Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,257 members, 7,811,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

(Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary (2719 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition: The Waiting Is Over / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by fattbabakay(m): 12:01pm On Oct 22, 2015
It all started with a dilemma, whether or whether not, doubts and contemplation but a very strong hold of faith. When some education enthusiasts decided to kick-start another edition of the most successful online debate competition, in May, last year. After much checking and balancing, it got started with an entry level, proceeded to group stage, then to the final where Funaab emerged as the winner.

As another edition peeps through the door hole, we decided to give you guys a quick run-through of how it all went down, which is the purpose of this thread, therefore, get a bottle of chilled coke, or probably a bag of pure water, have you? Now read along.

It all started like a gentle breeze that succeeds a worrisome ocean wave, with an introduction thread where interested students were instructed to make their interests known, to represent their respective institutions. Several interests came in , but of the many, few institutions were granted access into the competition, 20 to be precise. Why? Because some did not meet up with the minimum requirement, which states "Before a school can be registered, at least 3 students of the school must show interest". So disappointing some really desperate students of that institution couldn't get their great citadel on the battle train due to lack of awareness or probably negligence from their fellow school mates, so sad, i mean it, so sad.

On to the next one, the students only made their intentions known, but mere intentions have no value unless coupled with appropriate actions. The shortlisted students were later instructed to pick any educational topic, write nothing less than 500words for or against the topic and forward it to the mail of the judges. The received arguments were copied and pasted here on this forum without modification. Nairalanders rated, hailed, hyped, appreciated and destructively criticized some of the arguments, as expected, it was very interesting. You can check the thread here. But I must mention, of all the arguments, Microflux, who goes by the name Sobaloju Israel Dara got me thinking quite deeply, he juxtaposed his nice points and structurally perfect lexicals as he dismantled the topic "POLITICAL PARTIES SHOULD ENGAGE MORE YOUNG PEOPLE". Big ups to him.

Moving forward with the speed of a tire rolling down a smooth slope, after the entry stage, 6 schools made it out of the brawl into the qualifiers, all of which are: Funaab, Abu Zaria, the defending champion LASU, Unilorin, Ibadan Poly and the aluta inclined OAU. This got some of the students of the qualified schools raising their shoulders so high above their head, surfing round the forum with their bragging rights all over their signatures, at the envy of other students. Meanwhile, they were behind doors sharpening their literary swords and polishing their shields for the battle ahead, as they knew they were not out of the woods yet.
The six schools were paired, which resulted into the following fixtures:

-OAU VS ABU ZARIA
-UNILORIN S FUNAAB
-LASU VS IBADAN POLY

They were later given topics to battle on, but the event I will never cease to talk about is that of OAU against Abu Zaria, with the topic "
Decamping of Political office holder: an indication of a better nation or a rebrand of national problems?"
. What a day! The argument got me glued to a screen for hours, refreshing pages hoping to get a flaw to pick on but it never came, they threw facts that would make you think they were political gods, they constructed lines that would make you think google is a learner, really, the punches were out of this world. Leaving behind the deft oratory skills and impressive diction of the first presenter for OAU, Microflux. Miracy, also an OAU student and an ex Miss Nairaland stood her ground even when the floors were shaky as she insisted on the fact that Decamping of Political office holder is an indication of a better nation, what boldness from an unexpected gender. When I thought she already stole the show, Danjuma Joseph, an opponent, student of Abu Zaria watered all her previously blazing points with his factual flows that got me thinking like there was no point better than his, he nailed the topic and got the judges nodding. But at the end of the show, OAU emerged as the winner,I have always trusted the so-called Great Ife.

The other events too were thrilling, but let's save the talk for another day. At the end of this stage, the top 4 schools with the highest scores made it to the next stage, leaving Lasu, the defending champion and Unilorin behind. But I must say a big shout out to Sammyscholar, he didn't fall my hand on the topic[i] "Legalizing Abortion In Nigera"[/i], such a support grin grin grin.

Moving on to the next stage which featured the top 4 institutions with the most online debate prowess, or so to say, in Nigeria as at 2014, beef is allowed grin grin grin. The four institutions were grouped up and made to battle against one another and the first two institutions topping the group made it to the grand finale while the third on the list settled for the bronze, third place.

The third place was OAU as decided from the final grouping. They packed their wounded parts from the battle field, transferred aggression of not making the final on to innocent sideline spectators while trying to prove that they are really worthy of the final but luck did not pass the ball to them. But at least they got something out of the event and have it lifted back home to show their expectant supporters, a journey not wasted.

The grand finale came too fast, we thought the event would never end but the most anticipated part of it came in almost without knocking. It featured the almighty giants of Funaab and the great elephantine jumbos of Ibadan Poly. The subject matter was no argument, each speaker was
to speak on his or her discipline and the implications on nation building. Very challenging subject but the intellectual gladiators all melt it down to my surprise. They spitted facts and eye-opening points that almost got me regretting studying my course instead of theirs'. Then their went again, Sammyscholar, studying Procurement and Supply Chain Management (PSCM) in Ibadan Poly, at first I was like "What sorta course with such strange name?". But the moment where he said
No nation can develop without thrive and stride in its business sector. PSCM has been playing a vital and palpable role in this area. It has redefined our business landscape from what it formally used to be and has given it a new picture. It gives companies leverage ground and helps them gain competitive advantages over their competitors by focusing more on their core competencies while contracting out their non-competence areas to the third party organizations within the supply chain. According to Arjan Van Weele; "the competition is no longer between business to business, but between the Procurement and Supply Chain department of one company and another."
, knocked me off my seat and got me staggering for an empty support, then I noticed I was not alone, looked around me and saw spectators all silent, like they could no more see with their eyes and they all resorted to opening their mouths to support their vision, how come no one has ever thought of such fact was the question that filled the air, waiting for someone to pick it up and answer, it was thrilling.

Then we were all at the verge of giving up and declaring Ibadan Poly the winner, pseudonomer springed up with one of the best courses in Nigeria, though disputable, Computer Science. He had too many points as expected, therefore, he won so many souls, jaws dropped. But not everyone could be convinced though, a spectator almost fell his hand when he commented "This pseudonomer no get point, computer science is not a course, na training, dem dey do am under bridge for Lag", the factless fact got other spectators laughing and pointing mockery fingers at pseudonomer, who knows how much it affected him.

Finally, the last stroke that broke the camel's back was that of Nunushokoto, also for Funaab, he gave us no other reason to think otherwise, he held us tightly and got us bounded to his circumference. The counter attack of darrytoz was also strong, but not enough to get his citadel, IbadanPoly, the gold, FUNAAB was declared winner.

The atmosphere was rowdy, joy filled the air as the already ready supporters of FUNAAB flooded the arena, dancing and throwing Funaab flags all over the area, before I could say Jack, the representatives of Funaab were already in the air, being lifted by their supporters, it must have been a very glorious day for them. Meanwhile, on the same ground, there were sober looks at some corners, Ibadan poly students got their heads ducked in between their knees, though victorious, they really wanted to take the lead. There were also indifferent set of individuals, they care not about the winner nor the runner-up, they were just there to feed their hungry eyes.

That was how it all went down, all thanks to God for the great success of the edition. Sincere appreciation to all those who have been supporting this event. Big ups to Oga Seun for such a great platform well presented for the venue, special thanks to lalasticlala, r231, Caracta, Matthew Briggs, JARUS, Jaybee3, TGIRL4REAL, OBINOSCOPY, UJ-SIZZLE, Olawalebabs, Richiez, HIDENTITY, Fynestboi, and Fattbabakay.

Also thanks to all participants, supporters and critics. Thanks for all appreciation, recommendations, condemnation and criticism.

As the flight of the next edition prepares to take off, we shall clear the air space and confirm the weather condition for your security, you just tighten your seat belt and be coperative, you will definitely enjoy it.

[size=14pt]It's the Niaraland Interschool Online Debate Competition, Watchout For Third Edition!!![/size]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by fattbabakay(m): 12:27pm On Oct 22, 2015
How do you think the next edition might improve, comment below...
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Fynestboi: 12:33pm On Oct 22, 2015
Let go there. smiley
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 22, 2015
Interesting!.

I am less busy these days, so I'm def' IN. smiley

1 Like

Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Sheikwonder(m): 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2015
Good initiative.

I think I want to switch sides.Rather than being nominated as judge,I'd much rather prefer to be a debater.

Is that still possible?
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 23, 2015
Sheikwonder:
Good initiative.

I think I want to switch sides.Rather than being nominated as judge,I'd much rather prefer to be a debater.

Is that still possible?
Are you an undergraduate? If yes, you can participate as a debater but if you are a graduate, after proper assessment on your Use of English & impeccable judging skill by skimming through your posts done by co-ordinators, you would be considered as a judge.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Sheikwonder(m): 1:43pm On Oct 23, 2015
Judge it is then....
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by papinx(m): 12:39am On Oct 24, 2015
Wow! Let's go there..... Wish to see intelligentsias like Epaul and TheLastNazgul again..... Mehn, you go fear law students.....
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 24, 2015
papinx:
Wow! Let's go there..... Wish to see intelligentsias like Epaul and TheLastNazgul again..... Mehn, you go fear law students.....
TheLastNazgul should be a graduate now.
So, he's ineligible and are you the same as Papindinho?.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by TheLastNazgul(m): 9:31am On Oct 24, 2015
FrancisTony:

Yeah, I'm done now. Finished a month ago.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by TheLastNazgul(m): 9:33am On Oct 24, 2015
papinx:
Thanks,was looking forward to it but my participating isn't a sure thing won't be possible from the looks of it.
I'll watch from the sidelines if at all.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Fynestboi: 9:51am On Oct 24, 2015
TheLastNazgul:

Wow, congrats bro, you can join the judges bro, how about that?
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 24, 2015
TheLastNazgul:
Congrats, Barr'!
Convocation merriment is next..
When should I be reporting to UNIBEN? cheesy
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by papindinho(m): 8:44pm On Oct 24, 2015
FrancisTony:

yea, Papinx is.

Congratulations @TheLastNazgul
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by papindinho(m): 8:54pm On Oct 24, 2015
TheLastNazgul:
Thanks,was looking forward to it but my participating isn't a sure thing won't be possible from the looks of it.
I'll watch from the sidelines if at all.

All the best of God in your future endeavour sir.

@FrancisTony How's UI na
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by menzo4u: 12:00am On Oct 25, 2015
I'm in. Please I want to participate in this edition please.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by TheLastNazgul(m): 3:42am On Oct 25, 2015
papindinho:

Thanks.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by TheLastNazgul(m): 3:43am On Oct 25, 2015
FrancisTony:
Congrats, Barr'! Convocation merriment is next.. When should I be reporting to UNIBEN? cheesy
Thanks. Ermm....that'll be next year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by TheLastNazgul(m): 3:45am On Oct 25, 2015
Fynestboi:

Wow, congrats bro, you can join the judges bro, how about that?
Thanks.
From contestant to judge, that's quite the quantum leap.
Thanks for the offer. I'll have to get back to you.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 25, 2015
papindinho:

@FrancisTony How's UI na
I wish I have anything to tell you 'bout her - another federal school, it is.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Fynestboi: 8:22am On Oct 25, 2015
TheLastNazgul:

Thanks.
From contestant to judge, that's quite the quantum leap.
Thanks for the offer. I'll have to get back to you.

You deserve more than that. Bro. You are a role model intellectually to most nairalander.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by EduRegard: 10:24am On Oct 25, 2015
Nice concept.
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by femmykenny: 12:59am On Oct 26, 2015
Love it
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by TopeQs: 8:26am On Nov 06, 2015
HELLO...........FUTMINNA here, don't hesitate to contact when another edition is out.......#showing interestgrin
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Fynestboi: 6:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
TopeQs:
HELLO...........FUTMINNA here, don't hesitate to contact when another edition is out.......#showing interestgrin

Nice one...
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by STARGREEN(m): 8:36pm On Dec 04, 2015
Could it be possible to permit this edition to be for M. Sc and Doctorate students?
Re: (Comment) Nairaland Interschool Debate 2nd Edition - The Summary by Fynestboi: 8:39pm On Dec 04, 2015
STARGREEN:
Could it be possible to permit this edition to be for M. Sc and Doctorate students?

Reallywow such a nice idea but sir this is coming late sir, maybe the 4th edition will be consider.?

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of A Roommate At Choba / Quantitative Reasoning Question / My Gp Just After My 100level

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.