Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

History Of A Name "omotoso" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / History Of A Name "omotoso" (9880 Views)

The History Of Fuel Subsidy In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of A Name "omotoso" by meoo: 6:45pm On May 07, 2009
Does anyone know anything about the last name Omotoso or Omotosho.
I know some times certain last names have certain meanings and some last names you will know a little about the person because of there last name.

I know it comes from Ibadan, Oyo
I think I even saw a village online with that name
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by tpiah: 9:45pm On May 07, 2009
its a very common Yoruba surname, I think.

I dont know the meaning.
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by FLGators1: 1:17am On May 08, 2009
I love that name.

Omotoso, so lovely. kiss kiss
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by meoo: 4:15am On May 08, 2009
tpiah:

its a very common Yoruba surname, I think.

I dont know the meaning.

really I always here ppl say things that make me think different

One man told me its a compound surname, he said something like people with that last name belong to some kind of cast system or all omotoso are conected in a certain way.
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by meoo: 4:16am On May 08, 2009
FL Gators!:

I love that name.

Omotoso, so lovely. kiss kiss

Thank you
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by topsy25(m): 8:21am On May 08, 2009
Hmmnn!!!

Though i've heard this name several times and even know people with the name; I had never thought of its meaning.

Its difficult to understand but let's try break the name and see if we can get the meaning.

omo means child,

I think tosho are two words joined together. In yoruba language, there's something called: Ipaoroje i.e. you can join two words together by removing one or two letters and instead use: ' e.g. pami ki n ku becomes pami'nku undecided

Therefore, "tosho" could mean "tohun a nso"

"tohun a nso" means its good to watch over.

From the above therefore, omotosho will mean: A child is good enough to watch over undecided wink

Clap for me nau grin grin grin grin grin grin

As for the history, I no no oooooooooo
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by Nobody: 9:48am On May 08, 2009
//
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by meoo: 5:35pm On May 08, 2009
topsy25:

Hmmnn!!!

Though i've heard this name several times and even know people with the name; I had never thought of its meaning.

Its difficult to understand but let's try break the name and see if we can get the meaning.

omo means child,

I think tosho are two words joined together. In yoruba language, there's something called: Ipaoroje i.e. you can join two words together by removing one or two letters and instead use: ' e.g. pami ki n ku becomes pami'nku undecided

From the above therefore, omotosho will mean: A child is good enough to watch over undecided wink

wow your good( clap clap)   wink

chaircover:

@ Topsy25 - sorry to burst your bubble. I think The accent is wrong on that meaning. I will clap sha, You tried grin

All I know is what has been said before thats its an Ibadan compound name with links to Inalende near Mokola in Ibadan and the family farm at Akinyele near Moniya.

@chaircover I am going to nigeria very soon for the 2nd time since I was very small.
trying to learn more about my history. with what you said what do you know about the  areas you brought up??
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by tpiah: 5:51pm On May 08, 2009
Omotoso is a very common name across Yorubaland.

Its found in different states and I doubt every family with that name is related, or from Ibadan.

I stand corrected if I'm wrong though.

meoo, you also have to ask the older people in your family for specifics. Are you from Ibadan?
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by meoo: 6:17pm On May 08, 2009
tpiah:

Its found in different states and I doubt every family with that name is related, or from Ibadan.

meoo, you also have to ask the older people in your family for specifics. Are you from Ibadan?

yes my family comes from there
are you sure across the hole yorubaland, every time I tell my last name to someone they say "oh your from Oyo state"
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by tpiah: 7:07pm On May 08, 2009
meoo:

are you sure across the hole yorubaland, every time I tell my last name to someone they say "oh your from Oyo state"

they do?

Most of the people I've met called Omotoso, arent from Oyo state, to the best of my knowledge. This is the first time I'm learning the name is supposed to be from Oyo/Ibadan.
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by topsy25(m): 8:35am On May 11, 2009
tpiah:

I guess I'll agree with tpiah on this. But my defination still stands grin cool
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by mrspepeye: 3:16pm On Jun 13, 2010
i am sure that all omotoshos do not originate from ibadan as i am not from ibadan but the meaning of omotosho is wll broken down, thanks u do deserve a clap, to say the truth i just knew the meaning of my surname today and that a big thanks to u
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by Shinatu: 9:07am On Jun 15, 2010
Omotoso could mean - A child is like ( or as good as /up to) a jewel.

Esho generally in yoruba means jewels

3 Likes

Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by Digital(f): 9:26am On Jun 15, 2010
Shinatu:

Omotoso could mean - A child is like ( or as good as /up to) a jewel.

Esho generally in yoruba means jewels

I will go with this, Omotosho
OMO O TO ESHO, that is child is like something you value, your jewel

topsy25:

Hmmnn!!!

omo means child,

If it were to be this d pronunciation thing it will be- (re mi re mi)
but Omotosho is (re mi do mi)

i don dey sweat
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by adultebony(m): 4:21pm On Jul 08, 2010
Omo to oun Esho - A child is like a jewel
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by vanitty: 9:34pm On May 14, 2012
There are some Omotosho's in Kwara State as well
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 15, 2012
my friend, S. Omotosho is from Ekiti state. The name isn't indigenous to families from Oyo/Ibadan alone.
Re: History Of A Name "omotoso" by Geomac: 10:00am On May 16, 2012
My friend from Ekiti is also Omotosho

(1) (Reply)

My Father In Law Slept With My Mother / A Male Child Or Female(which Is More Important) / My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.