Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken (45603 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Tamakay(m): 12:28pm On Oct 24, 2015
Lagrage:
I love Ijaws a lot.. But they can be aggresive at times. Dem nor dey gree for argument. To me thats their character flaw but apart from that they are very loving,respectful and homely

Beauty sister may God bless u abundantly

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by crazygod(m): 12:29pm On Oct 24, 2015
I rep Arogbo Ijaw. We've got a rich culture. I wish i can speak my language tho.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by HopeAtHand: 12:30pm On Oct 24, 2015
Frathermarthy, stop deceving yourself, Ijaws are never the fourth largest tribe in Nigeria.

Mods please close down this thread for falsehood.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by kostadinis: 12:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
Eastern Ijaw Dialects
16. Kalabari Dialect (Spoken in Degema, Asari-Toru and Akuku-Toru LGAs of Rivers State). It is not understood by most Ijaw speakers and it is considered as a language of its own by most.
17. Okrika Dialect (Spoken in Okrika LGA of Rivers State). It is also deep and hard. This is where the former First Lady, Patience Jonathan hails from.
18. Ibani Dialect (Spoken in Bonny LGA of Rivers State). It is ostracised and extremely deep. It is also deemed as a language of its own by most.
22. Ogbia Dialect (Spoken in Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa State). This dialect is completely incomprehensible to other Ijaw speakers

It does mean that GEJ from Ogbia for example would not be able to discuss with Asari Dokubo from Kalabari in any lingual medium than English.

This is unlike the Igboid group where those who had chosen to stick with their local dialects would naturally understand the central Igbo. An old woman from Ukwuani, Ikwerre or Agbor would not need an interpreter buying her wares at an Onitsha or Enugu market.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by hamzeiy: 12:32pm On Oct 24, 2015
Lagrage:
I love Ijaws a lot.. But they can be aggresive at times. Dem nor dey gree for argument. To me thats their character flaw but apart from that they are very loving,respectful and homely
yeah..they are accomodating ..but aggresive..they are by far better than the biafroids in manners and integrity..though they love money but they have limits...the great riverine men..a typical ijaw knows the secret of water ways...as a northerner i dont have a problem giving the niger deltans 50% of their resources while the rest of the country manages the remaining and everybody should go explore his or her region but either it is 50 or 100% they lack leaders that are ready to put the money into good use..i guess its a common nigerian problem

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 12:33pm On Oct 24, 2015
kostadinis:

It does mean that GEJ from Ogbia for example would not be able to discuss with Asari Dokubo from Kalabari in any lingual medium than English.

This is unlike the Igboid group where those who had chosen to stick with their local dialects would naturally understand the central Igbo. An old woman from Ukwuani, Ikwerre or Agbor would not need an interpreter buying her wares at an Onitsha or Enugu market.

Yes sire. Ijaw is very deep and obscure when it wants to be.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 12:34pm On Oct 24, 2015
HopeAtHand:
Frathermarthy, stop deceving yourself, Ijaws are never the fourth largest tribe in Nigeria.

If you have something to say, spew it! I was taught in my history lessons that Ijaws are the 4th Largest! Or you want to argue here that Ikwerres are the 4th largest? Oh Please.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by kostadinis: 12:37pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

Yes sire. Ijaw is very deep and obscure when it wants to be.

What do you mean by 'when it wants to be'?
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 24, 2015
#ProudlyIjaw#

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by SpencerLewis(m): 12:43pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

The thing about Edos is that the unity is not there unlike Ijaw. Most Edo groups claim to be languages of their own such as Afemai, Esan, Etsako, etc. Even beyond the division, most Edos are not in Nigeria. They are scattered over the globe. So if there is a census, who would be counted when all Edos are in the diaspora?

Frater Mathy greetings! I beg to correct or highlight some misconceptions about some things u wrote here. Was is it by error or by design not to talk about the ijaws that speak Igbo as their main and possibly only language, e.g. Opobo and Bonny(excluding Finima). How come they speak Igbo if there were no connections to the Igbos in the hinterland?
Pls, don't tell me that Opobo speak Igbo b/c of Jaja. Bonny was already an Igbo speaking city state b/4 arrival of Jaja as a slave in the early 19th century. And Jaja alone couldn't have force Igbo the Bonny people that followed him to Opobo. Just like William the conqueror couldn't force the England to speak French in 1066 nor King George 1 then elector of Hanover force Britain to speak German in 1714.
Can u explain that to me?
Anyway thanks for ur wonderful research.
Once more, fraternal greetings to u.

5 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by SpencerLewis(m): 12:47pm On Oct 24, 2015
01Mysticdon:
Are Ogba people from ONELGA Rivers State also Ijaw?
No they are an Igboid group just like Ikwerre, Ekpeye etc.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by SpencerLewis(m): 12:49pm On Oct 24, 2015
kelsidengkucio:
And point to note, their girls no de fine at all

U are 101% right. That's why they alwz marry Igbo babes. Go to Okrika, Bayelsa, Kalabari etc. Igbo there is their 2nd language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 12:52pm On Oct 24, 2015
kostadinis:

What do you mean by 'when it wants to be'?

Oh. Some of these clans can either speak light Ijaw (*not central Ijaw since there is almost none) and a few words can be picked by an Ijaw of another clan or they can speak their real deep Ijaw (Kalabari, Nkoro, etc) and another Ijaw will virtually hear NOTHING! That is why I said "when it wants to be".
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 12:56pm On Oct 24, 2015
SpencerLewis:

Frater Mathy greetings! I beg to correct or highlight some misconceptions about some things u wrote here. Was is it by error or by design not to talk about the ijaws that speak Igbo as their main and possibly only language, e.g. Opobo and Bonny(excluding Finima). How come they speak Igbo if there were no connections to the Igbos in the hinterland?
Pls, don't tell me that Opobo speak Igbo b/c of Jaja. Bonny was already an Igbo speaking city state b/4 arrival of Jaja as a slave in the early 19th century. And Jaja alone couldn't have force Igbo the Bonny people that followed him to Opobo. Just like William the conqueror couldn't force the England to speak French in 1066 nor King George 1 then elector of Hanover force Britain to speak German in 1714.
Can u explain that to me?
Anyway thanks for ur wonderful research.
Once more, fraternal greetings to u.

I believe the case of Bonny/Opobo is that of Igbo acculturation. Most of the aboriginal Ijoid people there traded with the Igbos. Since they were ostracised from other Ijoid clans, being islands, it is within logic that they must have seen the Igbo language as a language of commerce, diplomacy and wealth. Much like English is seen in the world today. With the coming of Jaja, it became easier for the then bilinguals to completely change their language to an Igboid one. However, culturally, the people remain Ijaw! Even some of their names are Ijoid and the extant quarters are Ijoid. That is my submission, although not authoritative.

Pax Profoundis

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by lascopes(m): 1:07pm On Oct 24, 2015
ijawcitizen:
Everyone should disregard the content of this "research" by an OVER SABI called fratermathy.

When you mix truths, half truths and lies together like he did here, what you have is FABLES.

lalastica pls kindly close this thread.

fratermathy pls allow us (Ijaws) tell you about ourselves and stop doing over sabi.
Bad mouth....disgrace embarassed
ijawcitizen:
Everyone should disregard the content of this "research" by an OVER SABI called fratermathy.

When you mix truths, half truths and lies together like he did here, what you have is FABLES.

lalastica pls kindly close this thread.

fratermathy pls allow us (Ijaws) tell you about ourselves and stop doing over sabi.
Bad mouth....disgrace
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by stteejax(m): 1:14pm On Oct 24, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
confirm...unlike some tribe..very peace Loving and respectable...although dem sabi yab person o....accomodating and very taciturn
lol...yabists
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by 01Mysticdon(m): 1:18pm On Oct 24, 2015
SpencerLewis:

No they are an Igboid group just like Ikwerre, Ekpeye etc.
But history trace us to ancient benin
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Deltagiant: 1:22pm On Oct 24, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Fratermathy: If you have something to say, spew it! I was taught in my history lessons that Ijaws are the 4th Largest! Or you want to argue here that Ikwerres are the 4th largest? Oh Please.

@HopeAtHand, come to think of it, who wants to be tagged a minoority in a lawless dog-eat-dog contraption as Nigeria?

Any right thinking group in Nigeria would want the word 'largest' attached to their name grin

Therefore, I support the Ijaw quest for a 'majority' status regardless of whether Bayelsa state records only 300,000 eligible voters. It is no longer fashionable to be a minority in NIgeria. I believe as soon as they're officially accorded the status, they'll take care of the rest in the Niger Delta, and if the others don't like it, they know what to do. Some of the renegade 'ethnic nationalities' there have respectively big familes from where they ran away.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fritiyo: 1:40pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

CC:
Seun
Lalasticlala

Picture Insert (Ijaw People Across All Dialects)
[img]http://4.bp..com/-MkovTie2TK4/URWYhCROeAI/AAAAAAAAMsk/CJ6B8A87xM4/s640/tumblr_luk74iPFg91qjz7u4o1_500.jpg[/img]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/592786_kalabari_ijaw_jpg7b20a67d36edc7841680a2763a046b71
www.nairaland.com/attachments/575500_200114_1768405222408_1607538803_1692872_6879412_n_jpga7b93ff99fde15b6e4dd105660ddc3be
www.nairaland.com/attachments/575558_7033_1258027168262_1157118411_30790771_2229102_n_jpg4f958bcd99fbd89722ef3add7f753782
www.nairaland.com/attachments/575889_bonny_maidens_jpg3f729d0e1c6d04b0d4e414d4b4342bcc

Nice write up op. I do not v enough strength to write too much here.
Some people like to under rate us the ijaw's for reasons best known to them.
U made mention of the Ijaws been calm n quite but can react when pushed to the wall, which is very correct. For us the Ijaws we clearly know what do, where we are and possible to take action when necessary.
I as an ijaw boy, it pertinent for me to say it here that, my people are not like the other tribes who enjoy speaking their dialect outside their land. May be the reason people think we are not as populous as we claim to be the fourth largest ethnic group is because, we don't speak our language wherever we are.
Thanks for mentioning my town TUOMO. Toumo was the brother to kabowei( patani), effurun n aregbo people.
Once again well work sir. u have done a great work in ur chosen field.

4 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by HopeAtHand: 1:58pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

If you have something to say, spew it! I was taught in my history lessons that Ijaws are the 4th Largest! Or you want to argue here that Ikwerres are the 4th largest? Oh Please.

I'm sorry i took some time to respond..been jubilating with friends since the good news in Rivers..

Ethnic groups (2014[2])
21% Yoruba
21% Hausa
18% Igbo
11% Fulani
9% Urhobo-Isoko
7% Efik-Ibibio
4% Kanuri
3% Edo
2% Tiv
2% Ijaw
2% Nupe
1% Bura
8% others

www.wikipedia.com/Nigeria
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 2:08pm On Oct 24, 2015
HopeAtHand:

I'm sorry i took some time to respond..been jubilating with friends since the good news in Rivers..

Ethnic groups (2014[2])
21% Yoruba
21% Hausa
18% Igbo
11% Fulani
9% Urhobo-Isoko
7% Efik-Ibibio
4% Kanuri
3% Edo
2% Tiv
2% Ijaw
2% Nupe
1% Bura
8% others

www.wikipedia.com/Nigeria

And you really believe that Urhobo-Isoko and Edo are more than Ijaws cheesy?
Even though I am an Urhobo, I know Ijaws are far more than us even when combined with Isoko.
In any case, the 2016 National Population Census will answer these questions for us. I do know that Ijaws are large and we cannot judge ONLY from their Bayelsa population! We have to holistically look at it from their combined population in Edo, Ondo, Delta, Akwa-Ibom, Rivers and Bayelsa states.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Qoradi(m): 2:13pm On Oct 24, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Jaja was NEVER the founder of Opobo. He was an Igboman that led Breakaway Bonny Chiefs to form an Opobo Kingdom with the same inhabitants of the Opobo land who are 100% Ijaws. Jaja was though a beneficiary but was never 'founder'. As for Kalabari Kingdom, what are you saying? Who is Ediabali from Abia state? Oga Kalabari is 100% Ijaw and founded by Ijaw-man. Not some Ediabali from Abia state. Make we no argue abeg... Today is my birthday though

Nna, I tire for the guy oh, King Jaja that was bought into Opobo land will now become founder or Ediabali that grew into a strongman in one of the numerous houses is elevated to founder? People sha

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by lordcabasa(m): 2:45pm On Oct 24, 2015
Nice work but in truth the eastern ijaw languages comprising of okrika,kalabari etc are similar and can hear each other a great deal, even the Nembe language in Bayelsa and others. On a general scale our languages are similar and radically different at d same time but one thing is sure, our culture,nature and hospitality is the same. Yes we are the 4th largest ethnic group in nigeria.it's unfortunate that marginalisation may try to alter the records but in truth we are who we are. #full ijawblood,body and soul.#
Thanx op, ur doing a gr8 job. Next time add research on our rich culture and marriage, guess we need to correct some alien impressions from the relics of marginalisation.
once again THANX

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by topemirates(m): 2:50pm On Oct 24, 2015
Was chanced to serve the nation in Bayelsa State, Kolokuma/Opokuma LGA to be precise, I can say the Ijaw people are very warm, so friendly and accommodating just that their men are very lazy, they prefer to sit at home, play all these local games, smoke and do all sort of things while their wives will be out in the farm to work and probably go fishing.
I also learnt their language (the basic ones o), a bit hard though but very interesting.
Nice piece of writing @op, you've done really well!!!

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by dictbennie(m): 3:01pm On Oct 24, 2015
crazygod:
I rep Arogbo Ijaw. We've got a rich culture. I wish i can speak my language tho.

Same here....I rep arogbo..though I can speak wella..

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by akins56(m): 3:11pm On Oct 24, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Point of correction Sir, Ijaw is the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. A real census will prove that. The problem is that some Ijaws identify with their Kingdoms only (due to ignorance). The status of Ijaw as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria is out of debate. That our people don't make noise like the 'Big 3' doesn't mean we don't know the 'ko-ko'. So quit it sir!
i belief the kanuri people of NE are more populous than the ijaws.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
Jaja founded Opobo Town and not your perekule, I served in Opobo Town and mingled with them, Jaja is a god in Opobo as a whole even till tomorrow, your perekule is not popular to Opobo people, Opobo speaks Igbo and not Ijaw or ubani, as for Ediabali Asari Dokubo said that and not me http://kayodeogundamisi..nl/2012/02/asari-dokubo-issues-warning-to-ndi-igbo.html?m=1
Anyway wishing you happy birthday and more fruitful years ahead
TonyeBarcanista:

Jaja was NEVER the founder of Opobo. He was an Igboman that led Breakaway Bonny Chiefs to form an Opobo Kingdom with the same inhabitants of the Opobo land who are 100% Ijaws. Jaja was though a beneficiary but was never 'founder'. As for Kalabari Kingdom, what are you saying? Who is Ediabali from Abia state? Oga Kalabari is 100% Ijaw and founded by Ijaw-man. Not some Ediabali from Abia state. Make we no argue abeg... Today is my birthday though

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by donofdons: 3:59pm On Oct 24, 2015
Asari Dokubo Issues Warning to Ndi-Igbo over Biafra Abandoned Property
"It is better for our Igbo brothers to learn humility and stop this nonsense....many members of my family were killed for their support for Biafra.My grand uncle King Fredrick Princewill,Amachree X111,Amanyanabo of Kalabari abdicated the Kalabari throne because of his support for Biafra.

My grandmother Princess Okukuba W.D.Goodhead...immediate senior sister to His Majesty The King...was almost executed by firing squad by the invading Nigerian Military led by her Nephew Capt. Erasmus J.T.Princewill son of her elder brother King J.T.Princewill,Amachree X11....on her support for Biafra.

My grand Aunty who was nickname Madam Biafra....grand mother of a former Foreign Minister of Nigeria was taking through very painful torture before execution.
My maternal uncle one of the first lawyers in the Eastern Region never return home till his death because of his support for Biafra.
My father was a Biafran officer in the medical Corp.

My statement is recorded on tape....I never said we were taught....I said we were told many stories by our elders which we now discovered to be false.

On abandon property.....my Father or Mother did not benefit from properties left behind by Igbos....infact my family lost a lot of properties at Iguta.

All my great grand Mothers except one were Igbos.

The ancestral stool I occupy today...Edi Abali was founded by an Igboman from Abom in Abam in 1782.

I am an Igbo man because Allah gracious allowed Ijaw, Igbo and Bini blood to flow in mine veins......I am not begging to be Igbo.As I will not beg to be Gambari,Yoruba or Efik .

Please please stop this nonsense it will not help you....We the Ijaws have been fighting our wars without your assistance...but it will be better for all of us to work together for our common purpose." Asari Dokubo

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 4:00pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

I am a dirty H0m0sexual who goes around Nairaland sending unwanted PMs about Homosexuall trade
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 4:03pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

I am a dirty H0m0sexual who goes around Nairaland sending unwanted PMs ,Homosexuall trade
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 4:12pm On Oct 24, 2015
omonnakoda:
cry cry cry cry

See your life? See what hate has reduced you to? I weep for you! Get well soon bro.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Armaggedon: 4:12pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

I believe the case of Bonny/Opobo is that of Igbo acculturation. Most of the aboriginal Ijoid people there traded with the Igbos. Since they were ostracised from other Ijoid clans, being islands, it is within logic that they must have seen the Igbo language as a language of commerce, diplomacy and wealth. Much like English is seen in the world today. With the coming of Jaja, it became easier for the then bilinguals to completely change their language to an Igboid one. However, culturally, the people remain Ijaw! Even some of their names are Ijoid and the extant quarters are Ijoid. That is my submission, although not authoritative.

Pax Profoundis
you are not making sense joor. Ibibio also traded and interacted with aro Igbos why didnt they loose their languages too?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta / Cushitic people the most beautiful people on Earth / Ooni Ogunwusi Transforms His Ife Palace (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.