Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend (6397 Views)

Dairy Of my Canary bird / I Call Him"No Discussion At All"...quality Male Long Coat Slant Back Gsd.sold!!! / One-eyed Goat Born In India (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 04, 2015
Hello everyone, met my canary pet enezz, he likes singing a lot and it's fun to watch him play.

1 Like

Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 04, 2015
More pics

1 Like

Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 04, 2015
I caught enezz using a friends canary, about a year ago.

1 Like

Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mrdrix:
I caught enezz using a friends canary, about a year ago.

Where and how much can I get one?
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2015
khenykhey:

Where and how much can I get one?

It depends on the one you want. Some are very good singers, hence can be very expensive, while some are not so good in singing. The once that are very good in singing can be from 8000 and above, while the not too good singer can be less than that, although you location can also be a factor in their amount of sales. I lived in Delta state, and what I have said so far, is the rate at which you can get it there. If you are really Interested, I know people I will contact who will sell to you. Where are you based?
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 04, 2015
The yellow-fronted/eyed canary ( Crithagra mozambicus ) is a small passerine bird in the finch family . It is known elsewhere and in aviculture as the green singing finch . This bird is a resident breeder in Africa south of the Sahara Desert . Its habitat is open woodland and cultivation. It nests in trees, laying 3–4 eggs in a compact cup nest. The yellow-fronted canary is 11–13 cm in length. The adult male has a green back and brown wings and tail. The underparts and rump are yellow, and the head is yellow with a grey crown and nape, and black malar stripe. The female is similar, but with a weaker head pattern and duller underparts. Juveniles are greyer than the female, especially on the head. The yellow-fronted canary is a common, gregarious seedeater.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by BOUNTYDOG(m): 9:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
One of my fav pet.
I've had some over time but had never been lucky to keep one over 2yrs as they entually escape or eaten up by rats.

It strange you caught urs,I used to think they live n thick forests & once they are out of the cage,they only roam for sometime and finally out of sight as they fly to the forest.maybe evezz just escaped from someone when you caught him,as I'd never seen that bird around only in captivity.
I am buying 2 this week,I was supposed to buy last week but seller said he just brought them in and needs to hear their voices 1st before selling.
He had dem hung in different cages partly covered with newspaper so they don't see the champion as he sings,they try to immitate him and thereby opening their voices.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
[quote author=BOUNTYDOG post=38701900]
It strange you caught urs,I used to think they live n thick forests & once they are out of the cage,they only roam for sometime and finally out of sight as they fly to the forest.maybe evezz just escaped from someone when you caught him,as I'd never seen that bird around only in captivity. [/quote

That's completely not true. Canary do not only live in thick forest as you claimed, but they are found in large number in rural area or a quiet environment e.g an estate. But they can be found almost anywhere flying freely. Do you know that I actually caught a female canary from where I hung enezz caged at the side of my house, and I have also caught a male and female that way. Here is the deal, If you can get a canary that sings very well ( a champion), also try to get a setting cage i.e a cage that can house a bird, and also serve as a trap at the same time like the one in my pics, and you will be amazed at how many canary you will catch from your very own compound. I have a friend that has caught over a hundred canary by just placing his setting cage (Trap cage) at a less disturb spot in his compound. It will also shock you to know that where I am based right now, canary is just like any other regular bird in terms of population, but I am the only one with a canary in the Town.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by BOUNTYDOG(m): 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
[quote author=Mrdrix post=38703997][/quote]

Wow interesting.
But I think location matters,I hardly see them in lagos d ones I see in lag are bigger and darker.just like I saw vultures in D east and hardly see in lagos
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 06, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:

Wow interesting.
But I think location matters,I hardly see them in lagos d ones I see in lag are bigger and darker.just like I saw vultures in D east and hardly see in lagos

That is true, but even when you hardly see them, a very sound canary ( champion), will bring them out. The truth is they may even be flying over where you live, but you may not be aware until you get a very good singer.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 06, 2015
Please do keep me updated with pics when you finally get your canary. What do you feed you canary with?
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by neronito: 5:08pm On Oct 06, 2015
I'm in Delta state as well, pls I'll like to come watch urs sing, where exactly do you reside in Delta state.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by mine42: 12:59am On Oct 07, 2015
Nice to read from you guys!

very true, u hardly see a canary flying around in lagos because of predator(hawk, falcon, etc)
You also might not get a good singer or trainer from those wild canary. The game has change, good bird (the singers and trainers ) are those trained from juvenile, and they very expensive because of singing pattern, and draws(unique sound).
Very good canary can cost b/w 70k-150k.
A bird by the name "blessing" was sold 1M last year. The bird is currently in Kano state now.
Bird lovers association of Nigeria will start bird' competition end this month. I wish u guys are located in lagos. Will try upload my bird' picture 2moro.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Baroba(m): 5:28am On Oct 07, 2015
mine42:

very true, u hardly see a canary flying around in lagos because of predator(hawk, falcon, etc)
You also might not get a good singer or trainer from those wild canary. The game has change, good bird (the singers and trainers ) are those trained from juvenile, and they very expensive because of singing pattern, and draws(unique sound).
A bird by the name "blessing" was sold 1M last year. The bird is currently in Kano state now.
Bird lovers association of Nigeria will start bird' competition end this month. I wish u guys are located in lagos. Will try upload my bird' picture 2moro.

One million naira shocked, na wah we don reach that level.. anyway, I had a canary when I was 9yrs old back in Enugu.. lovely charming bird, unfortunately an ugly sparrow tried getting into her cage and got trapped in the kitchen, my mum caught it and decided to house the wild thing with my canary. The sparrow in attempt to get out, managed to widen a small opening between the thin metal rods,na so my beloved canary escaped. We ended up with the wild sparrow thrashing in the cage in a bid to get out, who wants to keep a sparrow as a pet? My old man opened the cage and bid it farewell.. I cried no be small when I got back from school..memories..

2 Likes

Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 07, 2015
mine42:

Interesting, I would love to see photos of your bird. Are you also part of the competition? or just a spectator? which ever one, just try to keep us inform with current happening's in the competition. Besides where is the one taking place, and how is it organized?
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 07, 2015
Baroba:

One million naira shocked, na wah we don reach that level.. anyway, I had a canary when I was 9yrs old back in Enugu.. lovely charming bird, unfortunately an ugly sparrow tried getting into her cage and got trapped in the kitchen, my mum caught it and decided to house the wild thing with my canary. The sparrow in attempt to get out, managed to widen a small opening between the thin metal rods,na so my beloved canary escaped. We ended up with the wild sparrow thrashing in the cage in a bid to get out, who wants to keep a sparrow as a pet? My old man opened the cage and bid it farewell.. I cried no be small when I got back from school..memories..

Oh oh! It's kind of funny. I guess your mum thought she is adding an additional pet to the one you already have, little did she know that it doesn't work that way. Have you been able to get another one?
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 07, 2015
neronito:
I'm in Delta state as well, pls I'll like to come watch urs sing, where exactly do you reside in Delta state.

I'm at Oghara for now. How about you?
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by BOUNTYDOG(m): 3:04pm On Oct 08, 2015
mine42:

Very interesting,I have heard tales about them competing when I was a kid,and only happened to come across some ppl with the birds in their cars setting off for the competition,I learnt it was holding at the National stadium.
@mrdrix catch 5 and send to me na.
I'm sure my champion that escaped in lagos will be amongst the 5.lol
But seriously if u can actually set traps and catch dem I'm interested oh
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by naijainfogalery: 4:01pm On Oct 08, 2015
wont mind this
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by mine42: 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2015
Mrdrix:

Interesting, I would love to see photos of your bird. Are you also part of the competition? or just a spectator? which ever one, just try to keep us inform with current happening's in the competition. Besides where is the one taking place, and how is it organized?

Competition @ Rowpark Herbert M way. Lagos. It's a 8 group of 4. Very interesting anyway.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by mine42: 4:21pm On Oct 08, 2015
That is my is my lovely bird. Hopefully competing at this year National Competition 2015.

1 Like

Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 08, 2015
mine42:
That is my is my lovely bird. Hopefully competing at this year National Competition 2015.

Beautiful bird and cage. What do you feed you bird with, and how long have you been keeping your bird? Please don't forget to share pics from the competition with us.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 08, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:

Very interesting,I have heard tales about them competing when I was a kid,and only happened to come across some ppl with the birds in their cars setting off for the competition,I learnt it was holding at the National stadium.
@mrdrix catch 5 and send to me na.
I'm sure my champion that escaped in lagos will be amongst the 5.lol
But seriously if u can actually set traps and catch dem I'm interested oh

You just need to get a cage that is built specially for that purpose like the one in my pics and you're good to go. Where do you reside?
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by BOUNTYDOG(m): 8:57am On Oct 09, 2015
Mrdrix:

You just need to get a cage that is built specially for that purpose like the one in my pics and you're good to go. Where do you reside?

No I can't get them in my area if I like I get all the existing champions in my compound and set the trap,I doubt if a single canary will come around.I have known this bird for many years now,none fly around where I reside
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 09, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:

No I can't get them in my area if I like I get all the existing champions in my compound and set the trap,I doubt if a single canary will come around.I have known this bird for many years now,none fly around where I reside

Just the same way I thought initially. Before I started catching them, I was thinking the only place you can find them is in the North, not until when I caught my first canary before I became a believer. It's not like I'm saying you're wrong, but please think about this. Where did you think the champion that escaped from you want to? Don't you think others may still have escaped from other people in that vicinity? One thing I know about canary is that, a canary that escaped from a cage is not afraid to come close to a cage or even enter into a trap even when people are around. What I am trying to pass across is that as far as canary will continue to escaped from captivity, they can no longer go back to where they are caught from, but instead form another family where ever they find themselves, as they are already used to that way of life.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by mine42: 2:39pm On Oct 09, 2015
Mrdrix:

Beautiful bird and cage. What do you feed you bird with, and how long have you been keeping your bird? Please don't forget to share pics from the competition with us.

Imported seed and load of pepper. Definitely yes.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Martins97: 10:14pm On Oct 13, 2015
Anyone knows where I can get a bird cage that both traps and keeps bird should contact me on:08127110957
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by mine42: 10:25am On Oct 14, 2015
Martins97:
Anyone knows where I can get a bird cage that both traps and keeps bird should contact me on:08127110957

I'm sorry, it's a waste of time if u reside in Lagos and u want to catch a canary. U can get a load of canary in Ido in Lagos. Not trained one anyway. U can also get Cage of different designs and size there.
Got my cage overseas. But cld get a smaller size in shoprite Lekki.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by mine42: 12:11am On Oct 31, 2015
Hi guys,

Annual National bird competition will kick start this Sunday 1st of November 2015. Will update u guys.
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 31, 2015
mine42:
Hi guys,

Annual National bird competition will kick start this Sunday 1st of November 2015. Will update u guys.

Thanks
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 24, 2016
Hello Everyone, how was service today?
Re: Yellow Eyed Canary Discussion Trend by ndlane: 1:45am On Feb 27, 2016
hi i just came across this thread, too bad i missed out. av been keeping canaries since i was a kid. presently i have two; one of them i have had for over 3years now. i bought that one 1600 naira and its a champion now. the other one, i caught in my compound at Obiaruku, Delta State. am interested in buying a different specie than the one i have... any leads?

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Months Rottweiler Dogs For Sale / Adult 2yrs old boarbull dog for sale..discount 90k come and take / Dairy Of My Pitbull(smalls)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.