Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please (1921 Views)

What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged / Car Freaks – Which Car Will You Give Your All For? / I Am Driving From Abuja To Lagos. Advice Needed Please!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by anukulapo: 5:31pm On Oct 13, 2015
Hello knowledgeable NLders,

I have been without a car for a short while now and I have option of picking between a 2001 corolla (LE) and a 2001 camry.
Both are almost same price (the corolla is 500k while the camry is 450k).

Little condition is that I know of the service history (though not in detail) of the corolla that the engine has been ringed once while i don't know about the camry.

The corolla's exterior look neater than the camry. Non of them has any major physical defect.

Both has: AC, Air-conditioner, alloy wheel, 4 cylinder, automatic.

Images attached are not the exact vehicles. Just for posting sake.

Please,advice.
Thanks.

Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by CORDROSS: 5:47pm On Oct 13, 2015
My opinion: the Camry is a better choice for a guy while the Corolla is a better choice for a lady. grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by Whizpeter(m): 5:56pm On Oct 13, 2015
Go for the camry Bro... You won't regret it...
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by yak(m): 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
take 1 n tel me d one remaining. mayb I will have it
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by yak(m): 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2015
take 1 n tel us me d one remaining.
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by anukulapo: 6:45pm On Oct 13, 2015
@ CORDROSS: Okay,I'll consider that for my wife...soon.
@Whizpeter: thanks. Any technical reasons?

cardoctor,please your advice is needed. Thanks
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by DGD1(m): 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2015
bro, buying a nigerian used car requires mechanic to help you check well. both are great cars.
am not really comfortable with the ringed engine of the corolla (my opinion though) .

from me to you, choose dat camry 5 times before you even remember corrola was the other option.

2 Likes

Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by anukulapo: 5:07pm On Oct 15, 2015
DGD1:
bro, buying a nigerian used car requires mechanic to help you check well. both are great cars.
am not really comfortable with the ringed engine of the corolla (my opinion though) .

from me to you, choose dat camry 5 times before you even remember corrola was the other option.
Ok bro. Thanks.
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by ElFenomeno1: 5:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
Take a competent Toyota mechanic along for a thorough inspection and make an informed decision based on that......
Nigeria used cars can be deceptive especially if you are looking at things from a face value.
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 15, 2015
Assuming both cars had their stock engines, as in they'd never been taken apart for major work, I would have gone with the Corolla. It looks nicer, less dated than the ponderous, clumsy Camry. The Corolla also looks much more dynamic than the Camry, which I also associate with older users. It's a staid, dull-looking car, with an elderly image.

However, as I do not trust Nigerian mechanics to get even a basic timing belt job on an Audi 80 1.6 I4 8V right, I would NOT feel relaxed driving a car that had been subjected to a piston ring job. For this reason ONLY, I would go with the Camry.
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by mili3kid(m): 6:01pm On Oct 15, 2015
Siena:
Assuming both cars had their stock engines, as in they'd never been taken apart for major work, I would have gone with the Corolla. It looks nicer, less dated than the ponderous, clumsy Camry. The Corolla also looks much more dynamic than the Camry, which I also associate with older users. It's a staid, dull-looking car, with an elderly image.

However, as I do not trust Nigerian mechanics to get even a basic timing belt job on an Audi 80 1.6 I4 8V right, I would NOT feel relaxed driving a car that had been subjected to a piston ring job. For this reason ONLY, I would go with the Camry.
oga siena and his Audis shaaaaa kai... hehehe
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by DGD1(m): 6:58pm On Oct 15, 2015
Siena:

let me believe oga boss is not comparing the cars with the pictures OP attached. from that picture, the corolla is pimped while that camry is stock just as it is (base model/trim) without alloys.
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by ogawisdom(m): 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2015
I won't think twice b4 picking d Camry it looks more prestigious n spacious leg room n head space n will offer more economy n power mix depend on d engine size n power train

Ladies n gent d Camry wins tongue
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by king406(m): 5:24pm On Oct 16, 2015
If the corolla hadn't got a work on the engine, I'd go with it, it looks nicer than the ugly camry which every average worker is buying these days and it's all over the road, if it's for ur day to day city driving I suggest u take a chance with the corolla or find a corolla that the engine haven't been worked on. If u regularly embark on a journey I suggest u pick the camry for it has a bigger engine, more spacious and is more balanced on the highway.
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by anukulapo: 5:56pm On Oct 16, 2015
ElFenomeno1:
Take a competent Toyota mechanic along for a thorough inspection and make an informed decision based on that......
Nigeria used cars can be deceptive especially if you are looking at things from a face value.
That I'll do definitely. Thanks
Can a mechanic know if an engine had ever been ringed without being told?
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by anukulapo: 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2015
Siena:

About the look,that's true.
Can a mechanic know if an engine had ever been ringed without being told? Because that is an information I do not have from the owner of the camry. At least, the corolla guy is being sincere
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by anukulapo: 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
king406:
If the corolla hadn't got a work on the engine, I'd go with it, it looks nicer than the ugly camry which every average worker is buying these days and it's all over the road, if it's for ur day to day city driving I suggest u take a chance with the corolla or find a corolla that the engine haven't been worked on. If u regularly embark on a journey I suggest u pick the camry for it has a bigger engine, more spacious and is more balanced on the highway.

I won't mind going with the corolla like you suggested. I don't travel often but when ever I do, I cover 9hrs+ of journey.

Question: Can a mechanic know if an engine had ever been ringed without being told? like i said to the poster above, that information I do not have from the owner of the camry. The corolla guy told me...and I'm in a little fix here because I'm not paying cash down. Both of them I get to pay in installment so...
Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 16, 2015
DGD1:

let me believe oga boss is not comparing the cars with the pictures OP attached. from that picture, the corolla is pimped while that camry is stock just as it is (base model/trim) without alloys.

When I compare cars, I see beyond the cosmetics. I'm doing the same with the cars which are the subject of this thread. I didn't even notice the Corolla had been lightly fettled.

Both cars in stock guise, I would pick the Corolla every time. My personal opinion? The Camry is an ugly beast, to the point no amount of styling would would redeem it, at least in my eyes. Styling the Corolla will improve what is already a decent-looking car. Styling a Camry is like putting make-up on a damn pig.

2 Likes

Re: Which Car Is A Better Option? Advice Needed Please by king406(m): 7:05pm On Oct 16, 2015
anukulapo:

I won't mind going with the corolla like you suggested. I don't travel often but when ever I do, I cover 9hrs+ of journey.

Question: Can a mechanic know if an engine had ever been ringed without being told? like i said to the poster above, that information I do not have from the owner of the camry. The corolla guy told me...and I'm in a little fix here because I'm not paying cash down. Both of them I get to pay in installment so...
a good mechanic should be able to know if an engine has been worked on, not even a mechanic, even u should know if an engine has been worked on. I think by its appearance u should know, and also the knots on the engine will appear to have spanner scratches on them. A 9hr journey with that corolla won't be nice sha..

(1) (Reply)

What's The Current Price Of Waste Collection Truck In Nigeria? / This Is McLaren's Wildest Road Car Ever,$1m Senna Hypercar With See-Through Door / How Do I Renew My Car Papers From 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.