Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,621 members, 7,840,477 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. (782 Views)

Remembering Dele Giwa: 30 Years After His Assassination / IBB Opens Up On Dele Giwa's Death & 159 Officers On Crashed Plane / Ugbekpe-ekperi: Remembering Dele Giwa 29 Years After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by kilonso001(m): 7:38am On Oct 19, 2015
Today makes it 29 years after the gruesome murder of one of Nigeria's prolific journalist, Sumonu Oladele Giwa.
Dele Giwa as he was fondly called was born on 16 March 1947 to a poor family working in the palace of Oba Adesoji Aderemi, the Ooni of Ife. He attended local Authority Modern School in Lagere, Ile-lfe. When his father moved to Oduduwa College, Ile-Ife as a laundry man, he gained admission to that school. Dele Giwa travelled to the USA for his higher education, earning a BA in English from Brooklyn College in 1977 and enrolled for a Graduate program at Fordham University. He worked with the New York Times as a news assistant for four years after which he relocated to Nigeria to work with Daily Times.

Dele Giwa was killed by a mail bomb in his Lagos home on 19 October 1986 while with his friend Kayode Soyinka. So many stories sprung up after his death on who killed him and why he was killed. One of such stories was his link to Gloria Okon, a lady who was arrested in 1985 for Drug related offenses and who was said to have links to General Babangida's wife. Gloria Okon was said to have died in Detention but a couple of months after, Dele Giwa ran into her in London and she poured out her story to him. It was said that the Government got to know of the meetng and decided to wipe out Giwa as that remained the only way to keep him off their tracks.

Lets Celebrate one of Nigeria's finest journalist who was murdered in cold blood. RIP Dele Giwa.

Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by buzquet(m): 7:40am On Oct 19, 2015
Wetin concern? Dem Neva born me day time na
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by RemyMartins(m): 7:44am On Oct 19, 2015
RIP Btw the person above me is a bunkum

1 Like

Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by Mologi(m): 7:48am On Oct 19, 2015
Continue to rest well sir!
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by oloyedayo(m): 7:56am On Oct 19, 2015
29 years after and the killers are yet to be unraveled. This country is truly a sham.
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by trapQ: 7:56am On Oct 19, 2015
he was obviously murdered so as to cover their tracks
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by trapQ: 7:56am On Oct 19, 2015
he was obviously murdered so as to cover their tracks. bloody politicians
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by kelch19(m): 8:02am On Oct 19, 2015
Is dele giwa a nigerian?
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by kestolove95(m): 8:05am On Oct 19, 2015
IBB has killed many people o
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by ikorodureporta: 8:29am On Oct 19, 2015
Reminds me of dat song: In-Nigeria,-west- africa- there- was- sometin -terrible......

One of d reports by SaharaReporters said d letter bomb was delivered by Buba Marwa...

++The assassination occurred two days after he had been interviewed by the state security service (sss) officials.

Dele Giwa and fellow journalists, Ray Ekpu, Dan Agbese, & Yakubu Mohammed founded Newswatch magazine in 1984.

He married an American nurse in 1974. His second marriage to Florence Ita-Giwa lasted 10months. He later married Olufunmilayo on 10th July 1984, & they were married until his death...
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by adeokunade: 8:39am On Oct 19, 2015
buzquet:
Lols, how old are you? Hope you have been born when MKO and Bola Ige were mudererd
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:39am On Oct 19, 2015
I remember watching Gani Fawehinmi during the Oputa Panel, with tears in his, screeming that Babangida killed Dele Giwa.
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by kilonso001(m): 3:03pm On Oct 19, 2015
That doesnt mean you should forget your history. I was quite young also and never knew him well, but news of his death made headlines for a very long time.

buzquet:
Re: Remembering Dele Giwa. 29 Years After. by kilonso001(m): 3:03pm On Oct 19, 2015
Yes he is.
kelch19:
Is dele giwa a nigerian?

(1) (Reply)

President Robert Mugabe Wins Chinese Nobel Peace Prize, Beats Bill Gates, Others / Akwa Ibom State Governorship Rerun: Tribunal Might Have Compromised / Is Police Truly Our Friends: The Wickedness Of Tijani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.