Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,915 members, 7,824,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest (3501 Views)

Secret Of How To Lay Your Hand On The Multi Billion Cbn Agric Loan In Nigeria / my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys / Is It Painful For Chickens To Lay Eggs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest by rastamouse: 6:14am On Oct 03, 2015
Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest

Getting turkey hens to lay in the nest sounds easy. In fact I never considered it as an important subject during my early years of raising these wonderful creatures. When I finally realized that my hens are laying, each had laid about 8 eggs by then. I was lucky the foxes did not see the eggs first.

Turkeys are very gentle creatures. They are highly intelligent creatures, aspect of the turkey's life which many people get wrong. They are pretty good learners. Ironically, that can be the problem with raising turkeys. They virtually have to be taught EVERYTHING!

To get your turkeys to lay at the right place, you first need to teach them how to do it. Getting a nice nest available is no guarantee either. Through my years, I have identified ways to teach the turkeys exactly where to lay the eggs.

Get the sex right: This may sound trivial but you will be surprised how many people get this wrong. Sexting turkeys is not a trivial topic. It is covered extensively in the post here. You need to determine that the turkey is a hen. It will start laying between 6 to 9 months depending on the breed. With that done, you are ready to go!Look out for the signs: Laying is the final result of several signs of a matured hen. The signs are discussed in this post. If the hen is positive on all the signs, then it is time to start your own preparation!Location is vital: Like many other birds, turkeys absolutely love their privacy when they are laying eggs. They prefer a bushy area with moderate temperature. In preparing the nest this must be considered. The nest should be away from the general population to give the hen the privacy it needs.Observe the laying time: Turkey hens generally lay every other day when they start laying. They may break once every week from the cycle. Observe the creature and notice the time that it will lay. It is important not to disturb the hen a this stage. With the laying time determined, move the turkey to the prepared nest the next day.Confirm acceptance of nest: It is sometimes possible that the hen may not accept the nest. If this happens, repeat steps 2 to 4. If the hen however lays in the nest then that is it. 

Congratulations! You just successfully coached your turkey to lay in the nest.

http://turkeyview..com/2015/10/encouraging-turkeys-to-lay-in-nest.html?m=1
Re: Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest by rastamouse: 4:31pm On Oct 07, 2015
Anyone else losing eggs?
Re: Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest by olawale4725(m): 6:33pm On Oct 14, 2015
rastamouse:
Anyone else losing eggs?
. but its nt working,is it because fiers a male in dat same cage
Re: Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest by rastamouse: 6:57pm On Oct 14, 2015
olawale4725:
. but its nt working,is it because fiers a male in dat same cage

Hi ola.

Is the nest in a private place in the cage? They love their privacy when laying. You may get some few boards and block the place up.

Let me know what happens
Re: Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest by stanvesco(m): 7:03pm On Oct 14, 2015
my turkeys rejectd all forms of nest,except tyres! Den dey decided to group lay in 1tyre? I had over 8turkeys sitting in a very large tire with over 100eggs, eventualy d turkeys abandond d eggs with two turkeys, and both eventually died on d eggs.
I was a novice den,
getting ready to setup anoda farm?
Re: Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest by rastamouse: 7:10pm On Oct 14, 2015
stanvesco:
my turkeys rejectd all forms of nest,except tyres!
Den dey decided to group lay in 1tyre?
I had over 8turkeys sitting in a very large tire with over 100eggs,
eventualy d turkeys abandond d eggs with two turkeys,
and both eventually died on d eggs.

I was a novice den,

getting ready to setup anoda farm?

Hahaha Stan that is really interesting. But it was a mistake to leave all of the cramped on one car tyre like that. As I mentioned, u need to make the nest as private as possible.
Re: Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest by olawale4725(m): 11:40am On Nov 25, 2015
rastamouse:

Hi ola.

Is the nest in a private place in the cage? They love their privacy when laying. You may get some few boards and block the place up.

Let me know what happens

done nd SUCCESSFULLY
Re: Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest by greatjoey: 10:53am On Oct 29, 2021
My own turkey lays egg at different spot. Wjen i decided to transfer the eggs to the cage and locked the turkey inside, i began to break the eggs.post=38616361]Encouraging Turkeys To Lay in Nest

Getting turkey hens to lay in the nest sounds easy. In fact I never considered it as an important subject during my early years of raising these wonderful creatures. When I finally realized that my hens are laying, each had laid about 8 eggs by then. I was lucky the foxes did not see the eggs first.

Turkeys are very gentle creatures. They are highly intelligent creatures, aspect of the turkey's life which many people get wrong. They are pretty good learners. Ironically, that can be the problem with raising turkeys. They virtually have to be taught EVERYTHING!

To get your turkeys to lay at the right place, you first need to teach them how to do it. Getting a nice nest available is no guarantee either. Through my years, I have identified ways to teach the turkeys exactly where to lay the eggs.

Get the sex right: This may sound trivial but you will be surprised how many people get this wrong. Sexting turkeys is not a trivial topic. It is covered extensively in the post here. You need to determine that the turkey is a hen. It will start laying between 6 to 9 months depending on the breed. With that done, you are ready to go!Look out for the signs: Laying is the final result of several signs of a matured hen. The signs are discussed in this post. If the hen is positive on all the signs, then it is time to start your own preparation!Location is vital: Like many other birds, turkeys absolutely love their privacy when they are laying eggs. They prefer a bushy area with moderate temperature. In preparing the nest this must be considered. The nest should be away from the general population to give the hen the privacy it needs.Observe the laying time: Turkey hens generally lay every other day when they start laying. They may break once every week from the cycle. Observe the creature and notice the time that it will lay. It is important not to disturb the hen a this stage. With the laying time determined, move the turkey to the prepared nest the next day.Confirm acceptance of nest: It is sometimes possible that the hen may not accept the nest. If this happens, repeat steps 2 to 4. If the hen however lays in the nest then that is it. 

Congratulations! You just successfully coached your turkey to lay in the nest.

http://turkeyview..com/2015/10/encouraging-turkeys-to-lay-in-nest.html?m=1
[/quote]

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Alfalfa Grass And Seeds In Nigeria / Wet Season Farming / Where Can I Buy Ostrich Eggs In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.