Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,148 members, 7,835,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics (4130 Views)

OAU Ife Economics Dept-msc Class / Tbk417, Spikedcylinder, Jarus: Come, Let's Discuss Ife Economics! / Great Ife Economics Alumni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 8:39am On Apr 23, 2009
Anyone here that passed through the octagon building called the faculty of Social Sciences in OAU, specifically the department of Economics?
Or did you offer a course in teh department, as a student of other department?
Let's talk here:

Who was your favourite lecturer? Or if your favourite lecturer was not your best lecturer, who was your best lecturer?
Were you ever at the receiving end of Fabroo's knock, verbal of physical?
What was your best course? And the worst?
Who were your friends then? And if you don't mind telling us, where are they now?
Can we discuss Ife Economics products doing well now?
The 7:00am lectures: Did you like them?

Oya, let the gists flow. . .
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 8:58am On Apr 23, 2009
To set the ball rolling, I was 2006 set.

Much as I was not his fan(we clashed a couple of times), I think Adejumo was the best junior lecturer in that department, as far as I'm concerned. The guy is too good. There is not subject he can't take, with ease. Our set was the first time he handled Industrial Economics (ECN 311 & 312). and he simplified the hitherto dreaded course. Other courses he taught me like ECN 301, SSC 201, ECN 409 and SSC 102 were also effectively handled. His marking were also predictable. If you did well in his exams, you will pass. In other words, output(result) reflects input(what you wrote). It was only in ECN 312 I had B in all the courses he taught me. I clashed with him in final year when I I, alongside several other students missed early morning ECN 409 test, and after begging him and he did not heed I, on behalf of other students, wrote a letter to the course coordinator(his oga, Dr. Olusi) and she ordered him to fix a make-up for us. He felt I had rendered him powerless by contacting her Oga straight and he wanted to deal with me, claiming I lied in that letter. Under duress, other students that missed the test dissociated themselves from the letter and I was left to carry my cross. Only Bidemi stood by me. The case got to Fabroo and he ordered taht our exams be made 100% instead of 60%. I had thought he would victimize me, but to my surprise, I had 70A in that course.

Gotta go now. More later.

4 Likes

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by tkb417(m): 1:50pm On Apr 23, 2009
yepp

Also a product of Ife Econs(2004). i can list all the things i learnt from that school. from analytical skills, ARO, AWOISM, aluta spirit grin grin etc
yeah, econs was the ish when i was in school although the accounting guys were always ready to let us know they were the most happening.

as for academics, the course i enjoyed most was Industrial econs by Mrs. Soetan and i got 78A in the course. The woman was very detail in her approach. From her practical lectures to treating of case studies. I really enjoyed the course.
The course i hated most was ECN 205!!!
Kai, i tot i sabi maths but the games theory part of that course nearly failed me. i got 50C in that course and im sure it was rounded up. That means i would have gotten a D shocked shocked shocked

The lecturers i really enjoyed then were Shaibu, Dr.Aiyegbusi, FABROOOOOOOOO, Dr. Soetan (not sure if shes a Prof now), Dr. Olusi, Dr. Ben Folorunsho (my course co-ordinator) and Dr.Olomola.
Dr. Olomolas course (development economics) happened to be another of my fav. courses. very very very interesting. The lecturer that i dont pray to come across again is **** i cant remember his name sef. (he wears whites with a red cap everytime) grin

My friends~ i had plenty friends that work in cool places
the 9ja banks, BGL, Shell, Chevron Nigeria, BAT, Bi-Courteney, AIG, GM Motors, MTN, ZAIN, Standchart, Stanbic IBTC, Zenon, NDIC, Customs, NEPA grin, LASG, Maersk and so on.
all ma people in my class are representing.

so spikey and co lets hear from you grin

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 7:33pm On Apr 24, 2009
Hey guys, extremely busy this week. Loadz of gists will surely flood this thread when I'm less busy.
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by nisot23(f): 9:10pm On Apr 24, 2009
hey big brothers.Am going to 2 experience ife economics 4 d first time next semester(ssc 102).Jarus,am sure you graduated with a first class.Anyways,am in mac.
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by niyi09(m): 1:05pm On Apr 26, 2009
@topic
Economics dept(OAU), hmmm one of the most feared department in OAU.For me i have offered 5 courses in that dept and i have only gotten one "B"(ssc106).my best course was ECN 204( i almost scored everything).Its a pity my dept does not allow us to offer courses in Economics again,i would have sure gone for more.My best lecturer is MR ARAWOMO
@jarus
bros i hear say u be first class?,  na true
@nisot23
ssc102, is simple, just read
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by GboyegaD(m): 11:30am On Dec 14, 2010
I just stumbled across this while trying to search for Prof. Olomola's e - mail address.

Jarus was my set and one of those efficiency in class. Dem dey write for our NESA board that time, dat board wey put me for trouble because I go go read notice board and no go go greet my lecturer for top most floor imagine wahala. So na U make I get B for ECN 409 abi? I felt bad when I saw d result and I had a 66B becos I had to rush down from Bayelsa to write d test dat period n had to run back d following day which was a Friday. I know say U know me but na U sabi.

My favourite lecturer was Mr. Vincent Adejumo. From SSC 201 to SSC 106, ECN 311 and ECN 312 dat almost gave me an extra becos I chose to do it in part 4 instead of part 3 since I knew I was not fully on ground dat session. But dat man tried in his approach to teaching and I had A's in all his courses except ECN 312 and 409 where I had 40E and 66B respectively.

My best lecturer was Prof. Oladeji and his course ECN 421 was my best and perhaps the highest I ever had in dat Department 82A. My worst course were ECN 305 & 306 doh I did well in dem but d fact dat despite as much as i knew I never had an A in dat man's course was annoying because a lecturer expects you to cram his course.

The only time I experience Fabro's physical attack was in February 2005 when we resumed back from our 3 months break and I had to go collect my ID card from our course adviser "Expy Baba". I was dressed in a combat trousers and a shirt not tucked in, d guy saw me on the corridor and pulled me into Expy's office and told me to kneel down. Knowing what d problem was I immediately tucked in and den he asked me to go.

My friends den were very few and dey r d likes of Sola, Shakur, Sunne, Tobi, Ebun, Bose etc. One good thing I know is dat my classmates r doing well in all sectors and it's been very challenging.

Abeg, to d Economics graduate, I am applying for admission to do my PhD in d US and would need your advise on whom I should ask for reference from knowing fully well dat I wasn't close to any of them and besides, though I graduated above 4points, but I ad C in all my Macro courses (ECN 202, 302 and 402) and B in all my Micro Courses (ECN 201, 301 and 401) but I ad good grades mainly As in my calculation courses.

As for the 7.00am lectures, I hated dem too well I swear particularly in part IV cry cry cry grin grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 12:37pm On Dec 14, 2010
Jarus was my set and one of those efficiency in class. Dem dey write for our NESA board that time, dat board wey put me for trouble because I go go read notice board and no go go greet my lecturer for top most floor imagine wahala. So na U make I get B for ECN 409 abi? I felt bad when I saw d result and I had a 66B becos I had to rush down from Bayelsa to write d test dat period n had to run back d following day which was a Friday. I know say U know me but na U sabi.

I remember all these. My NESA board activities. How you juggled between your NYSC, school work etc. U dey try o grin

Abeg, to d Economics graduate, I am applying for admission to do my PhD in d US and would need your advise on whom I should ask for reference from knowing fully well dat I wasn't close to any of them and besides, though I graduated above 4points, but I ad C in all my Macro courses (ECN 202, 302 and 402) and B in all my Micro Courses (ECN 201, 301 and 401) but I ad good grades mainly As in my calculation courses.
Don't you think Shuaib is more approachable?

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by GboyegaD(m): 8:13pm On Dec 14, 2010
Thanks Jarus. D guy has agreed to recommend me although dose days we be enemy all becos I go come read notice board and I no dey come up. But I need 2 more. I have gotten email addresses of all the lecturers but I am still thinking of which of them to approach.

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 14, 2010
Bros jarus,abeg how many courses i go take 4 part 1.help us(economist part 1) oh so we fit be like u.
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by GboyegaD(m): 8:20pm On Dec 15, 2010
5 courses per semester. Abeg, try build ur GP from part 1 oooo cos Part III na GP breaker. Just be focused, attend lectures and I can assure U U will make a 1st class although I no make 1st class oooo abi Jarus?.
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 6:13pm On Dec 17, 2010
You were clearly a first class material.

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by GboyegaD(m): 8:41pm On Dec 17, 2010
Thank U Ogbeni,

Perhaps my PhD grades will tell in the future because I have learnt.

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Firebomb: 8:53pm On Dec 17, 2010
I'm an International Relations student,we do very little of ECN(e.g 201),but no be small thing sha.
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 9:30pm On Dec 17, 2010
When did you do your Masters? Where?
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by slap1(m): 4:08pm On Dec 18, 2010
These OAU 'boys' no go gree person hear word! Na wa o! Keep it coming guys, I'm enjoying every bit of it. I'm studying English & Literary Studies (not in Ife, though) and um . . . I think I envy you guys!

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by abdulslutsky(m): 10:09am On Aug 12, 2013
Hey bros,I hail una oo... don't tell me this topic is off hook when I jst realised something like this exists sad ...please keep it going pleaseeeeee

Well,as for me I graduated in 2012,economics obviously (oh boy! Menh,na secondary school I dey when my bros TKB and jarus left ife oo cheesy ). My best lecturer was mr olayeni-now a doctor tho(probably u guys don't know him) and I liked ECN 205 and mr adejumo's 409 and 410 like no man's business. Can't really say I had any encounter with prof fabro cos during our time he wasn't really into d dept. As regards engaged in something, bros honest answer na NO oo as myself and my peers jst finished service,buh seriously hoping sha.
@jarus
I've read lots of ur articles in jarushub and ur contributions in nairaland career thread.you are really a motivation for peeps.I humbly request for your mentorship as am planning to diversify into finance. My aim is to register for ACCA. Please any info,criticism and opinion about ACCA and MSc economics simultaneously is welome.
@tkb
Bros I duff my hat oo. U be my daddy oo(2004 menh..I was still throwing stones to mangoes in the tree then on way from school)..best wishes in ur endeavour bro

2 Likes

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 4:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
abdulslutsky: Hey bros,I hail una oo... don't tell me this topic is off hook when I jst realised something like this exists sad ...please keep it going pleaseeeeee

Well,as for me I graduated in 2012,economics obviously (oh boy! Menh,na secondary school I dey when my bros TKB and jarus left ife oo cheesy ). My best lecturer was mr olayeni-now a doctor tho(probably u guys don't know him) and I liked ECN 205 and mr adejumo's 409 and 410 like no man's business. Can't really say I had any encounter with prof fabro cos during our time he wasn't really into d dept. As regards engaged in something, bros honest answer na NO oo as myself and my peers jst finished service,buh seriously hoping sha.
@jarus
I've read lots of ur articles in jarushub and ur contributions in nairaland career thread.you are really a motivation for peeps.I humbly request for your mentorship as am planning to diversify into finance. My aim is to register for ACCA. Please any info,criticism and opinion about ACCA and MSc economics simultaneously is welome.
@tkb
Bros I duff my hat oo. U be my daddy oo(2004 menh..I was still throwing stones to mangoes in the tree then on way from school)..best wishes in ur endeavour bro

Send me an email: jarushub@gmail.com
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by mabanwo: 8:59pm On Jun 01, 2015
I graduated from OAU Econ in 2004. My days in that department remain my best moments in life. It was tough - poor student running academics and student union things. No favpourite tutor but Victor Adejumo had the most impact in my life. He was very intelligent and super hardworking. It hurts to hear of his PhD wahala....God knows better. Best course....hmmmmm.....Microeconomics and Dev Economics. Ma best moments in Ife - the moments I was the only A in a number of results - DSS308, Political Economy I and another one I can't remeber. I hate Psychology with passion.

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by mabanwo: 9:08pm On Jun 01, 2015
tkb417:
yepp

Also a product of Ife Econs(2004). i can list all the things i learnt from that school. from analytical skills, ARO, AWOISM, aluta spirit grin grin etc
yeah, econs was the ish when i was in school although the accounting guys were always ready to let us know they were the most happening.

as for academics, the course i enjoyed most was Industrial econs by Mrs. Soetan and i got 78A in the course. The woman was very detail in her approach. From her practical lectures to treating of case studies. I really enjoyed the course.
The course i hated most was ECN 205!!!
Kai, i tot i sabi maths but the games theory part of that course nearly failed me. i got 50C in that course and im sure it was rounded up. That means i would have gotten a D shocked shocked shocked

The lecturers i really enjoyed then were Shaibu, Dr.Aiyegbusi, FABROOOOOOOOO, Dr. Soetan (not sure if shes a Prof now), Dr. Olusi, Dr. Ben Folorunsho (my course co-ordinator) and Dr.Olomola.
Dr. Olomolas course (development economics) happened to be another of my fav. courses. very very very interesting. The lecturer that i dont pray to come across again is **** i cant remember his name sef. (he wears whites with a red cap everytime) grin

My friends~ i had plenty friends that work in cool places
the 9ja banks, BGL, Shell, Chevron Nigeria, BAT, Bi-Courteney, AIG, GM Motors, MTN, ZAIN, Standchart, Stanbic IBTC, Zenon, NDIC, Customs, NEPA grin, LASG, Maersk and so on.
all ma people in my class are representing.

so spikey and co lets hear from you grin

Watagoan bro
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by drseunzy(m): 11:19am On Sep 15, 2015
Ehn, I still be baby ooo to this Great men, I just got admission into that department. We are resuming by March, but I want to be better than my bros Jarus, by making a first class too. I've read many advices on his blog, one he said he has been preparing at home before he resumed with the help of Bros Taiwo getting him photocopied Ssc 101 note. Please how can I also get those notes, so that I can begin my own preparation?

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 11:26am On Sep 15, 2015
drseunzy:
Ehn, I still be baby ooo to this Great men, I just got admission into that department. We are resuming by March, but I want to be better than my bros Jarus, by making a first class too. I've read many advices on his blog, one he said he has been preparing at home before he resumed with the help of Bros Taiwo getting him photocopied Ssc 101 note. Please how can I also get those notes, so that I can begin my own preparation?

Of course, I con't find those notes again today.

But send me an sms on 08061198625 and let me see if I can link you up with a current student.

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by drseunzy(m): 8:08pm On Sep 15, 2015
Jarus:

Of course, I con't find those notes again today.

But send me an sms on 08061198625 and let me see if I can link you up with a current student.
Okay sir, thank you very much sir
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Alfredjones1(m): 7:19pm On Feb 15, 2016
Waow
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by GboyegaD(m): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2021
Just stumbled on this thread again. Looking back, I can say it again, I am glad I attended Ife. Jarus, how have you been?

I think this is time to give back in terms of advice to those who may need it.
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by Jarus(m): 2:14pm On Aug 13, 2021
GboyegaD:
Just stumbled on this thread again. Looking back, I can say it again, I am glad I attended Ife. Jarus, how have you been?

I think this is time to give back in terms of advice to those who may need it.

Hi D

Nice connecting with you again on this street.

I agree with everything you said.
Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by GboyegaD(m): 2:17pm On Aug 13, 2021
Jarus:

Hi D

Nice connecting with you again on this street.

I agree with everything you said.

How have you been? Seems you stopped posting on Facebook cos I haven't seen any post from you in a long while.

1 Like

Re: Fabroology: Let's Discuss Ife Economics by deewhytee: 11:17pm On Dec 10, 2021
Hi everyone..!
Just stumbled on this thread tonight and I felt compelled to add my own little contribution.
Although I didn't study Economics at OAU, but I did a few borrowed courses from that department.
Courses like SSC 106, ECN 201, 202, 301 & 302.
I think Professor Fabro taught us ECN 301 during our time (not sure oo... been a long time) and I really enjoyed his jokes and occasional Aro display during lectures, and his constantly saying "Pele... Pele... to students during our lectures at Ajose then.

I liked all the lecturers then, though I can't remember their names now.

My set entered Ife in '95 and finished in 2001... department of ESTATE MANAGEMENT.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest European Countries To Study Abroad / OFFICIAL 2016/2017 JAMB Choice Statistics For Listed Universities. / University College Hospital Ibadan School Of Nursing Form For 2015 Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.