Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,485 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious (1119 Views)

"The Dangers Of Superstitious Filth Accumulating In Your Brain"!!! / Tell Me This Is Superstitious And Not A Reality / Richest Pastors In The World And Their Estimated Net Worth- Five Are Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 10, 2015
Most Nigerians are too religious and superstitious. I dnt understand why most people dnt work hard but they expect that if they pray or visit a man of God that GOd will bless them abundantly. They dnt make plans bc they believe that God has already planned their life. They believe that if they are not progressing that they are being tied in the spiritual realm. They also believe that bc they are christians other people will persecute them.some also believe that they will suffer here on earth bc they are things of the world and their reward is in heaven. They therefore do not make big plans for thier lives and do not relate with other people. I have been to a church in canada. Their beliefs are quite different. They preach mostly abt love, peace, hardwork, unity and so on. This is unlike our churches that preach mostly abt persecution, spiritual warfare, seed sowing, signs and wonders, donating your cars and wealth and receiving GOD'S blessings.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by An2elect2(f): 10:16am On Oct 10, 2015
Nigerians don't work hard?

And when did canadian churches become the yardstick for Christian living and fellowship? If you had used the bible, you would have made some sense
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by lordbish(m): 10:16am On Oct 10, 2015
That is naija mentality, they believe God to do everything for them even to brush their teeth.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by plaetton: 1:00pm On Oct 10, 2015
I find Nigerians to also be the most scientifically illiterate, to the point where we have secondary school and university graduates who are science deniers.

A bad educational system that still incorporates middle East toxic trash in the curriculum.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 10, 2015
Not only Nigeria,Africa as a continent and that's why we are known as the third world countries because majority are still living in the pre enlightenment era while the world is in a state of post modernism?

Tell the average Nigeria graduate you just painted a wall,he would touch to confirm if its true.
Still tell same Nigeria graduate,there is god up in the sky,he would agree with you with no curiosity as to why or how.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 10, 2015
plaetton:
I find Nigerians to also be the most scientifically illiterate, to the point where we have secondary school and university graduates who are science deniers.

A bad educational system that still incorporates middle East toxic trash in the curriculum.
Oga Plaett, how body?

I'm reading "Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles" by Richard Dowden. I'll just share a few lines from the opening chapter.

Beneath the surface of Africa’s weak nation states lie old cultures, old societies and communities, and a deep sense of spiritual power … The spirit world, Muslim, Christian or traditional, lies at the heart of many African societies, a core belief in the power of spirits, (which) partly explains Africans’ lack of political or social agency. It can undermine personal responsibility and weaken communal solidarity. At worst, it can inspire the most horrific brutalities"

"But such beliefs also provide immensely powerful defenses against despair and hopelessness"

Funny, just a funny cycle of the solution of the problem being a problem to the solution.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by plaetton: 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Oga Plaett, how body?

I'm reading "Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles" by Richard Dowden. I'll just share a few lines from the opening chapter.

Beneath the surface of Africa’s weak nation states lie old cultures, old societies and communities, and a deep sense of spiritual power … The spirit world, Muslim, Christian or traditional, lies at the heart of many African societies, a core belief in the power of spirits, (which) partly explains Africans’ lack of political or social agency. It can undermine personal responsibility and weaken communal solidarity. At worst, it can inspire the most horrific brutalities"

"But such beliefs also provide immensely powerful defenses against despair and hopelessness"

Funny, just a funny cycle of the solution of the problem being a problem to the solution.
Fine , thanks.
How you're side ? grin

And yes, such a funny and not so funny cycle. undecided

What makes it funny is the delusion that christian or Muslim superstitions are better and superior than traditional superstitions.

Spiri spiri this, spiri spiri that, Everything spiri.
Even empirical science is seen and proclaimed as Satan's spiritual deceptions.

I don't weep tire.
undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by orisa37: 4:54pm On Oct 10, 2015
Nigerians don't really know much about the God they are worshipping. Some take Allah and do everything to conjure His name to threaten others. Others take The God of Israel and refer to Him in Hebrew, Greek, Italian, Roman and English names without adequate thought about His real relevance to Nigeria. Whereas we need a God of Nigeria whose real names will be Wisdom, Knowledge, Understanding, Wealth, Glory; Excellence, Safety, Security, Success etc. So when these are inculcated into every Nigerian psyche, the result will be no worry, no superstitions, no fears, no abuse, no jeulosies, no negativities but a return to Wisdom, Knowledge, Understanding etc. So help us God of Nigeria. Deliver us from the Diesanis and the Aishas of this time.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by vladimiros: 5:10pm On Oct 10, 2015
Nigerians are superstitious because we have always been, we just replaced Tribal worship with Christianity and the rest was History.

that is why the black Man has not progressed
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 10, 2015
vladimiros:

that is why the black Man has not progressed
It's not that simple. Every nation and race on earth has it's own unique set of beliefs, superstitions and 'weird' habits.
Being superstitious doesn't necessarily hold nations back.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious by plaetton: 9:12pm On Oct 10, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

It's not that simple. Every nation and race on earth has it's own unique set of beliefs, superstitions and 'weird' habits.
Being superstitious doesn't necessarily hold nations back.

I partly agree.

If for example, we incorporate Odinani into our educational curriculum, we would grow up with a healthy sense of self identity that would not impede our ability to understand and appreciate modern science and rationalism, ,and then flow harmoniously with it.

But being Hoodwinked into the false myths of our occupiers has done irreparably damage to our collective psyche.

That, to me, is the underlying issue.

(1) (Reply)

12 Major Roads Closed As Pastor Chris Visits Ghana / Handwritten Draft Of King James Bible Discovered: Reveals No ‘divine Powers’ / "Jesus Was Drunk When He Promised To Come Back" - Roman Catholic Leaders Say

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.