Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken (45713 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 4:14pm On Oct 24, 2015
Armaggedon:
you are not making sense joor. Ibibio also traded and interacted with aro Igbos why didnt they loose their languages too?

Because Ibibios were geographically contiguous to each other unlike the Opobo/Bonny people who were alienated in Isles.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by muzzafar(m): 4:19pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

Then tell your story. I am not imprisoning you or am I? I know someone like you would always come around. If you so much love your people, why haven't you written about them before now? Here you are attacking someone who is attempting to document your culture in so hostile a way! If you feel I depicted the Ijaws in a wrong light, the sane thing to do is to air your corrections and not act savagely.

By the way, everything I wrote here is a product of research written by IJAW PEOPLE! You can check Wikipedia here http://en.wikipedia.com/Ijaw_people and see the skeletal framework upon which my research is built. Dont just come and speak just because others are. If you want to defend your people, write a book about them or uplift the culture positively. Dont come here and attack people who, out of their love for Ijaws, are attempting a documentation of your people.
Stop being a busy body go look for a better job stop saying things you dont know so you dont mis-inform reasonable people.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Armaggedon: 4:19pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

Because Ibibios were geographically contiguous to each other unlike the Opobo/Bonny people who were alienated in Isles.
why didnt okirika and andoni who are more closer to igbos than bonny loose their cultures?
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Wawawi: 4:20pm On Oct 24, 2015
I rep arogbo! Haa izon, ijaw women are beautiful eg agbani darego, dakore egbesun, anna ebiere etc. We arogbo ijaw speak western ijaw close to the one spoken in Gbaran southern ijaw lg bayelsa state. EGBERI FAA!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

CC:
Seun
Lalasticlala

Picture Insert (Ijaw People Across All Dialects)
[img]http://4.bp..com/-MkovTie2TK4/URWYhCROeAI/AAAAAAAAMsk/CJ6B8A87xM4/s640/tumblr_luk74iPFg91qjz7u4o1_500.jpg[/img]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/592786_kalabari_ijaw_jpg7b20a67d36edc7841680a2763a046b71
www.nairaland.com/attachments/575500_200114_1768405222408_1607538803_1692872_6879412_n_jpga7b93ff99fde15b6e4dd105660ddc3be
www.nairaland.com/attachments/575558_7033_1258027168262_1157118411_30790771_2229102_n_jpg4f958bcd99fbd89722ef3add7f753782
www.nairaland.com/attachments/575889_bonny_maidens_jpg3f729d0e1c6d04b0d4e414d4b4342bcc

All i see is a proud people, proud of their culture. Very good. But u pple want to secceed wt igbos. I give ur country 10yrs, u will all be igbo speaking, ruled by eze ndigbos in ur land. Another 20yrs and we will all be talking about ijaws like some wanderers who never really had a land of their own. Truest story.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by lorelle(f): 4:28pm On Oct 24, 2015
Nice post....I have learnt something about my tribe....Some parents don't give their children this info....it's bad

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Wawawi: 4:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
Jowei jowei izon jowei! Izon jowie mi hausa yei gha!,yoruba yei gha! Ijaw wei ke bini nana. Odo izon otu. Izon kimi emi ... Emi ooooo

5 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 4:36pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

I am a dirty H0m0sexual who goes around Nairaland sending unwanted PMs about Homosexuall trade
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Itzjoy(f): 4:52pm On Oct 24, 2015
Forever proud of my father land......Proudly Kalabari frm Akukutoru......Proudly Ijaw. God bless my hometown

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:53pm On Oct 24, 2015
Qoradi:

Nna, I tire for the guy oh, King Jaja that was bought into Opobo land will now become founder or Ediabali that grew into a strongman in one of the numerous houses is elevated to founder? People sha
My Brother, the matter tire me. I wonder why they are keen on re-writing history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Noneroone(m): 4:57pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy:

according to an ijaw historian EJ Alagoa, "the ubani say their ancestors came from central delta through the ibo hinterland.After a period of sojourn in Ndoki territory, they came down the Imo river and through Andoni country to their coastal location. After the Bonny state was established, it's traders used the same route to obtain the produce of the hinterland for Atlantic trade."

it is clear from the above that their ancestors were igbo

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 5:06pm On Oct 24, 2015
muzzafar:
Stop being a busy body go look for a better job stop saying things you dont know so you dont mis-inform reasonable people.

Okay sir!
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Miscellaneous(m): 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2015
fratermathy don't mind ijawcitizen…… that's their behaviour. An average ijaw man is war-like. Even their built speaks it- short & thick set of humans.

Besides I aint seen the Itsekiri thread …..give me the link.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by April4th(m): 5:13pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ah Izon! Wahala kpo fa
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On Oct 24, 2015
This i a very informative thread and i commend the OP. @OP pls, do yourself a favour and ignore the trouble maker called IJAWCITIZEN. Even his Ijaw kinsmen (if he is really Ijaw) have abandoned his hostile disposition. I remember when he was trying o turn tonyebarcanista into a militant but the latter refused. if you don't like a story, write your own (Chinua Achebe)

Now as it refers to Ijaw being the 4th largest ethnic group. personally, i created a thread about it and based on my personal interaction with Nigerians all over the country, i find it hard to believe that Ijaws are actually the 4th though bi'm willing to be wrong. Until a proper census iss carried out, we don't even know which of the 3 major ethnic groups are the largest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:33pm On Oct 24, 2015
01Mysticdon:
Are Ogba people from ONELGA Rivers State also Ijaw?
They are the Ekpeyes. They hold strong ties with the Binis and they are loving.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:37pm On Oct 24, 2015
Eluanaten:
Ijaws are hospitable. In fact too hospitable. So many Ijaw communities now speak other languages espercially Igbo. Like Opobo and part of Okrika. Ijaws are fighters. Dem no dey fear. Na so one Ijaw boy from Ondo come our area for Lag. Gbege come happen for where we go flex. One young soldier come slap me and my guy on top erema matter. The Ijaw boy come dey para, na so him receive him own too o. D Ijawboy slap this soldier back. We shock. U wan c fight. Wen crowd don dey gather nai we carry the Ijaw guy shele o. #YorubaNigerdeltan
hahaahahahaha...
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:37pm On Oct 24, 2015
Rotimi47:
Your threads tend to show that the ijaws are related to we the Yorubas one way or another and a myth in Yoruba also claim that Oduduwa a Yoruba dropped from the sky while another state that the Yorubas originated from Egypt/Sudan.

Just thinking.......
What a postulation. Well, that will require some deep research to ascertain.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by klassic(m): 5:55pm On Oct 24, 2015
Massive shout out to my Fishermen brothers from the creeks. Hiaaaaaaan Izon!!!!!! Iya.
Rep Burutu

3 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by klassic(m): 6:03pm On Oct 24, 2015
Wawawi:
Jowei jowei izon jowei! Izon jowie mi hausa yei gha!,yoruba yei gha! Ijaw wei ke bini nana. Odo izon otu. Izon kimi emi ... Emi ooooo

My bone man from another Mother. Kiedelyo !!! Izon otu ado.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Infoay: 6:18pm On Oct 24, 2015
A good reach work done by the op. Kudos
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by ebikimipelebou: 6:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
Thanks for the above article. You put lot into it. However, I would like to correct the information on the Arogbo Ijaw dialect. It is not Yoruboid as you put it. It is clearly understood by the Gbaramatu people, and the Arogbos understand them clearly too, only a few differences in intonation in pronouncing some words and speed. Other information seems correct. Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 6:40pm On Oct 24, 2015
ebikimipelebou:
Thanks for the above article. You put lot into it. However, I would like to correct the information on the Arogbo Ijaw dialect. It is not Yoruboid as you put it. It is clearly understood by the Gbaramatu people, and the Arogbos understand them clearly too, only a few differences in intonation in pronouncing some words and speed. Other information seems correct. Thank you.
This is one of the reasons I needed the collaboration of Ijaw people. Thank you for pointing this out. It is duly noted!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by ebikimipelebou: 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2015
Wawawi:
I rep arogbo! Haa izon, ijaw women are beautiful eg agbani darego, dakore egbesun, anna ebiere etc. We arogbo ijaw speak western ijaw close to the one spoken in Gbaran southern ijaw lg bayelsa state. EGBERI FAA!
Yaa! I rep Arogbo also.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by ebikimipelebou: 6:44pm On Oct 24, 2015
crazygod:
I rep Arogbo Ijaw. We've got a rich culture. I wish i can speak my language tho.
same wahala here o! But I understand well.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Rose2014: 6:49pm On Oct 24, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Lolz.. If you like be warri Boy, Na for your pocket oo.. Seun nor they reason our face oo.. Sheybi you know hw many times we beg b4 that our thread hit FP ?.. So nor just show yourself here oo..sheybi you see the way I loyal ?.. Lala never still move some of our Important Post go FP..

As for the Igbo own nor fear e go hit FP. Na Igbo and Yoruba get nairaland, Unlike we minority we go do fasting and prayer before our post hit FP.. Abeg when writing that of Igbo carry some Igbo people along so them go help you out, people like Lyng9, Rose2914 and co.

Rose2914
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2015
Rose2014:

Rose2914

my luv hw far ?.. Were u enter since na.. I miss u oo
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by peleson: 7:58pm On Oct 24, 2015
hamzeiy:
yeah..they are accomodating ..but aggresive..they are by far better than the biafroids in manners and integrity..though they love money but they have limits...the great riverine men..a typical ijaw knows the secret of water ways...as a northerner i dont have a problem giving the niger deltans 50% of their resources while the rest of the country manages the remaining and everybody should go explore his or her region but either it is 50 or 100% they lack leaders that are ready to put the money into good use..i guess its a common nigerian problem
Good observation thouhj but note as a northerner, it is not in ur power to decide who gets what! They different Nigerian tribe do. So the ijaw does. Not depend on that falacy
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Chinachriss(m): 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Point of correction Sir, Ijaw is the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. A real census will prove that. The problem is that some Ijaws identify with their Kingdoms only (due to ignorance). The status of Ijaw as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria is out of debate. That our people don't make noise like the 'Big 3' doesn't mean we don't know the 'ko-ko'. So quit it sir!
I know what I am talking about. The Ibibio/ Efik folks are greater in number. Have only met many Ijaws in Ph, but I have seen Aks people almost everywhere I have been to. Well, 2016 is almost here.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 24, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

They are the Ekpeyes. An Illustrious son of Ogba is Truckpusher. They hold strong ties with the Binis and they are loving.

Truckpusher correct me if I'm wrong

Ogba and Ekpeye are distinct groups.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by hamzeiy: 8:56pm On Oct 24, 2015
peleson:

Good observation thouhj but note as a northerner, it is not in ur power to decide who gets what! They different Nigerian tribe do. So the ijaw does. Not depend on that falacy
..yea...its up to the entire country....dont get me wrong..northerners are not your enemies
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by crazygod(m): 9:15pm On Oct 24, 2015
dictbennie:

Same here....I rep arogbo..though I can speak wella..
Oga teach me na...... sese o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Alaafin Of Oyo Demonstrates How To Disarm A Thief (Photos) / A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) / Cushitic people the most beautiful people on Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.