Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,862 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me (7836 Views)

Consult A Quantity Surveyor For Free. / Deleted / I Need A Quantity Surveying Firm For My It Training. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by chincchon(m): 8:12pm On Oct 12, 2006
A Quantity Surveyor Needed For Help

I need a help from a quantity surveyor, who can put me through in mastering how to take off.
I need a help please; somebody should come to my aid.
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by Seun(m): 4:22am On Nov 06, 2006
Somebody please help this young man! He needs a practicing Quantity Surveyor to guide him!

1 Like

Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by nilla(f): 2:33pm On Nov 06, 2006
what type of quantity surveyor?
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by Seun(m): 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2006
How many types are there?
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by nilla(f): 1:16am On Nov 07, 2006
Seun:

How many types are there?

i dont know.
I know surveyors do it.
I do it too, but i'm not a surveyor.
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by kamsy(f): 2:21pm On Nov 07, 2006
[color=#006600][/color][b][/b]taking off is all about picking dimensions from your working drawings into your taking off sheet.

your taking off sheet is a specially ruled paper that has columns.

first of all,you need your scale rule which is one of the most important tool as a Quantity surveyor.before you start your taking off,be sure that your drawing is drawn to scale and the dimensions given.it will be easier if all the dimensions are well specified.it will make your job easy and fast.whereby the dimensions are not given,you now make use of your scale rule.the scale rule reads so many dimensions.check for the scale of the drawing you are about taking off to see if its drawn to scale like 1;100,1;200,1;150 etc.then you start your taking off.

In reading your dimensions,you need to be very careful to see if its been dimension in to in as in block wall to block wall.

In taking off,you list out the things you need to take off for example,if its a building you want to take off, these are the list of things you need to take off for;

FOR FOUNDATION;these are things needed

1 CLEARING OF SITE
2 EXCAVATION (TOPSOIL,TRENCH)
3 EARTHWORK SUPPORT
4 LEVELING AND COMPACTING
5 FORMWORK
6 BLINDING
7 CONCRETE IN FOUNDATION
8 BLOCKWALL
9 HARDCORE/LATERITE
10 CONCRETE SLAB

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by nilla(f): 2:25pm On Nov 07, 2006
adding to kamsy's foundation list. reinforcement steel

1 Like

Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by kamsy(f): 2:41pm On Nov 07, 2006
for SUPERSTRUCTUREi.e above foundation,the list are

1 WALLS AND CLADDING
2 REINFORCEMENT
3 FORMWORK
4 BLOCKWORK
5 FINISHING(FLOOR has to be tiles or screedingetc,WALL, has to be plastering,rendering or tiles,CEILING has to be suspended or whatever materials you want to use for your ceiling)
6 EXTERNAL WORKS(KERBS,SOAKAWAY AND SEPTIC TANK,LATERITE FILLING etc)
7 PAINTING AND DECORATION

for FENCING;

1 CONCRETE WORK
2 BLOCK WORK
3 FINISHING
4 PAINTING AND DECORATION

for ROOF;(maybe longspan,zinc whatever you want to use for your roof

for ;LANDSCAPING;
whatever kind of materials you want to use to beautify your surrounding.

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by kamsy(f): 2:50pm On Nov 07, 2006
We have 2 types of surveyor
Quantity surveyors and Land Surveyors.

the are two different proffessions.Quantity surveyors
are related more to building and civil works. while Land surveyors has to do with lands.
A Quantity surveyors main tool is his or her SMM(standard method of measurement) for building works or civil works and his or her scale rule.
A Land surveyors main tool is his or her theodolite and levelling instrument

1 Like

Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by Honesty777(m): 12:45pm On Nov 08, 2006
yeah! I think Kamsy did answer your Question! If u need more info plz be specific as Quantity Surveying as a Profession is very wide nowadays. It'z now more than Building & Civil Engineering Construction. It's all depend on where u practise!
regards
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by bqueen: 2:15pm On Nov 08, 2006
gud to see sme1 to give answer to ur qtn
well gud to see that there's Q/surveyor in the house i always love the course but its sme how not encouraging.
i will like to know much abt kamsy and honesty 777 been a quantity surveyor.
bqueen
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by Honesty777(m): 2:24pm On Nov 08, 2006
Bqueen,

i bet u Q.S is such an enterprising profession. Just that the naija economy seems to be smhw hard on Construction industry. I as a Q.S U can nw work in many other lucrative sector. I work i a telecom infrastructure Company and do hope to expand my frontier now since i've gather experience. Plz follw ur mind and u wont regret it.
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by bqueen: 2:00pm On Nov 09, 2006
honesty 777,
thanks for the reply gud to hear from u,
bqueen
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by ishmael(m): 3:38pm On Dec 07, 2006
chincchon:

A Quantity Surveyor Needed For Help

I need a help from a quantity surveyor, who can put me through in mastering how to take off.
I need a help please; somebody should come to my aid.

FCT minister, Nasir El-Rufai is a Quantity Surveyor with both academic and professional experience; you can meet him to put you through. Regards.
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by Seun(m): 8:48pm On Dec 07, 2006
Buhahaha! So you want him to seek out a big man like Mallam El-Rufai just to talk about quantity surveying? Ok o.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by Genial(m): 12:26am On Dec 08, 2006
I've seen this several times, and I'm quite uncomfortable with this apparently unfortunate error. Forgive me, Jaybaby, but I do think you mean design and dyeing.
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by ishmael(m): 7:47am On Dec 08, 2006
Seun:

Buhahaha! So you want him to seek out a big man like Mallam El-Rufai just to talk about quantity surveying? Ok o.

No matter how big El-Rufai is, he is still a Quantity surveyor; nothing has changed him. Let him try and get in touch with him 1st and see.
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by asipita(m): 1:29pm On Sep 16, 2007
Well Taking Off is not as difficult as it ay seem, it only need u to try and picture the building or item that yoy are taking off for. Ivor H. Seeley and Willis may of of help for a beginer, but a s u advance, you need a real hands on training.
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by ola2nde(m): 9:51pm On Dec 14, 2008
Good that sm1 replied, Land Surveying is my profession,  I studied it at Federal school of Surveying and Geoinformatics.  but i will like to clarify what Kemsy said. differentiating btw Quantity and land Surveyor.
Quantity Surveyor r those who make estimation on the Quantity of materials needed for the execution of the proposed project based on the plan produced by an architect and sometime they make costing of material to be used.
While Land Surveyors are those who take measurements on land,they define  the Legal boundaries, they make plans showing the shape and size of land.
i believe this information r enough to know the differences btw the two. though surveying generally is more than this but i bring to a novice level. land surveyor is the first person to work on land before any other profession.

for more information u can call me on 08027804399
or come to my office

Adekanbi Riliwan
Animash Surveying and Mappig Services,
6, Safuratu Sekoni street,
Gbagada New Garage,
Lagos.
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by khalifonia(m): 7:58pm On Aug 03, 2010
hey house,

i have been looking for 'MEASUREMENT OF BUILDING WORKS' by IVOR H. SEELAY, fifth edition. does anyone here has it??
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by angela992: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2017
An Investigation on the Professional Role of Quantity Surveyor in Infrastructure

Quantity Surveyors is traditionally responsible for the cost and contract management functions in building and Engineering Project including preparation of construction contract documents, provision of cost advice and construction cost and contract administration. In a common building contract, the major role of quantity surveyors in cost management generally covers cost planning, cost estimation, value management,...

http://www.scharticles.com/an-investigation-on-the-professional-role-of-quantity-surveyor-in-infrastructure/
Re: I Need A Quantity Surveyor To Mentor Me by PrimeWatermark: 3:22am On Jun 03, 2023
We're currently on the search for Quantity Surveyors. Kindly find below the necessary details regarding the role and locations.
Would appreciate if you can as well refer credible and quality candidates.

Warm Regards.

QUANTITY SURVEYORS

(1) IKEJA, LAGOS.
Candidate should have Project Management experience and Certification by NIQS will be an added advantage.

Qualification: HND/Bachelor's Degree in Quantity Surveying.
Experience: Min. 5years in a similar role.
Remuneration: ₦180,000 Net.

(2) IKOYI, LAGOS.
NIQS Certification will be an added advantage.
Qualification: HND/Bachelor's Degree in Quantity Surveying.
Experience: Min. 3years in a similar role.
Remuneration: ₦120,000 Net

Interested and Qualified candidates should send their resumé to primewatermark_consult(at)aol(dot)com using the Job Title and Preferred Location as subject of the mail e.g Quantity Surveyor - Ikeja, Quantity Surveyor - Ikoyi.

WhatsApp messages can also be sent to 0seven0eight100nine65zero.

(1) (Reply)

How To Work With A Difficult Boss / 10 Reasons Your Boss Wants You Out Of The Job / Discussion: Follow Your Talents And Passion Or Follow The Bag?!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.