Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,732 members, 7,955,783 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:02 PM

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] (10894 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by abram10: 12:34pm On Dec 07, 2015
#Following
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Oxytocin(m): 1:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
Hello guyz..ans this, you could pick more than one ans, buh give a convincing proof.

This group covers all subjects, but we are currently............ English
A. Engaged in
B. Engaged to
C. Engaging in
D. Engaging to
E. Engaging with.
F. Engaged at
G. Engaged with
H. Engaging at

wink
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 1:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
Oxytocin:
Hello guyz..ans this, you could pick more than one ans, buh give a convincing proof.

This group covers all subjects, but we are currently............ English
A. Engaged in
B. Engaged to
C. Engaging in .... currently means "now"... Engaging means "happening now" ... So, they collocate lipsrsealed
D. Engaging to
E. Engaging with.
F. Engaged at
G. Engaged with
H. Engaging at

wink

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by muhamadnur: 12:31pm On Jan 01, 2016
mehn have to admit that this english tutor is dead when compared to other,s.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by prahcetomi(m): 2:21pm On Jan 01, 2016
C
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by JOACHINpedro: 6:38pm On Jan 02, 2016
Had to comment... New year celebration is over, i would like us to continue with the tutor because i believe it wil be of help to many jambites here(i'm also included)..more over "NO KNOWLEDGE IS A WASTE"..so i am appealin on behalf of all jambites... U guys should continue... My own contribution here is 4 u jambites to buy FELLAR 909 it's a good book 4 preparation..
FOLLOWING
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:05am On Jan 27, 2016
how come no one is willing to tutor us here; Is english that hard?

Or is it all of us that is too busy?

Abeg, post questions: comprehension passages and questions, lexis and structure questions, oral english questions and so on.
Although i'm also still learning, I should be able to help out.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 27, 2016
Geofavor:
how come no one is willing to tutor us here; Is english that hard?

Or is it all of us that is too busy?

Abeg, post questions: comprehension passages and questions, lexis and structure questions, oral english questions and so on.
Although i'm also still learning, I should be able to help out.
bros, u don cover ur syllabus for chemistry?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 11:12am On Jan 27, 2016
bigneorapz:
bros, u don cover ur syllabus for chemistry?
lolol. I haven't o. Some health issues put me really down. Hopefully, i'll cover up enough before the second week of next month.

But why do you ask? grin do you feel that one must conclude chemistry before english?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
Geofavor:

lolol. I haven't o. Some health issues put me really down. Hopefully, i'll cover up enough before the second week of next month.

But why do you ask? grin do you feel that one must conclude chemistry before english?
lol..omoh chemistry dey take time to grab la..so one gats really focus on dat one first before him jump enta d easy one. But apart from dat i bin just ask cos na u dey motivate me to read o..hw about physics la? cheesy
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 2:16pm On Jan 27, 2016
bigneorapz:
lol..omoh chemistry dey take time to grab la..so one gats really focus on dat one first before him jump enta d easy one.
please this approach may turn out to be costly. I'd advice you either study both the hard and the easy subjects concurrently OR you study and finish up the easy ones first.

Why?

Because if you decide to read up a subject that takes an enormous amount of your time before an easy one, the subject(s) might consume all the time you have and leave you with no time to study minor ones which won't take much time.

But apart from dat i bin just ask cos na u dey motivate me to read o..
cheesy cheesy

hw about physics la? cheesy
i'm not done yet.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Oxytocin(m): 2:22pm On Jan 27, 2016
ORDER OF ADJECTIVES
The use of adjectives is essential when
trying to describe a noun or pronoun.
Good writers and speakers are able to use
adjectives to create clear, mental images
for the reader or listener. As you
continue to work on your English, don’t be
afraid to use multiple adjectives to
describe something. Using more than
three physically descriptive type
adjectives in sequence to describe one
noun or pronoun would sound a little
awkward. When using multiple
adjectives in a sequence, you must be
aware of the correct adjective order. The
proper order of adjectives is listed below
along with some examples for each
category.
1. Determiners – a, an, the, my, your,
several, etc.
2. Observations – lovely, boring,
stimulating, etc.
3. Size – tiny, small, huge, etc.
4. Shape – round, square, rectangular, etc.
5. Age – old, new, ancient, etc.
6. Color – red, blue, green, etc.
7. Origin – British, American, Mexican, etc.
8. Material – gold, copper, silk, etc.
9. Qualifier – limiters for compound nouns.
Here are some examples:
"The interesting, small, rectangular, blue
car is parked in my space."
"I bought a beautiful, long, red, Italian,
silk tie."
"My father lives in a lovely, gigantic,
ancient, brick house."
"I have an annoying, small, circular,
American, tin, alarm clock that wakes me
up."
"Let’s order a delicious, huge, rectangular,
pepperoni pizza."
"We all love our smart, petite, British
teacher."
"They all received several dazzling, small,
ancient, gold coins."
"She owns a stunning, large, old, brown
dog named Boris."

My 2 cents

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2016
Geofavor:
please this approach may turn out to be costly. I'd advice you either study both the hard and the easy subjects concurrently OR you study and finish up the easy ones first.

Why?

Because if you decide to read up a subject that takes an enormous amount of your time before an easy one, the subject(s) might consume all the time you have and leave you with no time to study minor ones which won't take much time.

cheesy cheesy

i'm not done yet.
u right bro..but i intend studyin english 2weeks before the exams..though i did study part of it last month..so itz notin. My main concern now is physics n chemistry..as for math, na the lord jesus go come down come write that one gimme includin the calculations in physics..lol cheesy
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Interesting15: 7:03pm On Jan 27, 2016
We need to talk about the oral part. Those vowels and consonants sounds.

Who is good with that?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 27, 2016
ls who knows where I can download d PDF version of last days of high skul forcadoes
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by slimmybaarbie(f): 9:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
embarassed
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by slimmybaarbie(f): 9:49pm On Jan 27, 2016
derrick015:
ls who knows where I can download d PDF
version of last days of high skul forcadoes

I don't think you can get it, why don't you just read the book?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:41am On Jan 28, 2016
Interesting15:

Who is good with that?
I am.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:44am On Jan 28, 2016
bigneorapz:
u right bro..but i intend studyin english 2weeks before the exams..though i did study part of it last month..so itz notin. My main concern now is physics n chemistry..as for math, na the lord jesus go come down come write that one gimme includin the calculations in physics..lol cheesy
if this works for you, no problem. I hope you know you also have to get yourself acquainted with all the past questions before the exam?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:49am On Jan 28, 2016
Oxytocin, nice work. I think you skipped one: the ORDINATORS like, First, fifth, one, four, etc. which should be after the determiners.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Interesting15: 7:54am On Jan 28, 2016
Geofavor:

I am.
Wow. That stuff keeps giving me some mild headache. Please teach us brother.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:03am On Jan 28, 2016
Interesting15:

Wow. That stuff keeps giving me some mild headache. Please teach us brother.
alright. Coming up shortly...
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Oxytocin(m): 9:01am On Jan 28, 2016
Geofavor:
Oxytocin, nice work. I think you skipped one: the ORDINATORS like, First, fifth, one, four, etc. which should be after the determiners.
Ohh.... Okk
Nice one
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 10:06am On Jan 28, 2016
The English language is spoken with the VOWEL AND CONSONANT SOUNDS.

VOWEL SOUNDS

these are subdivided into three: monpthongs, dipthongs and tripthongs. However, jamb doesn't go beyond monpthongs and dipthongs.

Monothongs
these are vowel sounds consisting of just one sound. there are 12 of them:

note: the capped letters constitute the sound in question.

1) /i/ --- pronounced "e." e.g hIt, rIg, wOmEn, etc.

2) /i: / --- "ee" (as in, the same sound as the above but longer). E.g fILm, rEAd, grEEd, plEAse, suIte etc.

3) /ae/ ---- pronounced as if you're pronouncing "ah" and "eh" together. E.g rAm, bAn, crAp, etc.

4) /^/ --- "ah" pronounced quickly. --- e.g cOme, cUt, sOn, sUn.. Etc.

5) /a: / --- "aaah" -- e.g pARk, shARk, pALm, etc.

6) /e/ ---- "eh" -- e.g fEtch, nEt, mEg, etc.

7) /u/ --- "oo" -- e.g tOOk, fUll, put, etc.

cool /u: / --- "ooo" (the same as the above but longer) e.g fOOl, rUle, pOO, sUE, rUin, etc.

9) / 3: / --- pronounced as if you're pronouncing "eh" and "or" together. E.g flIRt, vERse, gIRl, hURt, scOURge, wORd, nURse, wORld. Etc.

To be continued... Holler if you're following

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 28, 2016
Geofavor:

if this works for you, no problem. I hope you know you also have to get yourself acquainted with all the past questions before the exam?
yea, almost done with chemistry which i started frm 2000. Now am in 2011. Will look into physics when am done. But like how many percent of the past questions wil likely repeat itslf again in the cbt exams? Cos i hate wastin my time on irrelevant things
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 2:03pm On Jan 28, 2016
bigneorapz:
yea, almost done with chemistry which i started frm 2000. Now am in 2011. Will look into physics when am done. But like how many percent of the past questions wil likely repeat itslf again in the cbt exams? Cos i hate wastin my time on irrelevant things
cheesycheesy... 2000 - 2011 is not enough na grin

You should answer every question set since the inception of the exam. Questions aren't repeated word for word. The repeated ones are slightly changed. So, you have to have understood the concept behind such questions in order to solve them in seconds.

You can't guess the particular years where questions will be picked from and modified. So, it is advised that students study every year of the past questions.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jan 28, 2016
Geofavor:

cheesycheesy... 2000 - 2011 is not enough na grin

You should answer every question set since the inception of the exam. Questions aren't repeated word for word. The repeated ones are slightly changed. So, you have to have understood the concept behind such questions in order to solve them in seconds.

You can't guess the particular years where questions will be picked from and modified. So, it is advised that students study every year of the past questions.
omoh i no get that kind time to study the past questions from the onset. I even try as i start from 2000 to 2011 self. Anyhw e be i go still pass my jamb wella
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Interesting15: 4:46pm On Jan 28, 2016
Geofavor:
The English language is spoken with the VOWEL AND CONSONANT SOUNDS.

VOWEL SOUNDS

these are subdivided into three: monpthongs, dipthongs and tripthongs. However, jamb doesn't go beyond monpthongs and dipthongs.

Monothongs
these are vowel sounds consisting of just one sound. there are 12 of them:

note: the capped letters constitute the sound in question.

1) /i/ --- pronounced "e." e.g hIt, rIg, wOmEn, etc.

2) /i: / --- "ee" (as in, the same sound as the above but longer). E.g fILm, rEAd, grEEd, plEAse, suIte etc.

3) /ae/ ---- pronounced as if you're pronouncing "ah" and "eh" together. E.g rAm, bAn, crAp, etc.

4) /^/ --- "ah" pronounced quickly. --- e.g cOme, cUt, sOn, sUn.. Etc.

5) /a: / --- "aaah" -- e.g pARk, shARk, pALm, etc.

6) /e/ ---- "eh" -- e.g fEtch, nEt, mEg, etc.

7) /u/ --- "oo" -- e.g tOOk, fUll, put, etc.

cool /u: / --- "ooo" (the same as the above but longer) e.g fOOl, rUle, pOO, sUE, rUin, etc.

9) / 3: / --- pronounced as if you're pronouncing "eh" and "or" together. E.g flIRt, vERse, gIRl, hURt, scOURge, wORd, nURse, wORld. Etc.

To be continued... Holler if you're following

Following!
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 28, 2016
Interesting15:

Who is good with that?
this is the only thing that is hook in me in English sad
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by Geofavor(m): 9:17pm On Jan 30, 2016
Sorry for the delay.

10) /ɔ/ or /ɒ/ --- pronounced quickly as "or" ---- e.g rOt, mOb, wAtch, etc

11 /ɔ: / --- "aawwww"( as in, the same as the above but longer). E.g fOUght, tAUght, spORt, wARm, wAter, dOOR, crAWl, tALk, gnAW, pOUR, glOry, stOry, etc smiley

12 /ə/: hmm, this sound is tricky. It is called the schwa sound. It is weak and shot. It occurs at the unstressed syllable(s) of words. You pronounce it like you don't want to pronounce it. Funny, right? E.g colOUr, famOUs, VenUs, sUpply, teachER, gEnrE, doctOR, aprIl, pencIl, anUs, augUst, gudgEOn, cougAR, Alone, About, etc.

Any questions?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] by glimpse33(m): 9:53pm On Jan 30, 2016
@Geofavor
Ride On Bruh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yobe Employs 35 Professors From India, Philippines For University / 108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria / Federal University Oye Ekiti 2014/2015 Admission Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.