Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. (10300 Views)

Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Plantain Farmer In Osun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 8:33am On Nov 03, 2015
These two crops can make you millionaire. I will explain to you how to plant tomatoes and hav good yields.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by Phunmibi: 11:28pm On Nov 03, 2015
calebadex:
These two crops can make you millionaire. I will explain to you how to plant tomatoes and hav good yields.

Following sir
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by akin1o1: 8:22am On Nov 04, 2015
I am also into this business, my first attempt in tomatoes farming didn't go as I expected but I definitely made profits and learned more about the crop and it's cultivating, I have like 40 acres of plantain farm, still waiting for next year to come,that's when I would be able to say anything about the plantain farming business.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 4:51pm On Nov 04, 2015
An acre of land gives u 20000heaps, hectare give 2.2 acre. I used heaps. Employ 2 benue people (igedee) for 200,000naira yearly. Dey start work by early February, they start d clearing till middle of may. U prepare planting ur tomatoes in batches. First batch nursery should come up in the middle of april, and second should be by may and third should be by june etc. Depending on d quantity of ur land. Why is it advisable to be in batch ?
-Tomatoes has no specific market price. U will be able to meet all d market periods.
-harvesting of tomatoes needs time. E.g on an acre of tomatoes ,if u hav gud yields, 10people must harvest for d day. We harvest here every 5days.
-wen ur tomatoes start flowering, nw replant on d land wit plantain suckers.
Note: D 2 benue guys and u will do all d clearing heaping weeding and adding of fertiliser if ur land is weak. Excluding harvesting.
After all dis, at worse scenario, on an hectare, u have 1.6m on tomatoes and u hav like 2200 plantain growing left.
Next i will talk on d type of tomatoes varieties, diseases and the soil composition for tomatoes.

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 4:58pm On Nov 04, 2015
akin1o1:
I am also into this business, my first attempt in tomatoes farming didn't go as I expected but I definitely made profits and learned more about the crop and it's cultivating, I have like 40 acres of plantain farm, still waiting for next year to come,that's when I would be able to say anything about the plantain farming busi
@ akin, nt every write up is real. To make millions in Agriculture is nt so dat easy. B4 running an hectare of tomatoes farmland, people around u will hav to know dat u changed. My brother, its nt easy.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 5:01pm On Nov 04, 2015
Phunmibi:

Following sir
@ phunmibi, tanx
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by FAJFARM(m): 10:13am On Nov 05, 2015
calebadex:
An acre of land gives u 20000heaps, hectare give 2.2 acre. I used heaps. Employ 2 benue people (igedee) for 200,000naira yearly. Dey start work by early February, they start d clearing till middle of may. U prepare planting ur tomatoes in batches. First batch nursery should come up in the middle of april, and second should be by may and third should be by june etc. Depending on d quantity of ur land. Why is it advisable to be in batch ?
-Tomatoes has no specific market price. U will be able to meet all d market periods.
-harvesting of tomatoes needs time. E.g on an acre of tomatoes ,if u hav gud yields, 10people must harvest for d day. We harvest here every 5days.
-wen ur tomatoes start flowering, nw replant on d land wit plantain suckers.
Note: D 2 benue guys and u will do all d clearing heaping weeding and adding of fertiliser if ur land is weak. Excluding harvesting.
After all dis, at worse scenario, on an hectare, u have 1.6m on tomatoes and u hav like 2200 plantain growing left.
Next i will talk on d type of tomatoes varieties, diseases and the soil composition for tomatoes.

I disagree bro an acre cant accomadate 20,000 heaps. it is 2000.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 11:57am On Nov 05, 2015
FAJFARM:

I disagree bro an acre cant accomadate 20,000 heaps. it is 2000.
@FAJFARM, dnt disagree, acre =6plots a plot is 60by120, acre=43,560square feets. Check ! Which will give 20,000heaps. Try to do d practical b4 u disagree.
Tanx brother.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 12:52pm On Nov 05, 2015
Make sure your tomatoes seedlings spend minimum of 4wks in d nursery so dat u can hav healthy plants. Make ur heaps wen u see dat ur nursery is ready for transplant. Plant immediately after heaping. Try to do d weeding after 7wks of transplant.
Note:
-Is very likely for d plant to encounter a disease call [aluro] , d plant will suddenly started drying frm d root. If u experience such, dat means the nitrogen in d soil is too much.
-It is possible for ur plant to grow well without fruiting very well, the plant will be green and strong very well, bt it will nt bring much flowers for fruiting. Dat means d phosphorous[p] in d soil is low while d potassium[k] is normal.
Datz y it is advisable to knw ur soil PH before starting d farm.
Note: We continue on d disease during flowering next time.
Tomatoes needs time and hard-work.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by noblefarm: 2:13pm On Nov 05, 2015
calebadex:
Make sure your tomatoes seedlings spend minimum of 4wks in d nursery so dat u can hav healthy plants. Make ur heaps wen u see dat ur nursery is ready for transplant. Plant immediately after heaping. Try to do d weeding after 7wks of transplant.
Note:
-Is very likely for d plant to encounter a disease call [aluro] , d plant will suddenly started drying frm d root. If u experience such, dat means the nitrogen in d soil is too much.
-It is possible for ur plant to grow well without fruiting very well, the plant will be green and strong very well, bt it will nt bring much flowers for fruiting. Dat means d phosphorous[p] in d soil is low while d potassium[k] is normal.

Ur mean u weed after 7wks u transplant
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 2:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
noblefarm:

Ur mean u weed after 7wks u transplant
yes sir.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by noblefarm: 2:46pm On Nov 05, 2015
calebadex:
yes sir.

OK. I did tomato last month but d tin was bad I said I won't do tomatoes again. I have 10acres am clearing now for dry season vegetables I plan planting okro on the 10acres, what do u think?
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 2:55pm On Nov 05, 2015
noblefarm:

OK. I did tomato last month but d tin was bad I said I won't do tomatoes again. I have 10acres am clearing now for dry season vegetables I plan planting okro on the 10acres, what do u think?
brother, i will nt advice u to go into dry season tomatoes, because its harder dan d normal season. but, prepare till next year. You will make it by God grace. Okro is gud.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by noblefarm: 3:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
calebadex:
brother, i will nt advice u to go into dry season tomatoes, because its harder dan d normal season. but, prepare till next year. You will make it by God grace. Okro is gud.

Thanks boss

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by gnldcares4you: 5:52pm On Nov 05, 2015
GNLD's Super Gro Liquid Fertilizer in 5 Litres

GNLD Super Gro is a miracle wonder formula that increases harvest for crops, trees, and fish farmers; likewise poultry farmers. It is very easy to use plus it is safe to handle, non-toxic, non-caustic & non-flammable.
Super Gro improves agricultural yields by as much as 167%.

Super Gro can be used for all kinds of agricultural crops and trees;
VEGETABLES; Ugu, Spinach, Cabbage, Carrots, Okro, etc.
ROOT CROPS & TUBERS; Yam, Cassava, Cocoyam, etc.
FRUITS; Pineapple, Mangoes, Oranges, Pawpaw, etc.
GRAINS; Beans, Rice, Maize, Soyabeans, Groundnut, etc.

Super Gro can also be used to improve the quality in;
FISH FARMING; Catfish, etc

How Does GNLD Super Gro Work?

GNLD’s Super Gro acts as both an adjuvant and a surfactant. On one hand, an adjuvant is an agent designed to aid in substances’ action. On the other hand,surfactants are wetting agents.

It may seem contradictory, but water does not always wet plants and their roots very well. Thus, often it tends to bead up on the waxy surfaces of plants, lawns and gardens, and before water even has a chance to penetrate, it runs off or evaporates. More water reaches the roots of the plant and stays there making the plant grow in lesser time.

How to use GNLD's Super Gro for crops

Vegetables, peppers, onions, yam, cocoyam, soya beans, groundnut, etc.
Add 1ml of Super Gro to 1 liter of water. Agitate gently and spray on the leaves and stem of the plant. Apply every week, two weeks, three weeks or monthly before flowering.

Add 20ml of Super Gro to 20 litres of water to spray 1/4 acre of land.
Add 200ml of Super Gro to 250 litres of water to spray 1 hectare of land.

Note:
(A) After spraying crops with Super Gro, you may see white dots on the plant early in the morning. Do not touch it or worry about it. It attaches solar energy to the plant.
(B) Plant your crops in ridges to have a narrow site to walk and spray.
(C) After the first spray, spray again with Super Gro every 3 weeks.
(D) If you use chemicals to weed your farm, allow the effect of the chemical to wear out first before applying Super Gro i.e. apply Super Gro after four days of using weeding chemicals.
(E) If you weed manually with cutlass, pack your weeds and use Super Gro the next day.

IF YOU FARM IN NORTHERN NIGERIA WHERE THE WEATHER IS HOT, WHEN THE SUN IS UP, DO NOT SPRAY SUPER GRO ON THE PLANTS BECAUSE SUPER GRO HAS ITS OWN INTERNAL SOLAR STRENGTH.

How to use GNLD Super Gro for tree & cash crops

Mango, orange, oil palm, kolanut, pineapple, rubber, cocoa, etc.
Add 1ml of Super Gro to 1litre of water. Agitate gently and spray on the leaves and stem of the plant. Apply every week, two weeks, three weeks or monthly before flowering.

Add 20ml of Super Gro to 20 litres of water to spray 1/4 acre of the lawn.
Add 200ml of Super Gro to 250 litres of water to spray 1 hectare of the lawn.

Note:
(A) For tree crops, a boom sprayer is the best for applying Super Gro. The pressure from a boom sprayer gets more Super Gro onto the crop.
(B) If you do not have a boom sprayer, use a watering can but make sure the mouth of the can is not too wide so that your product will not waste.
(C) Do try and get a boom sprayer, it is more economical.

How to use Super Gro for fish farming

Catfish, etc. Concrete or mud ponds are most preferable. Fill the pond with water.
Estimate the amount of water in the pond and add 1ml of Super Gro for every 10litres of water in the pond and agitate gently. Leave this treated water for 7 to 10days to fertilise the pond then flush away the treated water. Put fresh water and leave in the pond for 5 to 7 days then stock your fish. You only need 1ml of Super Gro for every 10 litres of water you use in your fish pond.

You only need 1ml of Super Gro for every 10 litres of water you use in your fish pond.

How to use Super Gro for gardening; indoor plants & lawns.

Add 20ml of Super Gro to 20 litres of water to spray 1/4 acre of land.
Add 200ml of Super Gro to 250 litres of water to spray 1 hectare of land.

This same solution will also work for garden and indoor plants. Spray on leaves and stems (as in crop plants). Super Gro can also be used for indoor plants, flower gardens and lawns. Flowers tended with Super Gro bloom faster, are richer, fresher and more appealing to the eyes. They also do not die quickly because they conserve water on their leaves, stems and roots. Indoor plants treated with Super Gro last longer in their vases or flower pots. Lawns nurtured with Super Gro have greener grass and appear richer and more luxurious.

When used together with GNLD Super 10 ( a natural insect repellent), will decrease pests in flowers. In one experiment, red spider infestation of roses was decreased by 43%. When used with fungicides, GNLD Super Gro will reduce early blight in flowers. Powdery mildew in roses was reduced by as much as 35% when Super Gro was used along with crop treatment.

KEY BENEFITS OF USING SUPER GRO ON PLANTS AND CROPS
1. GNLD's Super Gro helps make water wetter by reducing its surface tension in addition to acting as a wetting agent.
2. GNLD’s Super Gro helps conserve water.
3. GNLD's Super Gro tends to increase the rate at which water penetrates common soils, thereby minimize water loss, runoffs and evaporation.
4. GNLD's Super Gro acts as an emulsifier to disperse oils.
5. GNLD's Super Gro acts as a wetting agent to lower surface tension.
6. GNLD's Super Gro acts as a dispersing agent to reduce adhesion between particles of chemicals.
7. GNLD's Super Gro makes other agricultural treatments a farmer uses (like fertiliser, insecticides and pesticides), perform better by helping them penetrate deeper, stick better, stay longer and work more effectively.
8. GNLD's Super Gro is very cost effective.

KEY BENEFITS OF USING SUPER GRO ON FISH FARM
1. Super Gro promotes the uniform growth of fish.
2. With Super Gro Your fish becomes bigger and the same size.
3. Super Gro naturally promotes the growth of plankton inside the pond and this not only prevents the death of fish, it prevents the fish from feeding each other.
4. Super Gro also reduces how often you need to change the water in your fish pond because it increases the amount of oxygen dissolving in the pond.
5. Super Gro reduces ammonia level and maintains the natural water PH in the pond.
6. Super Gro can be used in plastic, mud or concrete ponds.
7. Super Gro is more hygienic because it prevent odour and scurrying.

Several domestic and agricultural applications - indoors & outdoors.
Economical - just one or two drops per litre of water (1:1,000 dilution)

Would you be looking for a product which helps fertilizes your Farms and Gardens?
Ask us today for GNLD's Super Gro fertiliser in (5 Litre) It's Based in Nature, Backed by Science.
Make your Orders today with our Independent Distributor.
When you place an order with our management, you shall get our FREE gifts;
1. A customized GNLD Carrier Bag.
2. A 3 in one CD about Super Gro.
3. Vivid document and handbills of Super Gro in English, Hausa and Yoruba Languages.

FREE SHIPMENT NATIONWIDE IS ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED WHEN YOU MAKE AN ORDER FOR TWO OR MORE GALLONS VIA FEDEX COURIER SERVICE.

Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by crystalf: 10:18pm On Nov 05, 2015
calebadex:
Note:

How do I get my soil tested
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 7:34am On Nov 06, 2015
crystalf:

How do I get my soil tested
By using soil ph kits or testing in a laboratory.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by noblefarm: 8:01am On Nov 06, 2015
calebadex:

Which stores sale soil ph kits nd like how much do they sell
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 11:48am On Nov 06, 2015
noblefarm:

Which stores sale soil ph kits nd like how much do they sell
Go to ur nearest ADP or ministry of Agriculture.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by crystalf: 6:23pm On Nov 06, 2015
Please help what's wrong with these Tomatoes

Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by jethro2: 9:55pm On Nov 06, 2015
noblefarm:

Most tomatoes seed don't do so well in rainy season. Its advisable to get some basic trainings and knowledge before venturing into tomato planting. No online lecture can successfully grow tomato.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by jethro2: 9:58pm On Nov 06, 2015
calebadex:
Yes, dry season tomato is the hardest but the best and the most lucrative for those that can endure.
Rainy season is not ideal for tomatoes because tomatoes abhor too much water.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by jethro2: 10:02pm On Nov 06, 2015
calebadex:
Note:
I will suggest you pause the tomato training and concentrate on your plantain.
Most of what you wrote about tomatoes are quite misleading.
Please work more on your tomato stuff.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by jethro2: 10:04pm On Nov 06, 2015
calebadex:
There is more to soil test than PH and the Lab. Please do your due dilligence
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by jethro2: 10:17pm On Nov 06, 2015
crystalf:
There has been a lot of challenges with tomato planting this year. Both in the North and in the South west. The Northerners nicknamed third tomato Ebola while the south west are yet to find a tangible solution.
Even Dangote tomato was not spared.
My ranting is for you to do more research of what is happening in your area. Check other farmers farm if they are also having the same challenges. Ask questions around.
Tomato is a very delicate crop that needs good care and attention. What happens in one location can not be related to another location. Every area with their own challenges.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by crystalf: 2:59am On Nov 07, 2015
jethro2:

There has been a lot of challenges with tomato planting this year. Both in the North and in the South west. The Northerners nicknamed third tomato Ebola while the south west are yet to find a tangible solution.
Even Dangote tomato was not spared.
My ranting is for you to do more research of what is happening in your area. Check other farmers farm if they are also having the same challenges. Ask questions around.
Tomato is a very delicate crop that needs good care and attention. What happens in one location can not be related to another location. Every area with their own challenges.

Thanks Madam
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by lanre2009: 4:46am On Nov 07, 2015
This video might help you learn one or two things regarding tomatoes cultivation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1TRuv0odQw
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 8:39am On Nov 07, 2015
jethro2:

There is more to soil test than PH and the Lab. Please do your due dilligence
wat i use is wat i wrote, nt reading articles to write. Tanx. I write on my experience, and to acquire more from practical farmers. Nt criticism.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 8:45am On Nov 07, 2015
crystalf:
pls, know first maybe ur land nutrients are normal.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 8:58am On Nov 07, 2015
jethro2:

I will suggest you pause the tomato training and concentrate on your plantain.
Most of what you wrote about tomatoes are quite misleading.
Please work more on your tomato stuff.
dis how i plant my tomatoes and give me good yields. So jethro, stop criticism. Dis is Agriculture, different people wit diferent , Agriculture method. E.g some people hav started planting yams and some people hav nt even started clearing there land. So Mr jethro, Mr no All, Mr criticism stop criticising and share ur own method. This is wat i am doin to feed, and to acquire all wat i hav today. Though, i am nt an agricultural analyst bt i am a farmer. No knowledge is lost.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by calebadex(m): 9:31am On Nov 07, 2015
My people try and read dis quotes, and apply it in ur agricultural business. A farmer must nt be expecting 60% and above good in is business every year. Period of lost will surely come. Wen it come, pray to God, listen to all advice bt be wise in choosing.
--“I think everyone should experience defeat at least once during their career. You learn a lot from it.” – Lou Holtz
--“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” – Mark Twain
-- Wen u fail, many advice will come from both knowledgeable and noneticals, bt be wise in ur next step." -Calebadex.
Re: How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer. by jethro2: 2:46pm On Nov 07, 2015
calebadex:
wat i use is wat i wrote, nt reading articles to write. Tanx. I write on my experience, and to acquire more from practical farmers. Nt criticism.
calebadex:
dis how i plant my tomatoes and give me good yields. So jethro, stop criticism. Dis is Agriculture, different people wit diferent , Agriculture method. E.g some people hav started planting yams and some people hav nt even started clearing there land. So Mr jethro, Mr no All, Mr criticism stop criticising and share ur own method. This is wat i am doin to feed, and to acquire all wat i hav today. Though, i am nt an agricultural analyst bt i am a farmer. No knowledge is lost.
Grow up.
You ve got a lot to learn.
Cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

IJEOMA'S SEAFOOD - Smoked Dried Prawns - Crayfish Available From Oron / Tomatoes Farmers Let Us Meet Here / Nigeria And Morocco Sign Agreement To Establish Chemicals Platform In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.