Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,384 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA (27939 Views)

Zenith Bank Mastercard Monthly Fee Scam / Skye Bank, First Bank Take Over Evans Medical Assets / How Can I Receive OTP Via My Phone With Access Bank Mastercard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by EbolaParasite: 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2015
moneybag100:
First bank should be liable for this stolen fund....if it was a USA bank that issued the card, I know your charge back would have gone smoothly. Everything with Nigeria is headache. If the merchant didn't want to release easily, first bank can file a case against it.

Calm down. All they need is to investigate. If the author truly did not make those charges, he can report the case in the US as well. Customers are required to sign credit transcations. If someone used his card, he is not liable and will get his money back. IF.

Do you know how many Nigerians have tried to play a fast one. They will come to yankee for hols, shop till they drop and then try to claim they didn't use the card. It will be investigated.

1 Like

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by urchman23: 4:47pm On Oct 22, 2015
Missing person pls. report to the nearest police in you see him.
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by EbolaParasite: 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2015
ga040:

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ADVICE, MY MONEY HAVE BEEN REFUND BACK TO MY ACCOUNT, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS ... GOD BLESS US ALL IJN AMEN.

It was probably a pending transaction that wasn't finalized afterall. Hence the refund. You come dey give everybody heart attack. cheesy
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by Nairalander01: 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2015
The op's issue has been resolved yet a mod moved this to front page. undecided

1 Like

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by MallamYahaya(m): 4:49pm On Oct 22, 2015
ga040:
My First Bank Mastercard Was Compromised In The United States of America [RESOLVED]

My is AKINOLA GBENGA ,I reside in Lagos Nigeria, I came to United States for Holiday.

My ATM Master Card with 1st Bank [ FIRSTCASH ] number 5399 2320 5893 xxxx valid thru 12/17 was compromised in NEW YORK and while i was in ATLANTA GEORGIA ,on Tuesday 05/05/20015 which i received an ALERT that i made use of my MASTER CARD which i did not and I made a complain regarding this issue so that my Master Card should be BLOCKED.

The TOTAL money that was remove from my MASTER CARD was #421,341.9 [$2,000 plus] with reference /
MAY-2015 14:02:20 [ 9AM Atlanta time ] By FBN/BEST BUY 00010280/ NEW YORK/NY/U. BAL NGN 153,285.61CR

My Master Card was debited Twice ... I called BEST BUY company about this incident that my MASTER CARD has been COMPROMISED and i was told to contact my Financial Institution.I came back to Nigeria on June 2015 and whereby i have contacted my 1st Bank branch and i was told that the Merchant company decline from refunding money that was compromised from my Account through my ATM card and I was told in my branch that [ 1st Bank ]will not do anything to the money stolen.

Please house i need your help on how to go about to recovery of my stolen money, from 1ST Bank of Nigeria.

It is a pity not much can be done by the bank. That is the disadvantage of using cards on machines of businesses that are not reputable. Your card was cloned and I presumed you used it at a shop where there is a CCTV. It was used to monitor you keying in your password.

Next time, only fund your account at the point of purchase. I.e. keep the money in savings and transfer to current when you need to use your card. Never leave substantial amount in your card account
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 22, 2015
@OP

No insurance on that ATM account and that is a shame. How in the whole wide world would you opt for something like that without having insurance company to back it up. You are to blame for not asking when processing it not first bank, a useless institution that is very vulnerable in their primitive banking system.
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by hustla(m): 4:54pm On Oct 22, 2015
Awon Omo Aye ti na ike e niyen sha
You sef sleep ontop bicycle oo, u no sharp at all

U don go use ur atm ontop site wey no secure before be that
There is little the bank can do
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by GboyegaD(m): 4:55pm On Oct 22, 2015
What kind of transaction did the merchant claim it was? If it is a case of card present i.e. cloned card, tell them to send you evidence of the footage that you were at the branch because for such amount, there is a need to confirm id. Therefore, Best Buy is guilty of negligence on their part. If it was online, perhaps, you compromised it yourself unknowingly. Nonetheless, you can ask for transaction details.
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by hustla(m): 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2015
MallamYahaya:

It is a pity not much can be done by the bank. That is the disadvantage of using cards on machines of businesses that are not reputable. Your card was cloned and I presumed you used it at a shop where there is a CCTV. It was used to monitor you keying in your password.

Next time, only fund your account at the point of purchase. I.e. keep the money in savings and transfer to current when you need to use your card. Never leave substantial amount in your card account

You must be a learner
I bet his info can be found online, he either messed up on a site, or he did something with his card and someone got the info and its not through CCTV or whatnot
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by asha01: 4:58pm On Oct 22, 2015
ga040:

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ADVICE, MY MONEY HAVE BEEN REFUND BACK TO MY ACCOUNT, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS ... GOD BLESS US ALL IJN AMEN.

na thank u we go chop?
anyway congrats.
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by abbey621(m): 4:59pm On Oct 22, 2015
Looks more like a pending transaction and less like a case of card fraud. Transactions that are pending are usually removed after a couple of days.....No need to panic grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by XuteSleeks(m): 5:01pm On Oct 22, 2015
fantazia:
BRO since first bank wants it the hard way, then u do it the hard way, report the matter to the authorities, to the army or navy barack, then let 5 TO 10 army officers follow you to the bank manager and see if your money wont be returned.

Is it the bank manager that held the funds? He is only acting on instruction. Maybe you should go with your 5 military officers to their head office and see who will get detained.

1 Like

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by favourmic(m): 5:01pm On Oct 22, 2015
congregate

1 Like

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by XuteSleeks(m): 5:02pm On Oct 22, 2015
FirstCounsel:
Put up a petition via an attorney & copy the CBN. That way u would put 1stbank under pressure

Very reasonable advice

1 Like

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by nwanwaoge(m): 5:04pm On Oct 22, 2015
ga040:
My First Bank Mastercard Was Compromised In The United States of America [RESOLVED]

My is AKINOLA GBENGA ,I reside in Lagos Nigeria, I came to United States for Holiday.

My ATM Master Card with 1st Bank [ FIRSTCASH ] number 5399 2320 5893 xxxx valid thru 12/17 was compromised in NEW YORK and while i was in ATLANTA GEORGIA ,on Tuesday 05/05/20015 which i received an ALERT that i made use of my MASTER CARD which i did not and I made a complain regarding this issue so that my Master Card should be BLOCKED.

The TOTAL money that was remove from my MASTER CARD was #421,341.9 [$2,000 plus] with reference /
MAY-2015 14:02:20 [ 9AM Atlanta time ] By FBN/BEST BUY 00010280/ NEW YORK/NY/U. BAL NGN 153,285.61CR

My Master Card was debited Twice ... I called BEST BUY company about this incident that my MASTER CARD has been COMPROMISED and i was told to contact my Financial Institution.I came back to Nigeria on June 2015 and whereby i have contacted my 1st Bank branch and i was told that the Merchant company decline from refunding money that was compromised from my Account through my ATM card and I was told in my branch that [ 1st Bank ]will not do anything to the money stolen.

Please house i need your help on how to go about to recovery of my stolen money, from 1ST Bank of Nigeria.

..thank God they refunded the money....i was about moving my Salary acc from access to first bank becos of another issue that brothers on withholding 15,000 naira from my Acc and not releasing or sorting it out....for 5 months now with all ma complaint.....honestly....banks should be penalized for certain things...we need laws to protect customers....moving to first bank next month anyways
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by ThisMeansWAR: 5:19pm On Oct 22, 2015
fhucking american thieves
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by akike: 5:22pm On Oct 22, 2015
ga040:

[

There is a 90% chance that first bank workers might be responsible.

Start from there
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by Realone92(m): 5:23pm On Oct 22, 2015
Atmmachine:
When i hear people say that Nigeria is the most corrupt country on earth, I just laugh at them.

USA is the home of theives and scammers.
They don't need to see your debit card or credit card to hack them.
If you make a purchase in any mall or shop and use your debit card to pay, there's what is called a skimmer that records every information on your card.
The hacker will use it on Best buy or Walmart (The easiest shop to scam). They will make a purchase online, they will immediately change the home delivery option to pick up because if the address on the card don't match the shipping address they will not send your item. They will go to Best buy or Walmart and pick up the item they purchased online.
There's a chip in every card that every phone detects automatically that's what apple wallet is, you just show your iPhone to the POS machine and it will detect your card.

I have seen professional scammers here in the USA.
From Tax refund scam to using someone social security card.
Once a person dies, the hackers will hack into the system, collect his/her social security number and sell it to illegal immigrants.

If your card was issued by any USA bank, they will give you back your money even if it is $60, 000

Same here in CA
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by lovejo(m): 5:24pm On Oct 22, 2015
OP.
I had similar issue with GTB in July and I filled necessary form and GTB contacted I was also charge by same merchant on June and ask if I need refund for both, so I filled new form for both an GTB told me to wait for 45 days.
I was debited from Poland and lo and behold when it is 48 days i got all my refund in full.

Initially I wanted to post my issues on nairalad, but I gave them benefits of doubt.
Just do what it is necessary to be done and limit your card transactions to like $50 per transaction and anytime u want to use it for high volume u need to login to your online account, this method works for GTB customers.

I do everything via email without going to Bank premises.
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by Dotng: 5:25pm On Oct 22, 2015
Atmmachine:
When i hear people say that Nigeria is the most corrupt country on earth, I just laugh at them.

If you make a purchase in any mall or shop and use your debit card to pay, there's what is called a skimmer that records every information on your card.
The hacker will use it on Best buy or Walmart (The easiest shop to scam). They will make a purchase online, they will immediately change the home delivery option to pick up because if the address on the card don't match the shipping address they will not send your item. They will go to Best buy or Walmart and pick up the item they purchased online.
There's a chip in every card that every phone detects automatically that's what apple wallet is, you just show your iPhone to the POS machine and it will detect your card.

Once a person dies, the hackers will hack into the system, collect his/her social security number and sell it to illegal immigrants.

If your card was issued by any USA bank, they will give you back your money even if it is $60, 000
This is terrible! What do we do about this?
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 22, 2015
GodMode:
ga040 you see why BVN is a bad idea...

There is no benefit yet for BVN that I can see.

1 Like

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by Dotng: 5:29pm On Oct 22, 2015
lovejo:
OP.
I had similar issue with GTB in July and I filled necessary form and GTB contacted I was also charge by same merchant on June and ask if I need refund for both, so I filled new form for both an GTB told me to wait for 45 days.
I was debited from Poland and lo and behold when it is 48 days i got all my refund in full.

Initially I wanted to post my issues on nairalad, but I gave them benefits of doubt.
Just do what it is necessary to be done and limit your card transactions to like $50 per transaction and anytime u want to use it for high volume u need to login to your online account, this method works for GTB customers.
Thanks for sharing. Can you kindly explain more? Would the seller provide their account details wherein you can transfer the funds to?
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by lovejo(m): 5:36pm On Oct 22, 2015
Dotng:

Thanks for sharing. Can you kindly explain more? Would the seller provide their account details wherein you can transfer the funds to?

What I simply means is that you can reduce your card limit to maximum of $50 or lower so any one that get access to your information and try higher volume it will automatically get decline except it is within the limit you set.
If you want to use it for higher transaction personally then you go to your gtb online account and increase your card limit. After your transaction then you can reduce it.
The fact is that there is no immunity to anyone if it get to identify theft. Just need to smart and reduce the risk.

1 Like

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by valves: 5:43pm On Oct 22, 2015
Banks need to tighten their security cos these fraudsters have found new ways of operating. Two months ago, my first bank account was compromised. I lost around 143k. Up till now I've not been able to get a dime from them.
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by overlord77: 5:47pm On Oct 22, 2015
FirstCounsel:
Put up a petition via an attorney & copy the CBN. That way u would put 1stbank under pressure

This is obviously the best advice I have read here. You can back up your case more by quoting CBN policy that says "no POS or ATM transaction above $300 daily". I see no reason why FBN should have authorised a transaction above that threshold.

1 Like

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by fpeter(f): 5:48pm On Oct 22, 2015
na wa o
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by adozie(m): 5:53pm On Oct 22, 2015
Too bad.
The US retailer was right based on what happens in the US. I live in the US and I once came Nigeria and during my stay my Bank of America ATM card was compromised. I came back to the US and reported to my bank. They immediately refunded me the $3,000+ Temporarily and handed the compliant to their fraud department. After two months they contacted me and apologized that this happened to me and made the refund permanent.

Unfortunately things don't work that way in Nigeria. Nigerian banks will always believe it's your fault. They have zero customer relationship and service.
Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by Kalvan: 5:57pm On Oct 22, 2015
Atmmachine:

The last time I checked, leaders in the US don't embezzle state funds and remain free. Nigeria is one of the most corrupt crapholes on this planet. That's a well known fact.

2 Likes

Re: My First Bank Mastercard Was Hacked In The USA by Nctrice(m): 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2015
The same incident happened to me here in Nigeria (Akwa Ibom, Uyo), during the Election period, I noticed I have misplaced my UBA Master Card on a Friday night, and was hoping to go lay a report of the incident the following Monday, only for me to wake up on Monday morning at about 2 A.M and saw a debit alert of 42k, I immediately called the bank to inform them that the transaction was not ATHOURIZED by me and they worked on blocking the card, and advice that I go to the nearest UBA bank in the morning to write a complaint so they could send the complaint to Lagos for onward forensic investigation.
By 8 A.M of that same day I got a call from Lagos that despite the software issue they had successfully blocked the card. I went to the bank and wrote a report, I called Lagos to inform them that I just wrote the report and Lagos called uyo and demanded that they send the report asap.
By God's grace I was later able to find the person who saw the card on the Friday night where I misplaced it, the fellow told me that he never used the card since the night he found it and nobody claimed it.
Information from the Debit alert showed that the card information was used to make purchases from a certain aliexpress.com.

I took the guy to the bank on that same Monday and we updated the bank staff on what had happened and they took note of it, but I did not inform Lagos that I found the card because I wanted them to conclude their investigations. Lagos told me to be patient for 12 working days for the forensic investigation to be concluded.

On Tuesday afternoon I also got another debit alert on the same account worth 1200 naira, I ran to the bank and withdrew what was left in the account, I called the Lady in Lagos and reported the issue and she was shocked that debits without my authorization were still occurring on the account despite it been blocked.

I kept constant tie with Lagos and I was directed to the head of a certain unit in charge of such issues in UBA ( when I mean Lagos I mean UBA customer service complaint unit) I kept calling and I kept writing her via email for every email I sent her I copied the customer care email address so as to keep them in the loop and in-turn make the UBA staff attend to me swiftly.

On the 12th working day after my report, I got a credit alert totaling about 38k, I immediately ran to the Bank and withdrew it, I came back to the house and called Lagos to inform them that my money wasn't complete and the next day the balance was credited. I wrote them an email thanking them for their customer friendly approach towards the issue.

In all, I learned that in such circumstance all one need to do is report immediately to your bank that an un-authorized transaction occurred on your account, as far as you can prove that a transaction occurred without your authorization the Bank would always look into it and pay you back after forensic investigation has been carried out.

On the TnC of using a bank debit or credit card there are a lot of condition with which the bank will not be held liable for any damage, but a transaction without your authorization is not one of them and they know.

Note: no matter where you are, keep your card details Safe

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are There Money Lenders In Lagos: Pleasei Wish To Know 1: / Please How And Were Can I Buy Goods In Bulk From Wholesalers In Lagos And Aba / How Do I Remove D 'okirika' Smell From Resell Clothing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.