Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Women, Childbirth And Laziness - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women, Childbirth And Laziness (26141 Views)

Hausa Muslim Girl Impregnated By Igbo Man Dies During Childbirth, Family Wants.. / Nigerian Lady Dies During Childbirth, Leaving Her White Hubby & Son Behind / Obituary Of Another Young Nigerian Woman Who Died After Childbirth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 10, 2015
Did someone just compare the average Nigerian mum with Kim?

How many Nigerian men will after a hard & stressful days work be happy to be given a plate of salad and sparkling water?

How many of you are happy to pay for a personal trainer to come to your house and train your wife

How many of you are prepared to buy/rent a larger house and invest in excercise machines for your wife to use in a spare room?

How many are even prepared to create time to encourage and support their wives on their keep fit regime?

Some cant even boil a kettle talk less of cooking a meal for their kids while their wives go to the gym to work out

So Omotola is now a perfect wife yardstick?

It is well.

When I tell some Nigerian ladies to open their eyes and marry a sensible man they prefer to go for other irrelevant things first.

Meanwhile the childbirth you are trivalising . . . .Women die during childbirth FFS!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by flyforall: 9:12am On Oct 10, 2015
dominique:
What those Hollywood celebrities will never tell you is the expensive plastic surgery procedure they undergo.

Abi o. You see men developing pot belies after marriage. At least the women lose their shapes when bringing children into the world. What's the men's excuse?

Blame nkwobi and isiewu for the men bellies
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by linyberry(f): 9:46am On Oct 10, 2015
contact me for clean 9 for those who do not have enough time to exercise
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by chiibekee(f): 10:27am On Oct 10, 2015
dominique:

My sister it's my natural physique o. Apart from having mainly fruits for breakfast and going on long walks, i don't have any weight loss regimen. Best way to lose weight is to reduce the carbohydrates and fats you consume.

Wishing you safe delivery smiley
thanks
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by ModiKen(m): 11:00am On Oct 10, 2015
yomi007k:

After eating eba,amala,yam,rice, with bottles of beer.

Good shape becoms only a dream..our food kills us in Africa

So its our African food that is to blame for us getting fat?!

Are you dumb or what?

Have you heard the phrase "lack of exercise"?
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by edwife(f): 11:33am On Oct 10, 2015
Okay i know that child bearing is a difficult experience and men should appreciate their women for going through 9 months carrying a human being.

But trying to make an excuse for that is very lame.Are you losing weight for your husband or yourself?we all know that FAT is poison.It kills.
Using Beyonce and Kim is a extreme but is it ridiculous?No because most of our girls have them as role model,so why not emulate them in that department too?Is it only their dressings and luxurious lives you want to imitate but not their physics?

After dropping that gorgeous baby,go out there and exercise.Eat healthy,be more active and stop using child birth as an excuse.Everybody can lose weight if they so desire,anybody.

Remember you are doing it for you,stay fit and live long.

6 Likes

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by ireneidiva(f): 11:59am On Oct 10, 2015
repogirl:
Don't talk until you can carry a kid for nine months, offload them and keep trim! angry

If you can't do that, then shut the hell up. angry

You think women love the way they blow up? What do you know about laziness? A woman taking care of her three kids is far from lazy!

I have three and I thank God I am slim naturally because I know how difficult it is for many women to regain their bodies, if you follow the kardashians you will see they struggle also, Kim even did lipo the last time to reduce hers... Do you have money for surgery?

You say dieting is cheaper, I laugh, I hope you have money to afford lean foods and vegetables for your wife. You talk about work out....do you work out? I'm sure you don't, I guess that's because you are either lazy or too busy which is the same with many women. Besides, even if they have the time, how many women have an idea of exercises targeted at reducing their hips or belly fat?

You men who do not have an inkling how child birth disfigures a woman's shape should either support your wives, pay for gym membership, or shut the hell up! angry
Abegi. What does 'how many women have an idea of exercises targeted at reducing hips or belly fat' mean? Is that an excuse? Can't they use google? My dear whatever you have passion for, you create time for. Childbirth does not disfigure women please, if you were fit before childbirth, you will still look good after childbirth. Ladies on this thread should learn and stop beefing the op.

1 Like

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Ewuro4: 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2015
See excuses ... Den don curse OP finish

I walked few blocks pevery single morning through all my preggies ... Unless you have a high risk pregnancy, I don't see simple work outs as a problem.

You're doing yourself a favour not him.

1 Like

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by eyinjuege: 12:17pm On Oct 10, 2015
dominique:

Who told you that Nigerian celebs don't undergo plastic surgery? You think they will broadcast it of they did?

What irritates me about your post is how you make it look as if it's only women that gains weight in marriage. The men's own is even worse. I was going through one of my friend's Facebook page, she's been married for seven years with two lovely boys yet she still maintains her nice figure. Her husband on the other hand has almost trippled in size you'd think he was the one that had the babies and is expecting another. Same thing goes for my hubby, he has gained almost 15kg since we married five years ago and I've not gained more than 7 kg. He has changed wardrobe more than three times since we married and his some of his new set of cloths are also starting to cling. And FYI not all women gain weight after babies, me and my sisters and some of my friends got our pre-baby figures back.

If women can get back in shape after babies, men that grow big have no excuse. They're just plain lazy.

Don't worry, you will soon get all the blame for your husband's expanding girthline.
How dare you cook meals that are fattening for your hubby? How dare you not wake him up early to go and exercise with you following tow to give him moral support? How dare you give your hubby peace of mind to make him so relaxed to even gain weight, you should have been giving him more stress as that is all what women are known for!

2 Likes

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by eyinjuege: 12:30pm On Oct 10, 2015
themilanway:

But seriously,[/b]women needs to start urging their husband in keeping fit as well[b].I find men with big tummy repulsive,no offence meant,just my candid opinion.

And here it seems is the crux of the matter! Even without meaning to, so many sound sexist to the core. Why must it be on the wife to take responsibility for the husbands weight gain. Why couldn't you just say husbands need to start keeping fit instead of putting the responsibility on the women. So its because the women are not urging their men to keep fit that's why we have fat pot bellied men around?

4 Likes

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by damiso(f): 12:36pm On Oct 10, 2015
I won't lie (kimoni cheesy)me sef used to use that child birth excuse but deep down I know or rather knew all those croissants, brioche,cinnamon twirl etc also had a part to play as well grin grin

That said people are different and have different health issues so it's really unfair to judge and tag all women (or people) who lack motivation to lose weight as lazy. Keeping fit and living a healthy lifestyle is a mental battle and some people genuinely have issues (depression anxiety low self esteem etc) that they need help with before tackling the other issue which is weight loss.

I have really really changed my lifestyle this year but one thing I am really also working on is not having the judgemental superiority complex that a lot of people who are fit/lead fit lives have. I will try to encourage people to take it a step at time and not dismiss them as 'lazy'. I now do 15km Runs regular but there was a time I could not walk 1km without moaning.

Rather than use lazy,let's encourage people to try to lead healthier fit lives.start from somewhere , walk to pick your child from school, take 15m walk every evening ,there are so many short videos on the internet that you can use to start working out. Reduce portions,eat less processed foods,drink more water,readup on it and just decide I CAN DO IT not for anyone but to feel better in myself.

3 Likes

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 10, 2015
damiso:
I won't lie (kimoni cheesy)me sef used to use that child birth excuse but deep down I know or rather knew all those croissants, brioche,cinnamon twirl etc also had a part to play as well grin grin

That said people are different and have different health issues so it's really unfair to judge and tag all women (or people) who lack motivation to lose weight as lazy. Keeping fit and living a healthy lifestyle is a mental battle and some people genuinely have issues (depression anxiety low self esteem etc) that they need help with before tackling the other issue which is weight loss.

I have really really changed my lifestyle this year but one thing I am really also working on is not having the judgemental superiority complex that a lot of people who are fit/lead fit lives have. I will try to encourage people to take it a step at time and not dismiss them as 'lazy'. I now do 15km Runs regular but there was a time I could not walk 1km without moaning.

Rather than use lazy,let's encourage people to try to lead healthier fit lives.start from somewhere , walk to pick your child from school, take 15m walk every evening ,there are so many short videos on the internet that you can use to start working out. Reduce portions,eat less processed foods,drink more water,readup on it and just decide I CAN DO IT not for anyone but to feel better in myself.

Thank you very much Dami
You hit the nail on the head

Rather than put all the blame on the woman, how about seeing it as "BOTH" your problem and deal with it together
There is a girl I know, a young wife with 2 kids struggling with her weight
Inlaws stay with them and both Hubby and inlaws expect her to come home and cook poundo and eba every evening.
She joined a gym, but they will be calling her duing workouts; come home, we are hungry, where are you, even though she had set days for the gym that she stuck to so they knew where she was
In the end she gave up and cancelled the gym menmbership.
I know how much she struggled
Will it be fair for her husband to wake up tommorow and complain that his wife is lazy?

In an ideal world, husband and wifey should be supporting each other but many times it doesnt always happen.
Weight gain is also a gradual thing due to bad habits and in some cases its just lack of knowledge on what foods to eat and not to eat, portion size etc.
The day I knew that carbs are not my friends and an wholy African diet did me no favours was the day my scales started registering lower figures grin grin

1 Like

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by BABE3: 12:50pm On Oct 10, 2015
edwife:
Okay i know that child bearing is a difficult experience and men should appreciate their women for going through 9 months carrying a human being.

But trying to make an excuse for that is very lame.Are you losing weight for your husband or yourself?we all know that FAT is poison.It kills.
Using Beyonce and Kim is a extreme but is it ridiculous?No because most of our girls have them as role model,so why not emulate them in that department too?Is it only their dressings and luxurious lives you want to imitate but not their physics?

After dropping that gorgeous baby,go out there and exercise.Eat healthy,be more active and stop using child birth as an excuse.Everybody can lose weight if they so desire,anybody.

Remember you are doing it for you,stay fit and live long.

My own is, staying healthy at any phase in life is 80% what you put in your mouth and 20% exercise. All i see here is people justifying gluttony.

Someone even said a salad is the ultimate healthy food. grin Salad is mainly veggies o; no proteins, no fats, no carbs. Such ignorance!

I blame it on ignorance and lack of education of these issues. If you know better, you'd do better.

Why am I even surprised; this is Africa, the more overweight you are, the more you're valued.

1 Like

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 10, 2015
BABE3:

My own is, staying healthy at any phase in life is 80% what you put in your mouth and 20% exercise. All i see here is people justifying gluttony.

Someone even said a salad is the ultimate healthy food. grin Salad is mainly veggies o; no proteins, no fats, no carbs. Such ignorance!

I blame it on ignorance and lack of education of these issues. If you know better, you'd do better.

Why am I even surprised; this is Africa, the more overweight you are, the more you're valued.

Not all salads
I do a mean Chicken salad
Thanks to Jamie Oliver grin
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by BABE3: 12:55pm On Oct 10, 2015
tearoses:

Not all salads
I do a mean Chicken salad
Thanks to Jamie Oliver grin

I meant in the general sense.

I don't even eat raw green veggies. If its not efo riri or a green smoothie, I'd pass. grin
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 10, 2015
BABE3:

I meant in the general sense.

I don't even eat raw green veggies. If its not efo riri or a green smoothie, I'd pass. grin

To be honest I think its education thats lacking
I remember when I was looking for a healthy menu that incorporated our Nigerian foods
I wasnt able to find anything and I had to make up my own menu
Even bad dieting habits cause more damage than good
Ive seen people who start unsustainable diets and eventually fall off the bandwagon
no one can survive on watermelon 3 times a day for one month
Slow, steady and sensible is the only way that works long term smiley
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Fundango: 1:11pm On Oct 10, 2015
madcheddartips:
I still try to play football on saturdays and my pregnant wife will say I am leaving her alone cos she is preg. And my belly is protruding gradually. Women self.
grin
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by damiso(f): 1:19pm On Oct 10, 2015
H
tearoses:

Thank you very much Dami
You hit the nail on the head

Rather than put all the blame on the woman, how about seeing it as "BOTH" your problem and deal with it together
There is a girl I know, a young wife with 2 kids struggling with her weight
Inlaws stay with them and both Hubby and inlaws expect her to come home and cook poundo and eba every evening.
She joined a gym, but they will be calling her duing workouts; come home, we are hungry, where are you, even though she had set days for the gym that she stuck to so they knew where she was
In the end she gave up and cancelled the gym menmbership.
I know how much she struggled
Will it be fair for her husband to wake up tommorow and complain that his wife is lazy?

In an ideal world, husband and wifey should be supporting each other but many times it doesnt always happen.
Weight gain is also a gradual thing due to bad habits and in some cases its just lack of knowledge on what foods to eat and not to eat, portion size etc.
The day I knew that carbs are not my friends and an wholy African diet did me no favours was the day my scales started registering lower figures grin grin

Na wa for her hubby and in laws.but I get what you mean.

And you are right it's ignorance sometimes especially on the food part because you can never out exercise a bad diet. Me I would go to the gym and come back home and eat 2 big croissants and one mega big mug of tea plenty sugar and evaporated milk cheesy and I wondered why I was not losing any weight grin one needs to really keep learning about food.

Don't be scared of carbs sis. You just need to eat more of the complex carbs and study up on which of the macro nutrients of food(me sef am still studying it I Neva reach like babe3 grin).Portion control portion control I can't emphasise enough is very key.

calorie counting is a bit tricky and I have never gotten it but I can confidently say I have gotten portion control on almost lock down.

Even fats are not such an ugly word .sugar or should I say processed sugar is the real enemy these days.

I have really stripped my food down to basically what it does it for me nutritionally and according to my goal at that point.
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by dominique(f): 1:21pm On Oct 10, 2015
flyforall:

Blame nkwobi and isiewu for the men bellies

Then they should hit the gym and shed all that weight in their mid section. Op should be addressing them instead of criticizing women who go through something he will never experience for one second in his life.

1 Like

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 10, 2015
damiso:
H

Na wa for her hubby and in laws.but I get what you mean.

And you are right it's ignorance sometimes especially on the food part because you can never out exercise a bad diet. Me I would go to the gym and come back home and eat 2 big croissants and one mega big mug of tea plenty sugar and evaporated milk cheesy and I wondered why I was not losing any weight grin one needs to really keep learning about food.

Don't be scared of carbs sis. You just need to eat more of the complex carbs and study up on which of the macro nutrients of food(me sef am still studying it I Neva reach like babe3 grin) portion control portion control I can't emphasise enough is very key.calorie counting is tricky and I have never gotten it but I can confidently say I have gotten portion control on almost lock down.

Even fats are not such an ugly word .sugar or should I say processed sugar is the real enemy these days.

I have really stripped my food down to basically what it does it for me nutritionally and according to my goal at that point.

My dear it took me ages to work out what is right for me
Ignorance is the problem
Like you I thought it was only down to excecise
Its not
The advantage of excecise though, is it makes you think twice before putting anything in your mouth, when you think of how long you spent on that crosstrainer to loose those calories you are about to eat in one mouthfull grin
It took time but now I know what to do and I am doing it plus Ive also managed to live as well
Sometimes you go on diets that rob you of proper living and thats why they are unsustainable and people fall off them
I still have my jollof rice/fried rice at weekends and I am still steadily loosing. I have an owambe today sef grin
Slower than I would have liked, but it stays off and doesnt come back and I am still enjoying my life
I was at redhot last night grin
But its easier for me becasuse oga too is on board
If he was demanding egusi and poundo yam every night, it wouldnt be this easy.
Portion control . . Im getting there
have you got one of those portion control plates? They are quite good

2 Likes

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by themilanway(m): 1:37pm On Oct 10, 2015
eyinjuege:

And here it seems is the crux of the matter! Even without meaning to, so many sound sexist to the core. Why must it be on the wife to take responsibility for the husbands weight gain. Why couldn't you just say husbands need to start keeping fit instead of putting the responsibility on the women. So its because the women are not urging their men to keep fit that's why we have fat pot bellied men around?

You could have made your point without tagging me a sextist,trying to sound smart?

I used the word"urge"because I felt that's the least the woman can do in ensuring her hubby keeps fit.You can look up the word in a dico if you don't know the meaning again.

Some of you don't necessarily need go gun blazing just to pass your message across,it reeks of childishness.
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by gechyy2(f): 1:43pm On Oct 10, 2015
There are just so many factors that contribute to permanent weight gain after childbearing..
1.Lack of discipline:you still eat anytin u want to.
2.Family history:rate of metabolism differs(some women even if they have 10 children they still remain the same ,some after 1 child they are all blown up).
3.Nigerian economy:women now have to work along side husbands and are still expected to perfom wifely duties and still find time to kip fit..where is the time?when u wake up as early as 5am to start preparing urself,the kids,food for the family,then u get bak home late and stil does the same tins..no time for exercise..
4.Poverty:some women may have the time and may desire to exercise but gym memberships are expensive,the money u make is not even enof for the family talkless of payin as high as 6-10k per month for gym..
5.Environment:some people don't live in a very safe environment so coming out very early to jog or walk may be challengin..
6.some don't just care about their looks and blame it on childbearing witout tryin to find a solution..
All the same what eva excuses,it all lies in UR HANDS it takes a lot of discipline,but if u desire it u can summount these challenges,gradually and slowly u can still get ur shape back..

1 Like

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by eyinjuege: 1:48pm On Oct 10, 2015
themilanway:

You could have made your point without tagging me a sextist,trying to sound smart?

I used the word"urge"because I felt that's the least the woman can do in ensuring her hubby keeps fit.You can look up the word in a dico if you don't know the meaning again.

Some of you don't necessarily need go gun blazing just to pass your message across,it reeks of childishness.

The least a woman can do? You reek of sexism to the core. No amount of showers you take can remove that odour from you. The word is sexist, and not sextist btw.

3 Likes

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by edwife(f): 2:10pm On Oct 10, 2015
BABE3:

Yes ignorance and lack of education by themselves.They will rather watch telemundo than read about fitness.It takes only 20-30 min to exercise.You don't even need the gym to achieve that.

I don't mock or call them lazy but they are,honestly-many don't even want to sacrifice those plates of oily foods with eba.I have many people,my cousin is even the most irritating one,i have left her to her faith.Stop eating after 7 how hard is it?Rather than drinking fizzy drinks why not replace them with water and fruits?After a year of counselling and even sacrificing my time to educate her,she is doing the same thing..... undecided There are so many health risks associated to fat but we will rather come up with all sorts of excuses.

If you can think it, you can do it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 10, 2015
BABE3:

People don't know you only need about 10 -20% protein in your food. Excess of it is not good for the body.
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by repogirl(f): 3:05pm On Oct 10, 2015
ireneidiva:

Abegi. What does 'how many women have an idea of exercises targeted at reducing hips or belly fat' mean? Is that an excuse? Can't they use google? My dear whatever you have passion for, you create time for. Childbirth does not disfigure women please, if you were fit before childbirth, you will still look good after childbirth. Ladies on this thread should learn and stop beefing the op.
woooooow, and you are female? undecided Let's see how fit you will be after childbirth!

You act as if you don't know about genetics, its been years since I did any form of exercise but I am as slim as a brook stick. I wolf down anything and it doesn't show. I know women who eat once a day and still struggle with their weight. Now add the weight from pregnancy on top of that struggle...

Look at Omotola who the OP claims is trim, abeg compare her fifteen years back and now and let's see whether upon all her 'fitness', she is the same. Whereas me who has never worked out for once is a tinny gbeku, almost thesame as I was in my twenties.

You better pray that your hormones and metabolism don't misbehave or else you will be like yukozuna, even after all the fitness exercises you will not get your old body back, ask Kim Kardashian or Omotola. You can only manage what you have as best as you can.

4 Likes

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by damiso(f): 4:10pm On Oct 10, 2015
tearoses:

My dear it took me ages to work out what is right for me
Ignorance is the problem
Like you I thought it was only down to excecise
Its not
The advantage of excecise though, is it makes you think twice before putting anything in your mouth, when you think of how long you spent on that crosstrainer to loose those calories you are about to eat in one mouthfull grin
It took time but now I know what to do and I am doing it plus Ive also managed to live as well
Sometimes you go on diets that rob you of proper living and thats why they are unsustainable and people fall off them
I still have my jollof rice/fried rice at weekends and I am still steadily loosing. I have an owambe today sef grin
Slower than I would have liked, but it stays off and doesnt come back and I am still enjoying my life
I was at redhot last night grin
But its easier for me becasuse oga too is on board
If he was demanding egusi and poundo yam every night, it wouldnt be this easy.
Portion control . . Im getting there
have you got one of those portion control plates? They are quite good

People keep asking me 'what diet are you on ' and I say it's called healthy everyday living.
Although I keep getting 'it's enough now' messages on my bb(just even got one now grin).

Yeah I got the portion control plates off Amazon and i meal prep everyweek which means at every point I don't have to eat just anything even when I get hungry. Hubby said to me yesterday though that I am becoming one of those fitness nazis as he ordered pizza and I did not even eat a tiny grain of it cheesy me myself am getting worried that my OCD don dey reach this fitness and healthy eating things.I can't believe the amount of self control I have these days with food and you diagonised it correctly grin I know how many burpees ( I hate burpees embarassed) I have to do to burn one slice of pizza so I just jejely keep off.
Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by byvan03: 9:04pm On Oct 10, 2015
Obviously, you are neither a married woman or a mother. Run a functional home, work your regular job,then come back and tell us how many times you work out a week.

Picture of you looking fit with 6 kids or you are talking wash wink. Keeping fit is for humans not women only.

2 Likes

Re: Women, Childbirth And Laziness by Godmother(f): 8:22am On Oct 11, 2015
This is a sensitive topic and I am not yet a mom. But I do have two sisters who are and look trim. One has three kids and is half my size. She works out regularly and watches what she eats and this is especially tough as she's a caterer and bakes all those mouth-watering samosas and spring rolls, yet she maintains her size.

I believe being slim post-baby takes a lot of sacrifice and determination. Its tough, but it can be done. And not all these celebs with great post-baby bods went under the knife. For some its the result of a good exercise regime or fitness instructor.

There are exercise videos that can be gotten from www.tubidy.mobi on phones that will work wonders.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Avoid Winners Chapel And Oyedepo / Lost His Wife About A Year Ago, Planning To Go Into Relationship Again / Should I Get Married To Her Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.