Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,164 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State (32245 Views)

Meet Oba Solomon Dele Owoniyi, The New Obaro Of Kabba / Two Masquerades Pictured Riding By On A Motorcycle In Kogi State / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 05, 2017
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by mosesjida(m): 5:10pm On Sep 28, 2017
Appswheel:

Profsomeday... you need to go back to study your history. I may not be wrong to tag you a baby history student. I will come back to school you about the Obaro stool in Kabba history and provide resources and evidence to show that the Obaro stool used to rotate amongst the clans. Please dont spread junk, poisoned history.
yes and thank you the history published here is fake and probably from an ilajo man. ilajo is not and can never be the royal family ..its rotates among the clans so don't be dettered by their *formed* histories..
and omodo are not part of the clans but are the slaves that served our fathers then
thank you.
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 1:36pm On Nov 24, 2017
that saudi arabia part of your origin is too fake

but since colonization, all blacks want to trace their history to the middle-east so as to feel good.
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by TreasuredGlory: 8:14am On Jul 30, 2018
R
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 03, 2019
You are a liar.big one for that matter. Ilajo man u are.stop wasting your time,the truth we all know.
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by bayolaporo: 4:41pm On Oct 04, 2019
Just a few comments:

1) Odolu has 4 clans not 5 as you Profsomeday posted.
They are: OGBAGI, IJEMU, IRASI and TEKO in order of seniority.

2) Any free born Son of Owe land, of the 13 clans, who has been initiated into Ebora and has taken the IGEMO and OROTA tittles and is not an OLOLU, is qualified to be and is in fact a potential OBA ARO of Owe land. This is why every Igemo or Orota title is preceded by Oba examples: Obarafo, Obajere,Obaribido etc.
This fact is known to every Owe person to the extent that Owe sons from time immemorial, up till today, in recognition of this potential, freely greet themselves: OKUN O OBA, as passed down from our ancestors.

3)The word Ololu is not exclusive to the Obaro alone, but to the 3 highest titles which include Obadofin and Obajemu. They form a tripod on which Owe authority rest.
(aro meta e da obe nu)

4) Whereas the Ilajo clan had produced a number of Obaros in succession, since Obaro Obaroghunfun Mokelu, (The meaning of his tittle is instructive) the first from that clan, it is not true that the Obaro stool is for the Ilajo clan alone.
It is a fact of history that Mokelu succeeded Obaro Aluko, Aiyerumi of Katu his maternal grandfather. Whose clan's eriki is OMO ARO, whereas the eriki of the Ilajo clan is OMO EHI, now how can any rational being claim that OMO ARO can not become OBA ARO, when the tittle is derived from ARO his Father not EHI ? Had the tittle been OBA EHI, perhaps Ilajo may have a reason to lay claim to sole ownership.
Thank God that the 3 clans of Katu, all Omo Aro and Aro in Ijemu by extension, have not perverted our history by claiming sole ownership of the tittle of Oba Aro, even though the tittle is derived from their father's name, but recognised and afirmed the fact of the blood relationship and joint ownership of all Owe titles between the 3 brothers who founded Owe Oke meta (and their descendants after them) namely:
1) Aro,
2) Reka
3) Balaja
in order of seniority.
They settled at
Katu (Agba Owe), 3 clans.
Okaba 6 clans
and Odolu respectively. 4 clans

It is also a fact of history that when Oba Mokelu joined his ancestors, Owe people according to tradition conferred the Obaro tittle on Obaro Obagbilo Olusuyi of Kakun, however, the Anupes, who were Overlords at the time, first imposed Ajinuhi, (of Ilajo clan) against the peoples choice, who they afterwards forced to abdicate the throne under the threat of death by beheading. (Upon abdication, he was made Obadofin by his successor) He is the Only Owe Man in aberration to culture and tradition to have ever taken 4 titles of Igemo, Orota, and Ololu tittles of Obaro and Obadofin.
They threafter installed Ajibohokun his half brother.
Since that time, the Ilajo clan had, to the detriment of Owe culture and tradition sought alliance with external forces to monopolize the throne.
That monopoly was broken in 1960 when the Government after diligent enquiry, under The Makanma Bida Panel, recognized Obaro Aka Gbadebo of Idogba clan, whom Owe kingmakers had freely chosen in 1957.
When Obaro Gbadebo joined his ancestors, Owe people freely chose Chief Obayoka as Obaro, however the Anupe military Governor, of Kwara state,named Ndanusa just like his ancestors before him, imposed Michael Olobayo of Ilajo clan on Owe people once again in 1985, not withstanding, the fact that he was not qualified, having not been initiated into the Igemo or Orota titles by any living Obaro.
This led to serious unrest as never before witnessed in the community.

5)We Owe people are descendants of three hunters from Ilelfe, we are Yoruba and did not come from the middle east.
(Omo gege Ife is part of our eriki)
However if the residue of Anupes in Owe land remember their descent from the Middle East, we owe them no grudge.
They should however desist from the falsification of our history, perversion of our culture and tradition so that peace and progress can reign in Owe land.

2 Likes

Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by Otitolekejulius: 8:53pm On Mar 16, 2020
It's very sad and unfortunate that people will formulate false stories in the name of history. It's a very desperate person that will concoct a lie knowing fully well that he is lying. How can you wake up and say there's no royal family in Kabba? The pre-colonial history of Kabba people is well documented in major libraries around the world including Yale University Library, Connecticut, Abraham Lincoln University Library, British library. In fact the British library online has a lot about the history of Owe Kabba people including other Okun tribes, all of them on the internet.

If you say there's no royal family in Owe Kabba, then you have to support your claims with documented evidence.

Bayolaporo's write up here is a fake history and I challenge him to present a single Archival, anthropological or historical document to support any of his lies.

I will provide documentary and archival evidences if challenged.

For your knowledge, Kabba, Odolu and Katu are 3 different towns all under the control of the Obaro of Kabba. Odolu had its own Oba under the Obaro of Kabba. The Obajemu is from Kabba while Obadofin is from Odolu. In olden days, it would be an act of war for a man to travel from Odolu village and wantef to be Obaro in Kabba , so also Odolu village will go to war if a Kabba man attempted to Usurp the Oba of Odolu.

Any history all over the world that was not or never documented is a fake history. I challenge any of you to produce any evidence that any other family outside Ilajo ever produce Obaro of Kabba appart from Aka and Owoniyi who both wrestle the throne from the Royal Family.

I am an Okun student of history and not related to Kabba in any way. Same history I have about Kabba, I also have about many other Okun communities.
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by pablobellins(m): 2:43pm On Apr 14, 2020
Otitolekejulius:
It's very sad and unfortunate that people will formulate false stories in the name of history. It's a very desperate person that will concoct a lie knowing fully well that he is lying. How can you wake up and say there's no royal family in Kabba? The pre-colonial history of Kabba people is well documented in major libraries around the world including Yale University Library, Connecticut, Abraham Lincoln University Library, British library. In fact the British library online has a lot about the history of Owe Kabba people including other Okun tribes, all of them on the internet.

If you say there's no royal family in Owe Kabba, then you have to support your claims with documented evidence.

Bayolaporo's write up here is a fake history and I challenge him to present a single Archival, anthropological or historical document to support any of his lies.

I will provide documentary and archival evidences if challenged.

For your knowledge, Kabba, Odolu and Katu are 3 different towns all under the control of the Obaro of Kabba. Odolu had its own Oba under the Obaro of Kabba. The Obajemu is from Kabba while Obadofin is from Odolu. In olden days, it would be an act of war for a man to travel from Odolu village and wantef to be Obaro in Kabba , so also Odolu village will go to war if a Kabba man attempted to Usurp the Oba of Odolu.

Any history all over the world that was not or never documented is a fake history. I challenge any of you to produce any evidence that any other family outside Ilajo ever produce Obaro of Kabba appart from Aka and Owoniyi who both wrestle the throne from the Royal Family.

I am an Okun student of history and not related to Kabba in any way. Same history I have about Kabba, I also have about many other Okun communities.
i need you to school me more on this. There is a place called otu in kabba; and even egbeda who are the founders of those places?

Lastly; i no where odolu start and finish; i knw katu too(am guessing its where we know as Obadofin) now; what i dont know is where okaba started... And why was Kabba adopted as the general name?

Pls reply this mention first; i still hv other things to ask. Like my own root in owe.
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by Mrhauxiliary(m): 4:13pm On Jul 05, 2020
Pls I Need You To Tell Me About The Arokoyo's And Toluhi's family I'm doing on that....
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by Mrhauxiliary(m): 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2020
Okun... Pls I need your sir, I'm Working On A Project and l want to know more about AROKOYO's And TOLUHI's Family Or Any Of Them You Know Well.
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by Mrhauxiliary(m): 4:19pm On Jul 05, 2020
Okun... Pls I need your help sir, I'm Working On A Project and l want to know more about AROKOYO's And TOLUHI's Family Or Any Of Them You Know Well.
Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by bayolaporo: 11:38am On May 06, 2021
Mr Otitoleke Julius, I am amazed that you label me a liar based on my submission.

Which of the 5 items listed in my reply to Profsomeday is or are false that make you label it or them lies and fake history?

If you have contrary facts please kindly present them (without being impolite) so we can have an enlightened conversation.

Bear in mind that Owe history before the 19th century encounter with the Anupes and later the British was oral not written. Does that make our history fake?

Please kindly read again my 5 items submission
No where therein did i write that there are no royal families in Owe land rather I said that any freeborn of the 13 clans who has taken the Igemo and Orota tittle is qualified to aspire to the throne.

For your information and the general public's, KATU, KABBA and ODOLU Royal families are recognized by law, in accordance with ancient tradition.

I also stated that the Obaro stool is not exclusive to the ilajo clan, not withstanding the fact that they had several consecutive successions.
This I supported with the fact and logic of how the title was derived from ARO of Katu not EHI of Ilajo
Further, I mentioned how the title came to Mokelu of Ilajo clan through Obaro Aluko Aiyerumi of Katu Royal family.

Also note that Profsomeday has since removed his post in the face of incontrovertible facts I presented earlier.

I hereby challenge you to controvert my 5 items submission as you requested.
In doing so please respond item by item.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by bayolaporo: 3:34pm On May 09, 2021
pablobellins:
i need you to school me more on this. There is a place called otu in kabba; and even egbeda who are the founders of those places?

Lastly; i no where odolu start and finish; i knw katu too(am guessing its where we know as Obadofin) now; what i dont know is where okaba started... And why was Kabba adopted as the general name?

Pls reply this mention first; i still hv other things to ask. Like my own root in owe.

1) Otu was founded by one of the Children of Balaja ODOLU.
2) Egbeda was founded by early Owe Christians.
3) The traditional OKABA encompass Okese, through Okekoko, Okedose, Okegidi, Agonmo and ends at Okedogba, which shares boundary with KATU.
4) After the 3 Brothers settled thus:
ARO the eldest at KATU
REKA next in seniority at OKEABA (OKABA)
BALAJA youngest at ODOLU.
They were however united (Ijumu) under the same government with the Obaro, Obadofin and Obajemu in that order collectively called OLOLU at the apex of the government.
They were also united in religion EBORA, culture and Custom.
They began to increase and expand, and founded many settlements such as Egunbe, Otu, Egbeda, Okedayo, Gbeleko etc in IKOWA OPA.
OKABA was the largest metropolis of the Settlements at the inception of Anupe Occupation and later the British.
It was for administrative convenience that KATU and ODOLU were persuaded to subsume their names under OKABA, which was corrupted to KABBA, This was not too difficult because they were brothers of the same father.

3 Likes

Re: Culture And Historical Background Of Kabba People Of Kogi State by Bettyden: 10:38pm On Nov 21, 2021
Obarighontan:
The history give by this poster is basically lies to the highest order. Ilajo family is not and has never be the only family in Oweland that have right to the throne of Obaro... Neither do any other clan automatically claim any of the the 3 Ololu's in Oweland.

The 3 hunters who follow their father for hunting stop over in Aiyere now in Ijumu LGA of Kogi State. Stop over in Aiyere to rest while their father decided to stay and settle down the 3 son's refused and decided to continue their hunting ahead.

On getting to Katu of today they make a hut where they rest and open there loads... After which they plan to settle down. But the second one aggred to move to Okeaba of Kabba today while the last one aggred to move back to odoilu.. Odolu of today..... The 3 hunters are from the same parent.

They are all entitle to the throne since it's the same one town.

All 13 clans are entitled to be either Obaro, Obadofin, Obajemu or Obani which is the head of all Orota Council of Oweland if the stool is vacant.

finally with the gazette from the govt after a panel set up to look into the issue of Oweland tradition we now have 14 clan... Omodo clan inclusive with Oba Elesho as the clan head.

Please can someone tell me more about the omodo clan in kabba
My sister is from Katu clan and she married them and everyone is shouting o

Why do they say people should not marry them and what will happen if you marry them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Are Wearing Fake Crowns- Olubadan Tells 21 Newly Crowned Kings Of Ibadan / 12 Things You Didnt Know About Nigeria / The Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi And His Wives At Oranyan 2016 Gbegiri Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.