Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,221 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken (70268 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 5:04pm On Nov 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
cry cry cry

Here comes Omonnakoda, the shadow of TheSonOfMark, the one I slayed some time ago!

Are you here for more?

The one who puts words into people's mouth!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 5:07pm On Nov 03, 2015
omonnakoda:
cry cry cry

I know you wouldn't fail to expose your dumbness here grin! I'm proud of you kiddo! You never fail to meet my expectations.

You should just run away to Vegas with TheSonOfMark and get married as gay couples; raise some dimwitted children and die off!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by LondonCool(m): 1:22am On Nov 04, 2015
naijaguy77:

Are you sick? Since when did Oron people become Ibibio? And since when did Oro language or even Efik language become an Ibibio dialect?

Just consider the following facts:

1) Oro people speak oro language, they also generally understand Efik language but only because the bible was first translated into Efik, so the missionaries used Efik to spread the gospel. Even in the most rural parts of Oro, people can understand efik, but ibibio is some irritating sound that no one relates to.

2) Ibibio is a dialect of Efik, not the other way around. Efik is the main language, it is understood by everyone, Efiks, Oros, Ibibios, Anangs, etc. The Efik bible is what is used from Ikot Ekpene to Ikot Ansa, so I wonder which alternate universe you live in where Ibibio is a language and Efik is a dialect?

3) What are the characteristics of a language, as opposed to a dialect? Efik is studied in university, Efik has poetry and artistic music from Inyang Nta Henshaw to Peter Effiom, plays and playwrights, literary luminaries, Professors of Efik language such as E.N. Amaku, Efik alphabets and etymology. Jesus, what is ibibio? Ibibio is a barbaric dialect of the efik language.

Comparing Efik and Ibibio is like comparing Queens Engligh to Pidgin English, just because more idiots speak pidgin English doesn't make it the language, it is still the sub-language/dialect of proper English.

Maybe becuase you have started getting some oil money (which you don't even produce a drop of oil, oil is produced by Oros, Ibenos, and Obolos) and you are no longer houseboy and housegirl, you think you can come on nairaland and denigrate other people's culture and language? You better think again.

The Ibibios, up until recently, have been something of 2nd class citizens in that region. Because they live in the hinterland (despite being in a predominantly Riverine/coastal region) , they had the following misfortunes:

1) The Efiks and Oros are coastal people and their main commodity during the slave trade era were ibibios. They sold ibibios to Europe slave traders and this led to the generally perception of the ibibios as inferior. Since they had no access to the coast and were mere commodity.

2) During the colonial and missionary era, the Europeans first settled in the coast - Lagos, Calabar, Oron etc. Because of this, Education and Administrative generally went to people from the coastal regions, hence the reason why you find the oldest schools in these areas - Hope Waddell Training Institute Calabar, Methodist Boys High School Oron, St. Patrick's College Calabar, Kings College Lagos, etc. Because of this, the ibibios had no access to Education until the late 20th century. This naturally placed them at a disadvantage to the Efiks and Oros, who are coastal people and had earlier interaction with Europeans, embraced western education early, etc.

Today, you see jokers come on the internet to proclaim a barbaric dialect as a language. Can you tell us even one seminal work done in the ibibio dialect? None. You think a sound is considered a language because it is chanted by numerous monkeys?

What a joke.

The main language of the Lower Cross River Basin is EFIK. The dialects of Efik include Ibibio and Anang. Some related languages to Efik are Oro and Ibeno.

Your dialectics is 100% spot on.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by LondonCool(m): 1:54am On Nov 04, 2015
fratermathy:

Why cant you be sane enough to make points without attacking someone's personality? Im I an Ibibio or an Efik person? Is it now a crime to research and document tribes I love? Must you insult me?

I cant speak any of these languages and all I wrote are research based. Whether Efik, Anaang, Ibibio, Ibeno, all I know is that they are one people of same stock. If you disagree, you can troll off. If you know so much about your people why haven't you written a thread on them before now? I am showing off your people to the world and you are insulting me. Chei.

That said, my research says Efik is a DIALECT of Ibibio. If you don't agree with whatever I wrote, write a counter-thread. Dont come to my thread and insult my person. No one has a monopoly of insults.

You shouldn't masquerade your personal unsubstantiated research as facts and present it to the public. It will open you to scrutiny. Most of your assertions were glaringly wrong.

Nsibidi isn't an Ibibio concept. The origin of Nsibidi is from the Ekoi's and was widely used by the Ekpe members of the Efiks and Egbe/Mgbe members from the Ekoi's to secretly communicate using symbols.

Ibibio's don't have Ekpe or Obon fraternities, they use Ekpo

Hope Waddell Training Institution , Calabar and Methodist Boys High School Oron are not in Ibibioland, and doesn't support your premise.

Ibibio language can not be written, it has no set of grammatical rules, they are still trying to invent an Ibibio etymology- something that the British Missionaries abandoned due to the difficulties and complexities involved. Efik language is still being used in Churches throughout Akwa Ibom whenever the Bible is being read or hymns are being sung. This gave the Efik language a cultural superiority over Ibibio language, something similar to the spread of Russian language over the former Soviet Republics.

Obongship is a concept the Ibibio's borrowed from the Efiks recently. They never used to call their heads or rulers Obong as a title.

There are lots of second and third generation Ibibio's living in Calabar South, Akamkpa, Odukpani and Akpabuyo, but most of them have adopted Efik names or speak Efik as their main language as a result of cultural assimilation over the years.

The origin of the word Ibibio is from Efik. It means the SHORT PEOPLE. Ibio-ibio =Short short.

The origin of the word Efik is from Ibibio. It means the OPPRESSORS. Fik= Press. E-fik nyin= They oppressed us.

Historical the Efik ship merchants used to raid the Ibibio hinterlands and catch Ibibio people for the Slave merchants while the rest were sent to the farm plantations in Akpabuyo as servants. It was this notoriety that made the Ibibio's to call them Efik.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by BabaTony: 2:59am On Nov 04, 2015
OP YOU DID A VERY INSIGHTFUL RESEARCH, DON'T MIND ALL THESE PEOPLE TRYING SO HARD TO DENY THE OBVIOUS. UNTIL TOMORROW IBIBIO IS THE MOTHER ETHNIC GROUP, OTHERS ARE DIALECTS, RESEARCHERS HAVE PROVEN THIS TIME AND TIME AGAIN. NO AMOUNT OF ABUSE AND SLANDER CAN CHANGE THIS FACT. WHAT IS VERY OBVIOUS TO ME WITH THREAD IS THE FACT THAT THE ORON PEOPLE ESPECIALLY STILL HAVE NOT LEARNT THEIR LESSON AND THEREBY STILL HAVE A LOOOONG WAY TO GO. I PERCEIVE SO MUCH HATRED OF WHICH I CANNOT PLACE MY FINGER ON WHERE ITS COMING FROM. I SUSPECT POLITICS! WHICH IS VERY SAD BECAUSE IF IT CONTINUES THIS WAY ONLY GOD KNOWS THE FINAL CONSEQUENCES.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 4:24am On Nov 04, 2015
fratermathy:

I know my mother wouldn't fail to expose her dumbness anywhere grin! I'm proud of her! She never fails to meet my expectations.

.She should just run away to Vegas with TheSonOfMark and get married raise some dimwitted children,like me and die off!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by pazienza(m): 8:43am On Nov 04, 2015
The origin of the word Ibibio is from Efik. It means the SHORT PEOPLE. Ibio-ibio =Short short.
The origin of the word Efik is from Ibibio. It means the OPPRESSORS. Fik= Press. E-fik nyin= They oppressed us.
Historical the Efik ship merchants used to raid the Ibibio hinterlands and catch Ibibio people for the Slave merchants while the rest were sent to the farm plantations in Akpabuyo as servants. It was this notoriety that made the Ibibio's to call them Efik.

Damn! This was very bad of the Efiks. This was similar to what the Aros and their allies where doing to the hinterland lying Igbo clans.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by BabaTony: 9:05am On Nov 04, 2015
naijaguy77:

Are you sick? Since when did Oron people become Ibibio? And since when did Oro language or even Efik language become an Ibibio dialect?

Just consider the following facts:

1) Oro people speak oro language, they also generally understand Efik language but only because the bible was first translated into Efik, so the missionaries used Efik to spread the gospel. Even in the most rural parts of Oro, people can understand efik, but ibibio is some irritating sound that no one relates to.

2) Ibibio is a dialect of Efik, not the other way around. Efik is the main language, it is understood by everyone, Efiks, Oros, Ibibios, Anangs, etc. The Efik bible is what is used from Ikot Ekpene to Ikot Ansa, so I wonder which alternate universe you live in where Ibibio is a language and Efik is a dialect?

3) What are the characteristics of a language, as opposed to a dialect? Efik is studied in university, Efik has poetry and artistic music from Inyang Nta Henshaw to Peter Effiom, plays and playwrights, literary luminaries, Professors of Efik language such as E.N. Amaku, Efik alphabets and etymology. Jesus, what is ibibio? Ibibio is a barbaric dialect of the efik language.

Comparing Efik and Ibibio is like comparing Queens Engligh to Pidgin English, just because more idiots speak pidgin English doesn't make it the language, it is still the sub-language/dialect of proper English.

Maybe becuase you have started getting some oil money (which you don't even produce a drop of oil, oil is produced by Oros, Ibenos, and Obolos) and you are no longer houseboy and housegirl, you think you can come on nairaland and denigrate other people's culture and language? You better think again.

The Ibibios, up until recently, have been something of 2nd class citizens in that region. Because they live in the hinterland (despite being in a predominantly Riverine/coastal region) , they had the following misfortunes:

1) The Efiks and Oros are coastal people and their main commodity during the slave trade era were ibibios. They sold ibibios to Europe slave traders and this led to the generally perception of the ibibios as inferior. Since they had no access to the coast and were mere commodity.

2) During the colonial and missionary era, the Europeans first settled in the coast - Lagos, Calabar, Oron etc. Because of this, Education and Administrative generally went to people from the coastal regions, hence the reason why you find the oldest schools in these areas - Hope Waddell Training Institute Calabar, Methodist Boys High School Oron, St. Patrick's College Calabar, Kings College Lagos, etc. Because of this, the ibibios had no access to Education until the late 20th century. This naturally placed them at a disadvantage to the Efiks and Oros, who are coastal people and had earlier interaction with Europeans, embraced western education early, etc.

Today, you see jokers come on the internet to proclaim a barbaric dialect as a language. Can you tell us even one seminal work done in the ibibio dialect? None. You think a sound is considered a language because it is chanted by numerous monkeys?

What a joke.

The main language of the Lower Cross River Basin is EFIK. The dialects of Efik include Ibibio and Anang. Some related languages to Efik are Oro and Ibeno.

Another mad Efik monkey on the loose. This all you are known for-foul language, animalistic reasoning, fatally delusional with great posseion of the cave mentality. The very decent Ibibio people will forever deal with you and haunt you all the days of your life. Is it not a shame to you that an urhobo man knows more of your history than you? Shame Shame Shame indeed! Don't even think of ranting back because its going to be a waste of time. HISTORY CANT BE CHANGED BY IT.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by LondonCool(m): 11:10am On Nov 04, 2015
BabaTony:

Another mad Efik monkey on the loose. This all you are known for-foul language, animalistic reasoning, fatally delusional with great posseion of the cave mentality. The very decent Ibibio people will forever deal with you and haunt you all the days of your life. Is it not a shame to you that an urhobo man knows more of your history than you? Shame Shame Shame indeed! Don't even think of ranting back because its going to be a waste of time. HISTORY CANT BE CHANGED BY IT.

You haven't made any cogent point about the Ibibio dialect or the false assertion that Efik, Annang,Oro and Ekit are sub-dialects of the Ibibio language.

Efik language is still spoken in Uruan LGA in Uyo. Mbiakong and Idu Uruan are Efik settlements in Uruan/Uyo that still speak Efik. Efik is spoken in Itu ( Akwa Ibom), Ikot Offiong (which was ethnically cleansed and burnt down ) is an Efik settlement in Akwa Ibom, Oku Iboku speak a mixture of Efik and Ibibio, Obot Itu speak Efik.

Efik has never been a sub dialect of Ibibio. Efik has been a WAEC O'Level subject throughout the 1960's-1980's.

When you go to church in your village what Bible do you use? Can you recite or write down Psalm 23 in Ibibio language without using Efik words?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by omonnakoda: 12:15pm On Nov 04, 2015
pazienza:

Damn! This was very bad of the Efiks. This was similar to what the Aros and their allies where doing to the hinterland lying Igbo clans.

To this day the Akamkpas rule in Aro. The Akamkpas civilized the Aros and took over and then started taking the Eboes as slaves
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by BabaTony: 12:16pm On Nov 04, 2015
LondonCool:

You haven't made any cogent point about the Ibibio dialect or the false assertion that Efik, Annang,Oro and Ekit are sub-dialects of the Ibibio language.

Efik language is still spoken in Uruan LGA in Uyo. Mbiakong and Idu Uruan are Efik settlements in Uruan/Uyo that still speak Efik. Efik is spoken in Itu ( Akwa Ibom), Ikot Offiong (which was ethnically cleansed and burnt down ) is an Efik settlement in Akwa Ibom, Oku Iboku speak a mixture of Efik and Ibibio, Obot Itu speak Efik.

Efik has never been a sub dialect of Ibibio. Efik has been a WAEC O'Level subject throughout the 1960's-1980's.

When you go to church in your village what Bible do you use? Can you recite or write down Psalm 23 in Ibibio language without using Efik words?

The fact that efik was adopted by the british colonials some time ago through voting in calabar -efik won by just one vote by the way does not in anyway invalidate the fact that their ancestors migrated from uruan in akwa ibom to establish at calabar. I am not just talking, these are historical facts, if you need them I can freely email them to you. Facts written by European missionaries (who have no bias towards anybody) and based their writtings on oral history gathered from all these these ethnic groups who told the gospel truth back then before politics crept in. The OP did a very good research job, I don't think he has anything to gain from stating that ibibio was the name all these groups were known as before the dialectical differences came in.Attacking him because you think otherwise is not decent at all.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 04, 2015

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 04, 2015
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 12:51pm On Nov 04, 2015
bulletproof1:
How much where you paid to create this trash. Delete this useless thread or God is going to punish you and your entire family severely. I promise you that your life will be full of unknown mystery if you do not cancel this thread. How dare you! You deserve maximum penalty (death sentence) for travesty against the great Oron nation.

Thank you. wink grin

Calm down and reduce hostilities.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 12:55pm On Nov 04, 2015
omonnakoda:

Oh stop trolling already! It's become too old.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 04, 2015

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Jewelbaby01(f): 1:26pm On Nov 04, 2015
fratermathy:

We have already flogged this issue too much. Kindly go through the previous posts!
Thank you
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 04, 2015

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by BabaTony: 2:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
bulletproof1:
Shut your dirty ibibio mouth ,you parasitic slave .What lesson? You mean the mistake of Oron and Ibeno being included in Akwa ibom by Babangida and now having to feed your ugly ass? Well guess what,your free ride will be over within the next 2years when additional states are created. The only thing ibibios are good at is overpopulation.multiplying like rabbits and doing houseboy and gateman. Idiiot!

You must be a very dirty boy! As a proud ibibio son i will not join issues with an animal like you. If its too hard for you to take, the Atlantic is at your backyard. Go and drown there.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 04, 2015

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 5:23pm On Nov 04, 2015
bulletproof1:
You are an educated illiterate . What University did you graduate from? I'm guessing one of the local universities near you like uniyo,unical or uniport. I suggest you go demand a refund for your certificate is worthless and you are unemployable.
First of all,every language in the world can be written and is unique and was created by God. I use to think Chinese and Japanese were weird until I visited those countries and got acquainted to those languages. A language is simply more popular based on the zone and population of the speakers. English is more popular than German because English propagated their language and had more speakers. If Germany had more speakers,then English would sound different to you.
Ibibio language is popular in uyo because it's ibibio zone and ibibio has a larger population . Ibibio is known in nigeria due to ibibio houseboy housegirl syndrome,etc. If Oron and Ibeno get a new state ,then Oron would be the popular there. If Annang and Obolo get a new state ,then Annang would be the popular one there.. I don't think alot of you have traveled outside your local village to understand world linguistics.
Now listen carefully while I attempt to resuscitate your dead brain. All around the world,you can find regions with linguistic similarities. One example:A region in Northwestern Europe (Nordic or Norden) (Swedish,Norwegian,Danish and Finish)Norwegian,Swedish and Danish are more similar like Ibibio,Efik and Annang ,while Swedish is unintelligible with the others like Oron. Each of these languages are popular in their respective regions.But if you merge them as one country or state,then Norwegian is like to be more popular due to larger population.
It is foolish to insinuate that Swedish,Danish and Finnish are dialects of Norwegian.The fact is,there's just a nordic region which consist of linguistic neighbors .Each of the languages are unique in their own right..
Ahta! Sa oyo mbubia ivon ufok'n yak. Ubughu efo onwi ovughu uko. Abasi abak ma ovu. Oyebab akpakip.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 5:29pm On Nov 04, 2015
bulletproof1:
You are an educated illiterate . What University did you graduate from? I'm guessing one of the local universities near you like uniyo,unical or uniport. I suggest you go demand a refund for your certificate is worthless and you are unemployable.
First of all,every language in the world can be written and is unique and was created by God. I use to think Chinese and Japanese were weird until I visited those countries and got acquainted to those languages. A language is simply more popular based on the zone and population of the speakers. English is more popular than German because English propagated their language and had more speakers. If Germany had more speakers,then English would sound different to you.
Ibibio language is popular in uyo because it's ibibio zone and ibibio has a larger population . Ibibio is known in nigeria due to ibibio houseboy housegirl syndrome,etc. If Oron and Ibeno get a new state ,then Oron would be the popular there. If Annang and Obolo get a new state ,then Annang would be the popular one there.. I don't think alot of you have traveled outside your local village to understand world linguistics.
Now listen carefully while I attempt to resuscitate your dead brain. All around the world,you can find regions with linguistic similarities. One example:A region in Northwestern Europe (Nordic or Norden) (Swedish,Norwegian,Danish and Finish)Norwegian,Swedish and Danish are more similar like Ibibio,Efik and Annang ,while Swedish is unintelligible with the others like Oron. Each of these languages are popular in their respective regions.But if you merge them as one country or state,then Norwegian is like to be more popular due to larger population.
It is foolish to insinuate that Swedish,Danish and Finnish are dialects of Norwegian.The fact is,there's just a nordic region which consist of linguistic neighbors .Each of the languages are unique in their own right..
pls can you explain why Ibibio person will throw bomb at you if refered to as 'OWO-IBIBIO?

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by LondonCool(m): 5:58pm On Nov 04, 2015
BabaTony:

The fact that efik was adopted by the british colonials some time ago through voting in calabar -efik won by just one vote by the way does not in anyway invalidate the fact that their ancestors migrated from uruan in akwa ibom to establish at calabar. I am not just talking, these are historical facts, if you need them I can freely email them to you. Facts written by European missionaries (who have no bias towards anybody) and based their writtings on oral history gathered from all these these ethnic groups who told the gospel truth back then before politics crept in. The OP did a very good research job, I don't think he has anything to gain from stating that ibibio was the name all these groups were known as before the dialectical differences came in.Attacking him because you think otherwise is not decent at all.

I agree with you that along the course of Efik migration they settled briefly in Uruan before finally settling by the creeks in Old Calabar; but the point is that Uruan people do not speak Ibibio, they speak Efik language (even until now). This means that either Uruan originally spoke Efik before the Efiks arrived there or that the Efiks arrived there with their Efik language and the Uruan people (who are in the midst of Ibibio speaking villages) adopted and assimilated the Efik language of their guests.

My maternal great grandparents are from Uruan. My maternal granddad was the President of Uruan Union in Calabar as far back as the 1960's. Every year(in the 1970's) we use to make annual visits from Calabar to Uruan across the sea through Oron, so I can give firsthand evidence of the oral history of the people of Uruan, they had no links to the Ibibio's at all.

In 1964, there was an Enquiry into the Obongship dispute by A.K.Clark where the oral evidence about the evolution of the Efik language and history was documented.

Your assertion that Efik language was adopted by the Missionaries based on a voting criteria (of one vote) is quite absurd. How would the Missionaries adopt Ibibio language when they did not even have access to the Ibibio hinterlands? Calabar was a coastal state, business and trade was done by the creeks, riverside settlements. Who from Ibibioland welcomed the white-man to their land? That choice between the two languages wasn't even an option.

How many streets in Akwa Ibom are names after Missionaries or White people (even uptil now)? Where in Ibibio history did Ibibio people have interaction with White Missionaries? Even the villages that Mary Slessor visited in present day Akwa Ibom were Efik speaking satellite villages.

The White man did not visit Calabar/Efiks by fortitude. It was a carefully planned voyage. Reverend Hope Waddell was a Presbyterian Church missionary that was sent to Jamaica as a Missionary. In Jamaica they met a young Efik boy who told them about his homeland, Calabar, and about the need to bring the gospel to his people. In Jamaica there is a popular Calabar High School there presently, in recognition of the historical influence liked to the Efik slaves that were shipped there. Rev Hope Waddell got permission to change his mission from Jamaica to Calabar and thats how he came to Calabar. Reverend Goldie and Reverend Hewett spent years learning the Efik language in order to translate the New Testament Bible into Efik.

Why would they need to vote between using either Ibibio or Efik language in Calabar in the 18th century in Calabar ? Nearly all the Ibibio people in Calabar by then (18th century) were either SLAVES or HOUSEHELPS, the political/economic/religious significance of learning Ibibio language or choosing Ibibio over Efik language as the medium to translate the Bible by the Missionaries was non-existent.

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by BabaTony: 7:00pm On Nov 04, 2015
LondonCool:

I agree with you that along the course of Efik migration they settled briefly in Uruan before finally settling by the creeks in Old Calabar; but the point is that Uruan people do not speak Ibibio, they speak Efik language (even until now). This means that either Uruan originally spoke Efik before the Efiks arrived there or that the Efiks arrived there with their Efik language and the Uruan people (who are in the midst of Ibibio speaking villages) adopted and assimilated the Efik language of their guests.

My maternal great grandparents are from Uruan. My maternal granddad was the President of Uruan Union in Calabar as far back as the 1960's. Every year(in the 1970's) we use to make annual visits from Calabar to Uruan across the sea through Oron, so I can give firsthand evidence of the oral history of the people of Uruan, they had no links to the Ibibio's at all.

In 1964, there was an Enquiry into the Obongship dispute by A.K.Clark where the oral evidence about the evolution of the Efik language and history was documented.

Your assertion that Efik language was adopted by the Missionaries based on a voting criteria (of one vote) is quite absurd. How would the Missionaries adopt Ibibio language when they did not even have access to the Ibibio hinterlands? Calabar was a coastal state, business and trade was done by the creeks, riverside settlements. Who from Ibibioland welcomed the white-man to their land? That choice between the two languages wasn't even an option.

How many streets in Akwa Ibom are names after Missionaries or White people (even uptil now)? Where in Ibibio history did Ibibio people have interaction with White Missionaries? Even the villages that Mary Slessor visited in present day Akwa Ibom were Efik speaking satellite villages.

The White man did not visit Calabar/Efiks by fortitude. It was a carefully planned voyage. Reverend Hope Waddell was a Presbyterian Church missionary that was sent to Jamaica as a Missionary. In Jamaica they met a young Efik boy who told them about his homeland, Calabar, and about the need to bring the gospel to his people. In Jamaica there is a popular Calabar High School there presently, in recognition of the historical influence liked to the Efik slaves that were shipped there. Rev Hope Waddell got permission to change his mission from Jamaica to Calabar and thats how he came to Calabar. Reverend Goldie and Reverend Hewett spent years learning the Efik language in order to translate the New Testament Bible into Efik.

Why would they need to vote between using either Ibibio or Efik language in Calabar in the 18th century in Calabar ? Nearly all the Ibibio people in Calabar by then (18th century) were either SLAVES or HOUSEHELPS, the political/economic/religious significance of learning Ibibio language or choosing Ibibio over Efik language as the medium to translate the Bible by the Missionaries was non-existent.

Shame shame that you were told lies and you believed it!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by BabaTony: 7:05pm On Nov 04, 2015
bulletproof1:
Shut your dirty ibibio mouth ,you parasitic slave .What lesson? You mean the mistake of Oron and Ibeno being included in Akwa ibom by Babangida and now having to feed your ugly ass? Well guess what,your free ride will be over within the next 2years when additional states are created. The only thing ibibios are good at is overpopulation.multiplying like rabbits and doing houseboy and gateman. Idiiot!

Vomit from a delusional fooooool. Ibibios will forever whip your asses where ever you are. New state or not.we will lord over you. You should be gracious to seun for allowing you hide behind your screen to type rubbish. Coward!

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Fallen 100-Year-Old Tree In Oyo Rises Again, Pulls Crowd (Pictures) / I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.