Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,677 members, 7,831,101 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us (2850 Views)

Buhari Should Speak On $48m, Nigerians Doubting His Corruption War – SERAP / Orji Uzor Kalu In Lagos Court For His Corruption Trial (photos) / Corruption And The Audacity Of Patience Goodluck - By Gbenro Olajuyigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:20pm On Oct 13, 2015
After the creation of Bayelsa state from the Old Rivers state in 1996 by General Sani Abacha, one of the need of the new state was leadership. On May 29, 1999, Chief Diepreye Solomon Peter Alamesiegha was sworn in as the first Executive Governor of the state after his successful outing at the governorship poll.

His Contribution To Bayelsa state
Chief Alamesiegha immediately introduced scholarship scheme for Bayelsa students with a minimum 5 O'level credit (Maths and English incuded) in SSCE/GCE to study in Russia and Ukraine. This model was later to be adopted by the Rivers state government! He also established the state university, Niger Delta University in Amasoma. While Rivers was struggling to pay her indigent students in tertiary institution their bursary of TEN THOUSAND NAIRA, Gov Alamesiegha was always faithful in paying THIRTY THOUSAND NAIRA bursary to students of Bayelsa state origin in tertiary institutions (as at 2003). He constructed roads, established the only state university and employed lots of Bayelsans. In fact, Bayelsa state became a state of envy to Rivers indigens. While Peter Odili of Rivers state was arming youths and promoting cultism, Chief Alamesiegha was keen on empowering Bayelsa youths to be productive. In 2004 at the peak of cultism in rivers state, Alams was quoted to have confronted Odili with these words..."Why are you allowing your people to be killed?". Till date the achievement of Alamco has never been matched by his successors; Dr Ebele Jonathan, Chief Timpre Sylva and incumbent Seriake Dickson.

His Contribution To Niger-Delta Struggle
When it comes to the Niger Delta struggle, Alamesiegha was a champion of the resource control demand. He was the only Governor since 1999 that ever maintained the resource control slogan amongst every governors in the region. That earned him the title 'Governor-General'. Alamco played no small role to the ushering of the amnesty program by the late Yar'adua administration. Bayelsans and all true sons and Daughters of Izon nation will always appreciate him for this. He was one of the Niger-Delta greats.

His Corruption, Impeachment and Conviction:
Perhaps he had reasoned that since the allocation that was accrued to Bayelsa state was huge, he should 'keep his own share in a safe place'. He soiled his hands in the cesspit of corruption and lodged monies belonging to the state in the UK, US and Nigeria, in addition to his investment in the aforementioned countries. In 2005 December he was subsequently impeached from the exalted office of Bayelsa state governor. Like Mary Magdalene in the Bible, Alamesiegha pleaded GUILTY before the judge in 2007. He was punished for his offence in accordance with the law and he also gave up all he stole from Bayelsa state back to the state.

We All Will Be Remembered By Our Deeds
There is a popular hymn that says "We will be remembered by what we have done". While some rightly or wrongly remember Alams as the corrupt man that jumped bail in the United Kingdom, some others will rather remember him as the once corrupt governor that acknowledged his sin(like Magdalene), got punished severely for it but remained a statesman, and was committed to the cause of his people till the point of death.

The lesson to those alive is that irrespective of our good deeds and good intentions, we have the responsibility of steering clear of every activities and actions that will cause eternal stain to our image and deeds. This is because we all will be remembered by what we have done.

Rest In Peace Alamco!!! Rest In Peace Governor-General!!!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by paragon40(m): 12:21pm On Oct 13, 2015
I just leave jurisprudence class let me settle down,and read. Nice write up@Barcanista no element of politics in this..."the truth will, always be the truth even , if it comes from the devil"....hope to see more of this from you...a write up devoid from sentiments..... i hereby confer this title on you good Ambassador of Nairaland..(G.A.N).

2 Likes

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by zico530(m): 12:23pm On Oct 13, 2015
That was a great man indeed!

1 Like

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by xertyy: 12:24pm On Oct 13, 2015
hmmmm
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:25pm On Oct 13, 2015
paragon40:
I just leave jurisprudence class let me settle down,and read.
How does the jurisprudence class relate with the life and death of Alamesiegha?

1 Like

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 13, 2015
I am not concern and i dont care about the evil that he did, what i know is that his good deeds outweigh his little bad deeds, yeah the bad he did was little compared to the evil that TINUBU,OBASANJOR AND co had done and are still doing, he was just unlucky and not fortunate, the bad bloods in the political system traped him unknownly, but what i know is that he was a good man with a good heart but greed overtook him but who would not had done the same if in his position.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by sammyj: 12:26pm On Oct 13, 2015
ok
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by helinues: 12:27pm On Oct 13, 2015
Nice one
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:34pm On Oct 13, 2015
zico530:
That was a great man indeed!
One thing I learnt from his life is how he owned up to his crime before the judge. How many of our politicians can do that? Alams bore the shame that came to him as a result of what he did, yet he remained loyal to the cause of his people. Despite the fact that he remained the most influential politician in Bayelsa state, he NEVER at any time interferred with governance in the state. In fact, when ex-Gov Sylva and ex-Pres GEJ were having misunderstanding, Alams told Sylva in 2011, "go and make-up with your brother, because there are two people that you should not fight. One is God, the second is the president. I am a living example of the saying". I watched the clip on NTA

2 Likes

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by agarawu23(m): 12:34pm On Oct 13, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by DaBullIT(m): 12:35pm On Oct 13, 2015
Ipob : Alamesiyga was not corruption if you say that again we will bomb Nigeria to ashes

OP abeg no let them bomb Nigeria o

Alamesiyga was not corrupt

grin cheesy grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by Ephemmm: 12:38pm On Oct 13, 2015
Thief is a thief! He will surely be remembered forever as one of those Nigerian thieves, who personalized public resources for their selfish interest at the detriment of public welfarism.
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:39pm On Oct 13, 2015
fantazia:
I am not concern and i dont care about the evil that he did, what i know is that his good deeds outweigh his little bad deeds, yeah the bad he did was little compared to the evil that TINUBU,OBASANJOR AND co had done and are still doing, he was just unlucky and not fortunate, the bad bloods in the political system traped him unknownly, but what i know is that he was a good man with a good heart but greed overtook him but who would not had done the same if in his position.
Gbam! Most importantly, he acknowledged his evil did(corruptio), he was punished, he gave up his loot and he was left with a clear conscience before God. That's a millionth times better than those crooks(known and unknown) that we celebrate and shield from anti-corruption agencies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:46pm On Oct 13, 2015
DaBullIT:
Ipob : Alamesiyga was not corruption if you say that again we will bomb Nigeria to ashes
OP abeg no let them bomb Nigeria o
Alamesiyga was not corrupt
grin cheesy grin grin grin
Bros, take am easy abeg. No need to politicise the death of the great Alamco
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
paragon40:
I just leave jurisprudence class let me settle down,and read. Nice write up@Barcanista no element of politics in this..."the truth will, always be the truth even , if it comes from the devil"....hope to see more of this from you...a write up devoid from sentiments..... i hereby confer this title on you Good Ambassador of Nairaland..(G.A.N).
Why just on Nairaland Sir? Why not extend it beyond Nairaland?
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by paragon40(m): 1:18pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Why just on Nairaland Sir? Why not extend it beyond Nairaland?
one at a time smiley...
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by tolexy007(m): 1:19pm On Oct 13, 2015
grin
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by Olamitisoji(m): 1:21pm On Oct 13, 2015
As much as i ve heard the corruption cases of this man so have i heard of his good deeds to the Bayelsans. I pray the Bad blood between the South South and the rest of Nigeria will end. But there are this questions i ask my self

1. Will Obasanjo die a shameful death with his corruption cases exposed like that of Alams, or die as a Great Political Icon with no blemish and corruption cases.

2. Will Babangida die and go scot-free?

3. Will Tinubu die and go scot-free?

4. Why are Nigerians always eager to stone the righteous and celebrate the wicked and even call them an Elder Statesman a title they don't worth?

RIP ALAMS.

1 Like

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by StOla: 1:27pm On Oct 13, 2015
A thief is a thief.

On the streets it would have been a burning with tires by the very people who are trying to whitewash the image of a "bigman" thief.

The poor man thief is not privileged enough to have anyone re-tell his biography.

4 Likes

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by Dannyset(m): 1:30pm On Oct 13, 2015
Let the dead take a bow and go.
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by modath(f): 1:32pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

His Corruption, Impeachment and Conviction:
Perhaps he had reasoned that since the allocation that was accrued to Bayelsa state was huge, he should 'keep his own share in a safe place'. He soiled his hands in the cesspit of corruption and lodged monies belonging to the state in the UK, US and Nigeria, in addition to his investment in the aforementioned countries. !!!!!!!

The highlighted is the long & short of everything... smiley

The rest is just being PC..

ALAMS did Bayelsa wrong, he deprived them of major infrastructures in his time & nothing can bring that back....

It is now between him & his God but the Eulogy.... lipsrsealed
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:37pm On Oct 13, 2015
Olamitisoji:
As much as i ve heard the corruption cases of this man so have i heard of his good deeds to the Bayelsans. I pray the Bad blood between the South South and the rest of Nigeria will end. But there are this questions i ask my self

1. Will Obasanjo die a shameful death with his corruption cases exposed like that of Alams, or die as a Great Political Icon with no blemish and corruption cases.

2. Will Babangida die and go scot-free?

3. Will Tinubu die and go scot-free?

4. Why are Nigerians always eager to stone the righteous and celebrate the wicked and even call them an Elder Statesman a title they don't worth?

RIP ALAMS.
Well, there is nothing like noble thief in the dictionary. The unique thing about Alams is that he OWNED up to his deeds and was appropriately punished. As for others, it doesn't matter how long they conceal it but one thing that tell is that their deeds will definitely catch up with them. It may be through the court of law or that of public opinion. We abuse Abacha today but was he ever convicted? Nevertheless, it doesn't stop him from being a crook.

The moral lesson is 'Stay clear of corruption' because a good name is the catalyst for a good legacy.

1 Like

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:57pm On Oct 13, 2015
modath:

The highlighted is the long & short of everything... smiley

The rest is just being PC..

ALAMS did Bayelsa wrong, he deprived them of major infrastructures in his time & nothing can bring that back....

It is now between him & his God but the Eulogy.... lipsrsealed
We have to be fair to him na

1 Like

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by Olamitisoji(m): 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Well, there is nothing like noble thief in the dictionary. The unique thing about Alams is that he OWNED up to his deeds and was appropriately punished. As for others, it doesn't matter how long they conceal it but one thing that tell is that their deeds will definitely catch up with them. It may be through the court of law or that of public opinion. We abuse Abacha today but was he ever convicted? Nevertheless, it doesn't stop him from being a crook.

The moral lesson is 'Stay clear of corruption' because a good name is the catalyst for a good legacy.
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by modath(f): 2:12pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
We have to be fair to him na

Think am now, the people that died cos the hospitals were too far away,

The sub literate people that schools turned out cos they couldn't pay teachers a living wage,

The farmers who couldn't experience prosperity cos they were unable to transport their produce cos of the "roller coaster bumpy ride" roads,

The basic amenities like water, electricity that were denied the people.....

Did the hands of time turn back

God is the perfect being, we are human & fraught with faults & foibles...

We should stop trying to be saints, call a spade a spade & let the chips fall where they may.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by FatIjeomaOkolie: 2:19pm On Oct 13, 2015
This is exactly why Nigeria will not progress, this useless corrupt and senseless eulogy is the reason why politicians will continue to embezzle public funds and get away with it.

We can all see a noticeable departure from the usual venomous attack from Barcanista simply because the man is a fellow ijaw like him.

The useless Alamco as you call him enriched himself as the expense of your future and probably that of your children as well. Under his leadership, Bayelsa received billions of Naira in allocations and yet no visible development or progress. Your people are suffering from poverty , the negative effects of pollution and your land is an ecological disaster zone, Alamco fought for more revenue for oil producing state not for the benefit of his people but for himself and family.

This OP is now telling us BS that because he owned up to his crimes, he should be forgiven. What arrant nonsense!!

People like Alams should rot in jail for life and after death should be buried like an animal he was.

In Barcanista's book,everyone is evil except you are Ijaw or you put food on his table.

Anyone that is eulogising Alams is a corrupt and devious person

OP should be ashamed of himself

5 Likes

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:23pm On Oct 13, 2015
modath:

Think am now, the people that died cos the hospitals were too far away,

The sub literate people that schools turned out cos they couldn't pay teachers a living wage,

The farmers who couldn't experience prosperity cos they were unable to transport their produce cos of the "roller coaster bumpy ride" roads,

The basic amenities like water, electricity that were denied the people.....

Did the hands of time turn back

God is the perfect being, we are human & fraught with faults & foibles...

We should stop trying to be saints, call a spade a spade & let the chips fall where they may.. smiley
Like I earlier said, there is nothing like a noble thief. This article clearly called a spade by its name

1 Like

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by omenka(m): 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

One thing I learnt from his life is how he owned up to his crime before the judge. How many of our politicians can do that? Alams bore the shame that came to him as a result of what he did, yet he remained loyal to the cause of his people. Despite the fact that he remained the most influential politician in Bayelsa state, he NEVER at any time interferred with governance in the state. In fact, when ex-Gov Sylva and ex-Pres GEJ were having misunderstanding, Alams told Sylva in 2011, "go and make-up with your brother, because there are two people that you should not fight. One is God, the second is the president. I am a living example of the saying". I watched the clip on NTA
It hurts me again to comment on your trash. You say you "leant" from him how to "own up" to your actions, yet you deactivated your previous account on the forum so as to conceal your past utterances- how hypocritical can a man get. If you indeed learnt that from him, you should have left all you said in the past for all and sundry to scrutinise instead of deleting traces of them.

Oga, do yourself a favour, stop trying so hard to pass yourself off as an unbiased critic- that would only fool your cheerleaders. We are all bias on this forum- some in favour of APC, others PDP- except of course Lalasticlala (perhaps he is but he doesn't let it show, never has.).

Your opinion about the dead man is totally inconsequential, whether critical or not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by modath(f): 2:46pm On Oct 13, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Like I earlier said, there is nothing like a noble thief. This article clearly called a spade by its name

You didn't call no spade its name, you called it a digger with flat pan..

You penned a thinly veiled eulogy...

Alamco is no statesman!!!
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by wecan: 2:51pm On Oct 13, 2015
IT IS TIME FOR THE SOUTH SOUTH PEOPLE TO KNOW WHO THEIR REAL ENEMIES ARE. HAUSA N YORABAS
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by LordMecuzy(m): 3:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
I Think it's time to hit politics in my lovely Imo state in 2019 and make sure I'll steal enough money for me and my kids..Then if I'm caught I'll apologise and own up to the crime...

I'll be called a hero
Re: Alamesiegha: His Deeds, His Corruption And The Lesson Before Us by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:09pm On Oct 13, 2015
modath:

You didn't call no spade its name, you called it a digger with flat pan..

You penned a thinly veiled eulogy...

Alamco is no statesman!!!
What else were you expecting? A man committed a crime, was punished and forfeited proceeds of his loot. This was fully captured.

The same man made contributions towards the advancement of his own people prior to and after he was punished. This was fully captured!

So what were you expecting again? That I write only his ills, which he paid for and leave out his contribution? Be specific

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafrans Can Protest In Lagos And Nothing Will Happen... / Nigerian Soldiers Maltreating Civilians - Video And Photos / The Blackest In The World Babay! is born. (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.