Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,063 members, 7,838,699 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 (1028 Views)

Tunde Bakare : A Rare Breed Of Hypocrites / Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation?-by Peregrino Brimah / Boko Haram Releases New Audio, Shekau Calls Chadian President A Hypocrite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by mex004(m): 4:27pm On Oct 17, 2015
Is Nigeria a nation of hypocrites or a hypocrite nation?
Peregrino Brimah
11:44 16/10/2015
In October of 2013, on the 15th of the month to be precise, Nigeria was lit up with the Stella Oduah scandal. The so-named #OduahGate. Our then minister of Aviation under the Jonathan administration was hounded and eventually forced out of office for a "scandal" SaharaReporters broke of her purchasing for N255 million two bullet proof BMW's that according to PremiumTimes should cost tops, N128 million. In effect Stella fleeced Nigeria of about N100 million; that's about $625,000! We saw all holier than thou activists, newspapers, bloggers and the like
screaming to the high heavens about Stella's misappropriation. She was called all sorts of names and eventually she was rightfully kicked out of the government by a reluctant Jonathan.
Indeed this scandal was one of the main factors that fueled angst against the Jonathan administration and sent it packing.
Fast forward to now, 15th of October, precisely two years later. A newly nominated and now confirmed minister, the former governor of Lagos state, Babatunde Raji Fashola was accused of misappropriating N139 million ($870,000) for the dredging of two boreholes , according to Lagos state
government and as contained in all main
media outlets.

The cost of a borehole around the world
is about $1000 [PDF].
In essence, new minister Fashola's government spent what could drill give or take, 800 boreholes to drill just two. Or we may say, his government misappropriated looted/ coveted $868,000! Over $230,000
more than we stoned Stella for.
And we just supervised his nomination,
confirmation and as we all observed, those same "activists," those same media...we have reviewed comments by all the many names of 100k+ fans and likes popular activists, the same people that cast the stones at Stella and the common reaction is, "Fashola slammed it." PremiumTimes gave him an 8 or
9/10 for performance despite recognizing and criticizing his lackadaisical response to serious queries of the gross abuse of the funds by his administration which in their words he gave an "obfuscated" response to.

Also Read: Corruption: A bane to socio-economic and political development Fashola's response to the tribunal was a slight to the panel and Nigeria as a whole. He put his finger up the "Change" act's nose. He said, "I am a Lawyer and so I should not be expected
to do the numbers." This was the height of recklessness and political office- holder insolence. He further said, "I do not personally sign the cheques."
Well Stella Oduah does not sign the cheques either. Diezani never signs the cheques. The response Fashola gave was elitist, condescending, averse and insultingly perverse. "I hope my loyalty will not be questioned," he further said in honesty.
Is this what we are? A nation of hypocrites? Is it about "loyalty" for all the activists and media that hounded on Stella but praise and positively appraise Fashola?
Of course the Senate loves him and confirmed him. They need the likes of him to protect them and their extravagant ways as well as his and their coterie of cabal: cement, phone and oil monopolist bed-mates.
So aloof and unabashed of his grievous crime as executive governor of the state whose reckless spending was under review, does this not mean that as a new Minister, millions of dollars / billions of Naira will likewise be formally looted and a straight-back, raised chin political- position-dependent Fashola will again tell us that he does not sign the cheques under his ministry?

I am lost for words. I hope I got something wrong here. Perhaps he did not spend the acclaimed sum on just two boreholes. Perhaps it was ultra-efficient, acres cooling water fountains and farm rigging systems. Perhaps this is why he brazenly slighted us in response. Hopefully he knows it is semi illegal for his government to be drilling boreholes when it should be providing pipe-borne water. I must be wrong. Of course, If I was wrong, he would/should have told us the correct thing at the screening...no? Please correct me if I am right [RO].
$12,500 beds, $450,000 boreholes and
$400,000 personal websites?
I have said enough.
2019 cometh.
Nigeria will make it!
- MyNews24

http://news24.com/Nigeria/MyNews24/Is-Nigeria-a-nation-of-hypocrites-or-a-hypocrite-nation-20151016

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by knuckbuck(m): 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2015
Nice write up.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by Trut(m): 4:39pm On Oct 17, 2015
OP, Nigeria is a confirmed hypocrite Nation, You shouldn't be asking the question.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by Meramera10(m): 4:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
All we need in this Country call Nigeria is prayers and a change of attitude towards national issues because truth be told we r all corrupt from the least amongst Us to the greatest.
Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by mex004(m): 4:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
knuckbuck:
Nice write up.

It really unfortunate that its the youths praising these corrupt politicians.
I don't see this country developing any time soon because its same corrupt people that are been recycled year in year out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by patrick89(m): 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2015
The hypocrisy in this country will make you weep! It shows that the country is a mere geographical expression!. Truth is injurious to the fabrics of the country nigeria. If you say the truth, it will become heating the polity! hypocrisy is the only thing that keeps the country going.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by mex004(m): 4:48pm On Oct 17, 2015
Trut:
Nice article

Its only in Nigeria that people steal billions but once they join a particular political party, they are automatically termed saints. Its really unfortunate

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by TechRev: 4:57pm On Oct 17, 2015
Both.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by mex004(m): 4:58pm On Oct 17, 2015
patrick89:
The hypocrisy in this country will make you weep! It shows that the country is a mere geographical expression!. Truth is injurious to the fabrics of the country nigeria. If you say the truth, it will become heating the polity! hypocrisy is the only thing that keeps the country going.

Its now obvious why the gap between the rich politicians and the masses keep getting wide.
Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by mex004(m): 6:15pm On Oct 18, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 18, 2015
Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 18, 2015
Nigerians don't like the truth and they won't accept it for any reason until its late. Watch out for the people that will come with statements #wailers, #As long as he will deliver. The latter actually annoys me the most cos how do u expect evil to produce good? This same people when buhari steps down will now come and start ranting about buhari's bad deeds. The hypocrisy level is really debilitating as well as disgusting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by mex004(m): 6:59pm On Oct 18, 2015
VonBismark:
Nigerians don't like the truth and they won't accept it for any reason until its late. Watch out for the people that will come with statements #wailers, #As long as he will deliver. The latter actually annoys me the most cos how do u expect evil to produce good? This same people when buhari steps down will now come and start ranting about buhari's bad deeds. The hypocrisy level is really debilitating as well as disgusting.

Hmmmmmm.......i
With these level of hypocrisy if anyone is waiting for this present government to better the life of the masses, then that individual needs his/her brain checked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by Trut(m): 8:19pm On Oct 18, 2015
mex004:

Hmmmmmm.......i
With these level of hypocrisy if anyone is waiting for this present government to better the life of the masses, then that individual needs his/her brain checked.

You're right

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by temitemi1(m): 11:18am On Oct 19, 2015
Propaganda+lies+hypocrite=buhari's govt cool

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by mex004(m): 11:45am On Oct 19, 2015
temitemi1:
Propaganda+lies+hypocrite=buhari's govt cool
You have said it all
Re: Is Nigeria A Nation Of Hypocrites Or A Hypocrite Nation? - News24 by ziccoit: 11:58am On Oct 19, 2015
All I know is that if the civil service is straightened up and civil servants are made to follow the rule of engagement to the letter the corrupt politicians would not have a hiding place. Fashola shifted the blame on civil servants and nobody, even our press is yet to find out what really transpired. Nigeria is rotten and it is highly disheartened that we all fold our arms and look on as the events unfold.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Photos; See The Cache Of Deadly Weapons Recovered From Cattle Rustlers In Kano / Igbo Are Over 70% Of Rivers , Wike Will Not Loss / Niger Delta Leader, Edwin Clark Declares Allegiance To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.