Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE (7320 Views)

Hummer Jeep Carries Bamboo Sticks From Market In The East (Photos) / China Is Getting The Largest Tesla Supercharger Station In The World / Advantages Of Using New Motor Parts Over Used Parts (2) (3) (4)

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by sultaan(m): 7:45pm On Oct 19, 2015
Piyke:

Got it for NGN1500 and it works perfect! I didn't get the whole assembly nor did I get the one with the cut wire. Here's a link to the exact used part I got:

http://www.diyautoworksng.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/20150825_161920-e1442033172553.jpg

That one is just the oil pressure sensor

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by Piyke: 11:08pm On Oct 19, 2015
Inception:
Piyke,

Hi,

Although this might be a bit of a digression,

when your car has fully warmed up, and you engage drive with the A/C on, do you experience vibration in the cabin?

please respond.

Nope
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by Piyke: 11:12pm On Oct 19, 2015
sultaan:

That one is just the oil pressure sensor

Guess you mean VTEC oil pressure switch cos the oil pressure sensor is a totally different part.
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by sultaan(m): 1:21am On Oct 20, 2015
Piyke:

Guess you mean VTEC oil pressure switch cos the oil pressure sensor is a totally different part.

Yes but it is a oil pressure sensor/switch too that can be purchased desperately that is why I was asking about the cut wires basically to know if you only needed the solenoid and transfer the switch from the old one
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by sultaan(m): 1:25am On Oct 20, 2015
For those who think it business to buy engines like my brother in China they should think about it this way. Our generation has been turned to scavengers and we are proudly displaying it for the whole world to see. When my father bought his Volvo in the 70s he ordered it through Leventis now we have been reduced to this as our only option
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:47am On Oct 20, 2015
sultaan:
For those who think it business to buy engines like my brother in China they should think about it this way. Our generation has been turned to scavengers and we are proudly displaying it for the whole world to see. When my father bought his Volvo in the 70s he ordered it through Leventis now we have been reduced to this as our only option

Then the dollar to naira rate was?

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by abatically(m): 10:46am On Oct 20, 2015
sultaan:

Oga what r u talking about? Can u spend $5,000 for engine rebuild for a car that is worth $4,000? Or can u spend $10,000 to buy a brand new engine for a car that is worth $8,000? Why do u think insurance sell off cars at auction in developed countries? It's mainly because repair cost is higher than the worth of the car. Our standard of living is not the same as theirs. U think it's a lie? Then why don't u come back home and live in Nigeria.

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by conyema12(m): 9:57am On Oct 21, 2015
Piyke:

Got it for NGN1500 and it works perfect! I didn't get the whole assembly nor did I get the one with the cut wire. Here's a link to the exact used part I got:

http://www.diyautoworksng.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/20150825_161920-e1442033172553.jpg

Great post. I know it wouldnt be easy navigating through the busy market.

Good to know i can source for my Toyota rav4 2006 oxygen sensor at a cheaper price. I cant imagine buying it 30k for one
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by ZUBY77(m): 11:04am On Oct 21, 2015
conyema12:

Great post. I know it wouldnt be easy navigating through the busy market.

Good to know i can source for my Toyota rav4 2006 oxygen sensor at a cheaper price. I cant imagine buying it 30k for one

Tell that to the guy who said it's a crime to import used spare parts.
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by conyema12(m): 3:11pm On Oct 21, 2015
ZUBY77:

Tell that to the guy who said it's a crime to imported used spare parts.

Dont mind them bros
Most people in this forum are funny. Let him own a car first, fuel it before talking about buying the spare parts.

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by sultaan(m): 4:09pm On Oct 21, 2015
Salvaged parts not the problem.

The problem is it is the only one we know and most times price of used parts are more expensive than than in the west.

How do you explain that situation it is when we accept our fate like this that we become oblivious to possibilities that previously was a norm.

Even with the exchange rate in the drain some parts are still cheaper new.

This industry will grow if people see better thingd have a vision of transacting with the best not the rejected.

There was a piece of reversal of GEJ's auto policy but it has not been confirmed and it is one of those policies that destroyed the economy basically policies that increase govt revenue is bad.
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by adanny01(m): 9:53pm On Oct 21, 2015
Piyke:

You may be aware that i have always complained about engine oil level drop with no spot on the ground where i park. No serious leakage has been noticed before now, though the leakage doesnt get to the ground. I have notice my oil level drops quicker now and have seen fresh stains of oil on my right drive shaft and the engine mount beam close to the shaft. I have also seen my oil filter wet which is in same area as the visible leakage even as the whole area is wet with oil. I have investigated the oil filter for leakage but havent seen any until i saw this thread.

I can confirm now that my major leakage comes from around the VTEC oil pressure switch and solenoid area. This is found directly above the oil filter and the shaft which i have seen fresh oil leaks.

I will be doing more investigations tomorrow but will like to ask, what in your case was the problem, was it leakage? If it was leakage, did you conclude the o-ring as shown in the pic on the link was to blame?

I may not be able to source these parts in my current location but if the o-ring is the culprit, then i believe some silicone gum will reduce the leakage till i find a permanent solution. Silicone gum was able to stop leakages on my PS pump o-rings locations and also a leakage i had on the VTC filter screen.

I have noticed that more and more oil gaskets and o-rings are giving up in my car of recent.
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:13pm On Oct 21, 2015
adanny01:

I have noticed that more and more oil gaskets and o-rings are giving up in my car of recent.

I think 10 years of service is grand for all those parts you have mentioned. Are you referring to the 2003 Accord? Then those parts might have been in service for nearly 12 years!

All those guys buying 1999 or older cars including but not limited to models that are sold for a premium because of their fabled reliability and not replacing the above as well as the radiator hoses with brand new might be setting themselves up for serious trouble should any of those fail during one long distance trip or another
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by abatically(m): 10:17pm On Oct 21, 2015
sultaan:
Salvaged parts not the problem.

The problem is it is the only one we know and most times price of used parts are more expensive than than in the west.

How do you explain that situation it is when we accept our fate like this that we become oblivious to possibilities that previously was a norm.

Even with the exchange rate in the drain some parts are still cheaper new.

This industry will grow if people see better thingd have a vision of transacting with the best not the rejected.

There was a piece of reversal of GEJ's auto policy but it has not been confirmed and it is one of those policies that destroyed the economy basically policies that increase govt revenue is bad.

Bros, why do u like spewing trash here, I just don't get it. U are the same guy advising a 23 yr old buying his first car to buy a camaro or Mustang. How can a new part be cheaper than a used one if both are genuine. Factory replacement cost of gearbox for 2003-2007 Honda Accord costs $6,500. That is 1.2 million naira for a brand new gearbox plus labour. How much do u think that car is worth to spend 1.2m on transmission. Why would I pay that when I can buy a used gearbox for 85k. I've lived abroad and trust me those people also source parts from junkyards when the cost for new parts are unbelievably expensive. I didn't even include shipping and clearing fees.

There are some parts that are better buying brand new. These are wear and tear parts like 02 sensors, air filter, oil filter, brake pads, speed sensors, etc. But there are some parts that doesn't make sense buying brand new expecially for old cars. Can u advise someone to buy a brand new engine and transmission for a 15 year old car? Where will u even source it from? Do u know a brand new hub for some cars can cost as much as $1,000? When u can buy a used one for $60 and will last u up to 7 years.

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by Piyke: 1:19am On Oct 22, 2015
adanny01:

You may be aware that i have always complained about engine oil level drop with no spot on the ground where i park. No serious leakage has been noticed before now, though the leakage doesnt get to the ground. I have notice my oil level drops quicker now and have seen fresh stains of oil on my right drive shaft and the engine mount beam close to the shaft. I have also seen my oil filter wet which is in same area as the visible leakage even as the whole area is wet with oil. I have investigated the oil filter for leakage but havent seen any until i saw this thread.

I can confirm now that my major leakage comes from around the VTEC oil pressure switch and solenoid area. This is found directly above the oil filter and the shaft which i have seen fresh oil leaks.

I will be doing more investigations tomorrow but will like to ask, what in your case was the problem, was it leakage? If it was leakage, did you conclude the o-ring as shown in the pic on the link was to blame?

I may not be able to source these parts in my current location but if the o-ring is the culprit, then i believe some silicone gum will reduce the leakage till i find a permanent solution. Silicone gum was able to stop leakages on my PS pump o-rings locations and also a leakage i had on the VTC filter screen.

This post will help [url] http://www.diyautoworksng.com/replacement-of-leaking-vtec-oil-pressure-switch-on-the-2003-accord/[/url]
My advice, replace the o-ring, if that doesn't work, replace the VTEC oil pressure switch itself. You may want to do this without bringing down the VTEC solenoid assembly since the filter of the assembly may develop leaks if you do. If it does, it will be more challenging to fix leaks from the filter with silicone gum.
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by luvinhubby(m): 10:24pm On Oct 22, 2015
ZUBY77:

I operate in the two markets.
So believe it when I tell you which one is bigger.

Ladipo is way bigger than Mgbuka Obosi, i know both.

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by sultaan(m): 2:08am On Oct 24, 2015
abatically:

Bros, why do u like spewing trash here, I just don't get it. U are the same guy advising a 23 yr old buying his first car to buy a camaro or Mustang. How can a new part be cheaper than a used one if both are genuine. Factory replacement cost of gearbox for 2003-2007 Honda Accord costs $6,500. That is 1.2 million naira for a brand new gearbox plus labour. How much do u think that car is worth to spend 1.2m on transmission. Why would I pay that when I can buy a used gearbox for 85k. I've lived abroad and trust me those people also source parts from junkyards when the cost for new parts are unbelievably expensive. I didn't even include shipping and clearing fees.

There are some parts that are better buying brand new. These are wear and tear parts like 02 sensors, air filter, oil filter, brake pads, speed sensors, etc. But there are some parts that doesn't make sense buying brand new expecially for old cars. Can u advise someone to buy a brand new engine and transmission for a 15 year old car? Where will u even source it from? Do u know a brand new hub for some cars can cost as much as $1,000? When u can buy a used one for $60 and will last u up to 7 years.

I know you might think I have started wearing turban and grown some beard but it still me.

From my point of view a young Nigerian man is proudly showing the world his import business and the picture of his source of livelihood is considered thrash in that industry.

There is salvaged parts and rebuilt parts once those parts are exposed to the elements ready for recycling it is what it's called.

There is no there are rebuilt engines for older cars because they can be remanufactured to be even better than the original engine same goes for transmission. Companies also sell rebuild kits for those willing to DIY. Because things are not available in Nigeria does not mean they don't exist.

A car is only worth what the next person is willing to pay for it, if I take a 2007 Camry with 500 miles and a 2015 Camry with 40000 miles on it you will pay more for one of the despite costing same amount new.
Nigerians usually buy cars over 10 years old so we scour through western hunk yards for parts cars 8 years apart rarely share parts

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by abatically(m): 3:14am On Oct 24, 2015
sultaan:

I know you might think I have started wearing turban and grown some beard but it still me.

From my point of view a young Nigerian man is proudly showing the world his import business and the picture of his source of livelihood is considered thrash in that industry.

There is salvaged parts and rebuilt parts once those parts are exposed to the elements ready for recycling it is what it's called.

There is no there are rebuilt engines for older cars because they can be remanufactured to be even better than the original engine same goes for transmission. Companies also sell rebuild kits for those willing to DIY. Because things are not available in Nigeria does not mean they don't exist.

A car is only worth what the next person is willing to pay for it, if I take a 2007 Camry with 500 miles and a 2015 Camry with 40000 miles on it you will pay more for one of the despite costing same amount new.
Nigerians usually buy cars over 10 years old so we scour through western hunk yards for parts cars 8 years apart rarely share parts

Oga u are still yearning thrash. Even Americans buy 20 yr old cars and they don't buy brand new engine or transmission for them. Who in his rightful mind would but a $3,000 car and fit an $8,000 engine in it unless it's a rare classic.

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by adanny01(m): 7:16am On Oct 24, 2015
sultaan:

Am just wondering why the comparison. Its not ok to campare standard of car maintenance to ours when you cannot equally compare our standard of living. If Nigerians could afford standard of living obtainable in America, Uk etc we will certainly afford brand new oem spare parts.

At that point we will even make our own cars and parts and dont need to import spart parts at added cost. Infact, manufacturers will come into Nigeria competing to sell and service their cars. At our condition, its not affordable.

One thing you fail to understand is that spare parts as obtainable abroad go for a specific cost, but nigerians will pay extra to even double to get the same part in developed countries. Why wont we resort to another source in this case the junk yard. A 2007 toyota camry owner in the US can afford to buy a part of say $100, in Nigeria the part becomes $150-200 due to shipping and customs charges. Not forgeting the exchange rate which makes it unwise as in relation to the worth of the car.

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by billyG(m): 8:16am On May 29, 2016
Piyke:

u mean u cnt ssee that in ladipo?that u hav 2 go 2 obosi 4 it.
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by Piyke: 1:42pm On May 29, 2016
billyG:

I don't stay in Lagos

Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by Piyke: 1:54pm On May 29, 2016
billyG:

I don't stay in Lagos. Was at Asaba when I did this so it was just a couple minutes drive
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by Athina1982(f): 5:14pm On Sep 15, 2022
ZUBY77:
Yeah. It's the largest, even larger than Ladipo.

I have two warehouses there where we offload our goods.

I am currently in China shipping the parts.
While younger brother takes care of things down there.

Pls give me a contact there we are looking for half and top of a honda accord 2010 model
Re: My Trip to 'Mgbuka Obosi' the Largest Used Parts Market in the SE by ZUBY77(m): 5:22pm On Sep 15, 2022
Athina1982:
Pls give me a contact there we are looking for half and top of a honda accord 2010 model

+2348067911016
His name is Chukwuma.
Tell him you are from BOSS

Toyota Sienna Overheating / Nissan To Unveil Mind-Reading Car System That Speed Up Drivers Reaction Times / Does Your Engine Oil Dry Up?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62