Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,373 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm (13512 Views)

Tilapia And Cat Fish Coming Out Of The Ground In Delta After The Rain (Photos) / The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm / Nwachi Oster-Francis Develops Hybrid Of Tilapia At The Universiti Putra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by raymondhill: 4:06pm On Oct 08, 2015
Tilapia fish is one of the easiest fish to cultivate after the catfish.There are about 80 species of tilapia worldwide. The best specie for our environment is oreochromis niloticus. Popularly, called the nile tilapia, it is a very rugged fish and has the ability to multiply fast. To be an effective farmer, you have to avoid mixed-sex culture. Commercial tilapia culture is mono-sex culture.The male tilapia fish grows faster and bigger than the female. This means only males are grown to table size or market size. Tilapia is easy to grow compared to catfish since you do not need to sort them. It takes up to 6 months to get table size tilapia ranging from 100g to 500g.

Tilapia fish can be grown in earthen, concrete, cage or recirculatory ponds. They do well in water temperature of 20- 30c. They can feed on all sorts of food materials since they are omnivores. To grow tilapia, you have to buy all male fingerlings from reputable hatcheries. The flesh is meaty and very delicious compared to catfish. The key factors for a successful tilapia farming includes a good location, available of regular fresh water,quality feed, good drainage, quality fingerlings and great management tips.

There is a regular demand for tilapia in Ghana and a great rising market opportunity in Nigeria. To learn more about tilapia farming,you can contact me at raymondhillnig@yahoo.com

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by AzontoGhost(m): 7:39pm On Oct 08, 2015
raymondhill:
Tilapia fish is one of the easiest fish to cultivate after the catfish.There are about 80 species of tilapia worldwide. The best specie for our environment is oreochromis niloticus. Popularly, called the nile tilapia, it is a very rugged fish and has the ability to multiply fast. To be an effective farmer, you have to avoid mixed-sex culture. Commercial tilapia culture is mono-sex culture.The male tilapia fish grows faster and bigger than the female. This means only males are grown to table size or market size. Tilapia is easy to grow compared to catfish since you do not need to sort them. It takes up to 6 months to get table size tilapia ranging from 100g to 500g.

Tilapia fish can be grown in earthen, concrete, cage or recirculatory ponds. They do well in water temperature of 20- 30c. They can feed on all sorts of food materials since they are omnivores. To grow tilapia, you have to buy all male fingerlings from reputable hatcheries. The flesh is meaty and very delicious compared to catfish. The key factors for a successful tilapia farming includes a good location, available of regular fresh water,quality feed, good drainage, quality fingerlings and great management tips.

There is a regular demand for tilapia in Ghana and a great rising market opportunity in Nigeria. To learn more about tilapia farming,you can contact me at raymondhillnig@yahoo.com
nice ..
but let me ask, are the tilapias in green green soup already
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by Juliana7: 7:50pm On Oct 08, 2015
@ op, do u know d hormone dat can be giving to tilapia dat makes them all male in there early stage. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by Sprintson(m): 9:32am On Oct 09, 2015
I know the hormone u can email me for details chazereel@gmail.com or so u can ask the OP since I wouldn't want to derail his thread.I can't paste them here anyhow because whichever way u need advise on administering them....thx
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by Juliana7: 11:37am On Oct 09, 2015
@springton i ve sent u a mail. Thanks
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by raymondhill: 1:06pm On Oct 09, 2015
It is a sex reversal hormone that is mixed with the feeds. Check any raanan or dizzengof fish feed store.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by ultrazone(m): 1:23am On Feb 11, 2016
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by MAAF: 8:31am On Feb 11, 2016
Please can these hormone feeds be used on catfish farming to boost fast growth. Is hormonal feed good for catfish like it is for tilapia.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by MAAF: 11:41am On Feb 11, 2016
Please. Does anyone have a suggestion.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by MAAF: 1:32am On Feb 12, 2016
?
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by docchuks(m): 10:39am On Jun 12, 2016
Tilapia fish farming business plan will help your tilapia farming pursuits.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by Stmiceel(m): 12:22pm On Jun 12, 2016
MAAF:
Please can these hormone feeds be used on catfish farming to boost fast growth. Is hormonal feed good for catfish like it is for tilapia.

Even the use of that hormone for Tilapia is being criticized by genetic expert.

Pls don't try it for Catfish,it may render it unsafe for consumption.
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by showmedmoney: 1:17pm On Jun 12, 2016
raymondhill:

To start on a small scale ow much is neeeded
I will send u a mail
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by bubulistic(m): 9:39pm On Jun 12, 2016
Bro am interested o.. ..but you didn't finish your explanation....am a secondary school fishery student and I want to start a fish farm and I need to know which specie of fish to cultivate

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by babytejiri(m): 7:42am On Jun 14, 2016
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by babytejiri(m): 9:24am On Jun 14, 2016
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by oluemmakay(m): 12:15am On Jan 19, 2017
Please i urgently need about 30 pieces of Tiplapia Fish for raring. Where can i get a good one in Lagos?
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by uwadiahercules: 8:03am On May 22, 2019
Re: How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm by konews: 8:35am On Sep 07, 2020
Tilapia Fish Farming Business Plan In Nigeria PDF
get out best business plan on tilapia fish farming this will enable you build you business in the way you want and even more, make your business among the more productive, lucrative and profitable business in Nigeria.
https://businessplanhub.com.ng/tilapia-fish-farming-business-plan-in-nigeria-pdf/

(1) (Reply)

Lagos To Acquire 32,000-hectare Farmland For Rice Cultivation / Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming / Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.