Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,496 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Mermaid Is Real. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mermaid Is Real. (6565 Views)

When Your Prayers And Fasting Is Real, They Will Produce These Results / Woman Crashes Car After Hitting A Pole While Trying To Show That God Is Real / Stephanie Otobo Attempts To Prove Facetime She Had With Apostle Suleman Is Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mermaid Is Real. by fineboynl(m): 12:21am On May 03, 2017
A mermaid is a legendary aquatic creature with the head and upper body of a female human and the tail of a fish . Mermaids appear in the
folklore of many cultures worldwide, including the Near East, Europe, Africa and Asia. The first stories appeared in ancient Assyria , in which the goddess Atargatis transformed herself into a mermaid out of shame for accidentally killing her human lover. Mermaids are sometimes associated with perilous events such as floods, storms, shipwrecks and drownings. In other folk traditions (or sometimes within the same tradition), they can be benevolent or beneficent, bestowing boons or falling in love with humans.

The male equivalent of the mermaid is the
merman, also a familiar figure in folklore and heraldry. Although traditions about and sightings of mermen are less common than those of mermaids, they are generally assumed to co-exist with their female counterparts.

Some of the attributes of mermaids may have been influenced by the Sirens of Greek mythology . Historical accounts of mermaids, such as those reported by Christopher Columbus during his exploration of the Caribbean, may have been inspired by manatees and similar aquatic mammals. While there is no evidence that mermaids exist outside of folklore, reports of mermaid sightings continue to the present day, including 21st century examples from Israel and Zimbabwe.

Mermaids have been a popular subject of art and literature in recent centuries, such as in
Hans Christian Andersen's well-known fairy tale " The Little Mermaid " (1836). They have subsequently been depicted in operas, paintings, books, films and comics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by fineboynl(m): 12:30am On May 03, 2017
In 2012, the television channel Animal Planet aired a show claiming to show evidence that mermaids are real.

The program was filmed to appear to be a documentary, complete with interviews with "scientists" (paid actors) and phone-camera footage. With only the show's very brief disclaimer in the end credits noting it was a work of fiction, many viewers thought that proof of mermaids' existence had finally come to light.

A month after the program aired, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration posted a statement on its website denouncing the supposed existence of the half-human, half-fish beings . "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found," the post read.

In mythology, mermaids — or mermaidlike creatures — have existed for thousands of years.
The first myths of mermaids may have originated around 1000 B.C. — stories tell the tale of a Syrian goddess who jumped into a lake to turn into a fish, but her great beauty could not be changed and only her bottom half transformed.

Since then, many other mermaid stories have appeared in folklore from various cultures around the world. For instance, the African water spirit Mami Wata is mermaid in form, as is the water spirit Lasirn, who is popular in folklore in the Caribbean Islands.

Throughout history, various explorers have reported sightings of mermaids, the most famous of which was Christopher Columbus.
Columbus claimed to have spotted mermaids near Haiti in 1493, which he described as being "not as pretty as they are depicted, for somehow in the face they look like men," according to the American Museum of Natural History.

Captain John Smith is described in Edward Rowe Snow's "Incredible Mysteries and Legends of the Sea" (Dodd Mead, January 1967) as seeing a big-eyed, green-haired mermaid in 1614 off the coast of Newfoundland; apparently Smith felt "love" for her until he realized she was a fish from the waist down.

Experts believe Columbus, Smith and other mermaid-spotting explorers really caught glimpses of human-sized marine mammals called manatees and dugongs.
Indeed, despite past and recent "sightings" of the mythical sea creatures, mermaids, like the Lock Ness Monster, may just be a case of mistaken identity.
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by johnydon22(m): 8:18am On May 03, 2017
no, it's not

3 Likes

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 11:10am On May 03, 2017
fineboynl:
In 2012, the television channel Animal Planet aired a show claiming to show evidence that mermaids are real.

The program was filmed to appear to be a documentary, complete with interviews with "scientists" (paid actors) and phone-camera footage. With only the show's very brief disclaimer in the end credits noting it was a work of fiction, many viewers thought that proof of mermaids' existence had finally come to light.

A month after the program aired, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration posted a statement on its website denouncing the supposed existence of the half-human, half-fish beings . "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found," the post read.

In mythology, mermaids — or mermaidlike creatures — have existed for thousands of years.
The first myths of mermaids may have originated around 1000 B.C. — stories tell the tale of a Syrian goddess who jumped into a lake to turn into a fish, but her great beauty could not be changed and only her bottom half transformed.

Since then, many other mermaid stories have appeared in folklore from various cultures around the world. For instance, the African water spirit Mami Wata is mermaid in form, as is the water spirit Lasirn, who is popular in folklore in the Caribbean Islands.

Throughout history, various explorers have reported sightings of mermaids, the most famous of which was Christopher Columbus.
Columbus claimed to have spotted mermaids near Haiti in 1493, which he described as being "not as pretty as they are depicted, for somehow in the face they look like men," according to the American Museum of Natural History.

Captain John Smith is described in Edward Rowe Snow's "Incredible Mysteries and Legends of the Sea" (Dodd Mead, January 1967) as seeing a big-eyed, green-haired mermaid in 1614 off the coast of Newfoundland; apparently Smith felt "love" for her until he realized she was a fish from the waist down.

Experts believe Columbus, Smith and other mermaid-spotting explorers really caught glimpses of human-sized marine mammals called manatees and dugongs.
Indeed, despite past and recent "sightings" of the mythical sea creatures, mermaids, like the Lock Ness Monster, may just be a case of mistaken identity.

Mer-people do exist. They are different life forms just like us. As long as people don't worship them,nothing wrong knowing that. Our society isnt educated to accept they could exist, that's fine too. Morden science doesn't have the courage to admit the possibility Extratterstrials exist and won't dare talk about those in the inner planet. Man wants to think he is alone in the Universe...... That's how he hides his fears.

The Aquatic world is classified.

2 Likes

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by hahn(m): 12:10pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:

Mer-people do exist. They are different life forms just like us. As long as people don't worship them,nothing wrong knowing that. Our society isnt educated to accept they could exist, that's fine too. Morden science doesn't have the courage to admit the possibility Extratterstrials exist and won't dare talk about those in the inner planet. Man wants to think he is alone in the Universe...... That's how he hides his fears.

The Aquatic world is classified.

Nigu

Picture or idonbelieveit

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 12:40pm On May 03, 2017
@hahn I can't give pictures obviously lol. I'm crazy I know to think they exist. Doesn't mean they can't exist.

Ancient African knew there were. Brazil, Cuba, ancient sea Priates, even Mr Christopher Columbos wrote about them. We cannot say there were crazy as we do not know. But it is dangerous to trust science 100%. Science has a long way to go....... Imagine when you take a picture,the camera catch what it can, but not all there is. Can marmaids exist? Yes they can if the environment supports them.

But to say they don't exist, simply because some white men havent stumbled on it is lame. We as Africans should do our own research tho. I visited Ogun state, Nigeria years back and I was told stuff about them. Osun Oshogbo is a place known about the story of marmaids...... Why should we not consider finding out more rather than judge from the White man's philosophy.

Talk of Yemeja, fish mother reverenced in our African tradition etc. These are no myth.......being an Atheist shouldnt stop your investigations. Investigate before conclusion.
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by hahn(m): 1:01pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:
@hahn I can't give pictures obviously lol. I'm crazy I know to think they exist. Doesn't mean they can't exist.

Ancient African knew there were. Brazil, Cuba, ancient sea Priates, even Mr Christopher Columbos wrote about them. We cannot say there were crazy as we do not know. But it is dangerous to trust science 100%. Science has a long way to go....... Imagine when you take a picture,the camera catch what it can, but not all there is. Can marmaids exist? Yes they can if the environment supports them.

But to say they don't exist, simply because some white men havent stumbled on it is lame. We as Africans should do our own research tho. I visited Ogun state, Nigeria years back and I was told stuff about them. Osun Oshogbo is a place known about the story of marmaids...... Why should we not consider finding out more rather than judge from the White man's philosophy.

Talk of Yemeja, fish mother reverenced in our African tradition etc. These are no myth.......being an Atheist should stop your investigations. Investigate before conclusion.

Still doesn't make them real whether it is the black man or white man that came to the conclusion

Same way Sango and Thor share similarities, lack of proof inclusive, only proofs that humans think a lot alike regardless of race and our imaginations work the same way. That is my pov. Of course it can be elaborated upon

1 Like

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by omohayek: 1:09pm On May 03, 2017
So, are these "mermaids" biological creatures, like human beings, gorillas, chimpanzees and the like? If so, clearly they must be vertebrates, but where exactly do they fit in the tree of life, and what could their evolutionary history have been like? Were they intermediate stages where they, for example, lurked in shallow pools of water, waiting for prey to walk by the water's edge?

This sort of nonsensical topic is evidence for my claim that most Africans, even "educated" ones, don't really understand the science they are taught in school, they just learn to memorize and regurgitate without thinking.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 1:26pm On May 03, 2017
hahn:

Still doesn't make them real whether it is the black man or white man that came to the conclusion

Same way Sango and Thor share similarities, lack of proof inclusive, only proofs that humans think a lot alike regardless of race and our imaginations work the same way. That is my pov. Of course it can be elaborated upon

Our imaginations are based on what we were programmed to think. We have been taught in school that we are alone in the Universe and there are 9 planets. Our imaginations will be limited that and below.The need for medicines to cure headaches, taking anti- depression tablets to cure depression,money to be happy and programming......Unfortunately that's us being stuck in the material world.

"Gods of Egypt" had an all Caucasian Cast, same as Thor etc. I know Egyptisns were no white,but world has accepted they were. Shango was obviously a Yoruba ancient character.....maybe exaggerated a bit,but who knows if he actually spit fire from his mouth.....we cannot tell.

Thor's story could be that of human hybrids who displayed advance technology, the type science cannot explain. Obviously they will call it a myth because they do not know. I am not a student of science,religion or anything. I observe and think a lot. I have no boundaries to my thoughts,that's why I say marmaids can be real . It is not wrong of you to say they ain't real either. We are both crazy in different ways smiley

2 Likes

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 1:32pm On May 03, 2017
omohayek:
So, are these "mermaids" biological creatures, like human beings, gorillas, chimpanzees and the like? If so, clearly they must be vertebrates, but where exactly do they fit in the tree of life, and what could their evolutionary history have been like? Were they intermediate stages where they, for example, lurked in shallow pools of water, waiting for prey to walk by the water's edge?

This sort of nonsensical topic is evidence for my claim that most Africans, even "educated" ones, don't really understand the science they are taught in school, they just learn to memorize and regurgitate without thinking.

What if the education you had isn't that deep? Who will teach about mermaids? I don't think anyone can since they do not know themselves. It is best to say we do not know, rather than conclude they do not exist. But mermaid stories in Africa has being for thousands of years..... They was a recent claim of mermaid attack in Zimbabwe. There people were sure they were mermaids. Who knows, they may be right or wrong. Education has nothing to do with it.
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 1:36pm On May 03, 2017
Meanwhile I saw this online. Never say never

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziOaxvj53r8
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by omohayek: 1:48pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:

What if the education you had isn't that deep? Who will teach about mermaids? I don't think anyone can since they do not know themselves. It is best to say we do not know, rather than conclude they do not exist. But mermaid stories in Africa has being for thousands of years.....
I can apply the same argument to all sorts of other hypothetical creatures. "What about Bigfoot/The Loch Ness Monster/The Abominable Snowman/Santa Claus? don't think anyone can since they do not know themselves. It is best to say we do not know, rather than conclude they do not exist. But Bigfoot/The Loch Ness Monster/The Abominable Snowman/Santa Claus stories have existed for many years..." This is an argument from ignorance, in support of credulity even in the face of the highly improbable.

They was a recent claim of mermaid attack in Zimbabwe. There people were sure they were mermaids. Who knows, they may be right or wrong. Education has nothing to do with it.
On the contrary, education has everything to do with it. People who are well educated learn to demand extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims, and they are aware of what a bad idea it is to trust too much in anecdotal claims like the one you've just made. Simply believing far-fetched rumors you've read or heard somewhere, without checking for independent confirmation from credible sources, is the height of gullibility.

If someone tells me they saw a mermaid, the likelihood that the person is either lying or insane is a lot higher than the odds that the person is telling the truth, and the amount of evidence I will require to believe what they are saying will be correspondingly higher. Anyone who claims otherwise is simply not well-educated.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by hahn(m): 1:56pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:

Our imaginations are based on what we were programmed to think. We have been taught in school that we are alone in the Universe and there are 9 planets. Our imaginations will be limited that and below.The need for medicines to cure headaches, taking anti- depression tablets to cure depression,money to be happy and programming......Unfortunately that's us being stuck in the material world.

But by researching we have discovered there is lot of other things in the universe based on the evidence before us.What evidence do we have for mermaids after all this time?

"Gods of Egypt" had an all Caucasian Cast, same as Thor etc. I know Egyptisns were no white,but world has accepted they were. Shango was obviously a Yoruba ancient character.....maybe exaggerated a bit,but who knows if he actually spit fire from his mouth.....we cannot tell.

We have a discussion about "gods of egypt on "thinker's lodge" and personally I am irritated by the fact that it was an all white cast. Then again, what could Nollywood have done to ensure it's an all black cast?

Thor's story could be that of human hybrids who displayed advance technology, the type science cannot explain. Obviously they will call it a myth because they do not know. I am not a student of science,religion or anything. I observe and think a lot. I have no boundaries to my thoughts,that's why I say marmaids can be real . It is not wrong of you to say they ain't real either. We are both crazy in different ways smiley

Keywords: could be, they do not know

They can be real doesn't make it real. That is all I am saying smiley
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 2:03pm On May 03, 2017
omohayek:

I can apply the same argument to all sorts of other hypothetical creatures. "What about Bigfoot/The Loch Ness Monster/The Abominable Snowman/Santa Claus? don't think anyone can since they do not know themselves. It is best to say we do not know, rather than conclude they do not exist. But Bigfoot/The Loch Ness Monster/The Abominable Snowman/Santa Claus stories have existed for many years..." This is an argument from ignorance, in support of credulity even in the face of the highly improbable.

On the contrary, education has everything to do with it. People who are well educated learn to demand extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims, and they are aware of what a bad idea it is to trust too much in anecdotal claims like the one you've just made. Simply believing far-fetched rumors you've read or heard somewhere, without checking for independent confirmation from credible sources, is the height of gullibility.

If someone tells me they saw a mermaid, the likelihood that the person is either lying or insane is a lot higher than the odds that the person is telling the truth, and the amount of evidence I will require to believe what they are saying will be correspondingly higher. Anyone who claims otherwise is simply not well-educated.

What sort of education have you got if I may ask? Psychology, astronomy, geometry, astrology, Antropology etc ...which one? You cannot read business in school and claim you are all round educated. Education is you aquiring knowledge on a specific field. You cannot be educated in everything unless you have lived for thousands of years straight. The babalawos are more educated in their various divinitions more than you...that's a fact! The priestess of Yemoja is more educated in her field than you. You cannot say she is uneducated because she did not go to university to study business. It is is ignorance to think so. Why don't you meet a Yemoja priestess and ask questions about the mermaid and let curiosity and your own thoughts decide. I don't believe man evolved from monkey because science said so.

If someone says he saw a mermaid, you would assume he is insane? That's wrong...... If I said I saw a rainbow without showing evidence,does that mean I'm insane?

I will not say I know 100% mermaids are not real, but it is possible for them to exist. No body knows.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 2:09pm On May 03, 2017
hahn:

But by researching we have discovered there is lot of other things in the universe based on the evidence before us.What evidence do we have for mermaids after all this time?

We have a discussion about "gods of egypt on "thinker's lodge" and personally I am irritated by the fact that it was an all white cast. Then again, what could Nollywood have done to ensure it's an all black cast?

Keywords: could be, they do not know

They can be real doesn't make it real. That is all I am saying smiley

Before we conclude I think we should take time to find out. I not as lucky as you are bro.... I'm not living in Nigeria....if I were I will be doing lots of research trust me. I'm visiting Peru later this year. I want to see the big omnet heads with black features. The planet is for us to explore and not wait for science to tell us what to believe.

I never said they are real....they could be. I don't Know yet.

What thread are you discussing the gods of Egypt on?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by omohayek: 2:21pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:

What sort of education have you got if I may ask? Psychology, astronomy, geometry, astrology, Antropology etc ...which one? You cannot read business in school and claim you are all round educated. Education is you aquiring knowledge on a specific field. You cannot be educated in everything unless you have lived for thousands of years straight. The babalawos are more educated in their various divinitions more than you...that's a fact! The priestess of Yemoja is more educated in her field than you. You cannot say she is uneducated because she did not go to university to study business. It is is ignorance to think so. Why don't you meet a Yemoja priestess and ask questions about the mermaid and let curiosity and your own thoughts decide.
There's a difference between going to babalawo and Yemoja "school", and going to an actual school where real science is taught. Have you ever asked yourself why all the babalawos and Yemoja priestesses have never achieved even 1% of what the scientists and technologists who invented the very internet you're using have? Show me one single thing all of these babalawos and Yemoja priestesses have achieved that modern scientists will say "wow, that's impressive", like the cars, telephones, airplanes, air-conditioners, x-ray machines, antibiotics and other such fruits of science which even the witch doctors readily use.

I don't believe man evolved from monkey because science said so.
In other words, you're admitting what I've been saying from the start - that you don't have a good scientific education.

If someone says he saw a mermaid, you would assume he is insane? That's wrong...... If I said I saw a rainbow without showing evidence,does that mean I'm insane?
You clearly don't understand what it means to say that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What is extraordinary about rainbows that millions have seen, and which science has been able to explain for 400 years?

I will not say I know 100% mermaids are not real, but it is possible for them to exist. No body knows.
"I will not say that Bigfoot, the Yeti, Santa Claus, the Zeta Reticulans, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster are not real, but it is possible for them to exist. No body knows." Your credulity is astonishing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by hahn(m): 2:22pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:

Before we conclude I think we should take time to find out. I not as lucky as you are bro.... I'm not living in Nigeria....if I were I will be doing lots of research trust me. I'm visiting Peru later this year. I want to see the big omnet heads with black features. The planet is for us to explore and not wait for science to tell us what to believe.

You are not as lucky as me to be living in Nigeria? shocked Let's trade places. Just remember to come with your generator of spare cash for bribing. tongue NO talk am again o cheesy

I never said they are real....they could be. I don't Know yet.

Neither do I

What thread are you discussing the gods of Egypt on?

Thinker's Lodge. The whatsapp group. Remember?

1 Like

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 2:38pm On May 03, 2017
omohayek:

There's a difference between going to babalawo and Yemoja "school", and going to an actual school where real science is taught. Have you ever asked yourself why all the babalawos and Yemoja priestesses have never achieved even 1% of what the scientists and technologists who invented the very internet you're using have? Show me one single thing all of these babalawos and Yemoja priestesses have achieved that modern scientists will say "wow, that's impressive", like the cars, telephones, airplanes, air-conditioners, x-ray machines, antibiotics and other such fruits of science which even the witch doctors readily use.

In other words, you're admitting what I've been saying from the start - that you don't have a good scientific education.

You clearly don't understand what it means to say that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. What is extraordinary about rainbows that millions have seen, and which science has been able to explain for 400 years?

"I will not say that Bigfoot, the Yeti, Santa Claus, the Zeta Reticulans, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster are not real, but it is possible for them to exist. No body knows." Your credulity is astonishing.

I don't want to discuss Bigfoot because I do not know. I will not say I know but I'm curious. But saying it is impossible for them to exist is also ignorance. I'm not talking about sant clause tho.....I think that was only a story for kids. Humans haven't been on this planet long enough to know what lived on it before.

Babalawos and co are in-tune with nature and do not need science in any shape of form because they deal with malleable form of Energy. Science deals mostly with what it can see, solidified Energy. It has no explanation for how physical reality came about.

You are a student of science and you can only be measured by its rules. That is your religion, it tells you what to think, I have no problem with that.

1 Like

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 2:39pm On May 03, 2017
hahn:

You are not as lucky as me to be living in Nigeria? shocked Let's trade places. Just remember to come with your generator of spare cash for bribing. tongue NO talk am again o cheesy

Neither do I

Thinker's Lodge. The whatsapp group. Remember?

Yes I remember. Invite me
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by omohayek: 3:02pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:

Humans haven't been on this planet long enough to know what lived on it before.
So you have to have seen something with your eyes to know it existed? What do you think archaeologists and evolutionary biologists study, if not things which existed before humans existed? The fact is that we know a tremendous amount of what sorts of creatures lived before humans arrived, and we are learning more all the time.

Babalawos and co are in-tune with nature and do not need science in any shape of form because they deal with malleable form of Energy. Science deals mostly with what it can see, solidified Energy. It has no explanation for how physical reality came about.
This only goes to show how little science you know. Current scientific theories can explain how physical reality came about on timescales your babalawos have never even dreamed about (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology)), and further into the future than any babalawo could even dare to imagine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe).

You are a student of science and you can only be measured by its rules. That is your religion, it tells you what to think, I have no problem with that.
Again, if you understood any science, you would know that it is actually the opposite of religion. Where religion insists you simply believe what people have told you despite a lack of evidence, science insists that you put every claim to the test, that you do these tests multiple times, and that the tests should be independently carried out by multiple people. Science never requires you to accept anything on trust.

It's clear that nothing will get in the way of your believing your "mammy water" fairy tales, so I'll just leave you to it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 3:14pm On May 03, 2017
omohayek:

So you have to have seen something with your eyes to know it existed? What do you think archaeologists and evolutionary biologists study, if not things which existed before humans existed? The fact is that we know a tremendous amount of what sorts of creatures lived before humans arrived, and we are learning more all the time.

This only goes to show how little science you know. Current scientific theories can explain how physical reality came about on timescales your babalawos have never even dreamed about (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology)), and further into the future than any babalawo could even dare to imagine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe).

Again, if you understood any science, you would know that it is actually the opposite of religion. Where religion insists you simply believe what people have told you despite a lack of evidence, science insists that you put every claim to the test, that you do these tests multiple times, and that the tests should be independently carried out by multiple people. Science never requires you to accept anything on trust.

It's clear that nothing will get in the way of your believing your "mammy water" fairy tales, so I'll just leave you to it.

In your own words, without posting links, how did the physical reality come to be ?
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by omohayek: 3:36pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:
In your own words, without posting links, how did the physical reality come to be ?
What, are you too lazy to read the link I went to all that trouble to provide? Or is that you think my ability or inability to compress the whole article into a few words for your benefit will say anything meaningful about the truth of the article in question? You might as well say quantum mechanics isn't true unless I can explain it in 30 characters or less!

Sorry, my friend, but there are some things in life that can't really be boiled down to just a few words, and actually require time and effort to understand. The Wikipedia article I linked to is already a heavily summarized version of the full theory, and the only way to make it much shorter would be to use terms which I'm certain you wouldn't understand anyway:

"in the beginning all of the observable universe was compressed into a space 10^36 times smaller than it now is, but the end of the grand-unification epoch, at which point the strong force separated from the electroweak force, the inflaton scalar field began exponential expansion, magnifying the random quantum fluctuations which would give rise to the first galaxies in the stelliferous era. The evidence of this early inflation is still visible in the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the statistical distribution of the earliest visible galaxies matches the predictions of the inflationary theory."

There, did you find that enlightening, or are you now ready to sit down and patiently work through the full article I linked to earlier?
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 3:53pm On May 03, 2017
omohayek:

What, are you too lazy to read the link I went to all that trouble to provide? Or is that you think my ability or inability to compress the whole article into a few words for your benefit will say anything meaningful about the truth of the article in question? You might as well say quantum mechanics isn't true unless I can explain it in 30 characters or less!

Sorry, my friend, but there are some things in life that can't really be boiled down to just a few words, and actually require time and effort to understand. The Wikipedia article I linked to is already a heavily summarized version of the full theory, and the only way to make it much shorter would be to use terms which I'm certain you wouldn't understand anyway:

"in the beginning all of the observable universe was compressed into a space 10^36 times smaller than it now is, but the end of the grand-unification epoch, at which point the strong force separated from the electroweak force, the inflaton scalar field began exponential expansion, magnifying the random quantum fluctuations which would give rise to the first galaxies in the stelliferous era. The evidence of this early inflation is still visible in the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the statistical distribution of the earliest visible galaxies matches the predictions of the inflationary theory."

There, did you find that enlightening, or are you now ready to sit down and patiently work through the full article I linked to earlier?

I said in your own words, I don't need something written by others. That should be easy. You trust the works of others, what about your own research ? How do you know science is right ? I'm curious
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by omohayek: 4:06pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:
I said in your own words, I don't need something written by others. That should be easy.
I did give you my own words, but clearly you lack the courage to admit you didn't understand them. And yet again you spout nonsense about how stuff should be "easy", as if the universe owed you such a thing.

No wonder you find mermaids and other such mythical creatures appealing: you can't handle anything more complicated. Stop wasting my time and stick to peddling your "mammy water" fables.

1 Like

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 4:10pm On May 03, 2017
omohayek:

I did give you my own words, but clearly you lack the courage to admit you didn't understand them. And yet again you spout nonsense about how stuff should be "easy", as if the universe owed you such a thing.

Stop wasting my time and stick to peddling your "mammy water" fables.

Why lose your temper over a little discusion? That's not maturity. You are annoyed I'm not accepting your theory, just like religion.

I never said mammy water exist, I'm saying why can't they ? But you rely so much on science without your personal evidence.... Just like religion.

I'm trying to let you know you are not as intelligent as you think. You base your knowledge on the theory of others.
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by omohayek: 4:44pm On May 03, 2017
ifenes:

Why lose your temper over a little discusion? That's not maturity.
So "maturity" in your book is making irrational demands, then ignoring the response you get even when people take the time to accede to your demands, simply because you don't understand what they've written?

You are annoyed I'm not accepting your theory, just like religion.
Trash. I've already explained the difference between science and religion, but again all that effort seems to have been wasted on you.

I never said mammy water exist, I'm saying why can't they ? But you rely so much on science without your personal evidence.... Just like religion.
More trash that only shows you don't understand how science works, and you haven't even bothered to process the explanation I gave you earlier in the thread.

I'm trying to let you know you are not as intelligent as you think.
You are a living, breathing example of the Dunning-Kruger principle if ever there was one. You can't comprehend any of the things I've written here, yet think yourself in a position to show that I'm "not as intelligent" as I think? It takes a certain level of intelligence to appreciate how absurd this is, a level which is clearly far, far above what you possess.
You base your knowledge on the theory of others.
Another absurd statement from someone who knows nothing at all. How else is knowledge built up if not by learning from others? I'm certain you've never heard of the following statement:

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

They were uttered by a certain obscure gentleman called Isaac Newton, but hey, what did he know?

As I said, by all means, go ahead and stick to the "wisdom" from your babalawos, Yemoja priestesses and mermaids; but while you're at it, why don't you stick to your principles by giving up scientist-created internet and mobile phone, and switch to using babalawo-provided "spiritual" tech for your communications on here?

2 Likes

Re: Mermaid Is Real. by ifenes(m): 5:37pm On May 03, 2017
omohayek:

So "maturity" in your book is making irrational demands, then ignoring the response you get even when people take the time to accede to your demands, simply because you don't understand what they've written?

Trash. I've already explained the difference between science and religion, but again all that effort seems to have been wasted on you.

More trash that only shows you don't understand how science works, and you haven't even bothered to process the explanation I gave you earlier in the thread.

I haven't even said anything about my own findings....but I must make sure you are capable of having your own mind first. You need to learn more mr.

You are a living, breathing example of the Dunning-Kruger principle if ever there was one. You can't comprehend any of the things I've written here, yet think yourself in a position to show that I'm "not as intelligent" as I think? It takes a certain level of intelligence to appreciate how absurd this is, a level which is clearly far, far above what you possess.

Another absurd statement from someone who knows nothing at all. How else is knowledge built up if not by learning from others? I'm certain you've never heard of the following statement:

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

They were uttered by a certain obscure gentleman called Isaac Newton, but hey, what did he know?

As I said, by all means, go ahead and stick to the "wisdom" from your babalawos, Yemoja priestesses and mermaids; but while you're at it, why don't you stick to your principles by giving up scientist-created internet and mobile phone, and switch to using babalawo-provided "spiritual" tech for your communications on here?

Any quotes from your ancestors, non? Mr science

Don't act like you are explaining things to me, you ain't. You are simply coping and pasting other people's ideas to me. I asked what your own findings are ,you arecalling me names instead.
Re: Mermaid Is Real. by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 03, 2017
Atheism doesn't rely on science 100% but for now temporarily agrees science is more logical as to explanation of things we don't understand in time past....

(1) (Reply)

Christian Genius Ravi Zacharias Humiliates Belligerent Atheist Lunatic / Spiritual Digest For The Day 17th Of August 2014 / Have You Seen This Kind Of Face Before PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.