Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,750 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others (6571 Views)

Contradictions In The Bible — Why Are They There? / If Moses Wrote The Five Books Of The Bible, Why Write About His Death And Burial / Is Self Servicing A "SIN" For A Couple Whose Partner Is Hardly Around? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 26, 2015
“Which passages of Scripture should guide our public policy? Should we go with Leviticus, which suggests slavery is ok and that eating shellfish is abomination? How about Deuteronomy, which suggests stoning your child if he strays from the faith? Or should we just stick to the Sermon on the Mount – a passage that is so radical that it’s doubtful that our own Defense Department would survive its application? So before we get carried away, let’s read our bibles. Folks haven’t been reading their bibles.” Barack Obama

In my experience, ex-Christians tend to have read the Bible much more frequently than most Christians.. I memorized hundreds of verses because I thought it was the Word of God and I wanted to know what it said. I spent hours reading different chapters over and over again.No wonder why I was made on several occasions to teach in the "Search the scripture" class then in Deeper Life Bible Church in my early teenage years.

Most Christians who loudly insist on tying people down with the Bible, and judging people through the eyes of the Bible, don’t really even read it or, at the least, don’t read it all that often.

A survey recently carried out by myself recently at the gym,work even random places showed that most Christians don't personally read the Bible,but wait till they go to church to read it with their various Pastors.

This brings me to a conclusion that majority who actually read the bible intently have left Christianity. And the rest who remain Christians don't believe the Bible is as important as they claim it is.

So far on nairaland,it is obvious that majority of Christians (Annyplenty,OLAADEGBU etc)pour their energy, by and large, into making sure that other people are respecting a religion they don’t know very well themselves.

I’ve experienced a shocking lack of Bible knowledge in Christians(ODUBEZE,italo3,Jeromejnr,Anas09 etc)As a Christian I didn’t really recognize it; I didn’t have to argue about Christianity that much about the bible. But as an non-christian who often calls Christians to account on what they supposedly believe, it is truly surprising to me how often Christians have no idea what they are so stridently defending.

Christians read your Bible before preaching- perhaps who knows,you might just stubble on some mind blowing truth. But still read the book before chest beating and defending it

Just a thought

Thanks for reading.

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Anas09: 11:51am On Oct 26, 2015
Ifeness, just get a life.

3 Likes

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by kevoh(m): 12:22pm On Oct 26, 2015
Shared! cool
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by hahn(m): 1:09pm On Oct 26, 2015
The only good thing the bible has to offer in it's pages is rolling paper for weed.

How a sane mind can read through the barbarism of Jehovah and still worship him is what beats me. We should be looking for ways to stone it back to it's senses undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 26, 2015
undecided
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Shollyps(m): 2:55pm On Oct 26, 2015
this gonna be interesting *spread mat...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by cold(m): 4:08pm On Oct 26, 2015
The bible is like the privacy policy you see when you're about to install an app. Nobody reads it,just scroll down and tick the tiny box. 'I agree'.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Krystalzkris(f): 4:32pm On Oct 26, 2015
and when you expose the flaws in the bible,they will want to chop your neck because according to them you are not reading it with the holy spirit's guidance and interpretation... I wonder what guidance is needed to read something that's already written in English..

23 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Medicis(m): 5:38pm On Oct 26, 2015
The Bible has been around before you were born and will still be around when you are long dead and rotten in grave.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by cold(m): 6:12pm On Oct 26, 2015
Medicis:
The Bible has been around before you were born and will still be around when you are long dead and rotten in grave.
You're asked why you don't read your bible and just place it underneath your pillow to serve as a second pillow. You go off a tangent telling us how the bible is as old as dinosaurs..smh.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
It's easier to be a Christian.

Any part of the Bible you dont understand. Your pastors tells you, "pray for the spirit to open your spiritual eyes" or something like that. And you just accept it.

Wherever you find in the old testament that depicts God as a blood-loving, hater, irrational, egocentric, serial-killer, evil... "We are in the era of new covenant" your pastors will say.

If you ask why God had to go through all this stress to get us to heaven(creating evil, hell, Satan, tree of good and evil, giving birth to Ismael, punishing jesus, earth-quakes, flood)? They say, "he knows best", "don't question him". That applies to when you lose a family or friend too.

If you ask simple philosophical questions, you get 'ready-made' replies.

Well, we just got tired of self-deceit that's all. No one will see God and deny it, would they?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by ODUBEZE: 9:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
ifeness:
“Which passages of Scripture should guide our public policy? Should we go with Leviticus, which suggests slavery is ok and that eating shellfish is abomination? How about Deuteronomy, which suggests stoning your child if he strays from the faith? Or should we just stick to the Sermon on the Mount – a passage that is so radical that it’s doubtful that our own Defense Department would survive its application? So before we get carried away, let’s read our bibles. Folks haven’t been reading their bibles.” Barack Obama

In my experience, ex-Christians tend to have read the Bible much more frequently than most Christians.. I memorized hundreds of verses because I thought it was the Word of God and I wanted to know what it said. I spent hours reading different chapters over and over again.No wonder why I was made on several occasions to teach in the "Search the scripture" class then in Deeper Life Bible Church in my early teenage years.

Most Christians who loudly insist on tying people down with the Bible, and judging people through the eyes of the Bible, don’t really even read it or, at the least, don’t read it all that often.

A survey recently carried out by myself recently at the gym,work even random places showed that most Christians don't personally read the Bible,but wait till they go to church to read it with their various Pastors.

This brings me to a conclusion that majority who actually read the bible intently have left Christianity. And the rest who remain Christians don't believe the Bible is as important as they claim it is.

So far on nairaland,it is obvious that majority of Christians (Annyplenty,OLAADEGBU etc)pour their energy, by and large, into making sure that other people are respecting a religion they don’t know very well themselves.

I’ve experienced a shocking lack of Bible knowledge in Christians(ODUBEZE,italo3,Jeromejnr,Anas09 etc)As a Christian I didn’t really recognize it; I didn’t have to argue about Christianity that much about the bible. But as an non-christian who often calls Christians to account on what they supposedly believe, it is truly surprising to me how often Christians have no idea what they are so stridently defending.

Christians read your Bible before preaching- perhaps who knows,you might just stubble on some mind blowing truth. But still read the book before chest beating and defending it

Just a thought

Thanks for reading.

Hmmm, okay U have gotten my attention.
I hope it will be worth my time.
@Ifeness, It was because of people like you that this scripture was written - But Jesus told them, "Moses wrote this
commandment for you because your hearts were
hard." Mark 10:5.
to start with I am surprise really that deeper life listened to your teachings aside that of KUMUYI because all your teachings I suppose negates all that Deeper Life stands for. ( I stand to be corrected by members of deeper life)
A point of correction however is your knowledge vs Obama knowledge of scriptures as you claim does not mean that U know the right application!
Even the devil quotes the scriptures. That is a topic for another day.
So before I go further, I would like to remind U that all my teachings are scripturally based. Hence, my very point of reference.
Can U please give proper references to your claims above?
May God enlighten us better as we move forward.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by cold(m): 9:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
^^^What is this one saying

3 Likes

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by winner01(m): 10:30pm On Oct 26, 2015
Atheism is not disbelief, its actually a belief. Infact its a religion.
Take nairaland for instance, where would you find themundecided
Yeah thats right, Religion section.

Notice how often the speak on christianity, how often they show their obsession with the christian God. Atheism a conscious effort to draw people away from the Truth. Yeah, i said Truth. A kingdom is not divided against itself, thats why you wont find them elsewhere.

You would normally expect someone who dosent believe in "an idea" to not spend so much time on it.
My kid brother and many other kids out there have been anticipating christmas and santa's gifts. I would be insane trying to disprove the existence of santa to them or spending much time talking about santa. I would need to believe he exists before devoting so much time talking about him.

This is the same with atheism, you cant possibly spend so much time talking about what dosent exist. You cant exhibit so much bigotry and obsession for a non existent idea.

The fact remains, You know He exists but hate Him due to one reason or the other. You know He exists but dont believe in Him and you need us not to believe in Him with you.

This is your strategy, the devils strategy, (Anything but our God). But I got news for yhu. "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord, FOREVER.

Ask atheists any question on the origin of man or the universe, they'll say I dont know, i wonder why they dont want us to know with themundecided, i mean if you dont know, you make findings rightundecided. But they will rather convince you not to knowundecided. Its is clearly a mission, a crazy one.

Look at the picture below, share your belief, not disbelief, not criticism, not opinion, but BELIEF

It seems to me like you're here to share and spread your belief, your religion.

Enjoy wasting your time dude, we will take this gospel of peace to the ends of the earth.

www.creation.mobi/atheism

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Krystalzkris(f): 11:05pm On Oct 26, 2015
winner01:
Atheism is not disbelief, its actually a belief. Infact its a religion.
Take nairaland for instance, where would you find themundecided
Yeah thats right, Religion section.

Notice how often the speak on christianity, how often they show their obsession with the christian God. Atheism a conscious effort to draw people away from the Truth. Yeah, i said Truth. A kingdom is not divided against itself, thats why you wont find them elsewhere.

You would normally expect someone who dosent believe in "an idea" to not spend so much time on it.
My kid brother and many other kids out there have been anticipating christmas and santa's gifts. I would be insane trying to disprove the existence of santa to them or spending much time talking about santa. I would need to believe he exists before devoting so much time talking about him.

This is the same with atheism, you cant possibly spend so much time talking about what dosent exist. You cant exhibit so much bigotry and obsession for a non existent idea.

The fact remains, You know He exists but hate Him due to one reason or the other. You know He exists but dont believe in Him and you need us not to believe in Him with you.

This is your strategy, the devils strategy, (Anything but our God). But I got news for yhu. "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord, FOREVER.

Ask atheists any question on the origin of man or the universe, they'll say I dont know, i wonder why they dont want us to know with themundecided, i mean if you dont know, you make findings rightundecided. But they will rather convince you not to knowundecided. Its is clearly a mission, a crazy one.

Look at the picture below, share your belief, not disbelief, not criticism, not opinion, but BELIEF

It seems to me like you're here to share and spread your belief, your religion.

Enjoy wasting your time dude, we will take this gospel of peace to the ends of the earth.

www.creation.mobi/atheism

did u just say atheism is a religion? And atheists know there is god but choose not to belief?? Ouch,too pathetic..

5 Likes

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by ValerianSteel(m): 11:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
At times I feel like drowning my family when they gang up with their religious hypocrisy.I just pretend none of them exist at that moment?

Doing the same religious shenanigans for decades and it still hasn't made anyone of them Dangote.Such fuckkked up mentality.
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by winner01(m): 11:37pm On Oct 26, 2015
Krystalzkris:
did u just say atheism is a religion? And atheists know there is god but choose not to belief?? Ouch,too pathetic..
Lol, you wouldnt be here if it wasnt.

Consciousness of a Creator is part of the default nature of man. You can choose not to believe thereafter.

Your stand is pathetic and confusing.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by winner01(m): 12:03am On Oct 27, 2015
ValerianSteel:
At times I feel like drowning my family when they gang up with their religious hypocrisy.I just pretend none of them exist at that moment?

Doing the same religious shenanigans for decades and it still hasn't made anyone of them Dangote.Such fuckkked up mentality.
@ bolded, That is the point of atheism. There is a cause for believing your family dosent exist, there is also a cause for believing God dosent exist. Apparently there is a cause for everything. Even Human existence.

This quote pretty sums up the mind of an atheist.

"How else can you fight God but to pretend He doesn't exist?" - Chris Bowyer

2 Likes

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by ValerianSteel(m): 12:06am On Oct 27, 2015
winner01:
@ bolded, That is the point of atheism. There is a cause for believing your family dosent exist, there is also a cause for believing God dosent exist. Apparently there is a cause for everything. Even Human existence.

Lol,Am actually a Christian myself.i just don't share in gross hypocritical delusions that members of my family seem to adorn.
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by dalaman: 12:11am On Oct 27, 2015
winner01:

Did any God appear to you and told you that he exist or are you just holding to the God idea others created and regurgitating it?

4 Likes

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by winner01(m): 12:19am On Oct 27, 2015
dalaman:

Did any God appear to you and told you that he exist or are you just holding to the God idea others created and regurgitating it?
This non-existent "idea" seems to bother you so much.

Are you diisturbed.

1 Like

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by menesheh(m): 12:44am On Oct 27, 2015
Pyrrho:
It's easier to be a Christian.

Any part of the Bible you dont understand. Your pastors tells you, "pray for the spirit to open your spiritual eyes" or something like that. And you just accept it.

Wherever you find in the old testament that depicts God as a blood-loving, hater, irrational, egocentric, serial-killer, evil... "We are in the era of new covenant" your pastors will say.

If you ask why God had to go through all this stress to get us to heaven(creating evil, hell, Satan, tree of good and evil, giving birth to Ismael, punishing jesus, earth-quakes, flood)? They say, "he knows best", "don't question him". That applies to when you lose a family or friend too.

If you ask simple philosophical questions, you get 'ready-made' replies.

Well, we just got tired of self-deceit that's all. No one will see God and deny it, would they?

This is like "why did god commanded the Israelites to kill the people of their neighboring towns, kill everything living both children and feeble women, then spare women that know no man for yourselves and for god"

Power answer: "for reasons sufficiently best known by god"

That not an answer bro. It's rather portraying man-made sort of mundane stories of hate and racism by ancient men with animalistic character of survival of the fittest.

Look at your comment again about asking pastors and holy spirit to help you read a book very much easy to understand and you asserted this statement: "you just accept it". The high level of credulity involved in this part of your comment is staggering.

3 Likes

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by johnydon22(m): 12:54am On Oct 27, 2015
Krystalzkris:

Atheism is a religion just like "Not playing any sport" is another type of sports...

Or maybe just like "not playing chess" is another type of game...

People sometimes don't understand when they sound like idiots...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by itstpia8: 12:57am On Oct 27, 2015
Did Jesus read the bible?

answer that.

You cant base an assumption simply on what you spied or didnt spy someone doing.

That's fallacy.
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Nobody: 1:03am On Oct 27, 2015
ODUBEZE:

Hmmm, okay U have gotten my attention.
I hope it will be worth my time.
@Ifeness, It was because of people like you that this scripture was written - But Jesus told them, "Moses wrote this
commandment for you because your hearts were
hard." Mark 10:5.
to start with I am surprise really that deeper life listened to your teachings aside that of KUMUYI because all your teachings I suppose negates all that Deeper Life stands for. ( I stand to be corrected by members of deeper life)
A point of correction however is your knowledge vs Obama knowledge of scriptures as you claim does not mean that U know the right application!
Even the devil quotes the scriptures. That is a topic for another day.
So before I go further, I would like to remind U that all my teachings are scripturally based. Hence, my very point of reference.
Can U please give proper references to your claims above?
May God enlighten us better as we move forward.

father Moses climbed a mountain n wrote those commandment ...
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by menesheh(m): 1:05am On Oct 27, 2015
johnydon22:

Atheism is a religion just like "Not playing any sport" is another type of sports...

Atheism is a religion just like not believing that zombie is real is a religion too.
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Krystalzkris(f): 1:34am On Oct 27, 2015
winner01:
Lol, you wouldnt be here if it wasnt.

Consciousness of a Creator is part of the default nature of man. You can choose not to believe thereafter.

Your stand is pathetic and confusing.
you are the one who is so confused here... That I choose to hang around the religion section does not make atheism a religion... Admit it,without us,this would have been the most boring section on NL... Btw,there is no such thing as consciousness of a god being our default nature... We only had that idea because people around us told us..
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by Krystalzkris(f): 1:37am On Oct 27, 2015
johnydon22:

exactly. And the reason he thinks atheism is a religion is because atheist are in the religion section... Get sense dem no gree..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by dalaman: 6:44am On Oct 27, 2015
winner01:
This non-existent "idea" seems to bother you so much.

Are you diisturbed.

The non existent idea is responsible for so many ills in our society today and as such it bothers me. And yes it is a man made idea that is why you are here trying to defend it and explain it to others because the entire entity behind the idea is non existent and can never do anything on it's own because the idea lives only in your imaginations.
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by winner01(m): 7:12am On Oct 27, 2015
johnydon22:

[b]Atheism is a religion just like "Not playing any sport" is another type of sports...

[/b]
Lame comparison, You should have said "Not playing a sport, but spending so much time training on a sport, spending your days training even though you dont do the sport.
You are already engaging in that sport.

Your obsession with a "non-existent God idea" shows how crazy you are.

1 Like

Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by winner01(m): 7:14am On Oct 27, 2015
menesheh:

Atheism is a religion just like not believing that zombie is real is a religion too.

Many people believe zombies and vampires are real. To me they dont exist.

I will be as "wise" as you are to devote my time to refuting their existence.
Re: Christians Hardly Read The Bible .why Do They Try So Hard To Force It On Others by winner01(m): 7:26am On Oct 27, 2015
Krystalzkris:
you are the one who is so confused here... That I choose to hang around the religion section does not make atheism a religion... Admit it,without us,this would have been the most boring section on NL... Btw,there is no such thing as consciousness of a god being our default nature... We only had that idea because people around us told us..
You are a confused entity. You just choose to hang around here, whyundecided
@bolded, thats a confused comment, i dont see you in churches and people have so much fun in God's presence. What fun have you brought hereundecided, Using curse or blasphemous languages against God;-\, Doesn't sound like fun, sounds like hate. We only feel you need help thats why some of us chose to reply.
We only had morals too because its an idea passed down to our generation dont you think.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is It Proper To Skip Praise & Worship On Sunday Service ? / Mermaid Is Real. / Photos of Pastor Benny Hinn and Wife Renewing Thier Wedding Vows.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.