Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,411 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity (1999 Views)

Time To End Senate Impunity – Falana On Ndume’s Suspension & Sagay’s Invitation / My Story, By Justice Dimgba - The Impunity Of The DSS / Fashola Calls For A Change In House Rent Collection System In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Rawani: 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2015
In the past couple of days we have been bamboozled with suggestions that the arrest of Diezani Allison Madueke by the UK authorities had nothing to do with the anti-corruption and recovery efforts of President Buhari, and would have been possible under GEJ.

However, the precedents of Goodluck Jonathan and the PDP which have always been geared towards shielding Diezani from any proper investigation renders that claim completely baseless, ridiculous, and illogical. Let us examine briefly:

1. Refusal to Release Full PwC Audit Report.

In April 2014, the Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, announced the appointment of the accounting firm, PriceWaterHouseCoopers (PwC), to conduct a detailed investigation into the accounts and activities of NNPC. The audit report on the NNPC, accused of diverting $20 billion, was ready in September 2014. However, the FG repeatedly declined demands to make the document public.

Diezani Madueke blatantly said the government was not making the report public to avoid a “rabid opposition”- a reference to the APC – from finding “all sorts of minute detail [in the full report] to create concern”.But being under the pressure from the public and the All Progressives Congress (APC), the government issued a “highlight” of the report. According to it, the alleged missing $20 billion, exposed by a former Central Bank Governor, Lamido Sanusi, was a farce. It was also concluded that less than $2billion was missing.

When the full report was finally released in April 2015 (7 months later and conveniently after the March 28 elections), PwC in a startling introductory letter addressed to Nigeria’s Auditor General, said findings in its 199-page report were limited to available information and did not constitute a review in accordance with generally accepted standards. The firm concluded that the NNPC should refund to the government a minimum of $1.48 billion of missing oil funds, a figure many Nigerians believe is smaller than the likely actual figure.

Why was the FG witholding the sham report initially despite public outcry if not to to protect Diezani by hiding the fact that the audit was invalid and a complete sham?

The Presidency then, even refused temporarily suspend her while a forensic investigation into the NNPC was being carried out as is the norm despite several calls from stakeholders. Where is the sincerity in the investigation if it is being policed by the alleged thief herself?

According to reports, Diezani was picked up by operatives of the SOCA - which has a working agreement with the EFCC in the area of investigation of allegations of financial crimes and proceeds - at the instance of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission which has been discretely probing her.

Is it the same GEJ-led FG that we are now being told would have co-operated with the UK authorities to nail Diezani?

https://www.naij.com/391316-fg-explains-why-it-cant-publish-nnpc-audit-report.html
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/182172-missing-20billion-oil-money-our-audit-report-not-reliable-pricewaterhousecoopers.html

2. UK Convicted Looter, Ex-Gov Alamieyeseigha Pardoned by GEJ.

In March 2013, the FG pardoned a key ally and political benefactor of President Goodluck Jonathan who was convicted of stealing millions of dollars". According to the BBC, this "irresponsible decision is a major blow to efforts to curb corruption in Nigeria". Chief Alamieyeseigha, erstwhile boss of President Jonathan who was Bayelsa Deputy Governor before Alamieyeseigha was impeached and later convicted for financial crimes, paving way for him to become Governor, before being picked as running mate of late President Umaru Yar’Adua in the 2007 presidential vote whose unfortunate demise led to GEJ's presidency.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21769047

That pardon was a huge blow to the fight against corruption, and underlined the impunity of the PDP administration, while demonstrating its contempt for the UK legal system.

Is this the same Government we are now being told would have co-operated with the UK authorities to fight Diezani's alleged corrupt misdeeds?
Nigerians are not foolish.

3. Umaru Dikko's Kidnap and the Reformed Anti-Corruption Czar

In London in 1984, a team of Nigerians and Israelis under the instruction of the then Military Head of State General Buhari, attempted to kidnap and repatriate the exiled former Nigerian minister Umaru Dikko. Mr Dikko, who had fled Nigeria after a military coup, was accused of stealing $1bn (£625m) of government money just like Maduekwe.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20211380

Mr Dikko had been minister for transport in the government of Shehu Shagari until it was overthrown by the military at the end of 1983. He fled to London accused by Nigeria's new rulers of embezzlement. Labelled "Nigeria's most wanted man", a plot was hatched to get both him and the money back. The extraordinary plan was to kidnap Mr Dikko, drug him, stick him into a specially made crate and put him on a plane back to Nigeria - alive.

President Buhari, who has emphasized that he is now a reformed democrat, has demonstrated his claim with his new approach to fighting corruption which includes the courts, international co-operation with relevant agencies, and without anaesthesia-giving Israeli doctors.
This precedent shows a leader that has always gone extra miles to apprehend corrupt government officials regardless of ethnicity or distance and Diezani's case is no exception.

It is therefore important to draw the attention of propagandist hirelings of the PDP to concentrate on reviving their comatose party and strategizing for their proposed northern presidential aspirant in 2019, instead of trying to steal the glory of a leader committed to fighting corruption, while assuming Nigerians have suddenly been struck by chronic amnesia and have forgotten the corrupt and impunity laden wilderness we have just emerged from. Diezani would never have been arrested under Jonathan.

16 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by munchfani: 12:11pm On Oct 04, 2015
SO PROUD OF MY PRESIDENT...LONG LIVE GMB

9 Likes

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by PassingShot(m): 12:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
OP, era of impunity is dead with the Poverty Development Party (PDP).

May that particular party and any other one with it's agenda of pauperizing Nigerians never ever make it to the presidency again. Amen.

OZAOEKPE:
"the youths of this country are solidly behind you ma, no weapon designed by PMB and his bandits shall prosper. Anything that happen to her, we won't take it lightly, we will being down this zoo". Quote me anywhere

-click share if you share my view, and like if you hate my comment

@ the emboldened, the last time you did a similar stunt, the outcome was surely not what you expected.

Diezani will be jailed and NOTHING will happen. Ok?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:13pm On Oct 04, 2015
"the youths of this country are solidly behind you ma, no weapon designed by PMB and his bandits shall prosper. Anything that happen to her, we won't take it lightly, we will being down this zoo". Quote me anywhere

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by neocortex: 12:19pm On Oct 04, 2015
Rawani, I opened your topic hoping to see where Buhari arrested Diezani
but I was disappointed because everyone already knows that Diezani was
arrested in the UK by the UK authority not Buhari.
On the issue of NNPC audit report, is it still with diezani ?
You must realize that wishing something to be true does not bring it to reality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by modath(f): 12:23pm On Oct 04, 2015
Rawani:

It is therefore important to draw the attention of propagandist hirelings of the PDP to concentrate on reviving their comatose party and strategizing for their proposed northern presidential aspirant in 2019, instead of trying to steal the glory of a leader committed to fighting corruption, while assuming Nigerians have suddenly been struck by chronic amnesia and have forgotten the corrupt and impunity laden wilderness we have just emerged from. Diezani would never have been arrested under Jonathan.

#Word....

Thank you correct person, after this i implore you to continue anytime the security seeker does any of his paid hatchet jobs.....

There are many impressionable minds that may fall for his wiles but he now will know there are progressive thinkers who are ready to take him on.....

Good one Rawani...

Let me add this Mo remix of Luda's song feat Nicki..

"My PMB good, my PMB nice, My President does stuff that their HERO couldn't do ".. *dancing*... smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 04, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Only foools will share your comment. You think she like common and Hungry man like you?What has she done for you or her community?You guys are something else walahi Mtchewww.

12 Likes

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Rawani: 12:26pm On Oct 04, 2015
neocortex:
You must realize that wishing something to be true does not bring it to reality.

Rawani:

According to reports, Diezani was picked up by operatives of the SOCA - which has a working agreement with the EFCC in the area of investigation of allegations of financial crimes and proceeds - "at the instance of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission which has been discretely probing her."

http://www.punchng.com/news/police-arrest-madueke-in-london-channels-tv/

Definition of at the instance of in English:

formal At the request or instigation of:
e.g prosecution at the instance of the police
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/at-the-instance-of

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Saifullah01: 12:29pm On Oct 04, 2015
Dezani should thank her stars this is not 1984 the headlines on Friday would have been :

Former Nigerian minister goes missing in Britain : a former minister under the past .....

And tomorrow :

Former minister of petroleum re appears in special curruption tribunal : the minister who went missing on Friday while attempting to board a plane from Heathrow airport has appeared on Nigerian TV screens inside what seems to be a special curruption tribunal specifically set up for her over the weekend. Two Israelis .....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by sunnyb0b0(m): 12:32pm On Oct 04, 2015
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by sunnyb0b0(m): 12:32pm On Oct 04, 2015
How about the arrest of Ibori?
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by theV0ice: 12:33pm On Oct 04, 2015
neocortex:

I like this your line of thought....

I love this trajectory your reasoning took because for once, PMB will not be accused of witch hunting or selective prosecution.

Next time questions as to why Amaechi is still roaming free are raised, they should be directed to the US, UN etc who were too cowardly to arrest him as he jollied in full glare of the FBI and Interpol at the UNGA recently

5 Likes

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 04, 2015
Nice write up

1 Like

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by theV0ice: 12:37pm On Oct 04, 2015
sunnyb0b0:
How about the arrest of Ibori?

GEJ got him arrested even as we can conclude he also laid the groundwork for Diezani's arrest.

GEJ can keep getting the glory as long as thieves are made to pay for their crimes

1 Like

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 04, 2015
theV0ice:

I love this trajectory your reasoning took because for once, PMB will not be accused of witch hunting or selective prosecution.

Next time questions as to why Amaechi is still roaming free is raised, they should be directed to the US, UN etc who were too cowardly to arrest him as he jollied in full glare of the FBI and Interpol at the UNGA recently

Word!
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Rawani: 12:39pm On Oct 04, 2015
Cc: GOATandYAMtheory, HungerBAD, Obiagelli, NgeneUkwenu Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Mogidi: 12:40pm On Oct 04, 2015
ok
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by angiography(m): 12:40pm On Oct 04, 2015
PDP shld understand that we voted in PMB on basis of 'fighting corruption'. Really, PDP is doing herself a disservice if they continue this propaganda against the anti-corruption war.

2. It bedevils me that PDP suddenly become an ally of Saraki et al...anyone alleged of corruption is welcome into the PDP. Saraki wasn't the first person to be dragged to CCT, Tinubu had once been brought there (it wasn't called a witch-hunt by the PDP then)!

Finally, the my Igbo brothers shld borrow a leaf from the Yorubas who despite the bias of the 'afenifere' group towards the PDP, voted for PMB against the will of the aforementioned elite group. Ohanaeze, Afenifere, OPC, AREWA et al are a grp of elite oligarchs who capitalizes on the emotions of their undiscerning tribemen to attain power (often times for selfish reason).

This is a time to join hands together and support PMB to lay a new foundation- a foundation of transparency, of due process, prudent spending- to build on a greater tomorrow.

Be mindful that I voted for GEJ in 2011...he was a good man, but not a leader

*" I belong to everybody and I belong to no one" PMB may 29

"I am not after anyone...people should not fear me, they should (rather sic) fear the consequences of their actions" PMB Oct 1

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Bugatie(m): 12:40pm On Oct 04, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Tell me you're joking

3 Likes

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by sunnyb0b0(m): 12:41pm On Oct 04, 2015
theV0ice:

GEJ got him arrested even as we can conclude he also laid the groundwork for Diezani's arrest.

GEJ can keep getting the glory as long as thieves are made to pay for their crimes

Was just asking if it was a return to impunity.
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:41pm On Oct 04, 2015
Last year, during the presidential media chat, Jonathan said that our legislators should leave Alison-Madueke, to do her job. What a shame!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Rawani: 12:42pm On Oct 04, 2015
theV0ice:

Next time questions as to why Amaechi is still roaming free are raised, they should be directed to the US, UN etc who were too cowardly to arrest him as he jollied in full glare of the FBI and Interpol at the UNGA recently

These wailers are so myopic in thought and are mostly driven by spite so their logical limits are not surprising.

They are in for a long haul, as Diezani is the first among more to come.

4 Likes

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:42pm On Oct 04, 2015
Bugatie:

Tell me you're joking
"if I'm not"? Quote me anywhere
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by theV0ice: 12:43pm On Oct 04, 2015
atbu1983:

Word!

My bro, they don't wish PMB associated with any success so we'll help them.

Personally, they can scream that PMB is a bad leader....its very immaterial to me.

All I want is for Nigeria to work....whether by Buhari's body language or GEJ's humility....

Let the country work
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by theV0ice: 12:44pm On Oct 04, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Was just asking if it was a return to impunity.

Well, what answers have you gotten to your inquiry?
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by NgeneUkwenu(f): 12:46pm On Oct 04, 2015
angry
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by theV0ice: 12:46pm On Oct 04, 2015
Rawani:

These wailers are so myopic in thought and are mostly driven by spite so their logical limits are not surprising.

Its their right to wail.... I won't interfere with their joy or pleasure or even pain....

If their wailing will lead to a better Nigeria, I'll buy them more onions to squeeze into their eyes so more tears can flow

Na God and Nigerians go win eventually

4 Likes

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by Bugatie(m): 12:47pm On Oct 04, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

"if I'm not"? Quote me anywhere

Very difficult to quote you on this one
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by modath(f): 12:51pm On Oct 04, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

I already get the drift that you are no longer serious about wailing, you are now just trolling for fun... cheesy

I gave it a like to sweeten your sunday, oya thank me....

1 Like

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:54pm On Oct 04, 2015
modath:

I already get the drift that you are no longer serious about wailing, you are now just trolling for fun... cheesy

I gave it a like to sweeten your sunday, oya thank me....
"do you expect me to wail till 2019? I will only condemn what is wrong about the government, and keep mute if there is any improvement".

1 Like

Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:55pm On Oct 04, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
angry
"mr fake economist".
Re: Diezani's Arrest: A Change From The Culture Of Impunity by modath(f): 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

"do you expect me to wail till 2019? I will only condemn what is wrong about the government, and keep mute if there is any improvement".

That is good enough, no one expects blind followership, just productive & objective criticism devoid of rancour & strife... God bless you.. appreciate it...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO ASK NNAMDI KANU TO STOP...."Prince Emmanuel Kanu,. / Asari Dokubo's Sister, Boma Goodhead Visits Ese Oruru's Family In Bayelsa.(pics) / Attacks In Yoruba Soil Are To Further Divide The South By The North.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.