Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,611 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? (46012 Views)

Yakubu Gowon And His Wife, Victoria In 1969 (Throwback Photo ) / Gowon Shakes Hands With Trudeau..in 1973 / Yakubu Gowon Shaking Hands With, Justin Trudeau Current Canadian Prime Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Seanjigga: 5:33pm On Oct 21, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

The zoo called nigeria is a damned damnation. An irredemable cesspit, I won't be surprised if the same gowon shamelessly comes out to contest for presidency in 2023. The zoo is cursed and must disintegrate for its occupiers to survive and progress.

Why not leave the zoo and go to Paradise? Dem glue you for here ?

3 Likes

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by zonax(m): 5:34pm On Oct 21, 2015
Ilekeh:
Was this a democratic movement? Why is the son of a prime minister now a prime minister?

I sense nepotism.

He contested and won and became PM.
George Bush was president even though his dad had been president and that's America the most democratic nation on earth.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by UjSizzle(f): 5:35pm On Oct 21, 2015
kolemm:
@Poster - if the picture was taken in 1973, then how come he is 42 this year.
It's either the picture is wrong or the age is wrong.
Lol grin good point.

2 Likes

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by kissangel1: 5:36pm On Oct 21, 2015
On a honest note, it's not even funny anymore. Can't these folks even retire and take a rest. How can they hold our country to ransom and virtually mop up all our resources.

I wonder how greedy and possessive our leaders are. It's rather becoming very appalling, distasteful, repugnant, demoralising, disgusting, pitiful , nasty and demoralising.

Can't they just leave the political space. They have sold and bought Nigeria. Shame
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by otokx(m): 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2015
Its not by age, that is the beauty of Democracy.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by eliwa47(m): 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2015
Answer the question for yourself, long hiss!
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by alaoeri: 5:38pm On Oct 21, 2015
ghostfinger67:

Are these the best the youth got today. there are many more who can deliver where these ones failed. Nigeria is not about sixty years old men. these people have done their best and it has done us more harm than good. Let's have a deep reflection. SHY NA SO WE GO DEY GO?. If PMB, can hand over the main determinate factor of our electorate system to a man that has a case in court. Oma. make we dey reason this things nii.
Where are the many more? You can't sit down at the comfort of your home and expect to be appointed, is either you join a political party actively or you will be sidelined, Garba Sheu & Adesina are reaping the fruits of their labour, the era of appointing someone from Harvard university is over, join a political party and stop complaining.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by DavidEsq(m): 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2015
While I strongly commend and recommend the presence of youths in the corridors of power(political leadership) and public administration, I would strongly assert that the present crop of Nigerian youths are far from the wanted or desirable crop or stock to assume the mantle of leadership or sensitive positions in this country. One need not strain the eyes to know this fact. Take for instance, the prevalent blunder in the use of simple English, among us; Gosh!!!!!! Its terrible and it has become so damned entrenched with the "nobody is perfect" state of mind, which has put us far from the basic requirement of standard communication; use of simple and correct English language. Then spotlight issues of tribalism and religious sentiment among us; a bloody canker worm that we have continued to feed with our pitiable, parochial concept of leadership. Finally, our Student Union Government in the various universities, which is a unit of National leadership has turned itself a conduit pipe of self-aggrandisement, to cheat the students who voted them into their respective offices, to represent their collective and progressive interests. Even the so-called human rights/transparency activists are nothing but a crass clones and masquerades of corruption and attention mongers, seeking avenues to join the band wagon of political marauders. Chai!!!!! My hand and head don dey pain me!! The long and short of it is that we (yes I wouldn't exonerate myself) are far from the engine room of leadership, which would continue to elude us, until we decide to look beyond the circumference of our stomach.

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2015
moscobabs:
In the picture below was Gen. Gowon in 1973 shaking hands with baby Trudeau, son to the then Prime minister of Canada Elliot Trudeau.

Fast forward to 2015, that baby is now voted as the Prime Minister of Canada..

Meanwhile a country close to Niger republic voted Gowon's former colleague and age mate..

Without Sentiment, Let discuss .

Well....

1.The US election for 2016 has a lot of old people. On the Republican side, you have Trump who is 69, and Carson who is 63. On the Democrat side...Hilary Clinton is 69, Sanders is 74.

2.In the UK you have Cameron and co who are in their 40's (Theresa May , who is one of Cameron's potential sucessors is in her 50's).

3.Russia has Putin who is in his 60's.....and who is still going strong.

I guess the trobule with Africa is not age per se....rather it is our resource dependent economies.....which stifle development by encouraging us to import rather than become manufacturing economies

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by mbhs139(m): 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2015
ArodeTsolaye:

The zoo called Nigeria is a damned damnation. An irredeemable cesspit, I won't be surprised if the same gowon shamelessly comes out to contest for presidency in 2023. The zoo is cursed and must disintegrate for its occupiers to survive and progress.

It does not have to. You can take a hike to where ever, you are free.

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by dougivilla(m): 5:40pm On Oct 21, 2015
alaoeri:
Abeg the younger generations are not ready to rule, Dimeji Bankole, Farouk Lawan, FFK etc have been tested in which they all fumbled big time.
I guess the likes of OBJ, IBB, Atiku, Audu Ogbe, Tinubu, Anenih, Tom Ikimi, PMB, Ciroma, Elechi, etc are the saints that are ready and deserve to rule again and again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by anonimi: 5:41pm On Oct 21, 2015
Martins301:
Dude why did you conveniently skip 2011 or is your brain malfuntioning? You see why I said no need to hope in youths? Please if you know u are a hypocrite, don't quote me again.

If you had any brain at all, you would have simply provided the 2011 information that seem to be of interest to you, not so
Just the same way that someone who is interested in 1999, 2003 or 2007 could provide such information, abi?
Fight nor dey for church- na make you say prayer make I answer Amen. Finito!!!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2475420_ithinksayugetsense_jpeg4a767beb45a5d2d3e8d78d31d8018b7a
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 21, 2015
kissangel1:
On a honest note, it's not even funny anymore. Can't these folks even retire and take a rest. How can they hold our country to ransom and virtually mop up all our resources.

I wonder how greedy and possessive our leaders are. It's rather becoming very appalling, distasteful, repugnant, demoralising, disgusting, pitiful , nasty and demoralising.

Can't they just leave the political space. They have sold and bought Nigeria. Shame

You might as well tell Hilary Clinton, who is 69 and who is going to be the possible Democrat nominee for the 2016 election to step aside for the young. (Incidentally, most of her fellow contestants are in the same age range. You have to go to the Republican side to find guys in their 50's and 40's running for 2016).
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by dougivilla(m): 5:41pm On Oct 21, 2015
alaoeri:
Abeg the younger generations are not ready to rule, Dimeji Bankole, Farouk Lawan, FFK etc have been tested in which they all fumbled big time.
I guess the likes of OBJ, IBB, Atiku, Audu Ogbe, Tinubu, Anenih, Tom Ikimi, PMB, Ciroma, Elechi, etc are the saints that are ready and deserve to rule again and again
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:42pm On Oct 21, 2015
IzonOwei:
i am not talking about terms bro...i want an obj and buhari example...can george bush still rule america again...or if obama leaves the sit can he ever come back to rule america again...if you guys don't know nigeria has a fundamental problem we would remain stagnant forever...
What kind of question is that? Bush and Obama have reached the peak of their political career. Reagan was elected at 69. In about the same age, the VP, Joe Biden wants to contest.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by mbhs139(m): 5:43pm On Oct 21, 2015
kettykin:
So a 42 year old man is now the prime minister and head of government of one of the biggest economies in the world while some fraudsters with their change gimmicks has fooled Nigerians into electing a 70 year old ex military personnel to be their president .

Pray your brain and bones to still be functioning like that of Buhari by the time you are 70. Me doubt that anyway, because of the life style you are living now. Eeediot
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 21, 2015
Ilekeh:
Was this a democratic movement? Why is the son of a prime minister now a prime minister?

I sense nepotism.

Trudeau's dad was probably Canada's most popular PM of the 20th century.

Nostalgia methinks?

But then again....some of the other parties did badly....especially the party that used to be no 2.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by jeroton: 5:44pm On Oct 21, 2015
Every nation has the right to choose their leaders eighter young or old, Nigerian have decided who is best for them, remember its democracy, there are young presidential aspirants in last last election but age is not the issue.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Reference(m): 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2015
moscobabs:
In the picture below was Gen. Gowon in 1973 shaking hands with baby Trudeau, son to the then Prime minister of Canada Elliot Trudeau.

Fast forward to 2015, that baby is now voted as the Prime Minister of Canada..

Meanwhile a country close to Niger republic voted Gowon's former colleague and age mate..

Without Sentiment, Let discuss .

But the youth hail them. People support them. A country cannot rise higher than the quality of its citizens so....
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2015
Nigeria is in terms of political games played by politicians is moving forward, but in terms of putting her citizens first is moving backward.
Nigeria is lacking in infrastructure and basic amenities.
Oppression now the order of the day.
The Old don't want to retire and let the younger one show case their talent.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by sirkezman: 5:47pm On Oct 21, 2015
Gej had the chance to show us that the younger ones can do it.. we all know how it ended. NANS is another example of why we cant entrust our country to the youths.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by abdulaa: 5:48pm On Oct 21, 2015
kettykin:
So a 42 year old man is now the prime minister and head of government of one of the biggest economies in the world while some fraudsters with their change gimmicks has fooled Nigerians into electing a 70 year old ex military personnel to be their president.

receive sense boy, all we want is a good leader like Buhari, is it not the youth of Nigeria that you want to be president that gave Kashamu Man of the year 2015. what kind of leadership Will those presents.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by charlesucheh(m): 5:48pm On Oct 21, 2015
DEM SAY NIGERIA GO BETTER ONE DAY!
WE DON TIRE TO HEAR AM!
MAKE DEM FIX ONE PARTICULAR DAY, SO THAT IF HE NO BETTER, WE GO KNOW WETIN TO DO!
The problem is a Nigerian problem and not a Buhari's problem. The issue is as a result of a cumulative negative effect of one institution leading to the decay of others. If the apex of decision making (politics) grooms our youths to be what they are suppose to be, they will. The problem is from the central decision making that has affected every other part to the last. IN SUMMARY, CORRUPTION IS THE WAHALA.....

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 21, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

What kind of question is that? Bush and Obama have reached the peak of their political career. Reagan was elected at 69. In about the same age, the VP, Joe Biden wants to contest.
can't we have another person rule nigeria other than buhari...buhari has ruled before na...can't we grow up for once?...
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by sirTesco(m): 5:50pm On Oct 21, 2015
Ilekeh:

I sense nepotism.
Olusola Saraki was a senate house leader in 1979, but 2day his son, Bukola Saraki is now the senate president.

2 Likes

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by anonimi: 5:51pm On Oct 21, 2015
mbhs139:
Pray your brain and bones to still be functioning like that of Buhari by the time you are 70. Me doubt that anyway, because of the life style you are living now. Eeediot

Na which kain prayer be that?
Na real curse you dey wish for so!
A man who could not campaign for long and had to go to London "to rest" according to his wife. A man who confessed he cannot perform at 72.
Why would anyone wish to have his brain and bones function like that at 72

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2168547_boko_jpegb68e1f99d87674891f8bb5b8e27161d0

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2442363_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by kodded(m): 5:52pm On Oct 21, 2015
IzonOwei:
africa is accelerating in reverse gear...we would be stagnant indefinitely until we grow some sense like our white brothers...you can imagine that lil boy just became the prime minister of Canada and in this day and age we are all waiting for a 72 year old man to save us...i once thought we had hope in Nigeria and then i recently re-assessed my head...Nigeria aint moving shitttt...the likes of obj are still controlling this country...Nigeria is just finished...we all need brain surgery in this black country called Nigeria...
nice point

but unfortunately if you talk the so called youths will call you a wailing wailler
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:53pm On Oct 21, 2015
tbaba1234:

Obama has served his two terms.. GEJ can recentest for election if he wants. Two terms is two times in office.

In America, The Bush family has had two presidents and a third is contesting. Clinton was a first lady and is trying to return.

In all these cases, the conversation is about what they have to offer not their age or family lineage.
In fact, while George Bush jnr was the Governor of Texas, his brother, Jeb (who is eyeing the White House) was that of Georgia.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by 247notire(m): 5:53pm On Oct 21, 2015
FastShipping:

Don't mind them. They want a 30 year old to be installed as President in Nigeria; not voted for. Bunch of know nothing kids.

Between, Trump is turning 70 in few months.
As one poster noted it isn't about age but what is in the person's skull and brain. Buhari does not compare in any way to those guys mentioned earlier or Trump himself. In any way at all!!!

1 Like

Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 21, 2015
sirkezman:
Gej had the chance to show us that the younger ones can do it.. we all know how it ended. NANS is another example of why we cant entrust our country to the youths.
GEJ never aspired to be president or even a leader...it was still the same old obj who presented gej so that he(obj) can still control nigeria like a play station console...

Naija has a very long way to go...how did obj become the president of nigeria once more in 1999..thats where our problems started all over again...let us enjoy the uselessness of our country...
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by sirTesco(m): 5:55pm On Oct 21, 2015
Olusola Saraki was a senate house leader in 1979, now in 2015; his son Bukola Saraki is the senate president of same country.
Re: Pic : Gowon And Trudeau In 1973, Is Africa Moving Forward Or Backward??? by Blackkie: 5:58pm On Oct 21, 2015
What will a discussion between Buhari and Trudeau look like?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Suspends State Functions For Three Days / Tonye Cole Meets Peter Obi (Photo) / Widow Of Deceased NSCDC Cg’s First Outrider Gets Automatic Job (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.