Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space (22008 Views)

Lagos Commences Mechanized Sweeping Of Roads At Night (photos) / I Can't Sleep At Night Because There's Bullet Inside My Leg - Rann Victim. PICS / Burutai Earns $500 Every Night From Dubai Properties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Beremx(f): 8:43pm On Oct 15, 2015
God bless Africa
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by engrhorla(m): 9:02pm On Oct 15, 2015
ezeagu:

This is a timezone map which means the different times a certain latitude of the world is in.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-yEWEm-lX1Es/VLUzrUY-uzI/AAAAAAAAAAo/otT4U9kmpts/s1600/timezone16.gif[/img]

The world is round. Night time happens when the world turns on its axis and a part of it is hidden away from the sun.

Europe and Africa are mostly on the same latitude.

Because they are on the same latitude, they experience night time at around the same time.

Even if they didn't, the map would have been stitched together and the point and comparison would still have been valid.

You are very correct..

To buttress your point, Accra and London both are on the same longitude..Madrid is one hour ahead of Abuja, etc

The greatest time difference you can have between an African country, say in West Africa and an European country, say in East Europe is 6hours. And night time lasts more than that.

Therefore, it is very possible to get a picture of Europe and Africa at night at a given time.

By the way, Europe appear like a lion pouncing on a prey..check the pix again! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 15, 2015
mployer:

Africa is a dark continent, the pics Just comfirmed it.
Africa is NOT a dark continent.
There is more to life than electricity.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2015
rawpadgin:
get behind me son of lucifer
Sorry, I'm not gay.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by ednut1(m): 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
If u take a flight from Nigeria in the morning. Arrival time wud be night time . before d plane lands u can even see the illumination ur self. The pix is true. Wat a sorry continent

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
--DP--
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by fablola: 9:15pm On Oct 15, 2015
The dark continent indeed! No wonder they still habour fear of the night!
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by tuk2ato(m): 9:20pm On Oct 15, 2015
NEPA/PHCN no try o, see as lite no dey Africa undecided. The Dark Continent!
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 15, 2015
rawpadgin:
this is nonsense

those guys love painting africa black
they made us to believe that devil is a black man

It's very accurate. If you travel on air from UK to Nigeria you will see for yourself
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by ruggedtimi(m): 9:37pm On Oct 15, 2015
u cn imagine nigeria is even shinning more than any oda african country excpt S.A
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 15, 2015
But small light still dey Nigeria side oo
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by oganology33(m): 10:12pm On Oct 15, 2015
U guyz are so funny. do u really believe dat these lines called boundaries really exist on the land mark? Secondly, wat kinda light shines up 2 space Street lights or Household bulbs or security lights Crazy people Deceiving us since 639BC
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by mekonglobal(m): 10:19pm On Oct 15, 2015
Wetin be dis? If Nigeria no get light Ghana no get? Or even Libya....dont mind all dis yeye oyibo pple with their superiority mindset.
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Ijebulogic(m): 10:26pm On Oct 15, 2015
Ezeagu....10 Gbosa for you - smart Nairalander.

Meanwhile - Serious light de Abuja no be small...
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by ibedun: 10:28pm On Oct 15, 2015
So none of you lousy idiats have been on a plane at night?

As soon as you leave Europe and North Africa the rest in sad darkness. That much is clear from your seat on the plane.

Going the other direction, its pitch black all through until you reach north africa and Europe when you burst back into majestic lighting down below.

Honestly if only the masses of Africa realise what your so called "leaders" have done to you? You will be so angry you lose that fear of death and go after them all.

Africa is caused, without a doubt. Eventually we would be destroyed and our land shared amongst normal people.

Look at tiny Israel!!!

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by islandmoon: 10:58pm On Oct 15, 2015
one of the reason they call it the dark continent
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by africandictator(m): 11:14pm On Oct 15, 2015
well the pics,i can see that the african continent irrespective, still have a very defined shape than our european counterparts..
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by redsun(m): 11:18pm On Oct 15, 2015
It is called saving the environment. Africa is at the forefront of saving the earth,even at its own detriment,while oyinbo is the major destroyer at it own convenient.
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 11:25pm On Oct 15, 2015
ibedun:
So none of you lousy idiats have been on a plane at night?

As soon as you leave Europe and North Africa the rest in sad darkness. That much is clear from your seat on the plane.

Going the other direction, its pitch black all through until you reach north africa and Europe when you burst back into majestic lighting down below.

Honestly if only the masses of Africa realise what your so called "leaders" have done to you? You will be so angry you lose that fear of death and go after them all.

Africa is caused, without a doubt. Eventually we would be destroyed and our land shared amongst normal people.

Look at tiny Israel!!!
TonyeBarcanista say na racism!!!!!!! Oh men..
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by solotutu(m): 11:40pm On Oct 15, 2015
Judging from what Im seeing, a higher concentration of the power is on the seacoast of most countries.

This attest to the fact that the white man came to extract our raw and beautiful resources and use them without building anything for us.

That was then, but now, africans themselves have taken over this sea-business and puppeteer for the white man, thinkin they are in control. What a sham. The hypnosis continues!!
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by EMANY01(m): 12:17am On Oct 16, 2015
mightyhaze:
well ok,but 2 hrs is still a long time lag. Check d difference in illumination bw say 5am and 7am

The difference is not all that much.
Imagine that the picture was taken at 01:00 GMT during the summer period,in other words around this time of the year there would be an equal spread of night and day regardless of Longitude.
Assume also that the cloud cover is rather uniform at the instant the picture was taken (this might seem most unlikely but the science of meteorology indicates that the processes that forms cloud covers are most dynamic and as such a cloud cover might be available in a region and not there after while).
Because Africa is largely behind Europe on the time zone, it would be 05:00am in India which would still be quite dark .Given that by 05:00am in the east , sunrise would only be a little less than an hour away, the difference in illumination levels would not be enough to significantly skew the detail that the picture presents.

TonyeBarcanista:
Racism...

I be your guy any day but this simple minded answer (which in any case by any stretch of logic is wrong) disappoints me.

You have been one individual on Nairaland with a reputation for being rational and logical, addressing the facts of any matter under discuss most objectively.
How then do you claim that racism is responsible for what is a clear picture showing that Africa has yet to solve the most fundamental challenge which is required for development? The generation,transmission and productive use of electrical energy.

I might have entertained the argument (had you made it) that the picture was a digitally doctored piece( even though i don't think so ) and in no way reflects the true levels of night time illumination, ipso-facto energy generation /use on the African continent.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Rossikk(m): 12:20am On Oct 16, 2015
A major reason for the disparity with Europe is that the top half of Africa comprises almost entirely the SAHARA DESERT which, in case you dunderheads don't realise, is LARGELY UNINHABITED, while the lower central mass of the continent comprises the largely uninhabited, impenetrable central African forests of the CONGO regions and co.

GO LEARN SOME GEOGRAPHY, DOLTS!!
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Yujin(m): 12:20am On Oct 16, 2015
Fake pix. How were they able to get the map of Africa correctly at night? Besides depiction of electricity at South Africa is far below what's obtainable there. Only Gauteng area and capetown and tiny dots by the coast. Its totally untrue. Again I say; fake pix.
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by EMANY01(m): 12:21am On Oct 16, 2015
engrhorla:

You are very correct..

To buttress your point, Accra and London both are on the same longitude..Madrid is one hour ahead of Abuja, etc

The greatest time difference you can have between an African country, say in West Africa and an European country, say in East Europe is 6hours. And night time lasts more than that.

Therefore, it is very possible to get a picture of Europe and Africa at night at a given time.

By the way, Europe appear like a lion pouncing on a prey..check the pix again! cheesy

The very point i tried to communicate in my post but i,m not sure i got to convey it as well as this.
Communication(documented communication to be clear) not very much my thing although i do try.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 16, 2015
So no body noticed that there was more light in Nigeria than so many parts in Africa grin don't worry guys no be NEPA na generator light grin

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 16, 2015
EMANY01:

The very point i tried to communicate in my post but i,m not sure i got to convey it as well as this.
Communication(documented communication to be clear) not very much my thing although i do try.
You are boring. Who brings intellgient conversation to a nairaland thread on space? Go away, evil scientist.. angry

wink
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 16, 2015
Ezeagu, could you include this map in the Op so people get a sense why some part of Africa is dark. There is this growing misconception on this thread that Nigeria's power system isn't doing bad compared to other African countries.

It shows world population density. The darker shades represent population with higher density.
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:37am On Oct 16, 2015
Africa is larger , thousands times larger than Europe and very sparsely populated . therefore heavy population centers and what they imply are rarer in African . also let's not forget +53% of Africans live in rural zone .
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by EMANY01(m): 12:37am On Oct 16, 2015
oganology33:
U guyz are so funny. do u really believe dat these lines called boundaries really exist on the land mark? Secondly, wat kinda light shines up 2 space Street lights or Household bulbs or security lights Crazy people Deceiving us since 639BC

Those pictures are enhanced(to a minor extent) images obtained from spectral emissions infrared and others of mostly lighting systems .
If you stand far behind or at some adjacent angle to someone pointing a unidirectional light source(torchlight) , you would see the illumination produce by that source even if it was directed well away from you.
Lets not talk about unguided light sources( fires, open streetlights etc).
If your punny eyes can do that how much do you think engineered optical systems designed to read the characters on a black board (facing up in the open) can do?
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by EMANY01(m): 12:44am On Oct 16, 2015
Rossikk:
A major reason for the disparity with Europe is that the top half of Africa comprises almost entirely the SAHARA DESERT which, in case you dunderheads don't realise, is LARGELY UNINHABITED, while the lower central mass of the continent comprises the largely uninhabited, impenetrable central African forests of the CONGO regions and co.

GO LEARN SOME GEOGRAPHY, DOLTS!!

I absolutely agree with those assertions but that would not even begin to account for the disparity in the levels of observed ground based nighttime illumination between the inhabited areas in Africa and the Inhabited areas in the other regions covered.
Note that i did not restrict the comparison to just Africa and Europe, large parts of Asia (all the way to India) are shown.
If you looked at that picture critically you would see that there is a slightly noticeable difference in the concentration of nighttime illumination between areas that used(?) to be part of Eastern Europe and Western Europe, i do recall coming across a similar picture taken from space at night during the dying days of the cold war showing how night time illumination practically and much more tellingly, CORRECTLY depicted the partition between territories in the East and those in the West .
The difference is a bit more subtle now and has followed the (recent) expansion of Western Europe.
A similar picture was done sometime in mid 2000s showing the same partition between North Korea and South Korea.
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 16, 2015
ezeagu:
What can you really say about this photo?
na nigeria dey that side so, he no even get any epitome of light
Re: Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space by BlackOnassis(m): 12:46am On Oct 16, 2015
I think we Africans will eventually evolve to cope with the darkness, just like nal<ed mole rats lipsrsealed cry cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Teach Local Boys in the North-East (Photos) / Court Orders Sheriff To Immediately Vacate Party’s National Secretariat / Court Finds Olisa Metuh Guilty Of Laundering N400 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.