Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ (1325 Views)

Ekiti Crisis: Fayose Sacks Perm Sec / Ekiti Crisis: APC Lawmakers Gives Terms For Truce / EKITI CRISIS: Fayose; Another ‘idi Amin Of Uganda’ – Femi Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by naijamini(m): 2:41am On May 04, 2009
To all who love Nigeria,

The drumbeats have started again.

Reminds you of how some Israelites in the wildnerness, at the first sign of hardship on the journey to the promised land, wished they had remained in Egypt with "pots of meat". In short order they had forgotten the entire nation was held as slaves under brutal inhumane treatment!

In Nigeria's case, this faithless section of society have succeeded in turning us back to the slavery of military rule again and again over the last 49 years. It is time we say it loud and clear. There is NO EARTHLY or HEAVENLY reason to justify returning our nation to military rule.

Nigerians must begin to think and act the true nation we desire. A true nation may not come to us in 1, 2 or even 10 civilian administrations, but we must keep working at it. It took 40 years for the Israelites to find their way to the promised land, but having that knowledge at the time of the wilderness rebellion would not have justified returning to slavery. For a modern example, we only need to look at the world's largest democracy, India. The violence that has accompanied rulership in that country since Independence in 1947 is immeasurable, but they kept at it. The fruits of maintaining an "acceptable" system of government is beginning to show. Like Nigeria, there is poverty among the billion or so population, religious/political upheaval is not uncommon, and they are at daggers-drawn with many of their neighbors. However, they have also developed science & technology, education, a respectable military, the arts and a global reputation that is the envy of many other nations. The SINGULAR reason we cannot say the latter for Nigeria is the unending interruption of democratic rule.

I propose a basic test of patriotism: "NO SUPPORT FOR MILITARY RULE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES."

We simply need to begin repairing our national psyche by COMPLETELY REMOVING THE MILITARY RULE from our options for achieving true nationhood. I do not doubt the intentions of Mr. Joseph Ambakederemo, but what he should be doing is warn military adventurists not to destabilize our democracy under any circumstances. He needs to express his faith in our collective strength to resolve the situation peacefully, and organize his group towards that end.

Enough said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>See Full Article Below

Nigerian Tribune: Sylvester Idowu, Warri - 04.05.2009

THE national coor dinator of All Nige ria Youth Alliance (ANYC), Mr. Joseph Ambakederemo, on Sunday described the political situation in Ekiti State as “a clear invitation for a military coup in the country.”

He, therefore, urged President Umaru Yar’Adua to intervene. Mr. Ambakederemo, who was also the national coordinator of the South-South Elements Progressive Union, while speaking with newsmen in Warri, Delta State, expressed fear that the Ekiti political crisis, if not properly handled, could lead to a military take over.

He warned that the president must act fast before the situation “consumed all of us,” adding that “the political situation in Ekiti is a clear invitation for a military coup because I am sure that every right-thinking Nigerian is not happy with this situation.

“Even members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), I am sure, are not happy with the situation and they should call themselves to order.”

The youth leader advised the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to declare whoever won the rerun so as to move the state and the country to the next level.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by Nobody: 3:14am On May 04, 2009
Nobody wants Military Rule in Nigeria

But Military coups strives in the midst of confussion

perpetual rigging can only breed confussion

The fundamental advantage of democracy is the right to choose your leaders. if we are through rigging denied that right then there is no justification for democracy.

In fact i beg to argue that men who have come through the ranks of the army and brave enough to plot a coup have more justification to lead than Civilian thieves who use guns and thugs to rob the people the right to choose their own leaders.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by Nobody: 8:22am On May 04, 2009
mikeansy:

Nobody wants Military Rule in Nigeria

But Military coups strives in the midst of confussion

perpetual rigging can only breed confussion

The fundamental advantage of democracy is the right to choose your leaders. if we are through rigging denied that right then there is no justification for democracy.

In fact i beg to argue that men who have come through the ranks of the army and brave enough to plot a coup have more justification to lead than Civilian thieves who use guns and thugs to rob the people the right to choose their own leaders.

now that's an irresponsible argument sad sad there's no justification for military rule.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by ElRazur: 9:12am On May 04, 2009
^^ Given the current state of Nigeria, some would argue that a military intervention may be necessary. If people do not want one, let them fix up.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by chikeobi(m): 10:14am On May 04, 2009
ziddy:

now that's an irresponsible argument sad sad there's no justification for military rule.
Whatz the diff from what we have now and military rule? We did not elect them so i don't see any diff.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by naijamini(m): 3:11pm On May 04, 2009
Many are still missing the point. The deterioration in our civilian administration between 1960 and now is precisely because the military would not allow us to go through the birth pains of a true nation.

To use another metaphor, military rule is like shoving a baby back into the mother's womb and closing her up because she is having birth pains, then waiting until the pain stops to have her try again. The kid cannot stay permanently in the womb and closing in the baby could eventually kill the mother -- exactly like military rule (more corrupt than the most corrupt civilian administration you can find).

Unlike modern medicine, there are no C-sections to avoid the birth pains of nationhood. Planning a coup is no more courageous than the courage of those blowing themselves and other people up in furtherance of some cause.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 04, 2009
naijamini:

Many are still missing the point. T[b]he deterioration in our civilian administration between 1960 and now is precisely because the military would not allow us to go through the birth pains of a true nation[/b].

To use another metaphor, military rule is like shoving a baby back into the mother's womb and closing her up because she is having birth pains, then waiting until the pain stops to have her try again. The kid cannot stay permanently in the womb and closing in the baby could eventually kill the mother -- exactly like military rule (more corrupt than the most corrupt civilian administration you can find).

Unlike modern medicine, there are no C-sections to avoid the birth pains of nationhood. Planning a coup is no more courageous than the courage of those blowing themselves and other people up in furtherance of some cause.

this is brilliantly, eloquently put.

@ElRazur hope you're reading this. Soldiers and policemen are still killing innocent civillians in broad daylight and going scot free because the military were able to deny us of virtually all our rights as human beings, under the guise of military rule. I'm surprised that otherwise sane Nigerians can actually advocate a return to the barbarity of those days. There's no excuse for military rule.

Please dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. God bless Nigeria o.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by ElRazur: 4:46pm On May 04, 2009
Yes I am reading. He's got a point I must admit. smiley
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 04, 2009
Folks draw any analogy you like what is the point.

The reason the PDP is taking us for a ride is because they have a blank cheque. The people will not revolt and will not encourage someone else to revolt in the face of opression. Suffering and smiling.

If the PDP appreciate that what they do will only seek to destroy us all. . . . they will appreciate the importance of civility.

What is the point, now they are using security forces to guard Adebayo to do the will of the PDP. If u dont like it go to court, where the PDP will eventually win after bribing judges.

I think the fear of the unknown leads people to do things right, but when we tell PDP carry on mis-ruling us afterall "the worst civilian Government is better than the best Military Government" then they will keep mis-ruling us till thy kingdom come.

So I think that since Nigerian people are not used to protesting their right, I think its necessary to remind this fools in Aso Rock who are destroying the fabrics of democracy that there actions is capable of encouraging a military coup.

Those of us who remind them the dangers of destroying democracy are not calling for Military takeover anymore than a President who instructs the INEC chairman to compile results that are totally alien to the people's vote, uses the Nigerian police to carry this clandestine motive and intimidate every desenting voices and then goes ahead to bribe the Judges to confirm their election when the case is brought to court.

What is exactly is the point ?
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by naijamini(m): 5:13pm On May 04, 2009
Mikeansy,

The point is that with military rule we have no options, while under the worst civilian rule there is always the hope that we can get rid of them in the next election, no matter how sham it may be. We have the option of organizing groups, we have the option of courts, we have options, What is more, military rule will always seek to return to civilian rule, but rather than clean the system, it destroys both the foundation of democratic rule while behaving FAR WORSE than the overthrown civilian administration.

In my original note it is stated:
"I do not doubt the intentions of Mr. Joseph Ambakederemo, but what he should be doing is warn military adventurists not to destabilize our democracy under any circumstances. He needs to express his faith in our collective strength to resolve the situation peacefully, and organize his group towards that end."

What we need to do is take advantage of the options we have under democratic rule to make the system more whole. I suffer no illusions, we are far from what could be called a nation, but the chance to make that happen exists ONLY under "democratic" rule. The option is absent under military rule.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 04, 2009
Reform and freedom will not come as a gift from PDP to Nigeria. People have to demand it.

I do not wish a Military takeover, but I will not hesitate to always remind those who destroy the fabrics of democracy the dangers of rigging.

I don't think I need any lectures about the difference between Military and Civilian rule.

But the idea that its ok for the PDP to rig elections and then the rest of us will now go to court for our votes to be recognised is akeen to what Barack Obama describes as they writting the cheque and we getting stuck with the bill.

We do not have to give the PDP a blank cheque . . . . . they need to remember that they invite Anarchy and sow the seeds of destruction when they rig.
Re: ‘ekiti Crisis, Invitation For Military Coup’ by Fhemmmy: 5:25pm On May 04, 2009
Military rule cos of Ekiti's rubbish?
It is not possible.

(1) (Reply)

Reps Panels Okay $500m Credit Facility - / I Want Nigeria To Comment On Activities Of Cooperative Societies / Soyinka - Why I Stopped Visiting Obasanjo In Aso Villa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.