Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,963 members, 7,835,216 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? (5163 Views)

What Can I Do To Let My Wife Wake Up Early? / Some "Lies" Our Parents Used To Tell Us / I Kept My Wife’s Corpse In A Room For Three Months Hoping She Would Wake Up –edw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by mystics(m): 3:17pm On Apr 28, 2009
cold water splash or a cane, this was in the boarding house sha, i remember waking with a blow even when i knew it was my seniors, but would pretend that it was a panicky or defense.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by seunbballo(m): 3:56pm On Apr 28, 2009
True talk. a lot of average nigerians kids living with strict parents got woken up with a loud voice or a big abara on the waist around 5am to go fetch water. i did that as well, was woken with abara to go get water for the house from the well at the backyard. i won't say such treatment is good or bad but personally those experiences have made me become the man i am today. Unshakeable,mentally,physically up for any challenge wat so ever.

Those who had lived with extended families or with their grandparents or big families would know wat i mean. It doesn't kill but makes u stronger. Gonno discipline my kids very very well even if am a millionaire but not slapping at the back to wake up. lol

wat do u guys think?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by LadyT(f): 3:58pm On Apr 28, 2009
My mum sometimes would stand over the bed and clap LOL That always made me laugh like what are you doing woman!?

But shouting our name is her usual standard. I think its very wrong to slap someone awake. Cant you tap them?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by tubabie(f): 4:16pm On Apr 28, 2009
Just call my name or a knock on the door and am awake.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by tpiah: 4:25pm On Apr 28, 2009
cockcrow grin
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by abbey10(m): 5:09pm On Apr 28, 2009
My father wakes up by 3am,starts playing music,after like 20 mins will now wake you up saying he's looking or one of his cassette tapes or cartridges.
If by then you're still looking askance,you will get cold water on your body/bed as the case may be. grin
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by crescent(f): 5:49pm On Apr 28, 2009
Name calling and i am on my foot, light sleeper
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by ashaby(f): 5:54pm On Apr 28, 2009
By the time my dad starts killing invisible mosquitoes around the house at 5.30am, u must wake up sha! grin
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by JJCLondon: 7:54pm On Apr 28, 2009
NLs, maybe am on d wrong thread, but every other method has been mentioned here, except ''pinching'', which leaves u shouting as u are waking up from deep sleep, especially when it's ur SIBLING who has the onerous task of bringing u back from lalaland, instead of just our parents, dose were d days o, ''do me i do you, '' all done in love I guess? grin
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 28, 2009
this topic is so nostalgic, i'm sure i got teary eyed just reading through it, always have been a light sleeper as against my brothers (2 of them). it'd take lots of name-calling to get them off their beds and then there was a new 'law' as instituted by my much older cousin who raised us up! here goes: whoever awoke first, got the liberty of waking the others in whatever manner possible without repercussions!!!Geez, that was about the only way I could get back @ my older brother (for bully attempts)- coming up with varying manners of waking him up - iceblock over his eyes, water in his ears, of course i didn't get away with it for long : our parents had to separate more fights too often,

in the end, we ended up in different rooms, and then i got shipped to boarding house!!!

lesson learnt: that was just the beginning of intense rivalry btw my elder brother and I, up till our early adult years, we're still not as close as i'd have desired but thank goodness for maturity and God's grace!!!
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 28, 2009
Light sleeper, just have to call/scream my name.

Unless am pretending and dnt want to get up. Then she comes with pankere. embarassed tongue
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by hackney(m): 10:55pm On Apr 28, 2009
If my parents woke me with a slap, by now they will be in a care home.
what chance does a child have in life when his own parents wake him up with a slap?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by finemocha(f): 12:50am On Apr 29, 2009
my twin poured water down my ears a lot, i literally spent most of my childhood chasing her around, threatening to break her head
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 29, 2009
a gentle tap on the laps, or slap(when necessary), then later it became just callin of name grin
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by segzicres(m): 10:50am On Apr 29, 2009
my elder sister always enjoys sitting in my back or stomach, that always works for me, especially if i work over-night.
but most people have always gotten the ABARA on their backs.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by topgirl: 11:16am On Apr 29, 2009
when i was younger,my mum wud come in2 ma room n tickle my boom-boom(i always sleep with my face sideways n chest down) but these days nobody wakes me up o.especially if i have to catch up with d staff bus.i eventually get to wake up every other person in d house.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by luxoire(f): 11:22am On Apr 29, 2009
hahaha omo some parents can be harsh ohh - don't you know waking someone up so suddenly can cause shock?

my mom used to call my name - or just start making breakfast (dodo and egg with sardines) tongue and i am up!

or an Alarm clock is enough too especially during school time - if you wake up and stop the alarm AND THEN go back to sleep - then she'll come and talk to you. smiley smiley
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by ugbeda(m): 8:53pm On Apr 29, 2009
@ poster, good topic i must confess. but does the way one wakes up has a contribution to ones development?
Well, my DAD will knock heavily on my door and say the time. then it is left for you to remember the task ahead of you. though am a light sleeper, immediately he touches my door am up.
And my MUM, my pent name she do call after a touch at the door. Note i grew up in the village. God bless.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by posakosa(m): 3:26am On Apr 30, 2009
This post is fuuunnny!

wake up a child with a slap, sounds like some boarding school shyt!
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by blackspade(m): 8:04am On Apr 30, 2009
My mum used to bang the shit out of our door in the morning!! If I we didn't wake, she would start banging on the wall!
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by kritikul(f): 10:13am On Apr 30, 2009
blackspade:

My mum used to bang the shit out of our door in the morning!! If I we didn't wake, she would start banging on the wall!

If u didnt hear the bang on the door, is it the one on the wall you would hear?
my mum would first call your name softly, she would give you sometime to come out for prayers, if u didnt show up, then she would come back and shout it so loud that you would quicly jump out of bed and the sleep would instantly clear from your eyes.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by bsanya(f): 11:51am On Apr 30, 2009
Calling of my name ,gets me on my feet
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by ajekpaks(m): 5:37pm On Apr 30, 2009
Its no question where I stay

Na violent upwake we all get for mah area

If you're lucky, you get water, or a lil' slap

Normaly, na Cain made of wires sticks and all that

then the worse is the slaps I mean wicked slaps

throughout that day you go dey fear to close your eyes grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Pataki: 5:53pm On Apr 30, 2009
It depends on which side of the bed my parents woke up on. Most times, it could be by knocking on the door. But other than that, since I am a deep sleeper, I have to be personally tapped to wake-up and closely monitored that sleep has actually vamoosed from me eyes!
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Hauwa1: 6:42pm On Apr 30, 2009
morning and night owl here.

@Pataki,
Seriously, your parents still wake you up from sleep?  hmmmmm cool.
mo ro pe o kin se omode mo, coolu sha o cool
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Pataki: 7:17pm On Apr 30, 2009
*Hauwa*:

@Pataki,
Seriously, your parents still wake you up from sleep?  hmmmmm cool.
mo ro pe o kin se omode mo, coolu sha o cool
You are not serious. Do my parents even care what I am doing any longer? grin How did your parents wake you up in your earlier years? tongue Was it with koboko? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

How are you doing today?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by 4Play(m): 7:20pm On Apr 30, 2009
Where did you people grow up, boot camp?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by TOYOSI20(f): 8:53pm On Apr 30, 2009
Errr. . . .the way u wake Humans up from sleep, by calling out their names, . . . . undecided
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Hauwa1: 9:31am On May 01, 2009
@ Pataki,
when i was at home, always up once my dad is up  cheesy (4am). it is an habit now.
always excited to start the next day cheesy

i'm good, thanks. how are you doing too?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by topesteven(m): 2:55pm On May 01, 2009
My mother wakes us up, just putting on the light. Thats all. We all blended with time.
Does the method have anything to do with your mornings?
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by Fhemmmy: 3:25pm On May 01, 2009
Screaming in my ears.
Tickling me - which i hate so bad.
Re: What Method Was Used To Wake You From Sleep? by aramidesos: 5:13pm On May 01, 2009
My dad used to wake up my siblings and I by ringing a bell at the first instance. If you were not at the prayer room in two minutes, you would have water sprinkled on your head. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Home Clearance- Quality Wines At Discounted Prices, For Celebrations/Gifting! / Love And Mercy / Why Do Many Girls Have Bad Attitude? : My Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.