Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,564 members, 7,850,933 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:03 AM

Is Our Tradition Still Working? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Our Tradition Still Working? (749 Views)

Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? / Meet The Woman Whose 15 Children Were Fed To Hungry Crocodiles Over Tradition / Yoruba Tradition Is Killing My Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Our Tradition Still Working? by zealdrive: 3:17pm On May 01, 2009
The "Traditional" way of married life is not the same as it used to be. Women work now, and they can make more than their husbands. Also, men can take care of the house. "Traditionally" speaking this is "wrong", but the way society is now makes this a norm or at least "okay". The thing is that this causes problems sometimes.

How will you describe a great marriage and what is the way forward?
Re: Is Our Tradition Still Working? by Fhemmmy: 3:23pm On May 01, 2009
Na wa oh.
Another chicken infested brain post.

Please tell me how a woman working has caused wahala?
Tell me how the woman making more than the man is a problem?
Tell me how the man helping with house work is trouble?

I think sometimes, men just like to define his role based on what is btw his legs and that is total nonsense, no one is a slave for the other.
The woman work and bring home money and the man works, and they both take care of their household, what is bad in all that, if you dont like the idea of your wife making more money than you, get 2 jobs and your combined income might do it, nonsense, when other people are planning together to see their life better, you are here talking about problem cos the woman is making more.
My guy time has changed, be happy and enjoy
Re: Is Our Tradition Still Working? by vicmac: 3:14pm On May 04, 2009
Na wa oh.
Another chicken infested brain post.

Please tell me how a woman working has caused wahala?
Tell me how the woman making more than the man is a problem?
Tell me how the man helping with house work is trouble?

I think sometimes, men just like to define his role based on what is btw his legs and that is total nonsense, no one is a slave for the other.
The woman work and bring home money and the man works, and they both take care of their household, what is bad in all that, if you dont like the idea of your wife making more money than you, get 2 jobs and your combined income might do it, nonsense, when other people are planning together to see their life better, you are here talking about problem cos the woman is making more.
My guy time has changed, be happy and enjoy

I guess ur reply was so personal when the post is supposed to be treated.
Well, the first and best step is through education. Both of you need to educate yourselves about situations like this.
Education is the KEY! Educate yourself about your marriage and your spouse. Also, it is very important to educate yourself ABOUT YOURSELF! Not only try to find out what interests your spouse but spend time on yourself! Have fun with your spouse! Do things that he/she likes to do and invite he/she to do things you love to do!
Re: Is Our Tradition Still Working? by Outstrip(f): 2:29am On May 05, 2009
Nigerian tradition when it comes to marriage is at best stupid. I say every marriage is different. Do whatever works for you. Don't look at how others are doing it. Look at each other and plan your life accordingly. I believe in working too as a woman but even I have to admit that I wish that I was not gone working so much when my babies were very young. I wish had worked part time or not worked outside the home at all. I cannot get those months/years back
Re: Is Our Tradition Still Working? by ifyalways(f): 5:06am On May 05, 2009
zealdrive:

The "Traditional" way of married life is not the same as it used to be. Women work now, and they can make more than their husbands. Also, men can take care of the house. "Traditionally" speaking this is "wrong", but the way society is now makes this a norm or at least "okay". The thing is that this causes problems sometimes.

How will you describe a great marriage and what is the way forward?

are u saying that then,women dont work shocked
Marriage is not static,there are no permanent laid down rules that are suppossed to work for everybody. . .each man to his own.

(1) (Reply)

Church Marraige/registry Before Native Law It Is Right / Can A Jehova Witness Girl Gets Married Outside: / Why Women Are Always Mad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.