Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,546 members, 7,819,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Writing Better Grammar - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Writing Better Grammar (574 Views)

Whenever Facebook Guys Sight A Beautiful Girl's Picture, Grammar Will Start / Hilarious Grammar On Npower Facebook Group (PIX) / See The Big Grammar This Female Corper Blasted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writing Better Grammar by Emodeee: 8:34pm On Oct 26, 2015
Young people (and even some of you ‘oldies’! ) need to read more properly written books.
Proper writing skills have been thrown out of the window in favour of badly constructed sentences, bad punctuation and badly spelled words and social media inspired short-hand.

I am embarrased and appalled when i read messages, comments and emails from adults who are supposedly educated and taught the art of communicating in english language.

Some of you don’t get responses to applications and proposals because your presentation is fraught with grammatical errors and spelling errors one would expect from a five year old and so on.

What you don’t seem to understand is, the way you write says a lot about you. It speaks subtly, yet clearly. It shows if you’re careless, it tells if you are someone who pays attention to detail, in some cases, it exposes your intelligence or lack of it.

If you really want to speak better and write better, then be prepared to go back to the basics.
Read children’s books. Yes. Books written for children are designed to teach the basics of language, including fundamental words and spelling, regular and irregular nouns and verbs, simple conjugation, and sentence structure.

I learnt how to speak and write properly from the books i read as a child.
School helped, but the story books my mum provided, did a faster job. I remember her taking me to the Kwara State Library every weekend when i was in Primary 3, just to sit down and read books.
So get some kiddie books and start reading and practicing.
Practice reading aloud so that you also get an idea of how the language sounds in conversation.
Read a wide variety of material. essays, novels, newspaper articles, text books, classic literature and so on. It will show you how other authors use language and how sentences are structured.
You will learn word order, spelling, and how to creatively structure your own sentences.

Practice writing every day. Improve your grammar by writing and practicing any new rules or words you’ve learned.
And finally, buy a dictionary. Get used to reading it for new words and learn not just their meanings, but how they are used in different contexts.
Stay blessed.

Source: http://www.4lah.com/2015/10/25/writing-better-grammar/

1 Like

Re: Writing Better Grammar by crazyabbey(m): 9:06pm On Oct 26, 2015
U are so on point
Re: Writing Better Grammar by demmy0325(m): 9:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
Chai!.. See how beroe stars spoil ma 83k.. ..
Re: Writing Better Grammar by Niyeal(m): 9:19pm On Oct 26, 2015
Beta and well structured English will not change the price of Garri in the market. Foreigners with OND who can not spk Eng correctly are expatriate while 9ja wit Phd and a well polished engl are immgrant. Op. Park well joor.
Re: Writing Better Grammar by Emodeee: 9:29pm On Oct 26, 2015
Lalasticlala, do the needful.
Re: Writing Better Grammar by Highcuerayte: 9:30pm On Oct 26, 2015
Reading from the dangerous safety of my short tower.
Re: Writing Better Grammar by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
I know exactly how you feel bro. Funny thing is that most of the people that disdain good english are struggling to survive. If you're not a millionaire and you don't see the need to improve yourself, I'm sorry to say, you're a dunce.
Re: Writing Better Grammar by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 26, 2015
Nice post! Emodeee, you're so good at typing with short forms. Please, learn to practice what you preach! And this is romance section!
Re: Writing Better Grammar by gamaliel121(m): 12:05am On Oct 27, 2015
Nice one.
Re: Writing Better Grammar by Nobody: 4:52am On Oct 27, 2015
Nice post OP,but the letter "I" should always be in capital letter when standing alone,functioning as a pronoun.
Re: Writing Better Grammar by Emodeee: 7:49am On Oct 27, 2015
Nuellah02:
Nice post! Emodeee, you're so good at typing with short forms. Please, learn to practice what you preach! And this is romance section!

nuellah luv, m nt the writer na. The source is there.

Why dn't u reply ma mails?
Re: Writing Better Grammar by IamLEGEND1: 7:54am On Oct 27, 2015
and just look at the tonnes of gbagaun in the OP's write up.

when u wan bend down look somebody yansh,make sure your own dey closed.

"English language" the E is supposed to be in caps.

"Media-inspired"

and as that brilliant sister above pointed out, the first person pronoun "I" is always in caps.

mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww

all diz over sabis sef.
Re: Writing Better Grammar by cosby02(m): 7:56am On Oct 27, 2015
Cool

(1) (Reply)

5 Signs That Shows That A Man Is Not Into You / What Usually The Cause Of The First Fight In Relationships / Will You Advise Recommendation When Choosing A Life Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.