Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,913 members, 7,828,193 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! (1477 Views)

PMB Must Act Like A Dictator For Nigeria To Be Set-aright. / Nigerians Losing Productivity In Search Of Fuel, Buhari Must Act - Ezekwesili / Pictures Of Developments in Akwa Ibom State (uncommon Transformation) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by PapaBrowne(m): 10:46am On Apr 27, 2009
The Swine Flu Virus seems to be spreading at an alarming rate.
Nigeria should do something to prevent it from reaching its shores now, especially as the country doesn't have the resources and infrastructure to contain the eventuality of a pandemic.

Send an email to Dora Akunyili to inform Nigerians on what to do and what the government plans to do!
First she is the Minister of Information, then she is also a healthcare professional and she is the only Minister that seems to care about Nigerians!
So send her an email and tell them (the Federal Government) to act now!!

This is her email address: dakunyili@nigeria.gov.ng

The latest news and statistics!

Developments on swine flu worldwide

By The Associated Press The Associated Press – Sun Apr 26, 10:55 pm ET

Key developments Sunday on swine flu outbreaks:

• Deaths: 103, all in Mexico. 22 confirmed as swine flu, 81 suspected.

• Sickened: 1,614 in Mexico, suspected or confirmed; 20 confirmed in U.S.; 6 confirmed in Canada; 13 suspected in New Zealand; 7 suspected in Spain; 1 suspected in France; 1 suspected in Israel; 1 suspected in Brazil.

• Locations in Mexico: 17 states, including Mexico City, Mexico State, Veracruz, Oaxaca, Baja California and San Luis Potosi. Some, including Oaxaca, Mexico City and Baja California, have tourist areas, but authorities have not said where in these states the outbreaks occurred.

• Locations in U.S.: 8 in New York, 7 in California, 2 in Kansas, 2 in Texas and 1 in Ohio.

• Safety measures in Mexico: In Mexico City, surgical masks given to subway passengers, public events canceled, schools and public venues closed and church services postponed. President Felipe Calderon has assumed new powers to isolate infected people. World Bank is providing Mexico with more than $200 million in loans to help with the outbreak.

• Safety measures in U.S: Roughly 12 million doses of Tamiflu being moved from federal stockpile to be delivered to states. Travelers at border asked about travel to flu-stricken areas. St. Francis Preparatory School in New York City, where eight cases are confirmed, closed Monday and Tuesday. St. Mel's Catholic School in Fair Oaks, Calif., closed until at least Thursday as officials investigate possible infection of seventh-grader. Fourteen schools in the Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City Independent School District in Texas, including high school where two cases are confirmed, closed for at least the next week.

• Safety measures worldwide: Airports screening travelers from Mexico and United States for flu symptoms. China, Russia, Taiwan and Bolivia plan to put anyone with symptoms under quarantine. Hong Kong and South Korea warn against travel to Mexico City and three provinces. Italy, Poland and Venezuela advised citizens to postpone travel to affected areas of Mexico and the United States. Some countries increasing screening of pigs and pork imports or banning them outright.

Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by dnex(m): 11:05am On Apr 27, 2009
Abeg, just take your own dose of Tamiflu or any relevant anti-viral and leave the rest. All man for himself right now.

Well, I'll still send a mail to the Minister of Information, though I feel the more relevant ministry is that of Health.
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by ElRazur: 11:07am On Apr 27, 2009
You appear to have missed existing thread/discussion on this. It is right there in your front.
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by blacksta(m): 11:13am On Apr 27, 2009
The Nigerian government have failed deal with common malaria or polio. Please forget about this swine virus. Seek alternative protection if you are a true christian you are covered by the blood of Jesus. Any other religon ( you at the mercy of your devices)
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by ElRazur: 11:13am On Apr 27, 2009
blacksta:

The Nigerian government have failed deal with common malaria or polio. Please forget about this swine virus. Seek alternative protection if you are a true christian you are covered by the blood of Jesus. Any other religon ( you at the mercy of your devices)

I have a feeling someone will pick up the bait.
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by debosky(m): 11:17am On Apr 27, 2009
I'm not very concerned. It seems to be associated with people who have been in Mexico for the most part, and to a lesser extent the southern US. I don't think we get much travelers to/from Mexico in Nigeria so there's really nothing much to be done for now.

Those of you who like pork, I'd advise you to abstain for a while.

Like someone rightly said, Malaria is a bigger concern for us than swine flu.
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by ElRazur: 11:19am On Apr 27, 2009
Debosky, pork to me is like KFC to the black man. Don't ever say such a thing, Abstinence ke? Never! Pork till I die. **Heads to kitchen to make pork chops**

grin
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by debosky(m): 11:21am On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

Debosky, pork to me is like KFC to the black man. Don't ever say such a thing, Abstinence ke? Never! Pork till I die. **Heads to kitchen to make pork chops**

grin

I thought the addiction was chicken wings? grin I'm sure some sharp black folk are selling all the culled pork at give away prices now. Beware of cheap bargains!! grin
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by blacksta(m): 11:24am On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

I have a feeling someone will pick up the bait.

It is a fat and juicy bait
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by blacksta(m): 11:26am On Apr 27, 2009
i have stopped pork eating (fried bacon, ham sandwiches) until further notice.  Please remind me when to come of hiding
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by PapaBrowne(m): 11:49am On Apr 27, 2009
debosky:

I'm not very concerned. It seems to be associated with people who have been in Mexico for the most part, and to a lesser extent the southern US. I don't think we get much travelers to/from Mexico in Nigeria so there's really nothing much to be done for now.

Those of you who like pork, I'd advise you to abstain for a while.

Like someone rightly said, Malaria is a bigger concern for us than swine flu.

I am not very concerned for myself either. My government long foresaw all these coming and has me fully covered!
My concern is for Nigerians/ Africans. My other concern is for the global economy man. Just when the economy was recovering, this one hits!

Malaria is a bigger concern? That's typical Nigerian mentality! Nothing becomes important until it hits.
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by debosky(m): 11:54am On Apr 27, 2009
PapaBrowne:

I am not very concerned for myself either. My government long foresaw all these coming and has me fully covered!
My concern is for Nigerians/ Africans. My other concern is for the global economy man. Just when the economy was recovering, this one hits!

Malaria is a bigger concern? That's typical Nigerian mentality! Nothing becomes important until it hits.

There is nothing 'typical' about it. When people are dying NOW of Malaria, why should be be jumping through hoops about swine flu given the reasons I elucidated above, we are highly unlikely to have a break out?

Your alarmist tone serves no purpose - I'm glad your government 'foresaw' and you are 'fully covered', Nigerians have little worry about when it comes to swine flu, that is my opinion.
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by PapaBrowne(m): 12:20pm On Apr 27, 2009
debosky:

There is nothing 'typical' about it. When people are dying NOW of Malaria, why should be be jumping through hoops about swine flu given the reasons I elucidated above, we are highly unlikely to have a break out? 

Your alarmist tone serves no purpose - I'm glad your government 'foresaw' and you are 'fully covered', Nigerians have little worry about when it comes to swine flu, that is my opinion.

Debosky, I am not the one who is been alarmist. Every major news network has it fully covered throughout the day. They are the ones sounding the alarm.
The simple reason to "jump the hoops over swine flu" is so that it doesn't add more deaths to those Nigerians already dying of Malaria.

I really do hope that given the reasons you elucidated above, Nigeria is not at risk. The problem however is that over 12,000 Nigerians travel daily many of them to the southern part of USA.
Once again, I am not concerned for myself, as my government has me fully covered.
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by mustafar1: 4:53pm On Apr 27, 2009
like theres no direct flight from atl to lagos. the fact that ppl move around makes it possible for people to contract and spread it from people who are infected and dont know it. heck, most of the time flu is spread b4 the symthoms manifest same goes for this one.
Re: Latest Developments Of Swine Flu Virus: Nigeria Must Act Now! by Seun(m): 4:58pm On Apr 27, 2009

(1)

The Lagos Of My Dreams: / What Of If Dora Akunyuli Was A Northerner? / Jonathan To Travel With 200 People To G8 Summit In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.