Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Nigerians To Use New Postal Code - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerians To Use New Postal Code (1071 Views)

Nigerians To Enjoy Steady Power By Oct-fg / Festac 77 Postal Stamps Needed Urgently Please / Fg Inaugurates National Postal Code: Step Towards A Right Direction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Use New Postal Code by Grouppoint(m): 9:46am On Apr 29, 2009
source: http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Finance/5409404-146/Nigerians_to_use_new_postal_code.csp

As part of our nation’s re-branding campaign initiated by the Minister of Information and Communication, Dora Akunyili, a new postal code system was on Monday officially launched in Nigeria.

Speaking at a workshop entitled, “Addressing as a strategic Infrastructure for National Development,” Mrs. Akunyili explained that the postal code system was a welcome development in re-branding the communications sector of Nigeria.

“In every part of the world, you are required to fill a postal code in almost all the forms,” she said.

“It used to be very embarrassing when I fill forms abroad and I have to leave out the column for a postal code.

When I came on board in December 2008, I gave the Post Master General, Mallam Ibrahim Mori Baba, the responsibility of creating a national postal code in four months and I’m glad that he was able to meet up the expectation. This is a landmark in our system.”

According to her, the usage of the postal code should make it easier to deliver mail, in the first instance, to large organisations.

The minister also stated that with the re-branding of the organisation, NIPOST would aid national development as well as provide employment for the people.

The new post codes will be published in newspapers and will also be obtainable from post offices across Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians To Use New Postal Code by Grouppoint(m): 9:48am On Apr 29, 2009
Pls join me in welcoming Nigeria into civilization.

Will it work though?
Re: Nigerians To Use New Postal Code by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 29, 2009
sss
Re: Nigerians To Use New Postal Code by Grouppoint(m): 2:27pm On Apr 29, 2009
chaircover:

The city of Ibadan already has postcodes

Very hard to believe. Do you mean that each house in Ibadan can be located by its post code?
Re: Nigerians To Use New Postal Code by debosky(m): 2:33pm On Apr 29, 2009
chaircover:

The city of Ibadan already has postcodes

Grouppoint:

Very hard to believe. Do you mean that each house in Ibadan can be located by its post code?

Ibadan having postcodes is not synonymous with every house having a post code by which it can be located. The system may have limited coverage and can always be extended to unlisted homes/developments.

The system exists and has been in operation before now, although it wasn't well publicized. I had a post codes in Lagos in 2004 when I sought out the information from a post office.

NIPOST's website had a 'find a post code' link that was active sometime in 2006/07 before it was deactivated for improvement.
Re: Nigerians To Use New Postal Code by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 29, 2009

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Kidnappers Abduct School Children From Bus / Why Are All Employers Downsizing In Nigeria? / Facebook Has Shattered Her Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.