Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,908 members, 7,828,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Right Or Wrong? Promising A Child A Reward For Academic Excellence - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Right Or Wrong? Promising A Child A Reward For Academic Excellence (2335 Views)

Help Us Find Missing Bimbo Adewoye!!!! N100,000 Reward For Information (Photo) / My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / AT The Age Of 12 Her DAD Still Baths Her In The Bathroom. "Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Right Or Wrong? Promising A Child A Reward For Academic Excellence by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2015
crackhaus:

grin

What's confusing you?

The angry face.
Re: Right Or Wrong? Promising A Child A Reward For Academic Excellence by byvan03: 6:34pm On Oct 17, 2015
I don't care if it is right or wrong, I promise my kids, my parents did the same. It didn't affect us in anyway, there is nothing wrong with rewarding a brilliant child, felt very cool getting more than just a sheet of paper for ones academic excellence.

A bottle of ribena isn't too much nah, haba!but it brings this priceless glee to the child's face smiley.
Re: Right Or Wrong? Promising A Child A Reward For Academic Excellence by EfemenaXY: 10:52pm On Oct 17, 2015
Alubosa:
My nephew is presently with me to spend the mid-term brake. We were having breakfast this morning and I decided to engage him in a little conversation about his academics, peer pressure, grades and school generally. Minutes into our conversation the li'l man told me his dad has promised to take him to Disneyland (Orlando FL, USA) if he comes top of his class this session. shocked. Is this necessary? Ain't we supposed to make our wards understand the fact that it is their sole responsibilty to excel in their academics? My wife is however against my stand on this. Pls I need your opinions.

I actually don't see anything wrong with it, especially if the end justifies the means.

However, the "rewarder" should always factor in the child's age and ensure the reward and is age-appropriate. Someone touched on the timing and that's another factor to consider. The younger the child, the shorter the timeframe they can wait. Nevertheless, it's all about actions and consequences. Least I forget, the frequency with which this approach is adopted shouldn't be excessive otherwise the child will always expect a reward / develop an entitlement mentality even to get the basics done. Moderation is the key - but nice concept nonetheless. A little "bribery" can be motivational.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Things Married And Unmarried Should Learn From Tiwa And Teebliz Melodrama / Should I Share A Room With My Wife Or Live In Separate Rooms In The House? / WHAT MEN TRULY WANT VS WHAT THEY GO FOR AND REASONS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.