Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,982 members, 7,835,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: (2967 Views)

We’ll Expose Jonathan If EFCC Arrests Us — Ex- Associates / Senate Terminates REMITA Contract And Orders Prosecution Of Culprits / Pay Us Our Money Or We’ll Expose How You Rigged March 28 Elections –adhoc Staffs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: by bolicks: 10:50am On Jun 16, 2009
8 weeks is a whole lot of time to also collect bribes from the culprits of Halliburton, Okiro and Aondoakaa , please go home, retire. am personally not proud of both of you. I dont know if other Nigerians are?
Re: Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: by Gbawe: 2:39pm On Jun 16, 2009
dominique:

Good work proudly9ja and co, you really delivered. . .come thursday lets play out try what he'll propably come out with

A
unfortunately the culprits have not been revealed, he'll ask for more time and assure us that mike okiro is not going to leave any stone unturned and urge us to be patient and give the police any valuable information.

or
B
he'll parade a bunch of unknown individuals to the press as the "culprits" and commend the police for their good work.

either way, i'm not holding my breath to find out

It seems you have been proven right with option A. Aondoakaa, Okiro, et al now have another 8 weeks to 'shake down' more 'victims' for their own retirement/future ambition funds post life as AGF, IG , et al.  Addendum to your option A is ' insensitive waste of national funds ' in a shameful pretence that justice is being sought.

Also good to see that , as usual , Aondoakaa is already hinting at the deliberately self-ensured futility of his own effort :

Said the minister: “So, I have given them eight weeks to enable them to travel. But it depends on the cooperation we receive from those authorities there.

Our AGF, as well as being probably the  sleaziest AGF in the World , is a dumb morasucker if he thinks every Nigerian is poverty-ravaged to the comatose extent that they cannot differentiate between sincere leadership efforts and blatant leadership 419 !!!

http://thenationonlineng.net/web/articles/6863/1/Panel-gets-more-time-to-probe-180m-bribe-scam/Page1.html

•Members, investigators relocate to France, Switzerland• •President okays N50m budget •

Members of the committee probing the $180million Halliburton bribe-for-contracts scandal have got eight more weeks to do their job.

They are expected to break into groups and relocate to France and Switzerland, among others, to trace the accounts where some of the bribe cash are believed to have been stashed.
Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Michael Aondoakaa (SAN), who spoke exclusively with The Nation yesterday, said President Umaru Yar’Adua had approved about N40million for the panel.
The extension of the sitting of the panel followed a “far-reaching” preliminary report it submitted to the government.
The minister said: “They sought an extension based on the preliminary evidence they gathered. They said that there is need for them to travel out of the country. It means that most of the transactions must have happened abroad involving foreign banks.
Said the minister: “So, I have given them eight weeks to enable them to travel. But it depends on the cooperation we receive from those authorities there. They need to verify certain information as it relates to those accounts and transactions that came from those accounts to Nigeria. I think they have made some progress.
“We have nothing to hide on this matter but I will not try to comment on something that will prejudice investigation. I told you that the preliminary report clearly established that there is the need for them to make verification of some bank accounts, which now requires me to seek some financial and logistic support for them to travel abroad.
“That clearly shows you that we are committed. And on the very day they made the request, I met the President on that day and their total request was approved. On how the team will work, Aondoakaa said: “It involves segmentation of teams. One will go to France, one will go to Switzerland, others will go to a few countries, depending on where all these accounts are.
“Mind you, this transaction was structured in several countries and this is a transaction that even in the United States, investigation took years before they made a case file.
“We want to even show the ability of our security agencies. By the time we finish this report, you will be shocked that we have a competent security apparatus, including the Police, State Security Service (SSS), National Intelligence Agency (NIA) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
“I don’t think that they will disappoint Nigerians. We will just appeal to Nigerians to give us time.”
Asked of the tour budget of the panel members and investigators, the Minister said: “It contains their flight tickets, accommodation and duty allowance. It can’t be more than $100,000.
“Mind you, it is France, Switzerland and few other countries that they have to visit. They are public officers; you know the rate being paid public officers. They have to create their own secretariat. It is a very distinct investigation; it is not a police investigation.”
He added that the total vote for the Okiro panel is not up to N50million.
“It is a combined team of security agencies; they have established a secretariat, and the whole budget for the panel is not even up to N50million,” the minister said.
On the United States’ refusal to release the list of Nigerian suspects in the Halliburton scandal, Aondoakaa described the allegation as false.
He said he had received a letter from the US Attorney-General explaining that the document cannot be released because the investigation is still on.
He said: “The US government has not refused to release the document. In the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) we have with the US and Britain, each of the parties can suspend or review their evidence. And if there is an ongoing investigation, the requesting state can be asked to stay, pending the conclusion of investigation from the requested state.
“What that letter said is that they (US) are currently going on with investigation. And under MLAT, they first acknowledged our letter that they are working on our request. But at the moment, they have invoked a provision of MLAT that says that they can, for now, suspend forwarding the list to us if there is ongoing investigation.
“Now, there is ongoing investigation on the matter. That is, they are investigating other people in the US who may have been connected with the matter. They said as soon as they carry out their investigation to a certain stage, they will be reviewing the request from time to time.”
On whether Nigeria has cause to suspect that the US is not being forthcoming on the list due to some fears, Aondoakaa said: “We have no reason to suspect the US.
“We are having the best cooperation with them and I am enjoying an excellent relationship with them on this matter.
“Apart from that, we have also commenced our own investigation and the President graciously gave approval for our own security agents to visit some places. I made a request and the President approved it same day for them to travel to France, Switzerland and other places to gather evidence.
“All this evidence will be very useful to us because whatever evidence we are going to get from the United States, we need to have corroboration. For instance, if somebody is alleged to have collected money and we have got the document from his accounts either in Switzerland or other places where we have located some accounts, then we will be corroborating the transmission of the money. So, we are cooperating at the highest level.”
He debunked the notion that the US has been playing on the intelligence of Nigerian leaders on the Halliburton scam because of their alleged poor commitment to the anti-graft campaign.
Asked to explain why Nigeria should be investigating when the Halliburton case is already before a Houston court, the Minister said the fact that a case is in court does not mean that issues related to it cannot be investigated.
He added: “Investigation is ongoing; there are several aspects. If I charge a person to court, it does not preclude me from investigating other suspects who are connected with it. When I charge a person to court, it doesn’t stop further investigation.
“If other crimes are connected to that, I cannot just stop it; I will continue investigating. For instance, here in Nigeria, we have charged some people to court. In the course of the trial, if we discover that other people siphoned the money too, we have to charge them.”
Police Chief Mike Okiro, head of the investigating team, is due to retire next month. There is the thinking that the government is not plotting a technical extension of Okiro’s tenure, but the Minister said: “Let us not have suspicion. It is until his tenure officially ends that we can comment on such things. Has his tenure officially ended? So, let us wait until that day that he is officially supposed to have left office. Then it is up to Mr. President.
“We have no reason to tactically extend the tenure of anybody. We trust everybody in the police service. I think the President has his own wisdom and the wisdom he has exercised in making appointments has been strictly on merit and in respecting the hierarchy of the system.”
On the anti-corruption war, Aondoakaa said: “I think you people are convinced by the interview granted by the Chairman of the EFCC, Mrs. Farida Waziri, that clearly she is working.”
Re: Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: by proudly9ja(m): 4:53pm On Jun 16, 2009
Maybe if we all send emails like someone suggested, we will be able to get some of those editors to do their work rather than go behind and share brown envelopees.

email addresses:

PUNCH NEWSPAPERS
editor@punchontheweb

THISDAYONLINE
editor@thisdayonline.com
info@thisdayonline

GUARDIAN

editday@ngrguardiannews.com

SUN
editor@sunnewsonline.com
Re: Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: by proudly9ja(m): 4:27am On Jun 18, 2009
[size=20pt]Aondoakaa's clock

D- DAY!!!
[/size]

And so we finally arrive on D-Day by which the AGF and IG jointly promised Nigerians and the rest of the world that they would expose those involved in the Halliburton crime. Once again, our Nation's top leasers have shown that they can not be relied on. One will think the journalists who have always been in the forefront of fighting against the ills of the society would have at least mentioned or reminded both men about the promose they made 8 weeks ago. Unfortunately, our journalists have become stooges in the hands of these politicians. From SUN to Punch including Guardian, and including those owned by so called opposition, Nation, etc the story is the same.

I implore all Nairalanders to join me in sending mails or reminders to these nespapers as Ive pasted above and please post more if you know their email addresses. It will cost us nothing but five minutes of our time to send emails. and even if nothing comes out of it, we will know that while many are laying down their lives fighting for their land in the Niger Delta, while many fought and were jailed and harmed while protecting their votes in Ekiti, while others are stoning Governors in the north for inactivity and thus many thrown in cells, atg least we can say that we sent mails from the comfy of our rooms or cafes to put pressure on government to do the work we expect of them.
Re: Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: by asha80(m): 8:56am On Jun 18, 2009
Halliburton “probe” going up in smoke…IG Mike Okiro speaks from New York
Wednesday, 17 June 2009 17:01 SaharaReporters, New York E-mail | Print | PDF
The much-celebrated Halliburton probe, by which Umaru Yar’adua had sought to hoodwink Nigerians into believing he was interested in fighting high profile corruption in Nigeria might have collapsed after all.

Saharareporters sources said the probe, which is headed by the outgoing Inspector-General of Police, Mike Okiro, ran into a series of procedural and technical difficulties before collapsing midway into the intended date of delivery. Saharareporters had reported that the probe would fail, in view of the fact that officials of the United States Department of Justice had told us on condition of anonymity they will refuse to share information with the Nigerian government because of the suspicion that the entire probe was a farce and a calculated attempt to shake down persons named in the scandal.

Our sources deep within the heart of the Nigeria government have further disclosed that when Mike Okiro submitted an “Interim Report” to Yar’adua regarding its eight weeks of so-called probe and interrogation of known suspects, it was found to contain nothing tangible that was not already known to the Nigerian public.

The interim report was found to be heavy in speculation upon the amounts of money reportedly received by former President Obasanjo, his vice, Abubakar Atiku, former head of state, Abdusalam Abubakar, Ibrahim Aliyu who reportedly acted on behalf of Abubakar and also Dan Etete. In effect, it merely rehashed stories that had been in circulation in various newspaper reports.

The reports which, said our sources, had already been enhanced and decorated by the AGF in preparation for release to the media, had to be stopped by Yar’Adua who preferred to grant Aondoakaa more time and money for the panel to “look for something more concrete.” Subsequently, Aondoakaa announced that the Okiro probe panel had been given another 8 –weeks to carry out a “thorough” job of finding the culprits.

Note to the Audio: Earlier Saharareporters caught up with Mike Okiro, the Inspector General of the Nigerian police at the Millenium UN Plaza in New York, where, in the company of the Attorney General of the Federation, Michael Aondoakaa he’s attending a United Nations event regarding the peaceful handover of the Bakassi peninsula to Cameroon. Okiro spoke to us until we began asking questions he considered too sensitive and hung up the phone.

Meanwhile, the corrupt Attorney-General continues to shake down persons indicted by the report, which were snippets of the report cobbled together from the EFCC. Our EFCC sources said there is so far no actionable evidence against the suspects, but the Okiro panel has made tons of money from suspects in what has become the most aggressive shakedown for both Okiro and Aondoakaa.

Our sources have also revealed that the former presidents named in the probe were not interrogated by the panel, making it impossible for the panel to ascertain from them if they were involved in the scandal or how much they received from Halliburton officials. Our sources also say that the extension granted the Okiro panel is Aondoakaa’s way of trying to extend Okiro’s tenure through the instrumentality of the probe panel, as well as an effort to allow the Halliburton probe hoopla to fizzle out.
http://saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3034:halliburton-probe-going-up-in-smokeig-mike-okiro-speaks-from-new-york&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: by biola44: 9:43am On Jun 18, 2009
na 2day?
Re: Halliburton: We’ll Expose Culprits In 8 Weeks — Okiro, Aondoakaa Says: by vigasimple(m): 11:13am On Jun 18, 2009
NOT EVEN IN 8 MONTHS NOR WILL IT BE IN 8 YEARS FROM IGP OR AGF. YOU MAY GET IT FROM IBORI INSTEAD SINCE HE HAS THE LIST AS THE CHAIRMAN OF THE GROUP grin grin grin

YAR A'DULL want to be seen to be doing something but with the combination of IGP OKIRO, AGF AODAONNKA, EFCC WAZIRI, AND GUARDIAN ANGEL IBORI this will be so easy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kayode Soyinka Joins Ogun Governorship Race / MILITANT ATTACK: Ex-militants Blow Up Agip Flow Station In Bayelsa ? / One Of Governor Amaech's Model Schools In Ebubu, Eleme Local Government Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.