Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,815 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken (70109 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by nsiba: 7:21pm On Mar 28, 2020
Blackking98:
I didn't say keep quiet, hell yes attack them back but not with hasty generalisation that you do. I do not see it as a family thing, you Know little or nothing about your ethnic group, after hausas and igbos, Akwa ibomites are the most spread out people in this country, infact for every one Akwa ibomite at home there are two outside the state, so if you feel those who have non ibibio mother's or those who grew up outside Akwa ibomites are not true ibibios then you need christ in your life, my point is majority of our sister tribes hold no grudge against us, so when addressing the few unfortunate ones just do it with that in mind, they will eventually fall back, I'll tell you a personal experience on why I'm saying so. About three years back there was a family I knew,there were from Central Cross river and there's this girl that stayed with them, I was shocked to find out she was Annang because she always joined her guardian's in insulting ibibios saying "ibibios are wicked" and other nasty things, we were all shocked in the family, fast forward something happened and her aunty told her the exact same words she used on other's on the girl meanwhile the girl was Annang sef, since that day she started tilting back to her roots, we started teaching her ibibio little by little and she finally came to her sensesand left them after realizing that blood is thicker than water, in Nigeria no one can differentiate who is ibibio or efik or annang or Oro, proof is in the experience I just narrated to you, we should put this internal squabbling aside and look at the bigger picture.

Many years ago EN Amaku slandered the Ibibios, the Enyong abatim man had to make a public recant after the heat in calabar reached boiling point. Years later Okon Uya from Oron did same he too publicly apologized

While I am 100% for AkwaCross common sense demands respect and tolerance for one another, the need for AkwaCross is a must because our collective existence in future anchors on it. We have no choice but to stand as one

The Yorubas, Igbos, hausas have promoted many unknown quantity to stardom this is something we see everyday. In music, movies, social media we can testify to this. Their population a big plus

While I will not use a single individual to generalize his/her people, I will not hesitate to call any fool to order. I have friends from all tribes very dear to me and I also have been STABBED BETRAYED by my own people, so why I will protect my heritage I will not stomach my people who are criminals
You are mixed and I envy you for that you have every reason to protect your mixed heritage
If you ask Dangote Adenuga Jim Ovia they will tell you that their people gave em the early start but the whole Nigerian made them what they are
I believe in my people but I believe more in a stronger and united AkwaCross inside Nigeria
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Blackking98(m): 8:41pm On Mar 28, 2020
nsiba:

Many years ago EN Amaku slandered the Ibibios, the Enyong abatim man had to make a public recant after the heat in calabar reached boiling point. Years later Okon Uya from Oron did same he too publicly apologized

While I am 100% for AkwaCross common sense demands respect and tolerance for one another, the need for AkwaCross is a must because our collective existence in future anchors on it. We have no choice but to stand as one

The Yorubas, Igbos, hausas have promoted many unknown quantity to stardom this is something we see everyday. In music, movies, social media we can testify to this. Their population a big plus

While I will not use a single individual to generalize his/her people, I will not hesitate to call any fool to order. I have friends from all tribes very dear to me and I also have been STABBED BETRAYED by my own people, so why I will protect my heritage I will not stomach my people who are criminals
You are mixed and I envy you for that you have every reason to protect your mixed heritage
If you ask Dangote Adenuga Jim Ovia they will tell you that their people gave em the early start but the whole Nigerian made them what they are
I believe in my people but I believe more in a stronger and united AkwaCross inside Nigeria
Exactly,I'm not against returning the favor but we should handle it personally and not with hasty generalisation. Not a United Akwa cross really but a United Efik and Akwa Ibom because other ethnicities in cross river don't really like us , I'm telling you from experience. Having parents from both sides of the river makes me see things differently bro,internal squabbling is nothing but petty at this point in time.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by nsiba: 9:38pm On Mar 28, 2020
Blackking98:
Exactly,I'm not against returning the favor but we should handle it personally and not with hasty generalisation. Not a United Akwa cross really but a United Efik and Akwa Ibom because other ethnicities in cross river don't really like us , I'm telling you from experience. Having parents from both sides of the river makes me see things differently bro,internal squabbling is nothing but petty at this point in time.

One thing that has really helped Akwa Ibom are d private electronic media and it is less than 6years old, right now we want the bill recognizing every due oil producing communities in Akwa Ibom to be signed this pacify many frailed nerves and give them a sense of belonging

What you are said about northern cross river is true is just like d Ebonyi state man I normally buy any phone accessories from telling me that he will never support IPOB cause they(Ebonyi) are not treated like others
We r small but together we have a landmass almost same with the SE, what I wish for is for more private radio, TV and newspapers to flood this region together with industries to provide jobs
The youths of this generation really need a big break from their parents, our parents many were myopic but this generation with so many information at their disposal youths really need to start asking deep questions

I look forward to a time when we all in both states will sit down in a conference tell each other the hard truth and work for a greater tomorrow
We are too small, very small to be antagonizing ourselves
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Blackking98(m): 10:24pm On Mar 28, 2020
nsiba:

One thing that has really helped Akwa Ibom are d private electronic media and it is less than 6years old, right now we want the bill recognizing every due oil producing communities in Akwa Ibom to be signed this pacify many frailed nerves and give them a sense of belonging

What you are said about northern cross river is true is just like d Ebonyi state man I normally buy any phone accessories from telling me that he will never support IPOB cause they(Ebonyi) are not treated like others
We r small but together we have a landmass almost same with the SE, what I wish for is for more private radio, TV and newspapers to flood this region together with industries to provide jobs
The youths of this generation really need a big break from their parents, our parents many were myopic but this generation with so many information at their disposal youths really need to start asking deep questions

I look forward to a time when we all in both states will sit down in a conference tell each other the hard truth and work for a greater tomorrow
We are too small, very small to be antagonizing ourselves
exactly bro. They don't like us honestly, Akon ikpeme was a good example. How ever yes we don't need the unnecessary internal fights,we have sea access,oil,land and human capital, we have everything to succeed as a United front
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by ibibiogrl: 5:17am On Mar 29, 2020
Blackking98:
I didn't say keep quiet, hell yes attack them back but not with hasty generalisation that you do. I do not see it as a family thing, you Know little or nothing about your ethnic group, after hausas and igbos, Akwa ibomites are the most spread out people in this country, infact for every one Akwa ibomite at home there are two outside the state, so if you feel those who have non ibibio mother's or those who grew up outside Akwa ibomites are not true ibibios then you need christ in your life, my point is majority of our sister tribes hold no grudge against us, so when addressing the few unfortunate ones just do it with that in mind, they will eventually fall back, I'll tell you a personal experience on why I'm saying so. About three years back there was a family I knew,there were from Central Cross river and there's this girl that stayed with them, I was shocked to find out she was Annang because she always joined her guardian's in insulting ibibios saying "ibibios are wicked" and other nasty things, we were all shocked in the family, fast forward something happened and her aunty told her the exact same words she used on other's on the girl meanwhile the girl was Annang sef, since that day she started tilting back to her roots, we started teaching her ibibio little by little and she finally came to her sensesand left them after realizing that blood is thicker than water, in Nigeria no one can differentiate who is ibibio or efik or annang or Oro, proof is in the experience I just narrated to you, we should put this internal squabbling aside and look at the bigger picture.
Oh really undecidedU aren't accusing me again of knowing nothing because I live outside Nigeria U are referencing Akwa Ibomites living outside Aks.
U are again thinking that I am using the replies on nairaland as my experience undecided anyway you're just a kid. I don't want to keep reposting my old Post or digging up old Post. Just read the thread;
https://www.nairaland.com/609355/whats-major-differance-igbo-people
I've recounted lots of my personal experience there. U can keep believing in your fairytale of there being no differences, also that those posting on nairaland are not basing on their personal life experiences. undecided
You want to advise me as if I didn't grow up in Calabar and Abak. My fiance is even half ibibio and half Annang which has affected our impending marriage, yet U think am using nairaland posters as reference. Keep on believing in your fairy tales, but Just make sure My ancestors aren't insulted anymore. angry
nsiba:
Do not envy mix people, it's worst for them because they are caught in between the fighting sad am talking from experience, my fiance is half Annang & half Ibibio. Similar to biracial in America caught in between the racial war embarassed
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by nsiba: 6:26am On Mar 29, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Oh really undecidedU aren't accusing me again of knowing nothing because I live outside Nigeria U are referencing Akwa Ibomites living outside Aks.
U are again thinking that I am using the replies on nairaland as my experience undecided anyway you're just a kid. I don't want to keep reposting my old Post or digging up old Post. Just read the thread;
I've recounted lots of my personal experience there. U can keep believing in your fairytale of there being no differences, also that those posting on nairaland are not basing on their personal life experiences. undecided
You want to advise me as if I didn't grow up in Calabar and Abak. My fiance is even half ibibio and half Annang which has affected our impending marriage, yet U think am using nairaland posters as reference. Keep on believing in your fairy tales, but Just make sure My ancestors aren't insulted anymore. angry

Do not envy mix people, it's worst for them because they are caught in between the fighting sad am talking from experience, my fiance is half Annang & half Ibibio. Similar to biracial in America caught in between the racial war embarassed

Sincerely I am an optimist to a fault but will 'always expect d unexpected' in all things but when it comes to a family standing against a relationship becos of tribe or religion, sorry to say they are USELESS and the man is more useless if he allows such.
There is a woman and her lover presently in nigeria sentenced to death for killing her husband (same tribe) and was planning to escape with her lover who is from another state
Many stories are abound on both divide it is simply how do the couples involve handle it
I know a Christian Yoruba man who served in cross river state married to a Shuwa Arab woman a Moslem from Borno state, this lady when he married her could only speak kanuri not even Hausa.
They have kids that out of secondary schools now. My in-law swore only to marry a calabar girl while still a boy this is over 15yrs still a perfect uhrobo gentleman married to my sister
His bestman had a Yoruba finance but her father wanted a Yoruba man for her daughter, the guy is married now but d girl 10 years now no husband.
I have cousins from ohafia, abriba and Yoruba
A man that will kill his relationship becos his family his against his choice of woman base on tribe, religion or race is more than a fool
No one is perfect except GOD
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Blackking98(m): 2:30pm On Mar 29, 2020
Lol I'm not arguing with you again. I've made some observations about you and all I can say is you're a sad and really stone hearted person. Don't quote me again tho,I won't quote you too.
ibibiogrl:

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by ibibiogrl: 3:14pm On Mar 29, 2020
nsiba:
Sincerely I am an optimist to a fault but will 'always expect d unexpected' in all things but when it comes to a family standing against a relationship becos of tribe or religion, sorry to say they are USELESS and the man is more useless if he allows such.
There is a woman and her lover presently in nigeria sentenced to death for killing her husband (same tribe) and was planning to escape with her lover who is from another state
Many stories are abound on both divide it is simply how do the couples involve handle it
I know a Christian Yoruba man who served in cross river state married to a Shuwa Arab woman a Moslem from Borno state, this lady when he married her could only speak kanuri not even Hausa.
They have kids that out of secondary schools now. My in-law swore only to marry a calabar girl while still a boy this is over 15yrs still a perfect uhrobo gentleman married to my sister
His bestman had a Yoruba finance but her father wanted a Yoruba man for her daughter, the guy is married now but d girl 10 years now no husband.
A man that will kill his relationship becos his family his against his choice of woman base on tribe, religion or race is more than a fool
Yes but most Annangs are actually more open to intertribal marriages than ibibios. So the tension is more from my family, it doesn't help that a cousin of mine was constantly beaten in Ikot Ekpene by her in laws for being Ibibio sad & was recused by my uncle. She excaped with her son. Her in laws were against the union from day1, but her husband ignored their wishes. Especially after she had their 1st son.
He might want her back but she can't die for a marriage, sadly the son suffers more sad as a result. My extended family are now against that union since she excaped at the point of death. Let Blackking98 keep believing that am a sad person basing my experience from nairaland posters. undecided
As for my case, it's good to start a marriage with Blessings and all the luck from both sides. So we leave everything in God's hands, unless it's not meant to be. smiley
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Blackking98(m): 5:11pm On Mar 29, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Yes but most Annangs are actually more open to intertribal marriages than ibibios. So the tension is more from my family, it doesn't help that a cousin of mine was constantly beaten in Ikot Ekpene by her in laws for being Ibibio sad & was recused by my uncle. She excaped with her son. Her in laws were against the union from day1, but her husband ignored their wishes. Especially after she had their 1st son.
He might want her back but she can't die for a marriage, sadly the son suffers more sad as a result. My extended family are now against that union since she excaped at the point of death. Let Blackking98 keep believing that am a sad person basing my experience from nairaland posters. undecided
As for my case, it's good to start a marriage with Blessings and all the luck from both sides. So we leave everything in God's hands, unless it's not meant to be. smiley
yes you are actually sad. God in his wisdom created different races, different tribes of men and many things with variety. But here you are saying I should not be happy because I have mixed parentage and equally dragging those who are bi racial, maybe you think you know More than God, since you feel having mixed parentage or being biracial is nothing to be proud of keep talking till you start saying things that are quite unintelligent. If you dislike me for defending my mixed heritage (partly Efik) I wonder how you treat ibibios whose mother's are Igbo or hausa or Yoruba or ijaw etc or even non Nigerians. I already see what you think of people who are bi racial. Don't quote me anymore, I've left you to your research and God.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Blackking98(m): 5:17pm On Mar 29, 2020
Leave the lady, let her keep feeling people with mixed parentage or mixed race are unlucky because of little petty squabbling. She's the the type that'll disown her children for bringing non ibibios to the house for marriage, especially if they're from tribes she doesn't like. I know her type.
nsiba:

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by nsiba: 6:00pm On Mar 29, 2020
Blackking98:
Leave the lady, let her keep feeling people with mixed parentage or mixed race are unlucky because of little petty squabbling. She's the the type that'll disown her children for bringing non ibibios to the house for marriage, especially if they're from tribes she doesn't like. I know her type.
Nah! Don't think so don't be presumptuous, what I see is she speaks out her mind truthfully and bluntly... she really plenty of points.
I can never tolerate beating of women, but how you beat a woman?
Where do u hit her from?
Men even the Bible allow for separation if beaten
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by nsiba: 6:00pm On Mar 29, 2020
Blackking98:

Nah! Don't think so don't be presumptuous, what I see is she speaks out her mind truthfully and bluntly... she got plenty of points.
I can never tolerate beating of women, but how do you beat a woman?
Where do u hit her from?

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by ibibiogrl: 6:08pm On Mar 29, 2020
Blackking98:
Why am I willing to marry someone who is half Ibibio and half Annang then?
Blackking98:
yes you are actually sad. God in his wisdom created different races, different tribes of men and many things with variety. But here you are saying I should not be happy because I have mixed parentage and equally dragging those who are bi racial, maybe you think you know More than God, since you feel having mixed parentage or being biracial is nothing to be proud of keep talking till you start saying things that are quite unintelligent. If you dislike me for defending my mixed heritage (partly Efik) I wonder how you treat ibibios whose mother's are Igbo or hausa or Yoruba or ijaw etc or even non Nigerians. I already see what you think of people who are bi racial. Don't quote me anymore, I've left you to your research and God.
When did I quote you U said not to quote you & I didn't despite your responses to me. When also did I tell you not to be proud of your mix heritage angry I said I understood your position on this matter because you feel like you are caught in the middle embarassed U denied that, even in your replies on the Ikepeme thread, you never said U were mix. U kept speaking as if you are a full ibibio person, claiming that they don't mind being referred to as Calabar people.
I told you that you were lying and was a fake AKS. I actually push you to admit your mixed heritage finally. U should have stated it openly from the beginning if U were so proud of it undecided
I told nsiba not to envy you because you are in a fragile situation, as this was personal to U. I only use biracials in USA as an example, because it's an open knowledge that they have to deny 1side of their heritage (mostly white side) to claim only their black side, due to the racial tension. Which is really sad, but you are not facing such an extreme situation in Nigeria, so I see no reason why you should not openly State your mixed heritage from the get go. Don't quote or reply to me again and I won't mention you. Infact I just replied to Mizwisdom on the Ikepeme thread on a post address to U, but I didn't mention your name.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by nsiba: 6:10pm On Mar 29, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Why should a man allow his family to beat his wife, what madness is that?
Which parent will stomach such?
If he loves her he knows what to do but I don't think so, imagine a brother/sister beating his brother's wife, are they animals?
She better save her life b4 they kill and marry another person in her place
.....Ibibiogrl what is d Covid19 situation at ur end?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by ibibiogrl: 6:20pm On Mar 29, 2020
nsiba:
Why should a man allow his family to beat his wife, what madness is that?
Which parent will stomach such?
If he loves her he knows what to do but I don't think so, imagine a brother/sister beating his brother's wife, are they animals?
She better save her life b4 they kill and marry another person in her place
.....Ibibiogrl what is d Covid19 situation at ur end?
He wasn't there to protect her 24/7, he went against his family wishes to marry her and so sadthey had to take the situation into their own hands to make sure they destroy the marriage embarassed
We have been on lockdown for these past 2wks, only going out for essential commodities. shocked It's very risky going outside so we have to be extremely careful. shocked
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by nsiba: 6:27pm On Mar 29, 2020
ibibiogrl:

He wasn't there to protect her 24/7, he went against his family wishes to marry her and so sadthey had to take the situation into their own hands to make sure they destroy the marriage embarassed
We have been on lockdown for these past 2wks, only going out for essential commodities. shocked It's very risky going outside so we have to be extremely careful. shocked
All d same very foolish, a man should carry his burden not the family
Hmmm did Covid19 shit!But funny enough pple down here want it to take down so many politicians.... I share in the sentiment too
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by ibibiogrl: 7:51pm On Mar 29, 2020
nsiba:
All d same very foolish, a man should carry his burden not the family
Hmmm did Covid19 shit!But funny enough pple down here want it to take down so many politicians.... I share in the sentiment too
Families will always find a way to destroy something if they majority are against it sad
Yes I noticed & it's very funny, now trying to read some thread that were predicting and praying itt to happen grin
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by nsiba: 8:00pm On Mar 29, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Families will always find a way to destroy something if they majority are against it sad
Yes I noticed & it's very funny, now trying to read some thread that were predicting and praying itt to happen grin

9ja is on autopilot we need Covid19 ASAP
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Blackking98(m): 12:53am On Mar 30, 2020
nsiba:

Nah! Don't think so don't be presumptuous, what I see is she speaks out her mind truthfully and bluntly... she got plenty of points.
I can never tolerate beating of women, but how do you beat a woman?
Where do u hit her from?
men who beat women deserve to be beaten severely. The power God gave you, you want to flex it on a fragile female. Some men are really scum

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna" / Fallen 100-Year-Old Tree In Oyo Rises Again, Pulls Crowd (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.