Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? (9096 Views)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Those Who Love Novels / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ifez: 8:35pm On May 05, 2009
Just wondering where everyone buys their novels? I find out that each time I buy a book, someone else ends up getting it somewhere else for a cheaper price.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by SeanT21(f): 8:36pm On May 05, 2009
amazon.com

Its Cheap and they have hundreds of titles in store.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ifez: 8:38pm On May 05, 2009
Thanks Sean. But what if you're in Nigeria? How do you purchase on Amazon? Do you pay with naira, bank card, etc?
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by tpiah: 9:15pm On May 05, 2009
I dont think amazon ships to Nigeria.

not sure however.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ifez: 9:18pm On May 05, 2009
tpiah:

I dont think amazon ships to Nigeria.

not sure however.

Thanks, Tpiah. So where do we go to buy novels in Nigeria? Do you have a good recommendation?
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by tpiah: 12:36am On May 06, 2009
Ifez:

Thanks, Tpiah. So where do we go to buy novels in Nigeria? Do you have a good recommendation?

you're welcome.

It depends on where you live. Most towns should have a standard bookstore, I think.

Where are you?
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ifez: 4:00am On May 06, 2009
Are you referring to like bookstores in Balogun market, or something like that? They usually don't carry new foreign novels. Eg Stephen King, Grisham, Jackie Collins. Even if they do, it is the pirated copies or old second-hand editions.

I'm in Lagos.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by tpiah: 4:11am On May 06, 2009
Ifez:

Are you referring to like bookstores in Balogun market, or something like that? They usually don't carry new foreign novels. Eg Stephen King, Grisham, Jackie Collins. Even if they do, it is the pirated copies or old second-hand editions.

I'm in Lagos.

If you're looking for new releases, you may have to be prepared to shell out more and shop in the high end areas of town eg Lagos Island, MMA bookstores, etc. Dont know if Silverbird has a bookstore. Some of the shopping malls might have the books you're looking for.

I thought you were living in one of those small towns which normally have a few major bookstores that are well stocked.

Did you check Surulere and Yaba? Also, Unilag bookstore.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Joan4427(f): 9:33pm On May 08, 2009
@ Poster

I posted a somewhat similar question on the business forum and got some interesting replies and useful topics. I will provide link to the thread:
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 10, 2009
Amazon ships to Nigeria.
Postage is high though.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by bgees(m): 8:44pm On May 11, 2009
I buy my novels from road side traders in Yaba market. I get it at cheaper prices than at those big book stores and Silverbird.
Some of those big stores have a limited range of novels. You dnnt always get the book you want and when u see the books they are very expensive. So why go there when u can get it cheaper at the roadside.

I got a classic like Jeffrey Archer's 'As Crow Flies' for 400 naira at Yaba. How much do u think those big stores will sell it? That book would certainly be sold for a like 2000+ .

The only problem with the Yaba boys is they sell names. Grisham,Sheldon, Puzo ,Forsyth and other big names will attract higher prices(1k at d maximum).
And if they don't have the book u want just tell them to help u get it and that can take a week or two but u will surely get the book u want.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ifez: 2:25pm On May 13, 2009
BlueDiva:

Amazon ships to Nigeria.
Postage is high though.

@ BlueDiva,
Really, okay thanks for the information. I'll check this out. cheesy
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ifez: 2:28pm On May 13, 2009
tpiah:

If you're looking for new releases, you may have to be prepared to shell out more and shop in the high end areas of town eg Lagos Island, MMA bookstores, etc. Dont know if Silverbird has a bookstore. Some of the shopping malls might have the books you're looking for.

I thought you were living in one of those small towns which normally have a few major bookstores that are well stocked.

Did you check Surulere and Yaba? Also, Unilag bookstore.

@ Tpisaah,
Thanks a lot for the reply and suggestion. I have not heard of NMA Bookstore. DO you have an address or website info for them?

Many of my friends in Surulere say they buy their books from roadside vendors like in Ojuelegba, etc. What I'm looking for is a place to buy new quality novels for use as gift to friends etc.

Pls forgive my ignorance, but where is Silverbird located?

Thanks!
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ifez: 2:35pm On May 13, 2009
bgees:

I buy my novels from road side traders in Yaba market. I get it at cheaper prices than at those big book stores and Silverbird.
Some of those big stores have a limited range of novels. You dnnt always get the book you want and when u see the books they are very expensive. So why go there when u can get it cheaper at the roadside.

I got a classic like Jeffrey Archer's 'As Crow Flies' for 400 naira at Yaba. How much do u think those big stores will sell it? That book would certainly be sold for a like 2000+ .

The only problem with the Yaba boys is they sell names. Grisham,Sheldon, Puzo ,Forsyth and other big names will attract higher prices(1k at d maximum).
And if they don't have the book u want just tell them to help u get it and that can take a week or two but u will surely get the book u want.

@bgees,

Thanks, man, for the info. But I think roadside vendors in Yaba only sell used/recycled novels, right?
What I'm mainly looking for are new novels. Quality books I can package as gifts to family and friends, etc. Do you know if there are such bookstores that carry them at a reasonable price?

If I can find a reputable stores that carry new foreign novels at N2000, I will be very glad. Most stores I've seen usually ask for like N4500 shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked HELP!!!!!!!

And please, where is Silverbird located? Any contact info for them? (Don;t mind my asking, I am a JJC)

Thanks a bunch!
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Suzanne84(f): 4:25pm On May 14, 2009
@ Ifez, Silverbird Galleria is on Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos. The bookshop is on the first floor, don't worry cuz you won't miss it.
Contrary to what you may have heard, their books are pretty cheap compared to some other bookshops including those on the mainland. I buy most of my books from there.
Also check out Bookworm @ Sweet Sensation Building on Adeola Odeku Str, VI. Their books are more expensive than those at Silverbird though.
Check out CMS Bookshop at CMS and This Day Media Center @ The Palms Shopping Mall in Lekki. You can't miss these shops as well, they're easy to locate.
You'll definitely find the kind of books you're looking for there.
Good luck smiley
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by goodboybad(m): 12:24am On May 15, 2009
I go to the Pirate Bay cool , and I get them FOC
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ifez: 7:07pm On May 24, 2009
Thanks, Suzzanne84, Goodboybad and FL Gator for the insights! cheesy

Appreciate your help.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by asamuel: 7:17pm On May 05, 2010
Buy all your books from:

www.kalahari.com.ng

You'll get any book you want there.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Hadewunmee(f): 7:32pm On May 07, 2010
Folks, the truth is i can anywhere, if im passing along a place and i see what i like, i just branch and go for it. i can buy any at alllllllllllllll grin grin
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Ideebee: 10:59pm On May 07, 2010
Sorry to say, but i just cant afford the new ones, too expensive.
so Tinubu Square, Ojuelegba, Yaba or anywhere @all actually works for me.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by Buzman: 10:32am On May 13, 2010
thanks @asamuel. Just got my novel supply from www.kalahari.com.ng
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by MyneWhite1(f): 3:40am On May 24, 2010
Check this book out. It is also on Kalahari.com and booksng.com

[flash=420,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM7wjivOUy8[/flash]
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by asamuel: 1:04pm On Oct 20, 2010
yeah, kalahari.com.ng is the best online retailer in Nigeria.
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by MyneWhite1(f): 10:51pm On Apr 08, 2011
Myne White:

Check this book out. It is also on Kalahari.com and booksng.com

[flash=420,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM7wjivOUy8[/flash]

I now remember! LOL,
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by iice(f): 3:01am On Apr 12, 2011
Book sales, flea markets
Re: Where Do You Go To Buy Your Novels? by six33fourng: 7:05pm On Feb 01, 2023
Buy books online from your favourite bookstore in Nigeria. We have a veritable collection of books that span categories as diverse as you could possibly expect.

From segments like accountancy, to parenting and pregnancy, to banking and finance, to even topics on yoga and meditation – almost any category you seek you would books on it.

Apply to join the largest independent marketplace for book sellers today! In addition to helping us to support you and our fellow booksellers, you'll get:

Lowest fees and commissions of any commercial marketplace.
No monthly fee option — you don't pay if you don't sell.
Reach thousands times more people than a magazine ad, for a fraction of the cost

Visit - https://six33four.ng/bookstore/

(1) (Reply)

5 Things You Need To Know Before Dating A Writer / Bensons Blunder-(He knew it was wrong,but she was a goddess) / Nigerian Babes Read More Novels Than Nigerian Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.