Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,703 members, 7,820,460 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce (28425 Views)

Offa Robbery: Police Arrest 12 Suspects (List Included) / Offa Bank Robbery: Police Arrest Seven Suspects / Ikirun-Osun Bank Robbery: Police Arrest 4 Suspects (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by enigma2007(m): 10:12am On Oct 16, 2015
Revolva:
Nigeria...is a shameful nation...these forcemen don't coperate

Even in civilized countries, the army wont step in except the robbers attack their barracks or command posts

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by SylarsMcQuins: 10:13am On Oct 16, 2015
mayannnapp:

Turn A One Time Investment Of
N1,500 Into N2,000,000 In Just
Three Months.... please inbox me
for more info or email me @
samejabofu@gmail.com Our
aim is to make nigeria
a better place, we do not believe in fraud or
scam so if you are involve in it dont just bother to contact us.... thanks. or add me on facebuk @ samson pein

SCAM AYEEEEEEEEE
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by MamaChibuike: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2015
Blimey! You can make minimum $250 a day and $2000 a week for doing these simple task.....Follow this Link: http://lines-news.com/p69852
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by laserjet: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2015
joehis2013:

The marine police do exist, i had a friend who was a marine police posted to lake chad some years ago, only God knows where he is now

grin grin
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by OlujobaSamuel: 10:17am On Oct 16, 2015
Willhenry123:
nigerians should stop abusing the use of our armed forces. I have seen a situation in US (new Orleans) when a platoon of soldiers came across a robbery and called 911. They didn't lift a finger as its not their duty. But in Nigeria, simple armed robbery you go see army, navy, airforce, police, roadsafety, civil defence, opc, vigilante,etc. Abeg robberies are the perogative of the police to handle.
Am not defending the NPF, they also gave a silly excuse, but that of the NAF is worse, their rule is not cast on stone. They could have honoured the call and stop those bandits, then we address the ineptitude of the police force later. Are soldiers meant for election, don't you see them during that period, how about subsidy saga.
In the face of death/illegal act, stop it anyway, in as much as the cost will not be more than benefits.
The developed country you cited is up to the task, Nigeria as it is, is not up to. Do you know there is no military in Costa Rica, and it's even forbidden for any House to try enact such law, yet there is crime and they are curtailing it their own way. We are not Americans, British, Ghanaians but We are Nigerians and we need a Nigeria solution. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by Babto(m): 10:18am On Oct 16, 2015
OK now. You can tell that to the marines. Dont tell us that the State police command does not have at least one operational river boat, with Lagos surrounded by water and no Police chopper for surveillance. Please, leave the Navy and the Airforce out of your wahala. PUT YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER. CHIKENA.
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by ayindejimmy(m): 10:18am On Oct 16, 2015
Soknown:
Thank you, that is what I wanted to say. NPF has a hanger in the Local airport and they do have choppers but the big question is do they have pilots trained in combat flight or air reconnaissance or whatever.

This country is a huge joke, and it's on us. If we keep voting these pathetic callous set of people.

Over a month ago Ambode was told to equipt the police with speed boat to curb the waves of criminals escaping thru the water.... But did he do that?

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ikorodu-robbery-lagos-assembly-urges-ambode-to-strengthen-security-on-waterways/213918/

The Police should have coppers and speed boats to combat crime not calling the Navy and Air Force to do their work for them.
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by Etizz: 10:18am On Oct 16, 2015
Let's be frank, the police can not do everything, now they went through the water, and it's obvious that there is a force that has d responsibility of that, I see no reason why the Navy and airforce shy away their responsibility,..... I strongly luv the truth, and the truth is dat, our so called Navy and airforce are absolutely doing nothing in our country, and they receive huge amount of money monthly........ It's sad.
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by Onegai(f): 10:20am On Oct 16, 2015
modath:

Unfortunately it is not laughable... cry

As Fashola opined, we can't continue with Federal policing, it will not help us...

Security needs to be broken down to even local government level, now everyone is claiming it's not in their jurisdiction!!!

Ridiculous!!!

State Mobile Police should have statewide aerial and sea way support in the South. But to leave anything to local government is the worst idea. Not one single local government chairman is functioning in Lagos, how will they discharge support duties to Police?
Someone has now posted pictures of NPF helicopters. So they had them and yet never use them unless it is to carry politicians.

When a friend joked that in order to save Nigeria, we needed to hand it back to colonials, everyone was upset but I doubt Nigerians can run Nigeria even at 45% efficiency.

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by FOREXMART(m): 10:22am On Oct 16, 2015
geesilver:

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/festac-robbery-police-shifts-blame-to-navy-airforce/222868/

the same joke/innocent civilians harassing police would have choppers flying everywhere if Obama was present at the vicinity yet they couldn't do as little as trail the criminals till back up arrives. everywhere

2 Likes

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 16, 2015
OlujobaSamuel:
silly excuse. na airforce excuse worse pass. so because you are to defend our territory and robbery no be territorial crisis, you then decide not to honour the SOS call. PMB, I think the sacking needs to continue.

I don't think you people understand how the law works. You want to turn the armed forces into vigilantes?? Where in the world does the police call on the airforce to assist them during a robbery? How is such a request justified? And in a major metropolis such as Lagos which is meant to be heavily policed? SMH.

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by FirstCounsel(m): 10:24am On Oct 16, 2015
enigma2007:

There is a clear difference between the action of few soldiers taking law into their own hands and an army unit going operational within a country. Sentiments aside, NPF goofed by calling them into the matter..What happened to the Police SARS units?
you understand the issues. One pack of cold fruit juice for you grin
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by modath(f): 10:27am On Oct 16, 2015
enigma2007:

Exactly. Please read this comment modath.

But unfortunately, we do not have a police force, unless we keep lying to oursleves.

What we have is a mediating force... Imagine them settling marital disputes(not assault,just pack comot, I nor dey pack) & drawing debts..

Tell me how that kind of police can be efficient...

They should have heeded their call & sort out jurisdiction later, our situation is peculiar in this country & USA should not be our yardstick.

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by FirstCounsel(m): 10:31am On Oct 16, 2015
Etizz:
Let's be frank, the police can not do everything, now they went through the water, and it's obvious that there is a force that has d responsibility of that, I see no reason why the Navy and airforce shy away their responsibility,..... I strongly luv the truth, and the truth is dat, our so called Navy and airforce are absolutely doing nothing in our country, and they receive huge amount of money monthly........ It's sad.
Sir you obviously don't understand the operational mode of the military. No officer in command of troops would deploy them without authorization from senior commanding officers who in turn must have cleared with their respective Chiefs at Abuja. You want them to be court martialed? You need to understand how coups started in the past to understand that there are tough restrictions on matters like this. Mind you I KNOW what I am saying

3 Likes

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by enigma2007(m): 10:33am On Oct 16, 2015
modath:

But unfortunately, we do not have a police force, unless we keep lying to oursleves.

What we have is a mediating force... Imagine them settling marital disputes(not assault,just pack comot, I nor dey pack) & drawing debts..

Tell me how that kind of police can be efficient...

They should have heeded their call & sort out jurisdiction later, our situation is peculiar in this country & USA should not be our yardstick.

The honest truth is that most people would fret seeing our soldiers engaging in gun battles on any of our streets..Moreover, the military protocols or rules of engagements are very strict and precise. Personally, i will freak out seeing soldiers shooting on my street..

On NPF issue, they need to be overhaul entirely especially their commando (SARS) units.

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by RaptorX: 10:34am On Oct 16, 2015
The problem is how can a single national police force be effective in a country of 200 million people. The police need to be decentralized, let's follow the US model, whereby every town, county or village have their own police force. Or in Nigeria's case on the state level.

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by enigma2007(m): 10:37am On Oct 16, 2015
FirstCounsel:

Sir you obviously don't understand the operational mode of the military. No officer in command of troops would deploy them without authorization from senior commanding officers who in turn must have cleared with their respective Chiefs at Abuja. You want them to be court martialed? You need to understand how coups started in the past to understand that there are tough restrictions on matters like this. Mind you I KNOW what I am saying

Correct..Your head dey dia!

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by FirstCounsel(m): 10:41am On Oct 16, 2015
enigma2007:

Correct..Your head dey dia!
Cheers mate. Any clues on where the Area E commander was redeployed to? I have been searching for the news....thanks
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by millhouse: 10:42am On Oct 16, 2015
kai
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by Etizz: 10:44am On Oct 16, 2015
FirstCounsel:

Alright sir, thanks for enlighten me, but seriously, those airforce don't fly, I think they should patrol by flying round their vicinity in case of emergency like dat, how many times have u seen airforce in the air? Is dat, they don't usually have work dat involves flying? OK, now they have bin called up on, I think the commanding officer u are talking about is aware of the case, why not issue or authorize them to go after dem, or is it not the country they are protecting? Sir, I may not know much though. Thanks
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by j4sure(m): 10:45am On Oct 16, 2015
REPORT THEM TO ARAISE OR EFCC THEN HABI?
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by enigma2007(m): 10:46am On Oct 16, 2015
FirstCounsel:

Cheers mate. Any clues on where the Area E commander was redeployed to? I have been searching for the news....thanks

Hahahaha! Bros! i am not an officer in any of our armed or security forces o! I just enjoy military histories, sciences and precision..
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by tiwiex(m): 10:46am On Oct 16, 2015
OlujobaSamuel:
silly excuse. na airforce excuse worse pass. so because you are to defend our territory and robbery no be territorial crisis, you then decide not to honour the SOS call. PMB, I think the sacking needs to continue.

This was strictly internal security. Na police matter. They should have a chopper Na and even motor boats. Navey and Airforce could not have been on standby for such rapid response. Make police cover face jare.

1 Like

Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by modath(f): 10:49am On Oct 16, 2015
Onegai:

State Mobile Police should have statewide aerial and sea way support in the South. But to leave anything to local government is the worst idea. Not one single local government chairman is functioning in Lagos, how will they discharge support duties to Police?
Someone has now posted pictures of NPF helicopters. So they had them and yet never use them unless it is to carry politicians.

When a friend joked that in order to save Nigeria, we needed to hand it back to colonials, everyone was upset but I doubt Nigerians can run Nigeria even at 45% efficiency.

See my babe ooo cheesy , how are you & princess.....

What do you call counties in the US? They are local govt & the reason our local govts are not functioning is cos the kind of Governance we practise, everything is centralized, but when power is divested from the centre, you'll see a difference...

How do you expect a guy that grew up in bukuru jos to know the ways to police in Ila orangun Oyoo state

Best police practice starts from the local govts, you have you have west hollywood police unit, before LAPD before you now talk about FBI stationed in California..
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by meforyou1(m): 10:51am On Oct 16, 2015
FirstCounsel:

It's easy to sit behind your key board and criticize. The air force has no business in this matter. It's a robbery for crying out loud and you expect the military to deploy a battalion or fighter jets'? Do you even know the process and chains of commands instructions must pass through before troops and equipment are deployed for operations? Its not by mere phone calls or screaming for help over the radio. You need to understand all these before apportioning blames. If the police cannot handle a few gun men, then shame on them!
what do you mean? Is armed robbery not a crime worthy of Airforce attention? Watch 9/11 documentary. When about 2 or 3 aircrafts were missing, an airport officer phoned the military and told them that civil aviation suspects a missing plane was high jacked and was heading to Washington and asked them to scramble jet bombers. They did that immediately. they did not wait for authorization from the commander in chief or from the chairman joint chiefs of staff. Difficult situations deserve quick thinking.
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by FirstCounsel(m): 10:52am On Oct 16, 2015
enigma2007:

Hahahaha! Bros! i am not an officer in any of our armed or security forces o! I just enjoy military histories, sciences and precision..
Ok I see grin
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by athorello(m): 10:53am On Oct 16, 2015
My heart goes to the family of the slain mother and infant child... cry shocked cry . Nigerians should give a break and the NPF should cease this noise about policing until we have a seasoned one. Break the police into federal and states independent units, provide at least 3 helicopters per state, patrol boats, vans, cars, bikes and horses for crowd control coupled with good surveillance. Do more of patrol especially in high risk zones. Also, get well trained human officers who are not like the numerous ascerbic harrasers we have today. Let the police put on a human face. What am I even saying undecided? Do the army and navy have enough capacity to be relied on The whole security apparachi needs a total overhaul. Untill then, Baba God cover your children.
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by Ayatullah(m): 10:58am On Oct 16, 2015
BEFORE 'EKO BAJE PATAPATA'!
Something must be seriously wrong morally and spiritualy with a city where FORTY(40) evil minds congregate at a time to wreck havoc.

The long term neglect of Lagos under previous Federal government has turned Lagos into a Proper jungle City security wise and in term of unattended infrastructure.

Now with a seemingly weak Ambode(compared to Fashola) at the helm of Lagos affairs, the possibility of Lagos getting worse is a painful possibility.

Let Lagosians rise up to save Lagos from total 'Baje'.
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by FirstCounsel(m): 10:59am On Oct 16, 2015
meforyou1:
what do you mean? Is armed robbery not a crime worthy of Airforce attention? Watch 9/11 documentary. When about 2 or 3 aircrafts were missing, an airport officer phoned the military and told them that civil aviation suspects a missing plane was high jacked and was heading to Washington and asked them to scramble jet bombers. They did that immediately. they did not wait for authorization from the commander in chief or from the chairman joint chiefs of staff. Difficult situations deserve quick thinking.

This is Nigeria and not that documentary you are watching. If you were in the military as a commanding officer in Lagos and on that day the robbers struck festival town you DARE deploy as little as 5 men without AUTHORIZATION from your superiors, by now you'd be in hand cuffs under going interrogation by the DMI. You think the various Army Navy and Airforce commanders in Lagos were FOOLS on the day of that robbery? Do you know better than them? Learn before you criticize oga mi.
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by meforyou1(m): 11:01am On Oct 16, 2015
OlujobaSamuel:

Am not defending the NPF, they also gave a silly excuse, but that of the NAF is worse, their rule is not cast on stone. They could have honoured the call and stop those bandits, then we address the ineptitude of the police force later. Are soldiers meant for election, don't you see them during that period, how about subsidy saga.
In the face of death/illegal act, stop it anyway, in as much as the cost will not be more than benefits.
The developed country you cited is up to the task, Nigeria as it is, is not up to. Do you know there is no military in Costa Rica, and it's even forbidden for any House to try enact such law, yet there is crime and they are curtailing it their own way. We are not Americans, British, Ghanaians but We are Nigerians and we need a Nigeria solution. Thanks.
thank u my brother. They keep comparing Nigeria with US and UK. Are we their mates in any way?
Soldiers are already doing vigilante work in Nigeria naa. What are they doing in every checkpoint? If soldiers can engage robbers at the checkpoint, why not at the bank?
Re: FESTAC Robbery: Police Shifts Blame To Navy, Airforce by meforyou1(m): 11:02am On Oct 16, 2015
FirstCounsel:

This is Nigeria and not that documentary you are watching. If you were in the military as a commanding officer in Lagos and on that day the robbers struck festival town you DARE deploy as little as 5 men without AUTHORIZATION from your superiors, by now you'd be in hand cuffs under going interrogation by the DMI. You think the various Army Navy and Airforce commanders in Lagos were FOOLS on the day of that robbery? Do you know better than them? Learn before you criticize oga mi.
do u think u know about the Nigerian Army more than me?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Customs Officer, Comfort Alaba, Kidnapped At Gun Point In Festac, Lagos / Shrine Destroyed As Cultists Surrender Weapons And Charms In Rivers. Photos / Benue Community Set Robber On Fire (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.