Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol (747 Views)

Why Do Poor People Have More Children Than The Rich? / Please, Advise Poor People To Stop Bringing Innocent Children To Suffer On Earth / Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by JJYOU: 11:51am On Apr 28, 2009
[size=18pt]Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -Kpakol[/size]

CALABAR ––Dr. Magnus Kpakol, National Coordinator of the National Poverty Eradication Programme(NAPEP), has said 74 million Nigerians are poor.

He said the figure, which was as at December 2008, dropped by one million from the 75 million in 2007.

He made this known in a paper titled, “NAPEP Programmes As Enabler For Rapid Economic Development In The South South Region,” presented at the just-concluded South South Economic Summit in Calabar.

He said the population of the country’s poor was 80 million in 1999.

Kpakol, a Senior Special Assistant to the President on Poverty Alleviation, said that the poverty prevalence was more in the northern part of the country.

According to him, the poverty rate in North West geo-political zone was 72.2 per cent of its population while in North East, it is 71.2 per cent of the population.

“The percentage is 67 of the population in North Central,” he added and disclosed that the South East has the lowest poor population of 26.7 per cent.

“The zone is followed by South South where the poor constitutes 35.1 per cent of its population and South West with 43.1 per cent,’’ he said.

The NAPEP Coordinator attributed the poverty index in the country to weak local economy and said that the poverty rate would reduce “when we have rule of law and good governance.”

Other factors that would also elevate people from the poverty stratum include, “strong and high quality development growth and mass participation in economic development,” he added.

He challenged local government councils to commit N1 million into micro lending in each community in their areas.

Kpakol stated that the reduction of the size of the poor population from 80 million in 1999 to 74 million in 2009 was due to various poverty alleviation programmes embarked by various governments.

He charged states and local governments in the South South to evolve a common poverty reduction programme.

http://www.nigerianobservernews.com/28042009/news/othernews2.html
Re: Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by tpiah: 2:57pm On Apr 28, 2009
That's a very high figure.

Especially if the total population is in the range of 140 million as we've been told.
Re: Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by iice(f): 4:36am On Apr 29, 2009
Na wah
Re: Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by JJYOU: 1:31pm On Apr 29, 2009
tpiah:

That's a very high figure.

Especially if the total population is in the range of 140 million as we've been told.
tpia how many people would you consider rich in naija my sister? and what is being rich by the way?

i think that figure is about right.
Re: Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by tpiah: 12:43am On Apr 30, 2009
JJYOU:

tpia how many people would you consider rich in naija my sister? and what is being rich by the way?

i think that figure is about right.

of course the figures are probably right.

I'm just saying Nigeria has a very high poverty rate. That's over half the population who are extremely poor.
Re: Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by olanajim(m): 1:17am On Apr 30, 2009
it depend on what he mean by poor. Maybe he meant to say those who have at least one square meal a day.

At any rate, in anation where data are never taken or kept if taken, the whole thing is just assumption.

I wont take that man serious.
Re: Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by REALTRUTH1: 2:21am On Apr 30, 2009
This is the same man who said at a time that over 75% of Nigerian youths are unemployed,,a country that does not have an idea of what her population figure is,,,how do you determine the poor from the rich?
By any standard,,Nigerias population is about 200Million,,,and I strongly believe that more than half of the population does not have earning capabilty.
Re: Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by JustGood(m): 5:13pm On Apr 30, 2009
What was the yardstick for determining poor people?
Re: Nigeria Has 74m Poor People -kpakol by zilosxp(m): 7:05pm On Apr 30, 2009
JustGood:

What was the yardstick for determining poor people?
yes and what was the yardstick for measuring rich ones?like my friend will say,internationally,you are not rich untill you have 1million usd in savings account.so i think the correct yardstick for measurement would have been HOW MANY PERSONS LIVING BELOW THE POVERTY LINE

(1) (Reply)

Pregnant Briton 'faces Execution'(a Nigerian) / ... / Difficult

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.