Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? (5146 Views)

What Can I Do To Let My Wife Wake Up Early? / Some "Lies" Our Parents Used To Tell Us / I Kept My Wife’s Corpse In A Room For Three Months Hoping She Would Wake Up –edw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by hillsate: 9:21am On Apr 25, 2009
fellow Nairalanders, while reflecting on the past with a friend he told me how his parents always use a slap to wake him from sleep in the mornings. i was amazed. for me i only needed to hear my dad's voice call out my name, and if i dont wake up at that point he'll put me on the spot for the whole day. I took time to talk with some people on this topic and my findings have been very amazing. some were woken up with a kiss, others with a song, some were woken with backhand slap etc. I feel it is important to note that how u were woken up has a great influence on your day. just imagine someone woken up with a bucket of cold water followed by a slap!. fellow nairalanders share your experience and advise appropriately so that we will not wake our children up the wrong way. thanks.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by invisible2(m): 10:02am On Apr 25, 2009
My dad will not wake me up, he will lift me forcefully and stand me on the hard floor, if I fell he will not pick me up. It helped me to build balance from age four and I get fully sober seconds after waking, even now.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Outstrip(f): 5:34pm On Apr 25, 2009
LOL @ waking a child up with a slap. I hope this is a joke please. My parents just told us to wake up and we woke up. There was nothing ceremonial about it. Most times it was a knock on the door and one of them saying it is time for morning devotion. During the summer with my cousins my aunty would wake us up by singing loudly in the living room and we would know it was time for morning devotion
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by iice(f): 6:14pm On Apr 25, 2009
Just calling our names, if we don't wake, parents nudge us.

My grandma's own was to talk in loud voice 'it's lunch time already!' when it's only 7am. . .
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by tpiah: 7:42pm On Apr 25, 2009
oh dear.

Someone's parents always woke him up with a slap every morning?

No wonder so many Nigerians see nothing good in that country! Too many bad memories. undecided

and rampant child abuse too.

Just in case, is this a true story?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by hillsate: 8:46pm On Apr 25, 2009
guys, this issue of someone being woken up with a slap is not a joke! this is for real. That drew my attention to this. i just spoke with someone who told me the method used to wake him up from sleep is by pulling off his blanket especially during the cold i.e if they dont sprinkle a good quantity of water on him
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by invisible2(m): 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2009
With slap is odd, dont believe every story you hear. Nigeria is the best country in the world if not why are you so addicted to Nigerialand?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by MaiSuya(m): 9:31am On Apr 26, 2009
And what exactly is wrong in waking the child with a slap? It used to happen to me, later it became cold water splashed on me (ehhhh!  angry), then a gentle nudge, but now . . .
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by biina: 5:55pm On Apr 26, 2009
Call our names, else tap on the bed/pillow (makes a low frequency boom sound in your ears)
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by slimfine(f): 6:06pm On Apr 26, 2009
splash of water accompanied by name calling
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Sissy3(f): 6:12pm On Apr 26, 2009
if the child is a deep sleeper splash him/her with a cold water in their eyes and call out their name. i wouldnt want to wake up every morning with a slap or wrong in imo.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by ifyalways(f): 8:27pm On Apr 26, 2009
Mai Suya:

And what exactly is wrong in waking the child with a slap? It used to happen to me, later it became cold water splashed on me (ehhhh! angry), then a gentle nudge, but now . . .
everything is wrong with it.i cant imagine starting the day with a slap shocked angry
@tOpic,gentle nudge and calling of name.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Lax75(m): 10:34pm On Apr 26, 2009
My mom used to walk in and open up the curtains so that the sun would splash all up in my face. That was enough to get me up.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by invisible2(m): 10:36pm On Apr 26, 2009
Its not good to slap the child in the face. Gentle nudge will do fine.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by spikedcylinder: 10:35am On Apr 27, 2009
What happened to calling a child's name till he/she wakes up? Why is a slap needed? Did you people fight last night?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by mukina2: 11:06am On Apr 27, 2009
LOl spiky grin

They call my name, if that does not work,Open the curtains angry, or  they nudge me, but if my younger bro was asked to wake me up, he will either put something sweet smelling on my nose or sing till i wake up angry grin
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by dae(f): 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2009
I hate light when i'm sleepin', ma turns my light on! and if NEPA is nice to me by taking light, ma will simply call me or bang on my door. I'm a very light sleeper, got no choice but to gerrup!
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by iice(f): 5:45pm On Apr 27, 2009
mukina2:

LOl spiky grin

They call my name, if that does not work,Open the curtains angry, or  they nudge me, but if my younger bro was asked to wake me up, he will either put something sweet smelling on my nose or sing till i wake up angry grin

Tell my hubby to come sing for me ooo grin grin
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by SeanT21(f): 7:57pm On Apr 27, 2009
My mother used to drag me from the bed. My brothers always take the covers of me. I hated when they did it especially during winter.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by MrCrackles(m): 8:02pm On Apr 27, 2009
Topic

Hot Boiling ring on my backside!
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by invisible2(m): 8:12pm On Apr 27, 2009
Crackles, really?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by MrCrackles(m): 8:15pm On Apr 27, 2009
invisible!:

Crackles, really?

Yeah! grin tongue
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by invisible2(m): 8:20pm On Apr 27, 2009
Dad would stand me up and leave me to gain my balance while am still groggy with sleep. But looking back, I like the experience, any light noise now and am up like bullet.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by IGWEUSA(m): 7:34am On Apr 28, 2009
Growing up as a child, I had two differrent experinces
   ----------- at home, my mom usually woke me up by shouting my name, sometimes it goes with pouring cold water.
---------------At age 10, I was sent to a boarding primary school,(owned by fmr naija VP, Ekwueme),. Over there, they woke up LATE sleepers with KOBOKO. Mehhn, d skool hardened me, lol.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by invisible2(m): 9:07am On Apr 28, 2009
Had boarding school experience too, the seniors will skin you if you dont wake up yourself by 5.30 morning bell.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by solosimple(m): 2:36pm On Apr 28, 2009
I've been the very sensitive type from my childhood. Just call my name and I'm awake. This attribute is still part of me.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:43pm On Apr 28, 2009
Knock on the door
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Iranoladun(f): 2:52pm On Apr 28, 2009
@ Poster and all the other contributors, I'm actually laughing my eyes out here grin grin grin grin grin grin

This is an interesting topic. cheesy

Mum: Sweet Mum used to wake me up in stages; 1
st by switching on the light
or if there is no light (thanks to NEPA) opening the windows for sunlight,
If I'm still not up, follow by removing my blanket (cover cloth),
if still not awake then it is either cold water on my face or slap on my leg whichever my mum fancy.

Dad: My dad goes straight to the point.
Call my name and if I'm not awake
gentle nudge on the leg or cold water also depend on his mood

Even though Ii was (and I'm still) a light sleeper I usually refuse to get up until I'm forced to as a child.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by lalaboi(m): 2:54pm On Apr 28, 2009
i had to wake up as early as 5:30am(by my dad, with a lil toss on me body) . . , clean his shoes for work,even choose matching ties for his shirts. . .then i have to be ready for school wich starts at 7:45. . .  Leave the house with my dad at 6:00am , 6:15 latest (free ride) and save ya transport fee. . . lol
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by BBAnne(f): 3:01pm On Apr 28, 2009
my dad used to rub my upper arm till i woke up grin kiss
mummy would always yell my name embarassed
and brothers did that very annoying poking in the side thing. angry
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by amaikama(m): 3:14pm On Apr 28, 2009
@poster!! these method varies with few in the society oohh!! take for example now-

Ajebo---song/music/ name calling/ tap on the door or better still/ its morning. whatever his name or her name is.

Simi pkaki/Ajeboo---come, u no go wake up/wakiki!!/son, its morning/seun! morning never break for ur eye abi  angry, go open nairaland for me jo. na sleep u dey sleep.

Ajepkaki--gorimanpka!! u no go wake up abi with a frown  angry  angry/ boniface/slap to follow if he did not wake up in time/causing after much calling.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by platinumnk(f): 3:15pm On Apr 28, 2009
A cane on the back for late sleepers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Home Clearance- Quality Wines At Discounted Prices, For Celebrations/Gifting! / my parents dont want me to get married now / A Married Man-can't Help But Cheat On His Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.