Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323558 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 2ndint: 8:39pm On Jun 24, 2016
LagosNIV:

Every case is assessed individually based on the facts that are presented - I don't know the specifics of your case. At this point, you will simply need to attend the interview to move the process forward.

Thanks VO. I really appreciate it. How would you convince/prove that you are unmarried, if VO thinks you're married and getting processed for F2B?

Also, if you have lived in another country(other than your home country or USA). Can VO demand anything other than PCC for that country i.e. can he make an adverse decision, just based on speculation that person has lived in 3rd country undocumented/or overstayed the visa?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lindaayim(f): 8:54am On Jun 25, 2016
hi V.O a friend of mine wants to know why Nigeria is not listed as visa free travel to USA like France and South Korea. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 10:07am On Jun 25, 2016
@All

Please read the title of this thread and ask question in the right thread else your post will be removed.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by peacevilla: 8:00am On Jun 26, 2016
Dear VO,
I bear a first name with alphabet in the middle that can be written
with 's' or 'z', that is Razaq or Rasaq.
In my passport and the letter from my employer it reads 's', but
some of my documents reads 'z' such as my birth and marriage certificate. Can
this pose a problem for me or is there anything I could do to avoid
it prior to interview? Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:05am On Jun 27, 2016
2ndint:

Thanks VO. I really appreciate it. How would you convince/prove that you are unmarried, if VO thinks you're married and getting processed for F2B?

Also, if you have lived in another country(other than your home country or USA). Can VO demand anything other than PCC for that country i.e. can he make an adverse decision, just based on speculation that person has lived in 3rd country undocumented/or overstayed the visa?

The VO can request any information that they determine is necessary to complete the process. I recommend you just go to your interview with the documents you have instead of trying to come up with every possibility of something that might happen.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:06am On Jun 27, 2016
lindaayim:
hi V.O a friend of mine wants to know why Nigeria is not listed as visa free travel to USA like France and South Korea. Thanks

There are a number of factors, but ultimately this is determined by agreements between our two governments.

Americans, for example, have visa free travel to France and South Korea and they in turn extend that courtesy to us. Americans are, however, required to have a Nigerian visa to travel here. Thus, in the spirit of diplomacy, we can only be expected to require the same in return.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:09am On Jun 27, 2016
peacevilla:
Dear VO,
I bear a first name with alphabet in the middle that can be written
with 's' or 'z', that is Razaq or Rasaq.
In my passport and the letter from my employer it reads 's', but
some of my documents reads 'z' such as my birth and marriage certificate. Can
this pose a problem for me or is there anything I could do to avoid
it prior to interview? Thanks.

If this difference is as extensive as you say, then there is no way to truly correct all of your records now. That being said, VOs are familiar with the fact that certain letters translate differently across languages. I suggest you list the alternate spelling as an alias to avoid any confusion. This becomes a real problem, however, if you apply under one spelling and then choose to apply under a different spelling and chose not to mention it.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mykaboo: 7:20pm On Jun 28, 2016
I am getting nervous since our petition is approved and I had emailed an inflamed email to USCIS and later requested them to ignore my emailed withdrawal request. I am sure they have placed that in the file that is on its way to Lagos. I have written another, current letter of intent to marry and am requesting my family submit more affidavits of support. But I am scared that won't be enough to overcome my email to USCIS. Should we just withdraw and start a third petition with a clean slate? I don't think I can handle a second denial. The first was very hurtful and this second petition was very stressful only to possibly be denied again. Plus I am well over $10k in on everything and another denial is killing.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Qadeejarh(f): 7:38am On Jun 29, 2016
Hello VO,
I'm trying to apply for a J1 Visa. I got an offer from an organization in California already to come work with them. This organization is ready to provide me with documents, if need be, to show they will be hosting me. The first step in application for the J1 Visa however is getting a US designated program sponsor; I have been trying to get a program sponsor but I've not found a suitable one. Most of the ones I saw don't have any agency in Nigeria. Is there any "Nigerian certified" program sponsor you could recommend? Your response will be appreciated at your earliest convenience, thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by zealz4u(m): 10:31am On Jun 29, 2016
Hello VO,
I have a brother in the US through American visa lottery. He left to the US in 2014. He is working and schooling as well. Please I want to know the necessary conditions to make me eligible to apply for a US visit visa , the conditions to make him eligible to accommodate me and how long I can stay during the visit?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 29, 2016
mykaboo:
I am getting nervous since our petition is approved and I had emailed an inflamed email to USCIS and later requested them to ignore my emailed withdrawal request. I am sure they have placed that in the file that is on its way to Lagos. I have written another, current letter of intent to marry and am requesting my family submit more affidavits of support. But I am scared that won't be enough to overcome my email to USCIS. Should we just withdraw and start a third petition with a clean slate? I don't think I can handle a second denial. The first was very hurtful and this second petition was very stressful only to possibly be denied again. Plus I am well over $10k in on everything and another denial is killing.

There is no such thing as a "clean slate" at this point - the interviewing officer will be able to see all of your previous files. You should evaluate carefully whether or not you send emails to USCIS threatening to withdraw petitions for any reasons as this is a very serious matter.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by medeay(m): 2:39pm On Jun 29, 2016
Good day VO, while filling my ds260 form, i mistakenly answered NO instead of YES to the question "Do you have any kid(s). I am so worried and dont know what to do because its been submitted to the NVC. I need a possible solution please.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by urbanrave: 4:19pm On Jun 29, 2016
I have a biological brother in America who is a legal citizen.He just submitted my application for immigrant visa and please i want to know how long it will take for the visa to be granted and can i still apply for a student visa while the processing of the immigrant visa is Still going on?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Eljefe(m): 5:41pm On Jun 29, 2016
Hi V.O, I am a LPR an I have lived in the US for about a year. I'm about to get married to my fiance in Nigeria and file for her to join me. I would like to know what documents I would need for this process and what my chances are of getting it approved...Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mykaboo: 6:48pm On Jun 29, 2016
LagosNIV:

There is no such thing as a "clean slate" at this point - the interviewing officer will be able to see all of your previous files. You should evaluate carefully whether or not you send emails to USCIS threatening to withdraw petitions for any reasons as this is a very serious matter.

Approval of a fiance visa seems futile at this point. I am guessing that a spousal would be futile as well then cause it is the same derogatory info on file?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ejiro2006(f): 10:16pm On Jun 29, 2016
Hello VO,

Help! What do i do? The date of my visa interview falls on a public holiday.
undecided
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by OneGuyLikeDat: 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2016
Hello VO, could you please tell me available option(s) to file for a fiancee of a permanent resident, the requirements and processing time? the fiancee does not live in the US. thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 30, 2016
medeay:
Good day VO, while filling my ds260 form, i mistakenly answered NO instead of YES to the question "Do you have any kid(s). I am so worried and dont know what to do because its been submitted to the NVC. I need a possible solution please.

Thanks

You can contact NVC to update your file regarding any dependents.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 30, 2016
urbanrave:
I have a biological brother in America who is a legal citizen.He just submitted my application for immigrant visa and please i want to know how long it will take for the visa to be granted and can i still apply for a student visa while the processing of the immigrant visa is Still going on?

This all depends on the priority date and how quickly you respond to questions when USCIS needs additional information, but the process for a sibling visa takes several years at the very least. You can, however, still applying for a student visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 30, 2016
Eljefe:
Hi V.O, I am a LPR an I have lived in the US for about a year. I'm about to get married to my fiance in Nigeria and file for her to join me. I would like to know what documents I would need for this process and what my chances are of getting it approved...Thanks!

Start here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:32am On Jun 30, 2016
mykaboo:

Approval of a fiance visa seems futile at this point. I am guessing that a spousal would be futile as well then cause it is the same derogatory info on file?

If you are legitimately married or engaged, then she will be eligible for the visa class. Your past behavior during the application process, however, will always be a factor that is taken into consideration, especially when you are withdrawing applications repeatedly. Immigration of your intended spouse is a serious matter - if you are toying with them and using this as a threat, then perhaps there are deeper issues than just the immigration process.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 30, 2016
OneGuyLikeDat:
Hello VO, could you please tell me available option(s) to file for a fiancee of a permanent resident, the requirements and processing time? the fiancee does not live in the US. thanks

Start here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 30, 2016
ejiro2006:
Hello VO,

Help! What do i do? The date of my visa interview falls on a public holiday.
undecided

Unless your interview has been rescheduled, it is still set for that date.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mykaboo: 1:38am On Jul 01, 2016
LagosNIV:

If you are legitimately married or engaged, then she will be eligible for the visa class. Your past behavior during the application process, however, will always be a factor that is taken into consideration, especially when you are withdrawing applications repeatedly. Immigration of your intended spouse is a serious matter - if you are toying with them and using this as a threat, then perhaps there are deeper issues than just the immigration process.

We are legitimately engaged, both of our parents and families approve. This is our second fiance petition because the first was denied last interview. So no repeated withdrawals. No financial, physical, emotional threats or maliciousness. We were just dumb enough to try to start an online business together and there is a reason that most couples do not work or go into business together. We learned why the hard way. Caused many many many arguments about what to do for this issue, what to do for that issue, etc. Why isn't this being done, why isn't that being done, how much is this change costing, how much is that change costing. Did you meet with this person, give me more descriptive details about x,y,z. Then toss in someones opinion from Facebook as a last straw. Me making a hasty and stupid mistake and crying profusely to USCIS on the phone and now scared to death. We are in a real relationship that has has many real relationship issues. I am fire, he is water who are crazy in love.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by precioussameer: 4:03am On Jul 01, 2016
dear vo

i am sameer. i am an indian citizen and i live in dubai, united arab emirates(born and brought up). i am a small business owner here in dubai. i have a wife, also indian citizen. i have two kids, both are american citizens as they were born in usa. i have never over stayed in usa on b1/b2 visa. i paid hospital bills in full for both of my kids. no balance at all.
my oldest kid is almost 4 years old. i want both of my kids to study and live in usa.but me and my wife are indian nationals and have b1/b2 visa till sep 2019. so we cant live in usa with our kids on b1/b2 visa. as u know we cant live or work in usa on b1/b2 visa to support our kids.

i applied for diversity visa in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 for me and my wife. but unfortunately still unlucky.............
b1/b2 visa gives us maximum of 6 months of stay, but cant work, no bank account, no driving etc etc
we also don,t fit in any category of immigrant visa except diversity visa
my question is: is there any suitable US visa for us in which we can live and work in usa to support our kids?? or i keeping applying for
diversity visa every year?? what options do we have??
i just dont want to go to usa on b1/b2 visa and overstay, work illegally and become illegal alien. thats not me.

any advice will be very helpfull for me
thanksss
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 01, 2016
precioussameer:
dear vo

i am sameer. i am an indian citizen and i live in dubai, united arab emirates(born and brought up). i am a small business owner here in dubai. i have a wife, also indian citizen. i have two kids, both are american citizens as they were born in usa. i have never over stayed in usa on b1/b2 visa. i paid hospital bills in full for both of my kids. no balance at all.
my oldest kid is almost 4 years old. i want both of my kids to study and live in usa.but me and my wife are indian nationals and have b1/b2 visa till sep 2019. so we cant live in usa with our kids on b1/b2 visa. as u know we cant live or work in usa on b1/b2 visa to support our kids.

i applied for diversity visa in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 for me and my wife. but unfortunately still unlucky.............
b1/b2 visa gives us maximum of 6 months of stay, but cant work, no bank account, no driving etc etc
we also don,t fit in any category of immigrant visa except diversity visa
my question is: is there any suitable US visa for us in which we can live and work in usa to support our kids?? or i keeping applying for
diversity visa every year?? what options do we have??
i just dont want to go to usa on b1/b2 visa and overstay, work illegally and become illegal alien. thats not me.

any advice will be very helpfull for me
thanksss

In order to immigrate to the US, you will have to fit into one of the categories for an immigrants visa, either by family relation (brother, sister, or parent is an American citizen) or through work (H1B petition for special skillsets or the EB1 investor visa). Unfortunately, outside of these options your only bet would be to continue applying for the diversity visa.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by christyox: 1:11am On Jul 08, 2016
Hi everyone its been a while someone posted here, hope u all are cool. Just wanted to know if there has been anyone on the F4 category who got a visa appointment date recently(What was Ur priority date)? @ VO please explain how the dates on the visa bulletin works, does it mean the dates on the bulletin are the ones being interviewed for that particular month or to be interviewed after that month. Sorry I am asking but Ur answers would benefit me. Have missed u all especially the VOs. Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.