Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,840 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: (74434 Views)

The Nigerian Army Attack On Biafra: Its Mixed Feelings For Us. / Photo: The Man Who Suggested The Name "BIAFRA" / How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by theDEVILisHERE: 7:25am On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

How can such a document be so hard to procure? It's utter nonsense and you'd be better using this time to research actual Igbo history.

This not about igbo history
This is about Biafra
Biafra ie: Igbo, Ibibio (ibibio/efik), Izon (aka ijaw), Isoko, Isobo (aka urobo), itshekiri, igala, igede and Igbanke (take note of the "I" initials in all of them)

Can't really tell you where exactly you can verify that information now
But like I said
Do some research if you want to really find the truth
Don't just wave this information aside

You have to also note that there are lots of info on Biafra the British has hidden away from the public
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ArodeTsolaye: 7:42am On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:
[size=18pt]A load of sh[/size][size=18pt]it. Stop the Jew worship.[/size]

What a useless pile of garbage. This is why I don't like this sourceless, baseless name Biafra. Nobody know the meaning of the nonsense name and you must know nothing or a big liar if you think anyone was calling themselves "Biafara" before 1967. I won't even address the Judeo-Christian nonsense because that can not be cured with an internet post.

Some of you are simply demented, even when slapped with common sense, you still vow to voluntary remain intellectual paraplegics. Forget about the existence or non-existence of 'Jew origin'. Was there a Biafra (as recorded by european explorers) before the word Niggeria came into existence? Yes or No!
Yes! and you call it 'nonsense name'? If You prefer "Nigger area" name given to you by a slut named flora shaw? You are sick in the head ....Sir!

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 21, 2015
this is it

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 21, 2015
Beesluv:
I used to think Biafra means war because of that film "biafran war"

Please don't joke with what a man hold sacred, that is a path to the making of war.
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 10:45am On Oct 21, 2015
Biafra isn't an Igbo word nor coin from Igbo language, it's of Portuguese origin dating back to the 15th century, in fact, in present day Portugal, there's a town named Biafra. The word Biafra was taken from the Bight of Biafra, renamed Bight of Bonny by Federal Government after the Biafran Nigerian War to obliterate Biafra from Nigerians' conscienceness.
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 10:50am On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

What a useless pile of garbage. This is why I don't like this sourceless, baseless name Biafra. Nobody know the meaning of the nonsense name and you must know nothing or a big liar if you think anyone was calling themselves "Biafara" before 1967. I won't even address the Judeo-Christian nonsense because that can not be cured with an internet post.

Biafra isn't an Igbo word nor
coin from Igbo language, it's of Portuguese origin
dating back to the 15th century, in fact, in present day
Portugal, there's a town named Biafra. The word
Biafra was taken from the Bight of Biafra, renamed
Bight of Bonny by Federal Government after the
Biafran Nigerian War to obliterate Biafra from
Nigerians' conscienceness.
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 21, 2015
Zinicc:

I used to know you are a whor.e. wink
Many are mad but few are roaming. zinicc is mad and zinicc is roaming ......

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 12:55pm On Oct 21, 2015
lalasticlala plz do the needy ..
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Beesluv: 1:16pm On Oct 21, 2015
Rukemi291:

Many are mad but few are roaming. zinicc is mad and zinicc is roaming ......

Confirmed, if not he wouldn't be using such words anyhow. Anyway it tells of one's background. Nigerians are peaceful
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 1:26pm On Oct 21, 2015
theDEVILisHERE:

This not about igbo history
This is about Biafra
Biafra ie: Igbo, Ibibio (ibibio/efik), Izon (aka ijaw), Isoko, Isobo (aka urobo), itshekiri, igala, igede and Igbanke (take note of the "I" initials in all of them)

Can't really tell you where exactly you can verify that information now
But like I said
Do some research if you want to really find the truth
Don't just wave this information aside

You have to also note that there are lots of info on Biafra the British has hidden away from the public

So what if they start with I? Ijebu starts with I are they Biafra? There are no documents hidden away by Britain. You do know the Itsekiri language has been classed as Yoruba? Have you ever heard the Igala language?

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 1:34pm On Oct 21, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

Some of you are simply demented, even when slapped with common sense, you still vow to voluntary remain intellectual paraplegics. Forget about the existence or non-existence of 'Jew origin'. Was there a Biafra (as recorded by european explorers) before the word Niggeria came into existence? Yes or No!
Yes! and you call it 'nonsense name'? If You prefer "Nigger area" name given to you by a slut named flora shaw? You are sick in the head ....Sir!

Guy, Europeans named your area of Africa 'Biafra' to make it easier to find the kind of slaves they were looking for, just like they named a certain part the Windward Coast, another the Ivory Coast, and another the Gold Coast, so you should look for the European who gave you the name you're trying to link to some far fetched biblical origin. Missionaries really messed with Africans heads. Nobody in your family before 1960 was calling themselves Biafran, right or wrong? If there was truly an "Ancient Biafra", then why isn't there any record of Igbo or other so called "Biafrans" calling themselves Biafara citizens or the like before 1900? Do please tell me where the capital of Biafra was and who its leaders/kings and government was before 1900. Also, why do the "Biafrans" speak completely different classes of languages like Yoruboid, Edoid, Igboid and Cross River classed languages and have completely separate cultures like that of the Ibibio and Itsekiri for example?

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 1:45pm On Oct 21, 2015
Anseth:

Biafra isn't an Igbo word nor
coin from Igbo language, it's of Portuguese origin
dating back to the 15th century, in fact, in present day
Portugal, there's a town named Biafra. The word
Biafra was taken from the Bight of Biafra, renamed
Bight of Bonny by Federal Government after the
Biafran Nigerian War to obliterate Biafra from
Nigerians' conscienceness.

Biafra is not a Portuguese words, it's probably a corruption of a town name in Cameroon. There is no Portuguese village named Biafra.

2 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 2:10pm On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

Biafra is not a Portuguese words, it's probably a corruption of a town name in Cameroon. There is no Portuguese village named Biafra.

It seems you too much of the Igbo/ Biafra history / tradition right? .so tell me what is your anger about the origin of Biafra or the Igbo as a race/tribe? I see you either don't know it or you choose to antagonise anybody that provides Information..saying it might be a corruption of a town in Cameroon confirms you have a deep hatred for the Igbos.
let me burst your bubble bro.. my last comment above is confirmed and authentic.. maybe you read another history journals fabricated from the pit of falsehood ..
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 2:40pm On Oct 21, 2015
Anseth:

It seems you too much of the Igbo/ Biafra history / tradition right? .so tell me what is your anger about the origin of Biafra or the Igbo as a race/tribe? I see you either don't know it or you choose to antagonise anybody that provides Information..saying it might be a corruption of a town in Cameroon confirms you have a deep hatred for the Igbos.
let me burst your bubble bro.. my last comment above is confirmed and authentic.. maybe you read another history journals fabricated from the pit of falsehood ..

Show me the Portuguese village. I'm simply trying to tell you people that the word Biafra is a corruption of town names in Cameroon which the Europeans used to name the coast. There is not Portuguese village known as Biafra. Now people are trying to put a biblical spin on it.

2 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 2:48pm On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

Show me the Portuguese village. I'm simply trying to tell you people that the word Biafra is a corruption of town names in Cameroon which the Europeans used to name the coast. There is not Portuguese village known as Biafra. Now people are trying to put a biblical spin on it.

Nobody is putting biblical spin on anything.. you choose to see it only from your one way direction.. ask yourself was there a place called " Bight Of Biafra" before 1960 ? now called Bight Of Bonny after the civil war .. where ever the name hails from is not as important as it is name we are known for.. it has been existing before the civil war..
Your ego is just driving you wild bro.. calm down..take a chill pill and watch as the country BIAFRA unfolds its self..
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by tpiander: 2:56pm On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

it's most likely origin is Portuguese, from Biafara, Biafar or Biafare

2 Likes

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by tpiander: 2:58pm On Oct 21, 2015
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 3:43pm On Oct 21, 2015
tpiander:

it's most likely origin is Portuguese, from Biafara, Biafar or Biafare

And what does that mean in Portuguese? Or where in Portugal is that village?

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2015
Anseth:

Nobody is putting biblical spin on anything.. you choose to see it only from your one way direction.. ask yourself was there a place called " Bight Of Biafra" before 1960 ? now called Bight Of Bonny after the civil war .. where ever the name hails from is not as important as it is name we are known for.. it has been existing before the civil war..
Your ego is just driving you wild bro.. calm down..take a chill pill and watch as the country BIAFRA unfolds its self..

Please answer this question nobody has answered: Were your great ancestors before 1900 calling themselves Biafrans or something of the like? What was the capital of Biafra in say the year 1700? who was the first king/president/prime minister of Biafra?

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 4:17pm On Oct 21, 2015
ezeagu:

Please answer this question nobody has answered: Were your great ancestors before 1900 calling themselves Biafrans or something of the like? What was the capital of Biafra in say the year 1700? who was the first king/president/prime minister of Biafra?

Stop hating bro... am kinda busy at the moment...will reply your comment later
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by ezeagu(m): 4:17pm On Oct 21, 2015
Anseth:

Stop hating bro... am kinda busy at the moment...will reply your comment later

And what am I hating on?

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by jpphilips(m): 5:11pm On Oct 21, 2015
Tweaking history to suit the imbecilic marauders who abandoned education for petty trading, why not show us copies of the so called Biafran maps that existed in the 17th century.
Ojukwu went to Oxford and came back with sweet tongue to finish our fathers, even though the likes of Zik saw through his lies, unfortunately, there were very few Ziks that lent their voice at the time.
Today a con artist Nnamdi Kanu is driving his message with frequent photoshops and historical concoctions, let me give you guys an advise, if Ibos really need Biafra, they need not be confused convinced to accept it.
Every Ibo person would have started his or her own individual Biafran movement, I rest my case. nobody led the Igbos to the four cardinal points of the world.
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Anseth(m): 6:16am On Oct 22, 2015
Someone inbox me this claims below

I will advise you search and Read the Book "Lets Biafra" as your Submission here is Contrary. Literally the Word Biafra was coinned from the Umuahia ibo dialect"Bia Fra' which Means "Come lets Leave"
This Statement spurred when the ibos were been
Killed carelessly in the North in the early Stage of the
disagreement between Col . Ojukwu and Gen.Yakubu
Gowan. Because of this constant barbaric Killings of
the Ibos, this Acronym "Biafra" become a Common
slogan amongst the which literally Translates to
"COME LETS LEAVE FOR HOME" Home here,
Meaning back to the Eastern Region of this Country
since they were No Longer Safe in the Northern and
Southern Regions.
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Menace2Society(m): 6:51am On Oct 22, 2015
Zinicc:

Are you crazy or you are practising?
U should be ashamed of yourself weakling undecided
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2015
Menace2Society:
U should be ashamed of yourself weakling undecided

I wanted to answer you, but your moniker says it all...
I guess by now you are through with your dirty mammy, you sister has squeezed her urgly and dirty, tiger razor bladed face because she knows her faith tonight..Yourbastard!

***God will burn down that tent you call house one day due to your atrocities inside it or one day your family will linch you***

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Menace2Society(m): 10:02pm On Oct 23, 2015
Zinicc:

I wanted to answer you, but your moniker says it all...
I guess by now you are through with your dirty mammy, you sister has squeezed her urgly and dirty, tiger razor bladed face because she knows her faith tonight..Yourbastard!

***God will burn down that tent you call house one day due to your atrocities inside it or one day your family will linch you***
Now you can take your meds and go back to bed grin

1 Like

Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Nobody: 10:10pm On Oct 23, 2015
Menace2Society:
Now you can take your meds and go back to bed grin

thanks for acknowledging that I have a bed....
I like people like you who understand their faith in this world....

Just let your mammy and sister rest tonight...remember its the floor you are on.
They will surely lynch you...you think its funny, the abomination you are committing. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Menace2Society(m): 11:54pm On Oct 23, 2015
Zinicc:

thanks for acknowledging that I have a bed....
I like people like you who understand their faith in this world....

Just let your mammy and sister rest tonight...remember its the floor you are on.
They will surely lynch you...you think its funny, the abomination you are committing. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
LMAO grin maggot feeling funky.
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by dynamicone38: 10:47am On Mar 24, 2016
ezeagu:

[color=#000099][quote author=ezeagu post=39186220][size=18pt]A load of sh[/size][size=18pt]it. Stop the Jew worship.[/size]

What a useless pile of garbage. This is why I don't like this sourceless, baseless name Biafra. Nobody know the meaning of the nonsense name and you must know nothing or a big liar if you think anyone was calling themselves "Biafara" before 1967. I WILL NOT HAVE TO INSULT YOU BUT I WANT GLANCE THROUGH THIS http://www.presbyterianchurchng.com/dynamicpage.aspx?pageid=id
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by dynamicone38: 10:56am On Mar 24, 2016
[quote author=ezeagu post=39204586]

Guy, Europeans named your area of Africa 'Biafra' to make it easier to find the kind of slaves they were looking for, just like they named a certain part the Windward Coast, another the Ivory Coast, and another the Gold Coast, so you should look for the European who gave you the name you're trying to link to some far fetched biblical origin. Missionaries really messed with Africans heads. Nobody in your family before 1960 was calling themselves Biafran, right or wrong? If there was truly an "Ancient Biafra", then why isn't there any record of Igbo or other so called "Biafrans" calling themselves Biafara citizens or the like before 1900? Do please tell me where the capital of Biafra was and who its leaders/kings and government was before 1900. Also, why do the "Biafrans" speak completely different classes of languages like Yoruboid, Edoid, Igboid and Cross River languages PLEASE MR READ THESE CAREFULLY http://www.presbyterianchurchng.com/dynamicpage.aspx?pageid=21
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by odiaselaw(m): 10:53am On Jan 04, 2017
[quote author=ezeagu post=39186220][size=18pt]A load of sh[/size][size=18pt]it. Stop the Jew worship.[/size]

What a useless pile of garbage. This is why I don't like this sourceless, baseless name Biafra. Nobody know the meaning of the nonsense name and you must know nothing or a big liar if you think anyone was calling themselves "Biafara" before 1967. I won't even address the Judeo-Christian nonsense because that can not be cured with an internet post.[/quoteThe word Biafra most likely derives from the subgroup Biafar or Biafada[46] of the Tenda ethnic group who reside primarily in Guinea-Bissau.[47] Manuel Álvares (1526–1583), a Portuguese Jesuit educator, in his work Ethiopia Minor and a geographical account of the Province of Sierra Leone,[48] writes about the "Biafar heathen" in chapter 13 of the same book.[49] The word Biafar thus appears to have been a common word in the Portuguese language back in the 16th century.

Historical maps Edit
Early modern maps of Africa from the 15th–19th centuries, drawn by European cartographers from accounts written by explorers and travellers, reveal some information about Biafra:

The original word used by the European travellers was not Biafra but Biafara,[50][51] Biafar[52] and sometimes also Biafares.[53]
The exact original region of Biafra is not restricted to Eastern Nigeria alone. According to the maps, the European travellers used the word Biafara to describe the entire region east of River Niger going down to the Mount Cameroon region, thus including Cameroon and a large area around Gabon.The Bight of Biafra lies in the present South-South Region of Nigeria and was renamed to Bight of Bonny by the Nigerian Government. The word Biafara also appears on maps from the 18th century in the area around Gambia.[54]

French map of the Gulf of Guinea from 1849
Maps indicating the word Biafara (sometimes also Biafares or Biafar) with corresponding year:

Maps from the 19th century indicating Biafra as the region around today's Cameroon:

Additional maps from the Michigan State University Map Collection
Re: The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: by Efikson1(m): 9:50am On Feb 09, 2017
ezeagu:

Guy, Europeans named your area of Africa 'Biafra' to make it easier to find the kind of slaves they were looking for, just like they named a certain part the Windward Coast, another the Ivory Coast, and another the Gold Coast, so you should look for the European who gave you the name you're trying to link to some far fetched biblical origin. Missionaries really messed with Africans heads. Nobody in your family before 1960 was calling themselves Biafran, right or wrong? If there was truly an "Ancient Biafra", then why isn't there any record of Igbo or other so called "Biafrans" calling themselves Biafara citizens or the like before 1900? Do please tell me where the capital of Biafra was and who its leaders/kings and government was before 1900. Also, why do the "Biafrans" speak completely different classes of languages like Yoruboid, Edoid, Igboid and Cross River classed languages and have completely separate cultures like that of the Ibibio and Itsekiri for example?
you have investigate before you make any quote i am a Cross Riverian so i know much about me and my people i don't have much to say though but I'll like you study these web vary carefully at list you'll get to the know that Calabar was Biafra's capital territory and it was been ruled by its Kings http://www.presbyterianchurchng.com/DynamicPage.aspx?pageid=21

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Professor Osibanjo Right With This? (PICS) / The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / Peter Obi Pops Champagne As Atiku Picks Him As Running Mate. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.