Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,170 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) (58283 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Visits Ayaba Maryam Adeniran Adeyemi, Wife Of His Father / Oba Rasheed Akanbi's Swag As He Steps Out For An Event (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by psalmsjob: 11:43am On Oct 29, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
Confused people confused culture confused throne. Papa na prince son na king. There is something wrong with all of them
Small Children Wise and Old People Wise na him dem take build Ife himself. So nothing strange about the strange situation it only proves that there is a higher being behind the selection.

The Ooni's earthly father Must better bow for his own good afterall a father's prayer is for his son to be greater than him.

As for me I envy the father more than the Ooni elect because the gods have honored him in no small measure if you analyze the situation deeply.

Long live to the "2" new Ooni of Ife. Ifa agbe yin o!

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by ODUBEZE: 11:45am On Oct 29, 2015
mapet:

In Yorubaland, fathers can opt to allow his son vie for the throne, especially when the father feels he's gotten too old or has health issues. Some fathers choose to just give it to the son as show of love.......
But is that the case?
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by seangy4konji: 11:46am On Oct 29, 2015
Mr falana. Watch your stalls and leave others alone.
scribble:

You sound like you need affirmation. Poor soul
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sweetgala(m): 11:47am On Oct 29, 2015
9jacrip:

I'm sorry but this post shows you are disconected from Ife and the selection process.

If you were in the know, you would know Obalufe probably knew they made a mistake with the Sijuade's selection from Ogboru and decided to correct the ills. This is why some houses took him to court before he passed.

Everything that brought this man on board was done right.

The rotational process was adhered to.

The family was left to do their internal selection.

Other families were allowed to find candidares internally just in case Giesi fails to find anyone worthy.

Giesi was able to present him alongside others from Giesi.

Connection to Ife and constant presence in Ife was considered.

Ifa decided and he was eventually picked.

This is not to say the cheifs did not collect goodies from other contenders when they knew Giesi was likely to get someone to fill in their turn.

I speak not of the apparent rotation process, Ogboru and Geisi are anciently same family so that is their business. Ife never rotated kings and if not for the wisdom of Aderemi in settling matters that rotation plan would not exist and it is rather rich for the Geisi family who have been kings now 8 times at a stage 4 in a row to ask for rotation.

What I speak of is the decision of the Obalufe to ignore the voice of reason and the petition by the town elites to choose another person from Geisi due to the history of this certain lad and the fact his father is alive. I'm well connected to Ife royal matters, this man's father and my parents are childhood friends, and still communicate , his mother's family are well known to my parents and his step mother I know in person over the past 20 years. I'm sure he is not the only person of repute in Geisi house

Good luck to him in his foray into a very precarious throne
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by BlackHuman(m): 11:50am On Oct 29, 2015
pat077:
So the father will have to prostrate to his son.
Even in the Bible, did David not become king while his farther (Jesse) was alive?

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by OBAGADAFFI: 11:50am On Oct 29, 2015
PDPwayoo:

Yoruuba culture is funny. How can someone be a king when his father is a common man?.................. In my culture kingship is hereditary. Even high chiefs are hereditary.

David was made king when his father is still alive.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by OBAGADAFFI: 11:51am On Oct 29, 2015
PDPwayoo:

Yoruuba culture is funny. How can someone be a king when his father is a common man?.................. In my culture kingship is hereditary. Even high chiefs are hereditary.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sweetgala(m): 11:52am On Oct 29, 2015
9jacrip:

Not as far as Ooniship is concerned.
What I know, from my circle is that you couldn't become a King or a Chief if your father was onthe Opo. You'd have to wait till your Father passes.

He didn't even indicate interest.

Or you're saying candidates in Lafogido, Osinkola and Ogboru should be considered?

It is Giesi's turn, if he spent money to secure his family's turn then good. You should fault people from other houses buying transformers, Suvs for chiefs, mounting bill boards, traveling to Kano when it is not their family's turn.

Things changed in 1980 when Sijuwade paid Geisi to surrender their turn, and with this latest development i'm sorry to say the Ooni throne may as well be a decoration. It has ceased to be the cradle of yoruba race and the keeper of yoruba culture and tradition.

Olojo festival would come around soon enough, we'll see what happens, unless he would not wear the aare crown

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nicepoker(m): 11:53am On Oct 29, 2015
lekan29ice:
Ifa choose the son
what is ifa.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 29, 2015
OBAGADAFFI:

leave David matter. WHERE IS THE GOLIATH?..................... the story of David without Goliath is false.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sweetgala(m): 11:59am On Oct 29, 2015
9jacrip:

There is nothing to argue.

Did Ifa not know his father was alive before it picked him amongst other Giesi contenders? Abi o fe ma pe ifa ni oniro abi Ifa se eke ni?

What is wrong with this generation?

Please which Ifa, The obalufe knows too well that Ifa thing is a hoax, humans tell ifa what to do
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by dollarathe(m): 11:59am On Oct 29, 2015
PDPwayoo:

leave David matter. WHERE IS THE GOLIATH?..................... the story of David without Goliath is false.
lol
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by MDOLOFU: 12:00pm On Oct 29, 2015
Yes because our people say it is in d eye of an elder a king is given birth to
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

Things changed in 1980 when Sijuwade paid Geisi to surrender their turn, and with this latest development i'm sorry to say the Ooni throne may as well be a decoration. It has ceased to be the cradle of yoruba race and the keeper of yoruba culture and tradition.

Olojo festival would come around soon enough, we'll see what happens, unless he would not wear the aare crown

Sijuade paid Giesi or Sijuade paid the chiefs and the local govt who then barred Giesi from presenting candidate(s) and only Ogboru was asked to forward their candidiate?

The result of this was Giesi suing Ogboru and Oranmiyan LG at that point. Where did you get your own history from sir?

The throne was messed up by the Ogboru son. The adherence to the traditional demands and duties ascribed to the throne will bring back its glory and hopfully beyond where Ooni Aderemi left it.

Yes, Olojo shall meet us all in good health and wealth, Ase. We will see how things pan out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

Please which Ifa, The obalufe knows too well that Ifa thing is a hoax, humans tell ifa what to do

You lost me here sir.

Ifa, hoax?

God bless you sir as you hold this thought.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by lekan29ice(m): 12:03pm On Oct 29, 2015
Nicepoker:
what is ifa.
Ifá is a religion and system of divination and
refers to the verses of the literary corpus
known as the Odu Ifá. Orunmila is identified
as the Grand Priest, as he is who revealed
divinity and prophecy to the world. Babalawo's
use either the divining chain known as Opele,
or the sacred palm or kola nuts called Ikin, on
the wooden divination tray called Opon Ifá .
Ifá is practiced throughout the Americas ,
West Africa, and the Canary Islands, in the
form of a complex religious system, and plays
a critical role in the traditions of Santería,
Candomblé , Palo, Umbanda , Vodou, and other
Afro-American faiths, as well as in some
traditional African religions .

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by newsance(m): 12:04pm On Oct 29, 2015
As in ehn....they were both princes and now the son has been elevated to the position of a king.... #shit happens

eyeview:
[/b][b]
Let me get this straight...
His father is prince while the son is king.
Ok
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by playboy19(m): 12:10pm On Oct 29, 2015
delman88:

you are wrong. its a taboo if d father bows.

Nope. Not in the case of an Oba. In the Yoruba tradition the respect is more on the throne itself and not on the man on the throne. Every man and woman must bow to whoever ascend The throne, even if you are older than methuselah.

Immediately you become an Oba, you become the father of all. Everybody under that kingdom become your subject and worship you regardless of your age. Plus this is just for Oba, how much more an Ooni.

All I can say is, this guy have no idea what he is getting into until he properly settle into it. The throne of an Ooni is not just a throne you aspire to ascend into. You must be chosen by Ifa to lead the whole of Yoruba race. Once you are chosen, you are lucky and unlucky at the same time. It's crazzy.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

I speak not of the apparent rotation process, Ogboru and Geisi are anciently same family so that is their business. Ife never rotated kings and if not for the wisdom of Aderemi in settling matters that rotation plan would not exist and it is rather rich for the Geisi family who have been kings now 8 times at a stage 4 in a row to ask for rotation.

What I speak of is the decision of the Obalufe to ignore the voice of reason and the petition by the town elites to choose another person from Geisi due to the history of this certain lad and the fact his father is alive. I'm well connected to Ife royal matters, this man's father and my parents are childhood friends, and still communicate , his mother's family are well known to my parents and his step mother I know in person over the past 20 years. I'm sure he is not the only person of repute in Geisi house

Ife did not rotate kings because the families saw themselves as one until recent years when they decided to form blocks to differentiate who was from where and who gets what turn.

A little before Aderemi, there was rotation and the pattern was what was carried into Aderemi's era and remains the blue print for selection till today.

Those who wrote petitions was not because they wanted to raise the voice of reason but rather to make a mess of the process. The rotation was agreed upon and exists until Ogboru cut corners. Now, Ogboru and Aderemi/Osinkola wanted a go at the throne again, what for? It was more of a selfish move to bar the Otun Ife from following the laid down guidelines and preventing Giesi from presenting candidates.

There were over 40 applicants to one throne! If the rotation was not followed, you think Ife would not have been enmeshed into violence by now considering how almost political the applicants campaigned with banners, printed shirts, flyers, bill boards etc and going into Modakeke to draw alliance or seek more spiritual powers?

Maybe you are well connected to Ife Royal family which is good. I am not only an offspring of Obatala/Iranje Idita/Isoro ife but als the Orunto compound in Jaojo line under Adeyemo but most importantly, I'm ever present in Ife and follow the scheme of things on the traditional, political and spiritual levels so I know what I am talking about.

He may not be a person of repute as you think but every person has skeletons yo!

Finally, you must have forgotten the throne of Ife's candidate selection has been about who is wealthy since Lajamisan who begath all the 4 lines.

Eni ti wan ba da eji ogbe fun ti o ni aje lowo ni o nje Oba ni ife. Ever wonder why they call Odu Eji Ogbe the Ifa of Ooni alone? And anyone who has it will have qualities of an Ooni and also become Oba someday?
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sweetgala(m): 12:29pm On Oct 29, 2015
9jacrip:

Ife did not rotate kings because the families saw themselves as one until recent years when they decided to form blocks to differentiate who was from where and who gets what turn.

A little before Aderemi, there was rotation and the pattern was what was carried into Aderemi's era and remains the blue print for selection till today.

Those who wrote petitions was not because they wanted to raise the voice of reason but rather to make a mess of the process. The rotation was agreed upon and exists until Ogboru cut corners. Now, Ogboru and Aderemi/Osinkola wanted a go at the throne again, what for? It was more of a selfish move to bar the Otun Ife from following the laid down guidelines and preventing Giesi from presenting candidates.

There were over 40 applicants to one throne! If the rotation was not followed, you think Ife would not have been enmeshed into violence by now considering how almost political the applicants campaigned with banners, printed shirts, flyers, bill boards etc and going into Modakeke to draw alliance or seek more spiritual powers?

Maybe you are well connected to Ife Royal family which is good. I am not only an offspring of Obatala/Iranje Idita/Isoro ife but als the Orunto compound in Jaojo line under Adeyemo but most importantly, I'm ever present in Ife and follow the scheme of things on the traditional, political and spiritual levels so I know what I am talking about.

He may not be a person of repute as you think but every person has skeletons yo!

Finally, you must have forgotten the throne of Ife's candidate selection has been about who is wealthy since Lajamisan who begath all the 4 lines.

Eni ti wan ba da eji ogbe fun ti o ni aje lowo ni o nje Oba ni ife. Ever wonder why they call Odu Eji Ogbe the Ifa of Ooni alone? And anyone who has it will have qualities of an Ooni and also become Oba someday?

If you are from the Adeyemo family that is great and I can see you are versed in the tradition , The Eji Ogbe idea has been exploited here we both know too well his throne was bought, many kings before him come to the throne via success as pre-requisite. I'm glad the rotation was out in place by Aderemi because he obviously had the foresight and saw what the future would hold if it was not put in place , but even you know that from history the 43nd through to 46 kings were from geisi.

I'm very concerned about his living father thou, you and I know that is a tricky bit
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by shadrach77: 12:30pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

You are silly sir. There is no rule in Ife that states that someone cannot be King except the father is dead. His father wasn't an Ooni. The Giesi family had only been kings in 3 previous occasions. They should have been the ones to occupy the stool in 1980 but Sijuwade used his influence and money to secure the stool. The choice of this guy as King was unanimous. Pls don't say what you don't know
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sweetgala(m): 12:34pm On Oct 29, 2015
9jacrip:

Sijuade paid Giesi or Sijuade paid the chiefs and the local govt who then barred Giesi from presenting candidate(s) and only Ogboru was asked to forward their candidiate?

The result of this was Giesi suing Ogboru and Oranmiyan LG at that point. Where did you get your own history from sir?

The throne was messed up by the Ogboru son. The adherence to the traditional demands and duties ascribed to the throne will bring back its glory and hopfully beyond where Ooni Aderemi left it.

Yes, Olojo shall meet us all in good health and wealth, Ase. We will see how things pan out.

I have it on good report influence certain members of the Geisi family received gifts from Sijuade which paved his way to the throne. The Geisi family is huge and some elements who were not in support of that move took legal action.

On that Aderemi part, forget it, I doubt this fella can even do half, The great kings are gone. The Olowo of Owo seems to still keep the traditions and rites alive in his domain.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sweetgala(m): 12:36pm On Oct 29, 2015
shadrach77:

You are silly sir. There is no rule in Ife that states that someone cannot be King except the father is dead. His father wasn't an Ooni. The Giesi family had only been kings in 3 previous occasions. They should have been the ones to occupy the stool in 1980 but Sijuwade used his influence and money to secure the stool. The choice of this guy as King was unanimous. Pls don't say what you don't know

lets leave the insult out buddy no need for it, What exactly do you know about the history of the stool, the Geisi family have occupied the throne a total of 6 times this making it the 7th. The Lafogido are same with Osinkola having 4 Kings and Ogboru with 5.

Come back when you are ready to learn

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by fuke(m): 12:41pm On Oct 29, 2015
homesteady:
Would the father bow before him?

The father will not only bow but prostrate.

The Ooni stool is so important and cultural nobody
dares toy with it or else you put a course on your generations.

People should stop all this rubbish about buying cars and helicopters for the kingmakers.

There are Ife princes who could swallow this young man with money.

Right from his youth, he had been destined for this throne known to Sijuade himself.

Sijuade himself, born on the coronation day of Adremei was destined from that very day.

This man is chosen, we have to accept him.

OOni is a deity, nobody can risk toying with anything concerning it.

kabiyesi, wecome to the throne of yopur grandfathers,.

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

If you are from the Adeyemo family that is great and I can see you are versed in the tradition , The Eji Ogbe idea has been exploited here we both know too well his throne was bought, many kings before him come to the throne via success as pre-requisite. I'm glad the rotation was out in place by Aderemi because he obviously had the foresight and saw what the future would hold if it was not put in place , but even you know that from history the 43nd through to 46 kings were from geisi.

I'm very concerned about his living father thou, you and I know that is a tricky bit

My grandma is Adeyemo, her sister (my grandaunt) is the Iyaloja of Ife. She is not very active anymore and in her 80s so maybe someone else is running the post which I can't say.

Eji Ogbe is not just an idea, except maybe to you.

The rotation was not put in place by Baba Aderemi, it has been in existence before him.

Lafogido has had more kings than anyone, closely followed by Giesi and Osinkola and lastly Ogboru.

Citing my exchange with Saxywale below:

9jacrip:

From the above starting from Ojigidiri to Gbegba-aje, there was rotation.

Then from Derin Ologbenla to Aderemi there was rotation.

What I deduce is that there is rotation but a pattern of what seems like a break in this rotation at intervals.

This is what the colonialists followed and also the government of the western region followed post independence not necessarily Oba Aderemi although he was the Premiere at that point.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 29, 2015
sweetgala:

I have it on good report influence certain members of the Geisi family received gifts from Sijuade which paved his way to the throne. The Geisi family is huge and some elements who were not in support of that move took legal action.

On that Aderemi part, forget it, I doubt this fella can even do half, The great kings are gone. The Olowo of Owo seems to still keep the traditions and rites alive in his domain.

The Olowo of Owo may appear to be holding tradition strong because he did it like those before him.

K'ase bi wan ti nse is what Yoruba would always say. If Ooni Adeyeye does it the way those before him (apart from Olubuse II) did it then there's no way he would not end up being great.

Lajamisan was wealthy, as a result he became Ooni, the fore feathers of these 4 houses already set a standard.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sherrylo: 12:49pm On Oct 29, 2015
simplycarro:

Yes.

NEVER!
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sherrylo: 12:52pm On Oct 29, 2015
delman88:

you are wrong. its a taboo if d father bows.

Thank
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sherrylo: 12:56pm On Oct 29, 2015
9jacrip:

Taboo? Where? In my hometown or yours? Or are you from Ife?

Both his parents will bow before him, even his grand parents.

You are wrong. The father will never bow for him even in Ife. Its a taboo. The mother can roll on the floor as much as she want after all mothers kneel pleading always.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 29, 2015
sherrylo:

You are wrong. The father will never bow for him even in Ife. Its a taboo.

If the father finds himself at the palace, he won't have a choice than to go on his knees while the Mother goes down on just one knee.

There are Obas in my compound (Obas are Chiefs in Ife) whose parents are still alive but upon entering their domains, they go on their knees.

If the father won't bow then why should the many Otun and Osi Ife, some who are older than his father bow to him?

It is the crown and the throne they bow to not the person on the throne.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by successinlife: 12:59pm On Oct 29, 2015
PDPwayoo:

There is nothing funny in Yoruba culture.Are Ibo's not claiming allegiance or attachment to Israel?why was David made king at a tender age by prophet Samuel when his brothers were alive and more matured.Ibos should relate how kingship operates in the bible with yoruba culture for better understanding.Ibo's have not been led by central heads before,what Ibo's are used to is clan/village chiefs(igwe),i have not heard of Kings in Ibo kingdom hence your system of leadership is not sacred rather to the highest bidders that is why you people can't comprehend how yoruba kings come about.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) by sherrylo: 1:04pm On Oct 29, 2015
9jacrip:

If the father finds himself at the palace, he won't have a choice than to go on his knees while the Mother goes down on just one knee.

There are Obas in my compound (Obas are Chiefs in Ife) whose parents are still alive but upon entering their domains, they go on their knees.

If the father won't bow then why should the many Otun and Osi Ife, some who are older than his father bow to him?

It is the crown and the throne they bow to not the person on the throne.

Yeah older people will bow but not the biological father. Its a taboo.

The king will not go anywhere unannounced that's why him and the father will not be seen publicly after he is crowned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hilarious Quotes In Igbo Language / Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.