Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos (66639 Views)

14 Funny Lagos Traffic And Auto Slangs With Their Meanings / 100 Slangs You Should Know When You Are In LAGOS. / Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by akandi4u(m): 2:34pm On Oct 28, 2015
Eyen =
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by ojkalito(m): 2:43pm On Oct 28, 2015
bengems:
Pilele ....who doesn't know what it means? ask me grin grin grin
area one belle
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by ellahzy(f): 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2015
gurunlocker:
what of this latest Nairaland slang
Awon werey 100%
yea I have been meaning to ask; what's d meaning pls?
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Phemostiga(m): 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2015
Abayor7:
Stop Sebe
Ojo - Police
Irin Tutu - Gun
Olosho- Prostitute
Ilefo
Igara
Buate
Waso....abbreviation for Wazobia. That's the
street name for #50.
White..... #50
Shandy... #20
Faiba--#5
Shandy-#20
White-#50
Awo-#100
Oloye-#1000.

LASTMA.
I'm not going to tell you the meaning. Just
mess with any LASTMA official, then you'll
know the meaning. If you're a bus driver
(even in proxima potency), you should take
note of this; to avoid stories that touch the
pocket. grin grin

Aaaaaaah!!!
When you are in a heated arguement with
another Lagosian especially conductors or
those agberos and it looks very likely that
a physical fight is on the way, just shout
the word 'Aaaaaaah!' 3 times and end with
by screaming the word 'Emi, emi, emi, wa
ku leni!'
Say this and you would immediately notice
a look of panic on the other guy's face. grin grin
laugh don tear my belle ooiiii
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Bdemmy(m): 2:47pm On Oct 28, 2015
Abayor7:
Stop Sebe
Ojo - Police
Irin Tutu - Gun
Olosho- Prostitute
Karishika - olosho
Ilefo
Igara
Buate
street name for #50.
White..... #50
Shandy... #20
Faiba--#5
Shandy-#20
White-#50
Awo-#100
Oloye-#1000.

LASTMA.
pocket. grin grin

Aaaaaaah!!!
ku leni!'

Faiba is #10
Karla is #5
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Horlufemi(m): 2:50pm On Oct 28, 2015
gurunlocker:
what of this latest Nairaland slang

Awon werey 100%

dem mad people
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by chydel(m): 3:01pm On Oct 28, 2015
HawksDude:
Money Slangs: Waso (50 Naira); 10fibre (100naira), 20fibre(200naira); 2fibre=1shandy (do the maths); Figo (500naira)

Trouble Slangs: Gobe, kasala (when you hear these, you better hold your body)

Bus slangs: Just scream 'Owa' at your conductor to control your conductor to stop your bus.

Also learn others like 'Olosho', 'Shima', 'Ashanna', insultive words for women. lipsrsealed

Skushi/Werey 100% = craze/madness: so when they say you have skushi, well, theyre telling you youre crazy/mad!

Eja (fish) = Weed [my niggas will understand this wink wink wink wink]. grin

Guy u mke sense past OP jare.
Wa shere omode yi

1 Like

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by webslo: 3:02pm On Oct 28, 2015
[quote author=erunz post=39447789]Lagos is the heartbeat of Nigeria-economically, socially and otherwise. From the comical to the puzzling and the most shocking, it all happens in this city of over 15 million people. It is a fascinating place to be.

Due to the complexities that make Lagos unique, people have evolved different ways to communicate, interact and pass along messages which can only be understood by people who are familiar with these slangs.

As a first time visitor in Lagos, you need to keep these slangs at your finger-tips as they may come handy at any time. Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 hotel booking portal shares 5 street parlance you must know if you are resident in the centre of excellence.

Johnny Just Come

Also known as JJC, it is an argot used to describe someone who is naive because they are visiting an unfamiliar terrain for the first time. If people find this to be your status, they may want to take advantage of you. So, do not act like a JJC especially when you are inside a public bus or transacting business.

Akube

Amongst traders of Igbo extraction, Akube refers to goods or products that have little quality or have been previously used. Interestingly, many people have come to associate themselves with Akube products as its affordability attracts higher purchase.

Shine Your Eyes

Shine your eyes simply admonish you to be very vigilant. This is because Lagos is a crowded city and nearly everyone is in a hurry. You should be vigilant and conscious. By the you do not need to worry too much because Lagos is safe but ensure that you shine your eyes always.

On You Own

Oyo is a state in South-west Nigeria. However, when ear catches that word, they are not referring to Oyo Staterather it simply means you are On Your Own. For example, if you want to borrow money from a friend, he uses the acronym Oyo, it means it is not possible. It is often used to express negation.

Owambe

Even though Owambe is a Yoruba slang, it is now a universal expression for partying. So, when next you hear Owambe, get your traditional wear ready, you are going for a christening, birthday or wedding and ensure that you enjoy yourself.

... opoo nla also means street girls
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by jidxin(m): 3:04pm On Oct 28, 2015
sagewonders:
love no Mans land
dz poster.na.weere oooo wetin u mean.by.no.mans land....abi e dey part of biabiafro niii...guy open eyes ooo.no let dem open ur eyes ooo .... point of correction...no be no mans land d.land is wit.history not unlike d animalistic iiigbo without history

1 Like

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by chydel(m): 3:06pm On Oct 28, 2015
Abayor7:
Stop Sebe
Ojo - Police
Irin Tutu - Gun
Olosho- Prostitute
Karishika - olosho
Ilefo
Igara
Buate
street name for #50.
White..... #50
Shandy... #20
Faiba--#5
Shandy-#20
White-#50
Awo-#100
Oloye-#1000.

LASTMA.
pocket. grin grin

Aaaaaaah!!!
ku leni!'
OP needs to learn from u grin
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by lordliri(m): 3:22pm On Oct 28, 2015
Abayor7:

Aaaaaaah!!!
ku leni!'

come.. this one don work for you before?

1 Like

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by emilyone(f): 3:25pm On Oct 28, 2015
Please my people which one is 'tesojue'
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 28, 2015
emilyone:
Please my people which one is 'tesojue'
Ah your mind enh...well it mean make it happen for real.
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by olachelsea1(m): 3:39pm On Oct 28, 2015
oloooorun....commonly use for dull people in lagos

1 Like

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by marklew: 3:43pm On Oct 28, 2015
Awon omo wobe.......wobe..
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by nickz(m): 3:44pm On Oct 28, 2015
Abayor7:

Aaaaaaah!!!
ku leni!'
i think this only works on yoruba boys,especially alomo and orijin bitters addicts sad sad

if you like shout this thing and go nak3d
if i wan change am for you nothin wey god create wey fit stop me (EXCEPT ARMY/MOPOL!!)
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Crixina(f): 3:54pm On Oct 28, 2015
In Rita Dominic's voice, Oyo is your case.
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by omonnakoda: 3:57pm On Oct 28, 2015
erunz:
Lagos is the heartbeat of Nigeria-economically, socially and otherwise. From the comical to the puzzling and the most shocking, it all happens in this city of over 15 million people. It is a fascinating place to be.

Due to the complexities that make Lagos unique, people have evolved different ways to communicate, interact and pass along messages which can only be understood by people who are familiar with these slangs.

As a first time visitor in Lagos, you need to keep these slangs at your finger-tips as they may come handy at any time. Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 hotel booking portal shares 5 street parlance you must know if you are resident in the centre of excellence.

Johnny Just Come

Also known as JJC, it is an argot used to describe someone who is naive because they are visiting an unfamiliar terrain for the first time. If people find this to be your status, they may want to take advantage of you. So, do not act like a JJC especially when you are inside a public bus or transacting business.

[s]Akube

Amongst traders of Igbo extraction, Akube refers to goods or products that have little quality or have been previously used. Interestingly, many people have come to associate themselves with Akube products as its affordability attracts higher purchase.
[/s]
Shine Your Eyes

Shine your eyes simply admonish you to be very vigilant. This is because Lagos is a crowded city and nearly everyone is in a hurry. You should be vigilant and conscious. By the you do not need to worry too much because Lagos is safe but ensure that you shine your eyes always.

On You Own

Oyo is a state in South-west Nigeria. However, when ear catches that word, they are not referring to Oyo Staterather it simply means you are On Your Own. For example, if you want to borrow money from a friend, he uses the acronym Oyo, it means it is not possible. It is often used to express negation.

Owambe

Even though Owambe is a Yoruba slang, it is now a universal expression for partying. So, when next you hear Owambe, get your traditional wear ready, you are going for a christening, birthday or wedding and ensure that you enjoy yourself.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/street-slangs-you-must-know-when-you-in-lagos/
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by fireforfire: 4:05pm On Oct 28, 2015
[/quote]
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by GloryGloryRufus(m): 4:08pm On Oct 28, 2015
Lagos has no sweet slangs , if you want to relax and enjoy slangs, try Delta State. Precisely Warri.

1 Like

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Bollinger(m): 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2015
HawksDude:
Money Slangs: Waso (50 Naira); 10fibre (100naira), 20fibre(200naira); 2fibre=1shandy (do the maths); Figo (500naira)

Trouble Slangs: Gobe, kasala (when you hear these, you better hold your body)

Bus slangs: Just scream 'Owa' at your conductor to control your drive to stop your bus.

Also learn others like 'Olosho', 'Shima', 'Ashanna', insultive words for women. lipsrsealed

Skushi/Werey 100% = craze/madness: so when they say you have skushi, well, theyre telling you youre crazy/mad!

Eja (fish) = Weed [my niggas will understand this wink wink wink wink]. grin

I remember my first week in chicago. I was in a bus and i dozed off. The normal way to disembark at your stop is to watch out for the name on a flashing dashboard by the driver and then pull on a chord in the center of the bus located overhead. Somehow i woke up just before my bus stop and panicked. I started screaming "owa". . ."owa" and everyone was looking at me like i was nuts. There was one chick sitting in the back of the bus laughing like crazy. That's how i knew she was Nigerian. She motioned to me to pull the chord. God i was so embarrassed. It's funny now. It wasn't funny then.

3 Likes

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by ticker(m): 4:25pm On Oct 28, 2015
pls what does "we don enter one chance" mean?

1 Like

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Bollinger(m): 4:26pm On Oct 28, 2015
ticker:
pls what does "we don enter one chance" mean?

It means Buhari is taking you all for a one way ride to nowhere.

3 Likes

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by ticker(m): 4:31pm On Oct 28, 2015
osaslord500:
If u are in the north and a Hausa man points you and say “wana yaro, acuya ne!!” my brother just run
wanan yaron Akuya ne" means "dis boy is a goat"
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by 123papas(m): 4:32pm On Oct 28, 2015
fi le = leave am
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by HawksDude(m): 4:33pm On Oct 28, 2015
Bollinger:

I remember my first week in chicago. I was in a bus and i dozed off. The normal way to disembark at your stop is to watch out for the name on a flashing dashboard by the driver and then pull on a chord in the center of the bus located overhead. Somehow i woke up just before my bus stop and panicked. I started screaming "owa". . ."owa" and everyone was looking at me like i was nuts. There was one chick sitting in the back of the bus laughing like crazy. That's how i knew she was Nigerian. She motioned to me to pull the chord. God i was so embarrassed. It's funny now. It wasn't funny then.

Hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!! I can imagine!!!

2 Likes

Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by ceezah: 5:05pm On Oct 28, 2015
Please what is "soro niyen" that I see people use on nairaland always.
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Profitsng(m): 5:08pm On Oct 28, 2015
Really useful for new comers..
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by tonychristopher: 5:14pm On Oct 28, 2015
What is obo NLA ..I hear that so much in Lagos
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Eddy2cute(m): 5:16pm On Oct 28, 2015
KashyBaby:
Lol...owambe.. grin
u go really like owanbe oooo
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Eddy2cute(m): 5:16pm On Oct 28, 2015
tonychristopher:
What is obo NLA ..I hear that so much in Lagos
mumu u don't know the meaning but u know how to spell it correctly abi?
Re: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos by Eddy2cute(m): 5:25pm On Oct 28, 2015
fako1:
Mtseeeeew! All dz butty OPs sef. I was hoping to open the thread and see slangs like

gboju (commot face).

ajuwaya (leave it)

buate (respect)

shandy or wazo (#50)

10 fiber (#100)

You get mouth (well connected)

Omo get Inside (Rich kid)

Alaye or Ogbeni (Mr man)

Owo epo (gate-crash party)

Odeku or 1759 (guiness stout)

Ashy (prostitute)

G (Advance free fraud).

Zanga (neigbhourhood).

Igbin (clitoris)

C.V (Computer village).

Eke (police)

Sojo (Soilder)

Sa mi je (kiss)

Leg (footwear)

Ike (Trophy)

Omo Indomie & Egg (A forming but cheap lady)

I better pass my neighbour (smallest generator).

Shanawaole (fireworks)

Toko-taya (key $ padlock)

Sule (Absurd).

Buga (proud)

O'gara (loaded)

Efiwe (Brilliant)

Champey (champion/champion's league)

Abeg i no fit shout, slangs yampian.
wa gba yi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The New Scam At Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos By Patrick Nwafor / Nigeria Have Suffered (my Experience On A Visit To India). / Abuja-Kaduna Train Attacked Twice On Monday 14/9/20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.