Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,167 members, 7,811,385 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out (3974 Views)

Do Female Atheist Exist In Nigeria? / Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? / Why Are Female Atheist Scarce In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by K9blunt(f): 12:51pm On Oct 22, 2015
YES you've been wondering why it's only male atheist that are openly (some what) debating about religion and the absurdities behind them, but the females just keep quiet and prefer staying in the shadows

* fear - it takes guts to make a stand, guts to be different from the usual, imagine a lamb in the midst of tigers. that's scary. I was arguing with a suppose friend one day, and it got to a point when the friend saw he couldn't change my mind he made to beat me, but for shear luck. imagine being in the midst of your family who are so religious,, but when you say otherwise and as a lady, the lady can get bashed, not all of us are strong willed, get emotionally bullied into thinking we won't be able to get settled with a husband and family with such mindsets and etc...

* jobs - now not only ladies but guys too. I personally work in an organization that's religiously centered on, of course I have to lie about my atheistic beliefs, or I get fired, but I can't afford to lose my job in this country where its hard to get a job and I have responsibilities. Nigerian jobs usually ask if you're either Christian or muslim. boiko who is ready to answer "neither, am an atheist" or "agnostic" ? we know the answer is pretty obvious.

*intellectualism - most of us are not that intellectually sound to debate so we leave the arguments to the professors here grin

*moral bankruptcy - my experience with a guy I thought I liked, when I told him of my beliefs, he started talking dirty sexual stuffs and even worsen his stupidity by sending his privates snap shots of himself and he was the second of seven people with such attitudes. smh

Nigeria is a religious country and from the arguments I see here on the religious thread, most theist are ready to bokolize anybody that thinks outside the box. pastors are ready to preach violence (I have no evidence but if some pastors/MOG are drilling and burning children for witchcraft what will happen to you atheist, a part on the back?) so that their business of making easy and quick money won't be threatened. so for now we prefer staying in the closet until the time comes when the country can be free of bigotism which is in the nearest dreamland time

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Booyakasha(f): 1:02pm On Oct 22, 2015
I hope you don't be satan's housegirl in hell...

5 Likes

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 1:42pm On Oct 22, 2015
Booyakasha:

Yea or maybe Santa Clause's house girl in the north pole. . . . Both should be fun..

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 1:51pm On Oct 22, 2015
[b]Surely we all know the Religious discrimination and contempt even in the midst of the believers themselves.

We can see the contempt pentecostals christians have for Catholics.

Muslims and Christians have for each other

Or Christians have for traditional religion to the extent they take their bigotry to an extreme of burning traditional places of worship?

You imagine the hatred and contempt the believers of personal Gods hold for each other over who got the better God now imagine what they will feel for you who tell them they are all overgrown children..

What do you think their emotions towards you will be like when you openly go ahead and tell them you don't believe what they believe or even give them reasons why their beliefs are quite irrational.

This society that are idiotic enough to lynch little children and even old women in the name of witch craft what do you think is the potential violence tendency it poses for someone who don't believe in the idea of personal Gods where almost their lives are centered on.

It is a highly risky society to identify to be atheistic especially for girls because of the potential discrimination, hatred, resentment and anger people with God would throw at you for daring to disbelieve what they hold to be absolute truth..

Though i for one don't hide my stance but i don't go about announcing it unless you asked or threw your beliefs at me.

There may be far too many atheists and agnostics in Nigeria than we ever can imagine but most just keep quiet to avoid societal stigmatization..
[/b]

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by frank317: 1:55pm On Oct 22, 2015
Booyakasha:

This kind of thinking and behaviour is what she is talking about.

See u, u think you are going to heaven and atheists are going to hell? U think u are better than anyone because u believe in a mythical story?
Your brain is filled with jelly

7 Likes

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Booyakasha(f): 1:59pm On Oct 22, 2015
johnydon22:

Yea or maybe Santa Clause's house girl in the north pole. . . . Both should be fun..
Lol.. ofcourse god is not dead, he is out there partying with the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy and the Man on the Moon grin
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Booyakasha(f): 2:01pm On Oct 22, 2015
frank317:

This kind of thinking and behaviour is what she is talking about.

See u, u think you are going to heaven and atheists are going to hell? U think u are better than anyone because u believe in a mythical story?
Your brain is filled with jelly

Lol shut up felicia, i want to goto mars...
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Booyakasha(f): 2:06pm On Oct 22, 2015
Johnydon22, suprisingly you have a christian name, mail me i have a job for you...
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 2:12pm On Oct 22, 2015
Booyakasha:
Johnydon22, suprisingly you have a christian name, mail me i have a job for you...

Effect of child indoctrination. . . I was born into a christian home and area of Enugu state...

I have an igbo name but sadly the people just say na to deh call me oyibo name better for them embarassed

It stuck from Childhood till now its not a biggie..grin even hitchens bear a Christian name wink

Job

3 Likes

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Booyakasha(f): 2:21pm On Oct 22, 2015
johnydon22:

Effect of child indoctrination. . . I was born into a christian home and area of Enugu state...

I have an igbo name but sadly the people just say na to deh call me oyibo name better for them embarassed

It stuck from Childhood till now its not a biggie..grin even hitchens bear a Christian name wink

Job
Yeah, JOB!
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 2:27pm On Oct 22, 2015
Booyakasha:

Yeah, JOB!

If its something i can do then no biggie am all for it... forget pm na long journey..

BBM pin 7F740386
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by frank317: 2:37pm On Oct 22, 2015
Booyakasha:

Lol shut up felicia, i want to goto mars...

Look...now that was funny

1 Like

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Krystalzkris(f): 2:58pm On Oct 22, 2015
you are right dear@ Op.... Or sometimes,they remind you that you are a woman and when you marry, you need spirituality to build your home... I no longer say anything about my unbelief to people,i just let them say whatever they like.. That's the only way for peace to reign especially when you are in the midst of elders..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by raayah(f): 3:06pm On Oct 22, 2015
OP.
How can you say women don't debate because of low intellectuals.
All your points are valid except that one

2 Likes

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Booyakasha(f): 3:25pm On Oct 22, 2015
johnydon22:

If its something i can do then no biggie am all for it... forget pm na long journey..

BBM pin 7F740386
No, i hate BBM, facebook?
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 3:33pm On Oct 22, 2015
Booyakasha:

No, i hate BBM, facebook?
Lol..me too tho... Ok click this link to my story.. My number is right there.. http://www.coolval22.com/Vforum/topic/adventures-of-johnysky-2-over-the-fence/
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 3:35pm On Oct 22, 2015
raayah:
OP.

True talk sisi. . . . Many women are actually our superiors in terms of intellect..

Intellect has nothing to do with gender.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by CoolUsername: 6:11pm On Oct 22, 2015
OP, you've raised some valid points but there's one that can readily be remedied. You don't have to be a professor to some of these things but it takes extra effort because these things are glossed over in primary and secondary school.

At least we always have google. Google the following keywords on evolution: artificial selection, convergent evolution with marsupials, the laryngeal nerve, chromosone 2, ring species, endogenous retrovirus, the lungfish, archaeopteryx.

For a detailed comic strip on evolution follow this link:
darryl-cunningham..co.nz/2011/06/evolution.html?m=1

These keywords and the link were actually supplied by a female on a reddit forum.

You can google the big bang, formation of the milky way galaxy, our solar system, the earth and the moon.

Remember also that these links are not about atheism but are just about what is, real phenomena that brought us here today.

It is still advisable to remain in the closet about your beliefs. Enjoy the links smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 6:22pm On Oct 22, 2015
CoolUsername:
OP, you've raised some valid points but there's one that can readily be remedied. You don't have to be a professor to some of these things but it takes extra effort because these things are glossed over in primary and secondary school.

At least we always have google. Google the following keywords on evolution: artificial selection, convergent evolution with marsupials, the laryngeal nerve, chromosone 2, ring species, endogenous retrovirus, the lungfish, archaeopteryx.

For a detailed comic strip on evolution follow this link:
darryl-cunningham..co.nz/2011/06/evolution.html?m=1

These keywords and the link were actually supplied by a female on a reddit forum.

You can google the big bang, formation of the milky way galaxy, our solar system, the earth and the moon.

Remember also that these links are not about atheism but are just about what is, real phenomena that brought us here today.

It is still advisable to remain in the closet about your beliefs. Enjoy the links smiley

so all these scientific theories you listed above as regard development of intellect what has they got to do with atheism exactly?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by CoolUsername: 6:56pm On Oct 22, 2015
johnydon22:

so all these scientific theories you listed above as regard development of intellect what has they got to do with atheism exactly?
The OP mentioned lack of knowledge as one of the challenges female atheists are facing in Nigeria, so I gave her basic things she should know about the world around her. Science deals with facts, so she should have facts. Stating facts to people is a better approach than bashing their religion IMO. You can't be taken seriously if you don't have knowledge. So while these things have nothing to do with atheism, they are still good points to make when asked.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 7:26pm On Oct 22, 2015
CoolUsername:
The OP mentioned lack of knowledge as one of the challenges female atheists are facing in Nigeria, so I gave her basic things she should know about the world around her. Science deals with facts, so she should have facts. Stating facts to people is a better approach than bashing their religion IMO. You can't be taken seriously if you don't have knowledge. So while these things have nothing to do with atheism, they are still good points to make when asked.

Oh alright i understand. . . Though scientific knowledge is necessary for every modern human in this age.

I also find History, politics, philosophy and ancient antiquities intriguing and helpful in developing a sound and balanced view of the world through consistent logic.

Though personally i do not sorely rely on Science and Reason because i feel these are necessary for every human rather than regarded merely as sufficient factors.

But i greatly distrusts everything that contradicts science or outrages reason. . . Or out boycotts systematic deductions in order to establish immutable and unquestionable dogmas. .

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by CoolUsername: 7:32pm On Oct 22, 2015
johnydon22:

Oh alright i understand. . . Though scientific knowledge is necessary for every modern human in this age.
I also find History, politics, philosophy and ancient antiquities intriguing and helpful in developing a sound and balanced view of the world through consistent logic.
Though personally i do not sorely rely on Science and Reason because i feel these are necessary for every human rather than regarded merely as sufficient factors.
But i greatly distrusts everything that contradicts science or outrages reason. . . Or out boycotts systematic deductions in order to establish immutable and unquestionable dogmas. .
Then it seems that we're on the same side.

1 Like

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Antiparticle(m): 8:36pm On Oct 22, 2015
K9blunt:
...I was arguing with a suppose friend one day, and it got to a point when the friend saw he couldn't change my mind he made to beat me, but for shear luck...
This part enrages me. That guy acted like a savage. Men who beat woman are cowards. How did you end up luckily avoiding getting beaten by him?
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Chizzled06(m): 8:38pm On Oct 22, 2015
Everyday, I wonder how many Nigerians have realized organized religion is bullshit. The stigma surrounding being identified as an atheist can cost you your livelihood and personal relationships as you've pointed out, so a lot of people (men inclusive) still rather keep their lack of belief to themselves.

I've given up attempting to de-indoctrinate people by having arguments, because these ideologies are deeply rooted in some people. I only encourage them to learn more, I've found that education (esp history, science) can open up people's minds and help them start to think rationally.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 23, 2015
Female 'atheists' are never to be taken seriously.
I say that with all fondness. smiley
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by hpk(m): 8:02am On Oct 23, 2015
that moral bankruptcy point is a really fragile one.
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by K9blunt(f): 9:08am On Oct 23, 2015
Antiparticle:

This part enrages me. That guy acted like a savage. Men who beat woman are cowards. How did you end up luckily avoiding getting beaten by him?

i told him he's no different from the Muslim extremist called book haram, he stopped in his tracks then left

2 Likes

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by K9blunt(f): 9:13am On Oct 23, 2015
raayah:
OP.

I said and meant most of us women, no doubt there are very good intellectual atheist women, I am not one of them, am not good at debating, so I spoke for people like me.

am too occupied with other pressing things to make research on scientific facts, so I am content with my freedom of belief, I only get irritated and use my environment and my limited knowledge of what I read when I was a theist to argue my points when I'm confronted/approached.
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 23, 2015
Op spot on, Nice points you figured out.

It should also be noted that feminist theory of a lady been seen and not to heard applies to being atheist lady and only thing different is the lady ability to use her brain and still conform to the feminist culture in the Africa/Nigeria system.

If you are reading this, you an advanced breed of monkey(homo sapien), we atheists are just the first people to admit it and am proud of us.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 11:12am On Oct 23, 2015
aaronson:

If you are reading this, you an advanced breed of monkey(homo sapien), we atheists are just the first people to admit it and am proud of us.

This is untrue, atheists has nothing to do with the scientific theory of evolution so saying atheists are the first people to admit that is a lie.

Secondly not every atheists is an evolutionist and bringing atheist on that one banner is a second lie.

Many theists are evolutionists does it make them atheistic too? . . . Scientific theories have nothing to do with atheists.

Lastly evolution asserted primates, doesn't mean monkey...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 23, 2015
johnydon22:

This is untrue, atheists has nothing to do with the scientific theory of evolution so saying atheists are the first people to admit that is a lie.

Secondly not every atheists is an evolutionist and bringing atheist on that one banner is a second lie.

Many theists are evolutionists does it make them atheistic too? . . . Scientific theories have nothing to do with atheists.

Lastly evolution asserted primates, doesn't mean monkey...
Majority and I mean majority atheists turned out to be atheist in their adventure to seek proof for existence and these prove are linked to the intellectual study of the sciences and evolution.

Yes, Not all atheists truly believes in evolution same as not all christians believes 25th december is Jesus birthday but I tell you what, Some atheists are in it for the reality of it debunking fairytales while others such as myself stumbled upon it on our adventure to seeking prove and truth, The former uses his commonsensical mindset while the later uses organic and applied thought(s) learnt in course of truth seeking adventure.

Lastly, Primate explains the family tree of mammals which monkeys happens to be apart of.
Re: Reasons We Female Atheist Don't Come Out by johnydon22(m): 11:50am On Oct 23, 2015
aaronson:
Majority and I mean majority atheists turned out to be atheist in their adventure to seek proof for existence and these prove are linked to the intellectual study of the sciences and evolution.

You could say many not most. . . Am sure they are some people who think Anunnakis genetically engineered humans (And this lot includes both theists, atheists, pantheists and what have you)

Yes, Not all atheists truly believes in evolution same as not all christians believes 25th december is Jesus birthday but I tell you what, Some atheists are in it for the reality of it debunking fairytales while others such as myself stumbled upon it on our adventure to seeking prove and truth, The former uses his commonsensical mindset while the later uses organic and applied thought(s) learnt in course of truth seeking adventure.

This could be ok...

Lastly, Primate explains the family tree of mammals which monkeys happens to be apart of

Exactly the point. . . According to evolution humans and monkeys come under one umbrella which is Primates.

this doesn't mean evolution asserts humans are monkeys or monkeys are humans ..Means they are genetically cousins like all forms of life in the planet are also related though some nearer than others.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pastor Bosun Emmanuel Should Open His Ministry Already. / Does GOD Exist? "The Design Argument". / JESUS CAME TO FULFILL MOSES LAW GIVEN BY GOD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.