Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

I Encourage Other Men To Be Like My Hubby By Kemi Ashefon - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Encourage Other Men To Be Like My Hubby By Kemi Ashefon (1227 Views)

How My Husband Pushed Me Into Having Sex With Other Men / My Hubby Starves Me Of Sex: What To Do? / Should I Encourage My Wife To.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Encourage Other Men To Be Like My Hubby By Kemi Ashefon by JJYOU: 6:59pm On May 03, 2009
I encourage other men to be like my hubby
By KEMI ASHEFON
Published: Sunday, 3 May 2009

Mrs. Salamatu Hussaini Suleiman, the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, is a lawyer and politician. She tells KEMI ASHEFON that there are many potential female ministers from the North MRS. Salamatu Hussaini Suleiman, the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development is quite lively. She has even succeeded in infusing the same into the ministry within the first three months of appointment.
Skip to next paragraph
click to expand image
Photo file

Mrs. Salamatu Hussaini Suleiman

Deemed to be one of the most enlightened appointed so far to oversee the women affairs ministry, the Kebbi State born graduate of law is very exposed. A lawyer by profession, she was called into the Nigerian Bar in 1982. ”I got admission to Queens‘ College in 1973, did my first degree at the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, got a master‘s abroad in economics and political science and I have been working both in the public/private sectors as a lawyer before my current appointment,” she starts.

Confessing to have come from a family of scholars, she is also an advocate for the education of the girl-child. Suleiman enthuses, ”My father comes from a very scholarly family; he is an alkali (an Islamic teacher) in Kebbi. The Hussaini family originally came from Gwandu, but I was told my father‘s ancestors migrated from Senegal around the same time with Usman Dan Fodio, my paternal great great-grandfather. We love books in my family and my aunt, Salamatu, who I was named after, was also a teacher. Though a full-time housewife, my mother is reasonably enlightened and at over 80 years, she is still kicking.”

Remind her that the stereotypical northern woman is not exposed and hardly participates in politics or other social activities and she quickly corrects, ”Your definition of being exposed is relative. Though we might not look too exposed or too outspoken, we are very mild and moderate people. But when we have a chance to contribute, we put our best to the highest level.

”It is a matter of opportunity. With the right opportunity, there are many more potential female ministers in the North. That is why I emphasise on education. But for God‘s grace and education, I may not be where I am today. God used opportunity of education to enlighten me to the level that I could easily compete and get to this level. In those days, the selection of students to the unity schools was from all over the states of the federation.

”This gave you a broader perspective of your country. That really helped me and now there is no state I would go to in Nigeria that I would not know someone - she could either be an old school mate, school daughter, school mother, classmate etc. I believe if we can go back to that system, it would help Nigerians, especially the youths. Now, people are more into themselves and hardly know what goes on in other states. If it had been like that then, there would not have been the likes of me.

”I believe a northern woman could still be in the limelight and still hold her values and be an epitome of what the society expects of her. In the north, it has been tough on women. Maybe based on religion and cultural aspect – women are not seen so much and are expected to contribute mainly in the home-front. I believe with the right exposure, they have the right to contribute both at home and in the public sector. That is our responsibility as a ministry and as women. God has given the woman inherent capabilities, potential, capacities and it behoves on us to explore those potential and contribute to the home and nation.”

Just a few months in office, she is making progress, but would not deny facing challenges. Enumerating her points, the minister agrees that some Nigerians see the ministry as insignificant. ”They perceive it‘s all about gender issues,” Hajia Suleiman berates. ”But with all sense of responsibility, I don‘t think there is any ministry that has more challenges than the ministry of women. People have tended to look down on issues of women and children. We are the bedrock of the society, we hold the home-front, we train the children and unless we have it right with women, lots of things can‘t go well. She has to take care of the children, remain healthy and be empowered.

”Aside from that, there is also the socially disadvantaged persons that the ministry caters for. These make up like 15 per cent added with women and children. Obviously, until theirs is put in place, you can‘t achieve national objectives. We are not well funded but the present administration has relieved us of that burden through the MDGs office and by the time we have the funds, we can carry out more advocacy and sensitisation programmes as well.

”Women are important in national development. There is also a challenge in capacity building and a level of illiteracy among rural women. This is a gender mainstreaming ministry and we don‘t have much training. We have gender going right through all aspects of life and this ministry is the bedrock of our social development.”

Married to a man she describes as ”very understanding and supportive,” it is unbelievable that she is now a grandmother. She definitely must have tips on graceful ageing. She says, ”I must have taken after both my parents. My elder sister is said to look younger than I. I used to exercise before my appointment, but now I am so busy that I don‘t do it. I eat the regular northern dishes and I drink water. I am lucky to have a husband who never stood in my way. He has contributed to my success and I encourage other men to be like him too.”

Coincidentally, she shares the same lineage with her spouse who is also a descendant of Usman Dan Fodio. Recalling their meeting over 28 years ago, Suleiman, who was also a politician while as an undergraduate says, ”I met him when we were in the university. Though no longer a student then, he was working and our families had always known one another. We have been married for 28 years and no regrets.”

A mentor to many young women, she advises, ”Remain focused, believe in yourself that you can do anything and achieve as long as you are with God.”

Quite fashionable in her outing, the minister explains, ”God is progressive. Fashion is all in the mind and you must do things straight and decent. You have to look presentable and not frivolous. I‘m a lawyer and I have to dress like one. I should wear clothes that when I come out of my house, my husband would not be unduly agitated

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2009050223594485

(1) (Reply)

Please Donate Clothes For An 8 Year Old Boy And A 7 Year Old Girl / A Man Sued His Wife For Giving Birth To "Ugly Baby" / Pls Hw Can I Get Date Of Birth Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.