Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,682 members, 7,827,526 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? (13000 Views)

Bunmi Okunowo: The Man In Charge Of Nigeria's ICT. Profile And Picture. / Why Nigeria Is Backward: Mark Zuckerberg Vs Nigeria's ICT Minister - Pix / Tinubu Corruption Profile: How He Illegally Cornered 371.1 Billion Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ofodirinwa: 7:07pm On Oct 19, 2015
Eziokwu1:

But Globacom alone is already worth more than $1 billion USD.

I would list Globacom as more telecommunication than information technology. I'm referring to businesses that program and develop software.
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ayekotoo(m): 7:14pm On Oct 19, 2015
It baffles me when some people would just wake up one day and start to beat their chests over nothing.
Yorubas control the pay TV sub sector
Yorubas control the free to air sub sector
Yorubas dominate the radio sector
Yorubas dominate the mobile tech et all

7 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ayekotoo(m): 7:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

I would list Globacom as more telecommunication than information technology. I'm referring to businesses that program and develop software.
Telecommunication is one of the attributes of ICT. Same as satellite television, frequency modulation etc

3 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ciscogod(m): 7:32pm On Oct 19, 2015
My submission will be personal.

When I was in india for ICT training. I can tell u authoritatively if we have 20 nigerians in class, 15 will be yoruba , and out of the 20 nigerians, 17 of them reside in lagos.

And when it comes to nigeria university student that u mostly find in india. I will give it to uni ilorin student. Their ex students are really feeding them with good information. U can find 10 of them staying in a flat, just to study

We have igbos also, but u find them in Mumbai, they are into trade. And also cargo of goods. Majority business sha.

I did not meet an hausa/fulani all through my stay.

18 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ciscogod:
My submission will be personal.

When I was in india for ICT training. I can tell u authoritatively if we have 20 nigerians in class, 15 will be yoruba , and out of the 20 nigerians, 17 of them reside in lagos.

And when it comes to nigeria university student that u mostly find in india. I will give it to uni ilorin student. Their ex students are really feeding them with good information. U can find 10 of them staying in a flat, just to study

We have igbos also, but u find them in Mumbai, they are into trade. And also cargo of goods. Majority business sha.

I did not meet an hausa/fulani all through my stay.
boss please I will like to make some enquiry about IT schools in Indian. Pleaseeee

1 Like

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ciscogod(m): 7:36pm On Oct 19, 2015
yemibayo:
boss please I will like to make some enquiry about IT schools in Indian. Pleaseeee

You free bro.

I studied in Hyderabad.

You can only go to Hyderabad or Bangalore to achieve your great dreams in ICT. Thats if u choose india

2 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by EdCure: 7:39pm On Oct 19, 2015
ba7man:
Please carry your disease go one side and let sensible people discuss in peace.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ciscogod:

You free bro.

I studied in Hyderabad.

You can only go to Hyderabad or Bangalore to achieve your great dreams in ICT. Thats if u choose india
7ba4a7de is my bbm pin. I will like to have a detailed discussion with u Sir.
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ciscogod:

You free bro.

I studied in Hyderabad.

7ba4a7de is my bbm pin.I will love to have a long discussion with u if you don't mind Sir?
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by basilo101: 7:48pm On Oct 19, 2015
Igbos are traders, we dont care what yorubas dominate but when it comes to trading just leave it to us. stop trying to use iyaloja or Deji or demolition to blackmail us, cary ur ICT expertise to east the way we carried trading to ur doorsteps.

3 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ciscogod(m): 7:51pm On Oct 19, 2015
yemibayo:
7ba4a7de is my bbm pin.I will love to have a long discussion with u if you don't mind Sir?

Just sent me mail., i dont really chat on social media until I'm less busy. But I can reply ur mail anytime
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ciscogod:

Just sent me mail. Jideosundare@gmail.com, i dont really chat on social media until I'm less busy. But I can reply ur mail anytime
okay boss. I will do that tomorrow. Thanks so much.
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ritchiee: 8:09pm On Oct 19, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Scholes0 and Ritchiee remember I said this some months back and someone said I was exaggerating.Everytime I check for the latest Nigerian startups,7 out of 10 are yoruba-owned
It is an unclad fact...

1 Like

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Sweetguy25: 8:10pm On Oct 19, 2015
Yoruba's actually dominate the private formal sector in Nigeria before the Igbos and then the Hausa/Fulanis. Their domination has to do with their "ownership" of Lagos and partly due to their education(maybe).
On ICT, apart from CWG and Iroko, I don't know much of any other "big" indigineous ICT firm founded or owned by an Igbo.

Please this is a benign comment. I don't expect any backlash from anybody because of this comment.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by mekaboy(m): 8:12pm On Oct 19, 2015
Yes the yorubas have taken over the world. Happy now?
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by OBAGADAFFI: 8:13pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

What about Mainone.
CCHUB

2 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by OBAGADAFFI: 8:14pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

What about Mainone, CCHUB and co.
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by mekaboy(m): 8:15pm On Oct 19, 2015
Sweetguy25:
Yoruba's actually dominate the private formal sector in Nigeria before the Igbos and then the Hausa/Fulanis. Their domination has to do with their "ownership" of Lagos and partly due to their education(maybe).
On ICT, apart from CWG and Iroko, I don't know much of any other "big" indigineous ICT firm founded or owned by an Igbo.

Please this is a benign comment. I don't expect any backlash from anybody because of this comment.

U could mention wakanow and google who made joberman what it is today.
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by OBAGADAFFI: 8:26pm On Oct 19, 2015
Computer village is a typical example in Nigeria ICT structure.

In Computer village when its about sale of product local or imported you the Igbos dominate.
But in-terms of services (repair, installation, unlocking and flashing, web design, software installation, consultancy) etc. the Yoruba dominate those areas.

7 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by seunny4lif(m): 8:35pm On Oct 19, 2015
[b][/b]
OBAGADAFFI:

In Computer village when its about sale of product local or imported you the Igbos dominate.
But in-terms of services (repair, installation, unlocking and flashing, web design, software installation, consultancy) etc. the Yoruba dominate those areas.

Even in Germany here, Ibo are going for business while Yoruba most are going for study cheesy cool
Even in Akure the Computer engineering and other thing about the computer is done by the Yoruba while Igbo dey sale the computer....

4 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ofodirinwa: 8:42pm On Oct 19, 2015
OBAGADAFFI:

What about Mainone, CCHUB and co.

Both of those count, neither are billion dollar companies though
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by fistonati(m): 8:47pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:
It appears that within Nigeria yes, though international the playing field is more leveled.

Nigerian Entrepreneur Chinedu Echeruo Sells His ‘HopStop’ app to Apple for $1 billion

I don't believe the entire Nigerian (indigenous) IT industry with worth up to $1 billion USD combined

Don't say dt pls, an application can be sold for any amount depends on who is bidding and wen its bided. You can sell an app to d military as long as its gonna expand, improve and by using it (further) can curtail its enemies.

Nairaland can be sold for any amount as long as u know ur targets and projections.

1 Like

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by kettykin: 8:53pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ayekotoo:
It baffles me when some people would just wake up one day and start to beat their chests over nothing.
Yorubas control the pay TV sub sector
Yorubas control the free to air sub sector
Yorubas dominate the radio sector
Yorubas dominate the mobile tech et all

Please which are the TV sub sectors

Radio stations are all in the whole states. Mobile tech is not domiciled in nigeria
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Ofodirinwa: 9:01pm On Oct 19, 2015
Sweetguy25:

I think Igbo people are more likely to move abroad and start their company there than in Nigeria. The returners are higher, intellectual property is respected, and capital is easier to come by. It should be considered that most rich igbos are first generation wealthy due to the civil war. These companies are typically started by second generation people that are wealthy. Most of these companies are started by individuals with rich fathers and grandfathers. Where as an Igbo starter will be more likely to go to the US where venture capital is the means of raising money for an IT firm, not parents.

The average poor Nigerian of any tribe won't think to go in to IT because the odds of them growing up around or with it are low to non-existent. I think Igbos will close the gap in 20 to 15 years because the generational advantage will be lost. I firmly believe there are more rich to middle class Igbo people in Nigeria and world wide than any other tribe and their children are growing up around It.

That being said a lot of IT companies in Nigeria are Igbo, but like the Yoruba ones they're usually through the children of the rich and usually from people that have lived abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by OBAGADAFFI: 9:14pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

Both of those count, neither are billion dollar companies though

You must be joking.

Mainone got undersea cables from Europe to Africa and you claim its not billion dollars company.

CCHUB has incubated lots of start-up companies, with funding from Google, Microsoft,MTN Intel e.tc.

Yet claim its not a billion dollars company.

Your probably don't know anything about Nigeria ICT environment.

9 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by OBAGADAFFI: 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2015
seunny4lif:
[b][/b]

Even in Germany here, Ibo are going for business while Yoruba most are going for study cheesy cool
Even in Akure the Computer engineering and other thing about the computer is done by the Yoruba while Igbo dey sale the computer....

Yes I have also noticed that in Building and construction industry, automobile industry and electrical and electronics industries.

While the Igbos dominate the sales in these industries,, the Yorubas dominate the service aspects.

Visit Ladipo and Alaba you will easily find Yorubas mechanics and technicians everywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Eziokwu1: 9:37pm On Oct 19, 2015
OBAGADAFFI:

I love the partnership.
It takes two hands to make the fingers clean.

6 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by VirginFinder: 9:41pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:
It appears that within Nigeria yes, though international the playing field is more leveled.

Nigerian Entrepreneur Chinedu Echeruo Sells His ‘HopStop’ app to Apple for $1 billion

I don't believe the entire Nigerian (indigenous) IT industry with worth up to $1 billion USD combined

Nowhere was $1billion mentioned in the post you quoted.
You must be deluded!

2 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Rossikk(m): 9:46pm On Oct 19, 2015
It's the Lagos factor. Same reason they dominate banking and finance etc. The major companies in these fields are based in Lagos, not in Enugu, Aba or Jos.

5 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by OBAGADAFFI: 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2015
Eziokwu1:

I love the partnership.
It takes two hands to make the fingers clean.

That's why all these tribal noise you hear on NL are fake.

If you return a faulty computer you got from an Igbo man, he will take it to his Yoruba neighbor for fixing and it will be fixed Sharp Sharp.

6 Likes

Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 19, 2015
well we don't like blowing our trumpet.
Re: Have Yorubas Cornered Nigeria's ICT Sector? by Eziokwu1: 9:58pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

I think Igbo people are more likely to move abroad and start their company there than in Nigeria. The returners are higher, intellectual property is respected, and capital is easier to come by. It should be considered that most rich igbos are first generation wealthy due to the civil war. These companies are typically started by second generation people that are wealthy. Most of these companies are started by individuals with rich fathers and grandfathers. Where as an Igbo starter will be more likely to go to the US where venture capital is the means of raising money for an IT firm, not parents.

The average poor Nigerian of any tribe won't think to go in to IT because the odds of them growing up around or with it are low to non-existent. I think Igbos will close the gap in 20 to 15 years because the generational advantage will be lost. I firmly believe there are more rich to middle class Igbo people in Nigeria and world wide than any other tribe and their children are growing up around It.

That being said a lot of IT companies in Nigeria are Igbo, but like the Yoruba ones they're usually through the children of the rich and usually from people that have lived abroad.

Mr Ofodiri, Yes you are right when you say most IT Companies in Nigeria are stated by the "opportuned class" and children of these people, but most of them have roots within Nigeria, not outside.
If it becomes a "culture" over time to domicile in certain ventures among a group, then it might become hard to "break in" in future. Connections and networks will become established , family businesses akin to the Chaebols/wealth properties of South Korea will form. It will become like caste in trade. look at retail/trade in Nigerian towns, that Igbos started venturing into in large numbers from the 70's onwards we have virtually dominated it, and it might be hard for any other group of people to compete with us in the above mentioned- you get the drift?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NASS Will Not Support The Creation Of Grazing Reserves–ekweremadu / Malabu Oil Scam: UK Court Repatriates $73m To FG / Nigerian Economy Is On The Right Track - IMF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.