Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken (45681 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by nasoeb: 8:40am On Nov 05, 2015
Also sometimes the whites could reject buying some of the slaves on the account that they are either too small or skinny, in which case they will have to be kept in bonny for a period of time to grow/recover, this could take months-years sometimes. Now during all these waiting period, the slaves are force to do house chores including take care of the kids. Now in doing such dangerous and delicate business it was wise to be very cautious and stay ahead of your victims and never letting them know of your plans. So this made the Bonny people to try avoid speaking their language in public and gave stern warning to their kids NEVER TO SPEAK/TEACH the igbo slaves so wont be able to figure out their moves, rather they should try learn the igbo language for "communication purpose" so as to be able to commune/order the slaves in the language they understand n to learn/know more about them. knowing the language also helped in communicating wit parents that brought their kids for sale. so by virtue of doing house chores
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by bigfrancis21: 8:47am On Nov 05, 2015
nasoeb:
Also sometimes the whites could reject buying some of the slaves on the account that they are either too small or skinny, in which case they will have to be kept in bonny for a period of time to grow/recover, this could take months-years sometimes. Now during all these waiting period, the slaves are force to do house chores including take care of the kids. Now in doing such dangerous and delicate business it was wise to be very cautious and stay ahead of your victims and never letting them know of your plans. So this made the Bonny people to try avoid speaking their language in public and gave stern warning to their kids NEVER TO SPEAK/TEACH the igbo slaves so wont be able to figure out their moves, rather they should try learn the igbo language for "communication purpose" so as to be able to commune/order the slaves in the language they understand n to learn/know more about them. knowing the language also helped in communicating wit parents that brought their kids for sale. so by virtue of doing house chores

Where is your evidence for this? Or is this oral tradition? Provide evidence please.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by IGBOPRINCE: 8:56am On Nov 05, 2015
omonnakoda:
Go and bail WhoNamedThee
thou re not clear for I do not know thee. Thither ye speak from thyself to thee. Thou know not.

Thanx
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 9:03am On Nov 05, 2015
IGBOPRINCE:
thou re not clear for I do not know thee. Thither ye speak from thyself to thee. Thou know not.

Thanx
Taa!
Onye amaru akukwo
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 9:05am On Nov 05, 2015
So this joker can ask for EVIDENCE!!

Where is the EVIDENCE for his hircine claim that NOT A WORD OF IBANI is spoken in Bonny today
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by letu(m): 9:23am On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:
I do not understand the logic of some people on this forum. If Ngwa-Ndoki are Igbos and the Ngwa-Ndoki gave the Bonnys the name, 'Ubani', does that not imply that 'Ubani' is of Igbo origin? Where in anywhere did I mention 'Ibani' specifically to be of Igbo origin?

Did I not also provide evidence supporting the Igbo origin of 'Ubani'?
Ubani is all about beauty,handsome,nice and good looking person/object. That Ngwa Ndoki Asa call them ubani don't mean they don't know the meanig of ubani, thats the reason for these names ubanioma,ubanihuoma,ubanimkpuruoma, ubaninwayioma,ubaninwohkoma and the name ubani.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by bigfrancis21: 9:36am On Nov 05, 2015
I need not remind anybody that Bonny Island is said to generally consist of two main towns: Bonny town proper and Finima. I have always referred to Bonny town proper when making my assertions, and not the entire Island.

Communities making up Bonny Island/Bonny LGA:

Abalama
Abalambie
Achiama
Abaja
Ajegunle
Ayaminima
Bonny
Borokiri
Finima
Kala-imbiam
Kruma
Namatta
Ngalaka
Oloma
Peterside

http://www.ijawfoundation.org/communities.htm

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by bigfrancis21: 9:38am On Nov 05, 2015
letu:
Ubani is all about beauty,handsome,nice and good looking person/object. That Ngwa Ndoki Asa call them ubani don't mean they don't know the meanig of ubani, thats the reason for these names ubanioma,ubanihuoma,ubanimkpuruoma, ubaninwayioma,ubaninwohkoma and the name ubani.

Thanks for sharing this.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by nasoeb: 10:56am On Nov 05, 2015
It is factual that not one tribe including your igbo can claim to have 100% DNA consistent with their founding fathers. so shove those your fat lies down there. slave merchants in Great Bonny trived on igbo slavery as a means of enriching themselves and not for the fun of it. so telling me that huge porpulation of slaves settled in Bonny kingdom reek of USUAL FAT IGBOTIC LIES. Meaning that for there to be huge igbo slaves settlers, these slaves were purposely brought and dumped in Bonny, which we all know is not so. because no business man will do that. they were brought to be sold and shipped as slaves and that was what happened. IN CONCLUSION, NO IGBO SLAVE SETTLED HERE. So saying atleast 70% of DNA testing will point to igbo is not only senseles but childish and wishful fantasy in which the slaves are more porpulated than the owners of the land.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by IGBOPRINCE: 11:35am On Nov 05, 2015
omonnakoda:
Taa! Onye amaru akukwo
iwu onye ebee? Nwanne. Elee aha gi ?
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by ChinenyeN(m): 1:12pm On Nov 05, 2015
letu:

And here is where I come in. I believe I have already explained this here on NL before, but I don't mind explaining it again. You are very correct, Letu, that Ubani in names acknowledges beauty. "Ubani" came to be associated with beauty, because pre-colonial Ngwa considered the Ubani to be beautiful and handsome people. That's partly why we married them a lot and also the reason why children who we believed exemplified beauty and handsomness were called "Ubani". Beyond that, Ubani, as a word, has no inherent meaning in Ngwa, nor in Asa, and neither in Ndoki. We simply came to associate it with a standard of beauty.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by bigfrancis21: 1:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
nasoeb:
It is factual that not one tribe including your igbo can claim to have 100% DNA consistent with their founding fathers. so shove those your fat lies down there. slave merchants in Great Bonny trived on igbo slavery as a means of enriching themselves and not for the fun of it. so telling me hthe porpulation of slaves settled in bonny kingdom reek of USUAL FAT IGBOTIC LIES. Meaning that for there to be huge igbo slaves, these slaves were purposely dumped in bonny, which we all know is not so. because no business man will do that. they were brought to be sold and shipped as slaves and that was what happened. IN CONCLUSION, NO IGBO SLAVE SETTLED HERE. So saying atleast 70% of DNA testing will point to igbo is not only senseles but childish and wishful fantasy in which the slaves are more porpulated than the owners of the land.

No Igbo slaves settled in Bonny? Really? Could you kindly explain your earlier post on Igbo slaves doing house chores in Bonny? Where did these slaves later go to? undecided
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by pazienza(m): 3:17pm On Nov 05, 2015
I hate it when people decide to seat on the fence on crucial issues.
If you must seat on the fence, then no need commenting.

Bigfrancis, well done for puting those people where they belong, and doing so with class, even when one of them was busy throwing insults on your person.

3 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by nasoeb: 6:42pm On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

No Igbo slaves settled in Bonny? Really? Could you kindly explain your earlier post on Igbo slaves doing house chores in Bonny? Where did these slaves later go to? undecided
yes, these the purpose for the slaves was for them to be sold and nothing else. With this being said, occasionally, due to non availability of slave ships, these slaves had to be held in Bonny pending whenever the slave ship arrive, during this period, d slaves were use for house chores where they teach their wards igbo as a means of communicating. Again some of the slaves were rejected because they were too weak/tiny, they had to be kept for recovery/growth period to make them sellable. Again, durng this period they were used also for house chores, after which they are ALL SOLD as that is the whole idea. So NO IGBO SLAVE SETTLED IN BONNY, NEVER. Bonny is an IJAW Town and wil forever remain so. and there is nothing you or anyone can ever do. we learnt igbo for a reason. Take it or leave it.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by bigfrancis21: 7:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
nasoeb:
yes, these the purpose for the slaves was for them to be sold and nothing else. With this being said, occasionally, due to non availability of slave ships, these slaves had to be held in Bonny pending whenever the slave ship arrive, during this period, d slaves were use for house chores where they teach their wards igbo as a means of communicating. Again some of the slaves were rejected because they were too weak/tiny, they had to be kept for recovery/growth period to make them sellable. Again, durng this period they were used also for house chores, after which they are ALL SOLD as that is the whole idea. So NO IGBO SLAVE SETTLED IN BONNY, NEVER. Bonny is an IJAW Town and wil forever remain so. and there is nothing you or anyone can ever do. we learnt igbo for a reason. Take it or leave it.

Lmao. This is a joke right?

Are you willing to undertake a DNA test? cheesy
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by ijawcitizen(m): 10:49pm On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Are you willing to take a shock-therapy to cure your madness?

@nasoeb, thanks so much MINABO, the dirty attitute of these igbos is truely unbecoming. such fixation on Ijawland that normally should not be their business is pure madness, i wonder why they dont know it is a terrible mental disorder.

It my hope that proper programs be initiated to eradicate this igbo epidermic, and for the entire Ibaniland to recover their dialect within the next 10 years. also the terms of association with the Ndoki needs to be redefined as they have choosen to be called igbo, it is not enough saying A MINA MINA as the only Ijaw they remember when they come around, but turning around to start speaking igbo in our land.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by ChinenyeN(m): 12:04am On Nov 06, 2015
Lol, Ijawcitizen. You're just as bad as your Igbo counterparts. Your nationalism makes it difficult for you all to accept things as they are. Nothing in life is neat and tidy, especially not social interactions, historical associations and ancestral relations. Ubani can certainly move forward in life and in time without having to be as xenophobic as you're trying to make them. Besides, as an Ngwa, I feel I should be allowed to freely express my historical, social and ancestral familiarity with Ubani, who I more or less consider kin. Why are you people trying to take that away from me? Ahn ahn.

2 Likes

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by pri3stess(f): 6:25am On May 14, 2018
nasoeb:

This thread is old, but you are absolutely right about this. My father, a Nembe man told me this same story. The Ibani people did not want Igbos to know their plans, so they would speak Igbo to the Igbo slaves. @bigFrancis21 , I hope you've inhaled sense by now. Everything is not about you Igbo people. You people had to derail this thread for Ijaw people to talk about their different dialects. Don't you have your own thread to talk about your language? Very annoying bunch. Ibani's are Ijaws. Their language is part of the Ijaw language group. My Nembe is rusty but I can still understand people conversating in the Ibani language. Not word for word, but atleast I'd be able to tell what they are talking about.

To the Op, thank you for this thread, however, Brass and Nembe people can communicate very well without any issues. I didn't even know there was a difference in dialect because my parents are from both areas.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by pri3stess(f): 6:29am On May 14, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Why are you Igbos so self centered? The people from this tribe are telling you THEIR history and you, an Igbo person is trying to argue them over. Do you see how foolish you look? No wonder other tribes did not support you people during the civil war. Imagine how much worse Ijaw people would be if Biafra actaully happened. God forbid!!
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by Sinistami(m): 3:33pm On May 14, 2018
The Epie-Attisa clans are the real Natives of Yenagoa though.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by nlPoster: 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2019
fratermathy:

If you so much love your people, why haven't you written about them before now?

There are nl threads discussing Ijaw history, one in particular deals with pre-modern Ijaw history (Oru), it was a long time ago.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by UGBE634: 6:28pm On Mar 20, 2022
fratermathy:

If you have something to say, spew it! I was taught in my history lessons that Ijaws are the 4th Largest! Or you want to argue here that Ikwerres are the 4th largest? Oh Please.
What history lessons man. Ijaws were never considered as the fourth largest until Gej came onboard. This Ijaw sef is like a cult group where members from different 'tribe' can become ijaws or aptly put a 'franchise' as a nairalander sincerely confused with the workings of Ijaw described it . Degema, Engenni and Epie-atissa are not Ijaw or Ijoid speaking and are not even close to. I heard some Ijaws are positing now that Ndoki is Ijaw grin

Even at that, Tivoid groups, Ibiboid groups, Fulbe have better stake at fourth largest than the Ijaws

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by ijawcitizen(m): 2:25pm On Jun 07, 2022
ChinenyeN:
Lol, Ijawcitizen. You're just as bad as your Igbo counterparts. Your nationalism makes it difficult for you all to accept things as they are. Nothing in life is neat and tidy, especially not social interactions, historical associations and ancestral relations. Ubani can certainly move forward in life and in time without having to be as xenophobic as you're trying to make them. Besides, as an Ngwa, I feel I should be allowed to freely express my historical, social and ancestral familiarity with Ubani, who I more or less consider kin. Why are you people trying to take that away from me? Ahn ahn.

The "Ubani" do not consider a single Ngwa or any other igbo humanoid as kins. The Ubani people consider Ngwa as their slaves and Aro as their erand boys.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by XAUBulls: 5:11pm On Dec 18, 2023
Lagrage:
I love Ijaws a lot.. But they can be aggresive at times. Dem nor dey gree for argument. To me thats their character flaw but apart from that they are very loving,respectful and homely
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by XAUBulls: 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2023
Wawawi:
I rep arogbo! Haa izon, ijaw women are beautiful eg agbani darego, dakore egbesun, anna ebiere etc. We arogbo ijaw speak western ijaw close to the one spoken in Gbaran southern ijaw lg bayelsa state. EGBERI FAA!
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by XAUBulls: 5:16pm On Dec 18, 2023
Wawawi:
Jowei jowei izon jowei! Izon jowie mi hausa yei gha!,yoruba yei gha! Ijaw wei ke bini nana. Odo izon otu. Izon kimi emi ... Emi ooooo
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by XAUBulls: 5:21pm On Dec 18, 2023
TonyeBarcanista:

They are the Ekpeyes. They hold strong ties with the Binis and they are loving.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong
From PG 4: The Ogbas of ONELGA.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by XAUBulls: 5:23pm On Dec 18, 2023
ebikimipelebou:
Thanks for the above article. You put lot into it. However, I would like to correct the information on the Arogbo Ijaw dialect. It is not Yoruboid as you put it. It is clearly understood by the Gbaramatu people, and the Arogbos understand them clearly too, only a few differences in intonation in pronouncing some words and speed. Other information seems correct. Thank you.
Interesting.
Re: Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken by XAUBulls: 5:24pm On Dec 18, 2023
crazygod:
I rep Arogbo Ijaw. We've got a rich culture. I wish i can speak my language tho.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Alaafin Of Oyo Demonstrates How To Disarm A Thief (Photos) / A Child's Legs Buried In Benue Over His Inability To Walk As At When Due (Pics) / Cushitic people the most beautiful people on Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.