Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,833 members, 7,851,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:48 AM

Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! (71657 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by tkb417(m): 1:13pm On May 14, 2009
Emperoh
yo man. lets talk at the auto thread.
u can give details at the thread i opened.

u don dey chop money o grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by ndumart: 1:31pm On May 14, 2009
What Tevez brings to the United team, Berbatov does not. Tevez is hungrier and more dedicated. He is a fighter anyday. He charges his teammates to action. He can run for the duration of the game. He may not be a clinical finisher but his goals have been of immense importance these two seasons he has stayed with us. This time last season Ronaldo was on almost 40 goals, Ronaldo and Tevez on 20+. That was the Holy Trinity era. Now Berba comes along and Tev drops to the bench, Rooney flunged to the flanks and the goals diminish. Ronaldo on a paltry 26 goals, Rooney and Tevez yet to notch up to 20 each.

IMO, out frontline was deadlier last term when compared to this season. That means Berba distorted the rhyme among the Holy trinity.

Yes, Tev is too costly for 30+ milla, but i dont see that as a problem. If he can get Berba for such amount why not Tev. Or better still sell of Nani and pay for Tev. We need him. The fans want him, his teammates need him, what is SAF waiting for?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by BinghiNya(m): 1:46pm On May 14, 2009
Berbatov is not a type of player United can rely on. He is the reason why we haven't scored goals in droves. I prefer United get rid of him and buy benzema and tevez with the proceeds of the sale. Berbatov is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 1:52pm On May 14, 2009
presido1:

In as much as nobody is irreplaceable i think letting Tevez go will be another mistake fergie will regret. Hez established and can do the biz. Barba is a good player no doubt but his style of footie seems not to be matching with what we have in United. Without Tevez last and against spurs liverpool would have been in the pole position by now. SAF plays Barba cuz of the money he spent on him which will infuriate fans if kept on the bench. Hez returns is not what we expected from a striker that cost that much and has been around in the PL for two years. Hez too slow and lazy to be in United attack and that has cost us many goals this season.

This kinda statement makes me antsy to the core. . . . . .

Berbatov has been more effective on the pitch than Carlos Tevez and his transfer fee should not even come into it.
If we make Tevez permanent, his deal would cost us 32 million pounds. . . . .Thatz 2 million pounds more than Berbatov(are u aware of that)?
So has Tevez's goal return this season show his worth? It's not about goals for some type of strikers. . . . . .
Dennis Bergkamp scored how many goals at Arsenal? Does that make him bad??

Berbatov is lazy, Berbatov cannot run, Berbatov is too slow.
He has the highest assists in the Premiership(All from OPEN PLAY).
Eat these STATS from OPTA.

Some interesting defensive stats about our midfielders and forwards:

Tackles:

Fletcher: 4 won, 3 lost
Giggs: 0 won, 7 lost
Berbatov: 6 won, 2 lost
Tevez: 3 won, 2 lost

Park: 2 won, 1 lost
Ronaldo: 0 won, 2 lost
Rooney: 0 won, 2 lost
Scholes: 1 won, o lost

Interceptions:

Fletcher: 1
Giggs: 2
Berbatov: 2
Tevez: 0

Park: 3
Ronaldo: 0
Rooney: 0
Scholes: 1

Free kicks:

Fletcher: 1 won, 3 conceded
Giggs: 2 won, 3 conceded
Berbatov: 4 won, 2 conceded
Tevez: 1 won, 1 conceded

Park: 3 won, 0 conceded
Ronaldo: 0 won, 0 conceded
Rooney: 0 won, 2 conceded
Scholes: 0 won, o conceded

You can spot the difference between hard worker (Tevez) and lazy gits (Berba), can't u? tongue

Our counter attack is not what itz used to be cuz of hiz slow movement. Sometimes he feels less concerned inside the pitch.
If i were to chose who will stay Tevez will be ma first choice but who am i to say.
Is not that Fergie doesn't want to sign him but he want to explore some loop whole to get him on a free transfer which is what he is doing right now. If that will materialise is another case all together.

How many times did we come stuck last season when we had Rooney/Tevez partnership?
People forget there were games we all wanted another type of striker that will slow things down unlike what Rooney/Tevez bring to the team.
Berbatov is a class act. . . . . .With him in the team, we are 5 points better off this season.
His ball retention up front(what Rooney and Tevez don't have) means we retain possession more than we did last season.

When your opponents don't have the ball, there's little they can do to hurt your defence.
In the match against SPURS, Berbatov played better than anyone on the pitch.
There are many factors a player like Dimitar brings to the table. You have the tangibles. . . .goals, assists . . . . and the not so tangibles.
But the not so tangible things he does so well are often overlooked by 'muppets'.

He gave a masterclass in keeping the ball yesterday and brought others into play left right and center.
People remember Tevez because he pinged in a corker once in a blue moon and run himself to the ground.
It's like saying Gerrard is better than Carrick. . . . . .
Na yam?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by tkb417(m): 2:06pm On May 14, 2009
It's like saying Gerrard is better than Carrick. . . . . .
Na yam?
ill start with this,
Gerrard is better than Carrick a billion times

back to your stats
you only gave us stats on tackles and interceptions
did we buy Berbatov to be flying in tackles? he shld stick to what we bought him for
if we wanted people to be intercepting passes and spraying tackles, then Berba isnt who we shld have bought

Goals: Tevez has scored more while playing fewer games
In as much as i wouldnt want to go into Berba this Tevez that, its obvious from all we have seen this season that, Tevez did more for UTD than Berbatov. Im not saying one is better than the other but based on performances on the pitch, the one who deserved to be flunged to the far east is Berbatov. Not Tevez

Buy Tevez, Buy Tevz, Buy Tevez is the song at OT
so Sauron, why are you singing a discordant tune here?
This is an extension on OT u know grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 14, 2009
If you don't need Tevez, pass him on.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 2:21pm On May 14, 2009
tkb417:

ill start with this,
Gerrard is better than Carrick a billion times

And what has Gerrard won in the past 3 seasons Carrick has been with United?
Lemme start this way. . . . . .Carrick is the best United midfielder, isn't it?
Scholesy hasn't played many games, Anderson joined only last season.
Hargreaves, Giggsy and Flecther have all been in and out in the last 3 seasons so Michael Carrick is the highest common factor.
Is it his brilliance or just mere coincidence that we have won 3 EPL titles and on our way to win UCL back to back?
Man mii, Michael Carrick is the most effective midfielder in England. . . .All those bust gusting Gerrard runs are deceptive.

back to your stats
you only gave us stats on tackles and interceptions
did we buy Berbatov to be flying in tackles? he shld stick to what we bought him for
if we wanted people to be intercepting passes and spraying tackles, then Berba isnt who we shld have bought

U have to question SAF cos Berbatov doesn't play like a striker anymore.
Fergie has drafted him deeper than he ever was at SPURS. All these things come into play.
U saw yesterday's match, didn't ya? How deep was Berbatov compared to Rooney and Ronaldo last night?

There is a gulf between fans' expectations and Berbatov's end product. There are several reasons for this gulf.

First, most fans aren't well informed about his contributions both attacking and defensively wise.
Before his injury he was our most prolific player in terms of goals and assists in the most important compets (Premiership and CL, twice more productive than Tevez BTW) and has been more effective than the other forwards in terms of tackles and intercepted attacks.
99.9% of United fans and journalists have had absolutely no idea about those stats.

Second, With him in the team we won 10 points more than last season (from the corresponding fixtures).

Third, with Berbatov on the pitch we haven't conceded a single goal in the UCL bar Cesc's phantom penalty (partly because our possession of the ball and control of the game is better).

Fourth, Berbatov plays way deeper than he did at Spurs. He has changed his game. In most games, he doesn't play as a striker at United. His role is to link our midfield and our forwards. He has played deeper than Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and even Park. Fans, pundits, journalists etc. expect from him the end product of a striker and he doesn't play as a striker.
But they don't see this and are left with the impression that he doesn't do his job well and thus is a failure.

The misunderstanding is complete and at the same time comical.
But who cares given that we win? Let the haters and the pundits talk bollocks: this may help us win the lot.

Goals: Tevez has scored more while playing fewer games
In as much as i wouldnt want to go into Berba this Tevez that, its obvious from all we have seen this season that, Tevez did more for UTD than Berbatov. Im not saying one is better than the other but based on performances on the pitch, the one who deserved to be flunged to the far east is Berbatov. Not Tevez

Tevez has scored half of what Berba has scored in the league. . . . . . .He has also played more than half of what Berba has played.
I don't have a problem signing Tevez but if he goes, United won't miss him.
Moreover, i don't like people saying what they don't know as if goals, goals goals are the be-all of a team player.
Who is more effective this season? Fletcher or Alex Song?

Buy Tevez, Buy Tevz, Buy Tevez is the song at OT
so Sauron, why are you singing a discordant tune here?
This is an extension on OT u know grin

SAF can splash 40 milla on Tevez for all i care but don't praise Tevez at the expense of Berbatov.
Dimitar has improved Man Utd even if this improvement is 2%.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by ndumart: 2:24pm On May 14, 2009
@Sauron
Despite being a united fan, i will go for Gerrard over Carrick for many obvious reasons.

As for Berba and Tev, Berba is class-act no doubt and his contributions are appreciated. However, methinks the average united fan prefers Tev to Berba. Berba has started more matches than Tev this season and as such is expected to have made more impact than Tev.

This time last season, with the Rooney/Ronaldo/Tevez partnership, we have scored more goals, individually and as a unit.
This season however, with the inclusion of Berba, we have lesser goals albeit more points. We even played better footie last season than this term.

These guys bring diff things to the team, berba brings composure and calmness, while Tev brings urgency and purposefulness.

All in all , if SAF can keep those guys happy, no probs, buy making Tev the sacrificial lamb among the quartet is what i dont fancy. Besides, why the delay in making his deal permanent?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by tkb417(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2009
And what has Gerrard won in the past 3 seasons Carrick has been with United?
Lemme start this way. . . . . .Carrick is the best United midfielder, isn't it?
Scholesy hasn't played many games, Anderson joined only last season.
Hargreaves, Giggsy and Flecther have all been in and out in the last 3 seasons so Michael Carrick is the highest common factor.
Is it his brilliance or just mere coincidence that we have won 3 EPL titles and on our way to win UCL back to back?
Man mii, Michael Carrick is the most effective midfielder in England. . . .All those bust gusting Gerrard runs are deceptive.
i wont engage you on the Berba/Tevez thing cos that can slow down my work
im also arguing with one of my EDs on this so its an arguement that wont end in years

as for Carrick and Gerrard.
Rooney is our best striker and hes won everything but Torres hasnt won ZILCH
whos a better striker?
Torres by a billion miles

so that should answer your Carrick and Gerrard thingy smiley
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 2:43pm On May 14, 2009
ndumart:

@Sauron
Despite being a united fan, i will go for Gerrard over Carrick for many obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons?
Gerrard is not even a midfielder in Liverpool. He is a second striker.
He is not disciplined positionally and he gives balls away more than any player in Liverpool.

There's a reason Rafa's first choice midfielders are Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano.
As a midfielder, Carrick is > Gerrard by a country mile. . . . .
No team wins 3 back to back EPL titles and possibly 2 back to back UCL titles with a joke of a midfielder.
Some players are not media boys so u hardly see their faces on the news but they are super-effective(Carrick is one of such players).

As for Berba and Tev, Berba is class-act no doubt and his contributions are appreciated. However, methinks the average united fan prefers Tev to Berba. Berba has started more matches than Tev this season and as such is expected to have made more impact than Tev.

U can only see these things through stats.
For instance, in the 29 league games Berbatov has started this season, United have won 72 points.(2.48 points per game).
In the 7 league games he did not start, United copped just 14 points(2.00 points per game).
U can easily deduce we win more games with Berbatov on the pitch than anyone else. He gives more to the team than we give him credits for.

This time last season, with the Rooney/Ronaldo/Tevez partnership, we have scored more goals, individually and as a unit.
This season however, with the inclusion of Berba, we have lesser goals albeit more points. We even played better footie last season than this term.

But this time last season, we had to stretch to cross the finishing line.
Chelsea dragged us to the last day of the season before we won the Premiership.
Barcelona got us on the edge of our seats b4 we made it to Moscow.

Fans constantly moan that we score less goals with him in the team but fail to notice that we are way more effective in winning points.
You win the title if you win more points, not if you score more goals(Liverpool is a classic example this season).

Finally, whether a given signing has been a success or a flop is indicated not only by his individual stats but also by the results of the team.
With Berbatov we have improved our results in the league, job done in this respect. Hopefully, he can help the team in the CL final, too

These guys bring diff things to the team, berba brings composure and calmness, while Tev brings urgency and purposefulness.

Who has been more effective?
U can determine the number of points won by Man Utd in the games Tevez has started in comparison to the ones he hasn't started.
This information is not far-fetched. Berbatov wins by a country mile.

All in all , if SAF can keep those guys happy, no probs, buy making Tev the sacrificial lamb among the quartet is what i dont fancy.
Besides, why the delay in making his deal permanent?

Tevez will cost 32 million pounds and he hasn't done 50% of what Berba(30 million) has done this season.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by ndumart: 2:44pm On May 14, 2009
If Gerrard were to be in Man Utd, he would have won what Carrick has. If u add the goals Gerrard notches up in a season then u will know what that means to a team.Anyday, i would choose Gerrard over Carrick What G adds to a team, Carrick does not. Am sure all England coaches cant be that blind by choosing Gerrard/Lampard over Carrick. A fit Hargreaves is even better than Carrick.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 2:49pm On May 14, 2009
ndumart:

If Gerrard were to be in Man Utd, he would have won what Carrick has. If u add the goals Gerrard notches up in a season then u will know what that means to a team.Anyday, i would choose Gerrard over Carrick What G adds to a team, Carrick does not. Am sure all England coaches cant be that blind by choosing Gerrard/Lampard over Carrick. A fit Hargreaves is even better than Carrick.

U watch football but u don't understand the dynamics!!!
How many penalties and freak freekicks are in those goals he has scored this season?
Gerrard is the super player but stayed in Essien's pocket in the Champions League.
The same Essien Carrick has outfoxed times without number. U believe the media more than what u see.

Carrick is a billion times more effective than Gerrard in the midfield and Gerrard has no space in the United team.
I will have Rooney ahead of Gerrard and i will have Fletcher and Carrick(water carriers) in the United midfield than Stevie G.
Bleep his goals, Bleep his input.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Cristalz(f): 2:55pm On May 14, 2009
@TKB
 Honestly, there is nothing to argue on the matter. grin

Tevez is a harder worker than Berba.  .  .is it only Berba that plays deep? Tev runs everywhere, front, middle, back, and does his job. Berbatov is a very skilled player, but it's like he is miserly with his talents. We see flashes of genius less frequently than we expect. Of course he shouldn't be a magician in every game, but there are expectations of some players and he is capable, but he just isn't living up to them often enough.

Ball possession? Berba is one of our players that's kinda easy to dispossess. He only has to take 3 or 4 lanky steps before he is brought down. Probably why he became so skilled at one-touch passes. In fact I'm sure that's the reason why. More reason why he should be up front, not in the MF. In all our games, I don't think I've seen any formation where Fergie put Berba in MF, or put him in the hole. He is always in front. Yet during play, he keeps gravitating to the MF like Rafael keeps gravitating to the front line.
 Most of his goals occurred when he was in front of, or within the opponent's 18, so what does he keep looking for in MF? Fergie is not one to play someone where he knows that person is weak.
 Perhaps Berba prefers to roam like Rooney and Ronaldo do, but it's simply not his strength. He should remain in front where he is supposed to be.  .  .perhaps when he does, his productivity will increase. Play to your strengths and you will look like a god. He is better up there, so why doesn't he simply stay there?

With Berba on the pitch, we haven't conceded doesn't mean Berba is the reason for that. Abi is he now a defender and goalie too? With Park on the pitch, we haven't lost doesn't mean we can never lose with Park on the pitch. All that's superstition. grin  We didn't buy a midfielder when we bought Berba, we bought a striker, a forward.

Nobody has said Dimitar Berbatov is not a world class, skilled player, but he needs to put more heart in his game. His attitude is too relaxed, and there Tev beats him hands down. Like I said before, there are some games where you simply need grit and passion to win, and Tev more than brings that, whether he scores or not.
Jeez, you only have to watch them both to see the obvious. Tev does not have Berba's deftness, his one-touch magic, but with his own rugged style, he does what needs to be done. The car doesn't have to be a limo.  .  .so long as the engine is sound enough to get to the desired destination in good time.

Stats.  .  .those games that did not have Berba, who else was absent? No true analyst should base it all on a single player. Just like saying ''no Berba, no United''. If Berba, Rooney, and Park were absent from those games, where is the basis for attributing the results to the absence of Berba alone? Let's be real here. grin

When Park is a ball of energy on the pitch, he is awesome, but when Tev becomes that same ball of energy he is only running himself into the ground? Nice.
 Bottomline.  .  .Berba is classier, but Tev is a more passionate, harder worker. Give me the passionate, harder worker any day, and I can teach him some refined skills. grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by tkb417(m): 2:58pm On May 14, 2009
Carrick is a billion times more effective than Gerrard in the midfield and Gerrard has no space in the United team.
I will have Rooney ahead of Gerrard and i will have Fletcher and Carrick(water carriers) in the United midfield than Stevie G.
Bleep his goals, Bleep his input.
says who?
when Gerrard was playing in the center of the midfield, he was still the best Liverpool player.
For someone to be the most influential player in a team as strong as Pool, then he will walk into any team

The reason why Chelsea bought Essien was because they couldnt get Gerrard
Gerrard will always be any teams first option either in the mid or as a support striker

ask Capello or any other coach
U can ring SAF and ask if he wont sell Carrick for Gerrard grin

Cristalz
yes o, i dont like Tevez myself cos of the way he runs up and down but i think hes performed better than Berbatov our new midfield maestro.
The dude shld be auctioned to Osakka Reds in Japan grin
30 milla shocked shocked shocked Thats fraud between SAF and Levy
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by ndumart: 3:03pm On May 14, 2009
Gerrard won the Player of the year award.
Carrick was not even on the cards.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by emynem05(m): 3:04pm On May 14, 2009
na  wao hw u go dey compare the general steve G with small boy carrick.u no dey watch ball at alllll
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Ibime(m): 3:05pm On May 14, 2009
Cristalz:

Stats.  .  .those games that did not have Berba, who else was absent? No true analyst should base it all on a single player. Just like saying ''no Berba, no United''. If Berba, Rooney, and Park were absent from those games, wherei s the basis for attributing the results to the absence of Berba alone? Let's be real here. grin

Its called mutual exclusivity. . . . . Sauron's brain cells are missing. . . .

Fact remains that Berba is classy but hasn't lived up to his price tag. . . . however, that is no excuse to go and waste another £30m on Tevez. . . . Tevez has regressed irreperably from the days when he twice won South American player of the year. . . . too much gra-gra in his game, not enough class. . . . Wayne Rooney on the other hand is a classy fella with the ability to dig a cross from a standing start. . . . . as for Tevez, it is not worth spending all that money on a depreciating asset. . . . depreciating because he has already announced his intention to move back to Argentina when he is 28/29, meaning there's no resale value. . . . for the same £30m, United can do better abeg.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Cristalz(f): 3:19pm On May 14, 2009
True, 32 mil is way overboard, and Tev might be depreciating, but for now, hez still got it. He can be refined.  .  .( I believe in Fergie's miracles,lol) , but that kind of passionate play, you don't see everyday.

What do y'all think killed Chelsea in the days of Scolari? Flatness. Total lack of passion. They had all that cash and all that skill on the pitch, but were there any results?
  Imagine a team filled with 11 classy players with Berbatov's kind of attitude. grin Will their opponents wait till the Berbatov-like players each feel like scoring before they put their own goals in? Berba is all that, but he should put a little more heart into is, is all. Granted, he is better now than when he first came (he didn't even want to get his shorts dirty grin), but a little bit more effort won't hurt.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 3:34pm On May 14, 2009
Ibime:

Its called mutual exclusivity. . . . . Sauron's brain cells are missing. . . .

U are a consummate idiot.

Every argument and every opinion is based ultimately on facts. And the most relevant facts are revealed by stats.

If a given keeper concedes 2-3 goals per game, he wouldn't be considered world class even if he makes some fantastic saves. If a given midfileder scores a lot of goals, he will be very highly regarded. If a given team wins the most important trophies, it is the best team etc etc.

No sound opinions without facts, no sound facts without stats.
End of!!!

ndumart:

Gerrard won the Player of the year award.
Carrick was not even on the cards.

This statement has only helped ma point.
Gerrard wins these awards because he is a media LovePeddler.
In games Gerrard did shat, he would cop the man of the match. . . . .  .and reh reh reh.
What makes United better than Chelsea, Liverpool and Real Madrid is because we have players who are water-carriers and work very hard without necessarily arousing media attention. Why are we all begging UEFA to let Darren fucking Fletcher play in Rome??

tkb417:

says who?
when Gerrard was playing in the center of the midfield, he was still the best Liverpool player.
For someone to be the most influential player in a team as strong as Pool, then he will walk into any team

When Gerrard was playing as a midfielder, Liverpool were finishing 20-35 points below the league leaders season in season out.
Rafa studied the problem and realised Gerrard was a waste of space in the midfield. He had nowhere to accomodate Gerrard cos he realised Alonso and Mascherano provide more cover to Liverpool's defence than Gerrard.

Gerrard was moved everywhere. . . . . .Right midfielder, Left midfielder and he offered no cover to Liverpool's wing-backs.
Then Rafa moved him as a second striker where(if he loses the ball, he would not hurt Liverpool as much as it would if Gerrard was in the midfield).
There are stats, chalkboards and prozone schitzo monitoring player's performances now and it has shown Gerrard is a waste as a midfielder.
He makes the headlines cos like David Beckham, he is a media boy.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Ibime(m): 3:37pm On May 14, 2009
~Sauron~:

U are a consummate idiot.

grin grin grin

~Sauron~:

No sound opinions without facts, no sound facts without stats.
End of!!!.

I thought you said stats are like miniskirts grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 3:42pm On May 14, 2009
Ibime:

I thought you said stats are like miniskirts grin

They are miniskirts but it still gives an idea of what is on ground.

I am sick n tired of fans saying Berbatov is a lazy git.
He has improved Man Utd in huge proportions. . . . . . .The attack has more fluidity with a high ball retention percentage.
Berbatov rarely gives the ball away. . . . .He makes more interceptions, tackles than Rooney, Ronaldo and Carlos Alberto Tevez.
These facts are not far-fetched.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Cristalz(f): 3:44pm On May 14, 2009
Who compiles 'em stats? Humans who are prone to errors. If it was God, I would believe in them a hundred percent. grin

If every gaffer went for players based on stats alone, a lot of the big names of today would still be in their former little clubs. A lot has to do with what you see with your two naked eyes on a frequent basis. Simple facts.

So if the stats say Ronaldo was poor in 2 consecutive games, does it make him any less a world class player? Stats are not always all that. You can't make an overall conclusion based on just stats. It's like not trusting your own ability to interpret moves, a game.  .  .like not trusting what your brain is telling you, not thinking for yourself.

Oh.  .  .and, Berbatov tackles? As in, for real? When? grin grin Lemme not even get to the ''more than Rooney'' part. grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 3:57pm On May 14, 2009
Cristalz:

Who compiles 'em stats? Humans who are prone to errors. If it was God, I would believe in them a hundred percent. grin

Computer provides the stats. . . . .Human beings sit down, watch a game time after time and record tackles, ,mileage and efforts.
Sir Alex has told the media he now uses computer analysis to select his team time after time.
There's a reason Berbatov is preferred to Tevez. That single reason is EFFECTIVENESS.
Running around like a headless chicken is not enough to cop 32 million pounds.

If every gaffer went for players based on stats alone, a lot of the big names of today would still be in their former little clubs. A lot has to do with what you see with your two naked eyes on a frequent basis. Simple facts.

Ferguson has made rotation his forte, using a combination of computer analysis and his judgment.
He has used 34 players this season, with Ronaldo, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic the only outfield players to have started 40 or more games
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0513/1224246387300.html

So if the stats say Ronaldo was poor in 2 consecutive games, does it make him any less a world class player? Stats are not always all that. You can't make an overall conclusion based on just stats.

If the stats say Ronaldo was poor. . . . .That means he has contributed no goals, no goal assists, doesn't tackle, doesn't intercept, etc.
Ronaldo's inclusion into the team would be limited and will fade into oblivion.

Oh.  .  .and, Berbatov tackles? As in, for real? When? grin grin Lemme not even get to the ''more than Rooney'' part. grin

Berbatov tackles more than any United striker.
The stats are there to prove it.

Tackles Attempted
Success %
Interceptions

Darren Fletcher
75,0%

Dimitar Berbatov
86,4%

Wayne Rooney
80,0%

Carlos Tevez
75,0%
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 14, 2009
Stats.
That's what they are.
interprete them anyway you want.

The general consensus was that berba was bought to score goals.He hardy ventures in to the vital area.

don't know which tackles you're talking about.i'm sure Sauron doesn't believe that same stat.
Tackles?Please spare me.More than the defence?Jack.
the spoon can't tackle to save his alice band from falling from his mop-head.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by mukina2: 4:01pm On May 14, 2009
Cristalz 5 Sharon 2

game on grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by tkb417(m): 4:02pm On May 14, 2009
Stats.
That's what they are.

The general consensus was that berba was bought to score goals.He hardy ventures in to the vital error.

don't know which tackles you're talking about.i'm sure Sauron doesn't believe that same stat.
when did he become Djemba Djemba?
we didnt buy him to intercept and tackle abeg

let him put the ball in the net
even Vida is more prolific than Berba grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 4:05pm On May 14, 2009
Eastbay:

Stats.
That's what they are.
The general consensus was that berba was bought to score goals.He hardy ventures in to the vital area.

Show us where Fergie said he is buying Berbatov to score 40 goals a season.
How prolific was Berbatov at SPURS to score 40 goals a season in a team like United with players like Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez?
Ferguson said he is buying Berbatov to improve the squad. Has Berbatov done that? YES YES YES, he has.

won tackles and intercepted attacks per start:

Berbatov 0,82 won tackles, 1,21 intercepted attacks
Rooney 0,44 won tackles, 1,16 intercepted attacks
Tevez 0,46 won tackles, 0,38 intercepted attacks

Berbatov won 59 fouls in the league vs 16 for Rooney.
Per start this means: Berbatov has won 2 fouls per game, Rooney - 0,6.
Berbatov has won for us nearly three times more fouls than Rooney and some fans still believe BERBATOV IS LAZY.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Ibime(m): 4:09pm On May 14, 2009
~Sauron~:

Tackles Attempted
Success %
Interceptions

Darren Fletcher
75,0%

Dimitar Berbatov
86,4%

Wayne Rooney
80,0%

Carlos Tevez
75,0%

Same reason Mark Viduka and Kanu make more tackles than Tevez and Rooney. . . . Rooney and Tevez always look for space, away from defenders. . . . .Berba, Kanu, Viduka and players of that ilk like to occupy central ground where there are many defenders so that they can draw players toward them and beat players with sublime pieces of control and take pressure away from teammates. . . . players who play with their back to goal (Berba) would always make more tackles than those who run the channels. . . . imagine a long ball from Vidic to Berbatov. . . . Berba controls the ball under pressure, but opposing defender gets a foot in. . . . Berba, because he is in close proximity gets a tackle in and wins the ball back. . . . hence he make more tackles. . . . Rooney and Tevez on the other hand have to chase a full-back 30 metres down the line just to make a tackle. . . .
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 4:12pm On May 14, 2009
Ibime:

Same reason Mark Viduka and Kanu make more tackles than Tevez and Rooney. . . . Rooney and Tevez always look for space, away from defenders. . . . .Berba, Kanu, Viduka and players of that ilk like to occupy central ground where there are many defenders so that they can draw players toward them and beat players with sublime pieces of control and take pressure away from teammates. . . . players who play with their back to goal (Berba) would always make more tackles than those who run the channels. . . . imagine a long ball from Vidic to Berbatov. . . . Berba controls the ball under pressure, but opposing defender gets a foot in. . . . Berba, because he is in close proximity gets a tackle in and wins the ball back. . . . hence he make more tackles. . . . Rooney and Tevez on the other hand have to chase a full-back 30 metres down the line just to make a tackle. . . .

But the general belief is that Berbatov is lazy and contributes nada to Man Utd.
He has beaten Rooney-Tevez in every stats available.
Berbatov is a better player than Tevez by a billion miles.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by presido1: 4:20pm On May 14, 2009
Carrick and Gerrard? they have no comparism at all. If SG is in Man United Carrick will only start the Carling Cup matches. For the fact that he has won more valueable trophies than SG does not make him a better MF or all round player than SG.
Tbk's post about Rooney and Torres says it all.

~Sauron~:

But the general belief is that Berbatov is lazy and contributes nada to Man Utd.
He has beaten Rooney-Tevez in every stats available.
Berbatov is a better player than Tevez by a billion miles.
Will chose Barba over Rooney cus of that stat?
Barba need to do more next season, as for this season he failed everybody which he himself is away of.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Emperoh(m): 4:24pm On May 14, 2009
I need the two of them in my team.

Berba was bought at a time we needed a 9 but we ended up with an 8(semi midfielder) in Berba
I guess SAF has his reasons. . . . . my own is, Tevez's goals are as important as Berba's assists
Berba brings calmness to your team while Tevez hustles. . . .i love the mixture of both. . . . . .versatility is the name of the game.

There is only one reason why i don't want Tevez to leave, he has scored vital goals for Man UTD.
versus Porto this season
Versus Lyon last season
Versus Wigan last nite and a whole lot of others.

There is also a reason why i want him to leave, £33m quid is damn too much!!

There is also a reason why i don't want Berba to go; its not on the table though
He is a skillfull player and one moment of brillance can change it all. I love watching his ball control! O na enye m joy! grin grin

There is equally a reason why i prefer Tevez to Berbatov;
You can't trust Berba to bail Man Utd out of a bad situ!!

All in all, both are good, versatile and have their style. They are needed in MAN U
None of the two, will be missed. I am indifferent in the case.
But i want Fergie to give him a contract Tevez!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Champions Of England! by Sauron1: 4:31pm On May 14, 2009
presido1:

Carrick and Gerrard? they have no comparism at all. If SG is in Man United Carrick will only start the Carling Cup matches. For the fact that he has won more valueable trophies than SG does not make him a better MF or all round player than SG.

So where would Gerrard fit in the present Man Utd squad?
Think carefully before you answer this question grin grin
I am 1000% confident Gerrard will not play in a 2-man midfield of Man Utd.
He is technically inept to play in there and United will finish 40 points below Chelsea or Arsenal every season.

Tbk's post about Rooney and Torres says it all.

Torres. . . . .Out n out striker a la Van Nistelrooy, Santa Cruz, Luiz Ronaldo, Huntelaar, Yekini
Rooney. . . .2nd striker a la Dennis Bergkamp, Arshavin(Russia), Gerrard(presently).
U must not compare Rooney to Torres. They play different roles.
Rooney has never been an out n out striker.

Will chose Barba over Rooney cus of that stat?
Barba need to do more next season, as for this season he failed everybody which he himself is away of.

Why not?
If United can find somebody else to do the job of Rooney on the pitch, i would prefer Berbatov.
He brings something different to the table. Having Rooney and Tevez in our team is a surplus to requirement.
Headless chicken runs don't impress me. . . . . . .I will have Carrick ahead of Mascherano or Alex Song.

Silent assassins bring more to the table than the naked eye can comprehend.
Go to Guardian's chalkboard and check every match Rooney and Berba have both featured together.
Berbatov has won more tackles, drew more fouls and make more interceptions than Rooney, Tevez and even Ronaldo but he is still LAZY!! undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (100)

Arsenal Vs Chelsea : FA Community Shield (1 - 0) On 2nd August 2015 / Jose Mourinho Sacked As Chelsea Manager / Manchester United Vs Chelsea (2 - 0) On 16th April 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.