Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,813 members, 7,956,075 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:23 AM

The Monetary Value Of Nairaland - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Monetary Value Of Nairaland (1539 Views)

Ladies Only: I Am The Most Handsome Guy In The History Of Nairaland. / True Value Of Friends / The Strategic Blunders Of Cbn’s Monetary Policy Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by OldGlory1(m): 9:58pm On Oct 13, 2006
Shame on all the Naysayers. I bought Google Stock @ $320 and it is selling for $420 Nasdaq: Goog. That is what you fools said when Rupert Murdoch bought Myspace.com for $600Million. Now myspace.com is now worth $10Billion today. Seun maybe you need to sell Nairaland.com for N100,000 and let a real free marketer show you the potential/power of open minds and free markets.

Because you look at this site like a " personal possesion" instead of a "platform", that is why your mentality and opinions remain stagnant.In other words if Saddam Seun dies, Nairaland.com will die too. You need to learn how to think outside of the box. If the Founders of Google die in a plane crash, Google will be here for the next Hundred years. Yahoo and Microsoft offered in excess of $1Billion for Youtube.com. Are you telling me that all these companies have not made mega profits for their investors? Nigerians need exposure. Seun you claim to be a "Free Marketer", but yet you are really a Soviet Era strong arm economist. Has Nairaland made a profit? What is it worth? I will make you a N150,000 offer to buy you out.

Freethinker!!!
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by Seun(m): 11:37pm On Oct 13, 2006
if Saddam Seun dies, Nairaland.com will die too.
Life is more important than a forum. If a valuable human being is facing death, it's ok for a mere forum to die.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by Christino(m): 12:32am On Oct 14, 2006
I think the man should be allowed to die (because that's the surest thing) and let his works live forever, just like we still have the works of Da Vinci, Michael Angelo and Shakespeare today.

Anywhere, everywhere, there is always a replacement for someone, that is, someone must take over, or carry on or reinvent. So no shaking. Life goes on and so does your work.

Back @ topic

Please what is the valuation of metacafe as well as videocodezone and real video?
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by onyek: 1:12am On Oct 14, 2006
OldShame

You are a very funny man. Is that your own version of a "google type" bid to buy nairaland.com? If so you will have to do a lot better than 150,000 naira. This forum is worth a lot more.

BTW, if you're so hot start your own! There's room for everyone. After all we are yet to have large billion dollar website come out of Africa so let the battle begin!!

Google are very sharp. They know exactly how they will monetize youtube. I read somewhere they are planning to share advertising revenue with the owners of the video content a la Revver.com

I think it's fantastic that a website that was started just over 20 months ago has gone on the block for $1.65bn. This goes to show anything is possible. Bebo.com is owned and run by a British guy. That is the 2nd most trafficked website after myspace.com. Viacom offered him $750m to buy the site and he said no. He only started the website last year

Exit timelines are getting shorter because the amounts moving to online advertising are increasing quarter by quarter. I think free content is the business model from now on which would make exclusive copyright very valuable depending on the target audience. You now have companies that are being setup just to trade intellectual property.

I'm looking forward to the couple of years. It's going to be fantastic
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by OldGlory1(m): 1:35am On Oct 14, 2006
Onyek

What do you think the value of Nairaland.com is? I am curious to know what you mean by "A lot more than N150,000". There are millions of Nairaland.com. How do you valuate it. Why is it personal? Is it because it is only for Nigerians? Please explain the Unique features of the site and why i should pay more than N150K? From a strictly investor stand point, i think the owner of the site, makes the site a lot cheaper, because of too many damn rules.

Youtube,myspace,angieslist and sites like that are successful because they understand that it is people that make the site great, not the owners of the site. And these sites are all global and were all started in some Garage or a Basement. Difference is that a typical Nigerian site Administrator loves the bully pulpit and therefore cannot progress.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by onyek: 1:53am On Oct 14, 2006
OldShame

Nairaland.com has over 60,000 members on it. Everytime I come here there always seems to be a lot of activity and comments. A forum dies if you do not have active posters. Nairaland.com also gets a lot of traffic, page views etc. Now if Seun could join some more affiliate CPA programs and throw up some more ads, he would probably make much more than he does at the moment. Also because he has a "sticky" site, i.e. the content is interesting enough for people to stay on, then he could direct sell advertsing space to large internationals. There would be a lot of multinational companies interested in his demographic.

So that's why it's worth alot more than 150,000 naira. And please don't think I'm getting personal. The more Nigerian entrepreneurs the better. And as for him policing the forum, with amount of traffic it gets he has to keep it free of spammers otherwise people will leave.

Good for you on your goodle buy. It jumped when they bought youtube so you are definitely in the money
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by yme5: 2:46pm On Oct 14, 2006
I wont be surpised if google comes up with the idea of buying nairaland as well. Admin what do you think? angry
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by OldGlory1(m): 9:41pm On Oct 14, 2006
@Admin

Why are words so hard for you? You keep deleting my post. Not Good !!!! If you do not like what people say, you should learn to ignore it and stop being a w**k*!! But again Free Markets are for free people!! Google is a typical Free Enterprise Company and Nairaland.com is one man's mind set. There is a clear difference in approach/Mind set.

Google stock has gone up 6 points since the deal was announced, so i think "Real Investors" are pleased.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by Nobody: 12:35am On Oct 16, 2006
@Oldshame

I doubt words are hard for Suen, stupid and silly words like yours are hard for everyone and should be deleted because they make no sense. There are millions of other messageboards out there, go and buy one of them and turn it into Youtube or Google. Even go a step further with your strong free mind, set up your own board and make it a billion dollar messageboard. On your board, I'm positive there will be adverts on the left, right, top and botton corner of the board with 3 pop-ups to follow.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by OldGlory1(m): 9:40pm On Oct 16, 2006
Donzman

You are really weak!!! What is the Buying Power of those maybe 10,000 real members of NL. I visit many other sites everyday and it is only Nigerian/African Forums like these that are very restrictive. I will not pay more than N150K. What do you think the Value is? I am not an IT person and therefore i will not be interested in setting up a webpage.I in the Automobile Business and have been very successful at that.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by Ugwumba(m): 9:55pm On Oct 16, 2006
hmmmm, wetin jealousy dey cause na wa oh!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin. Start your own site and then sell it to Google at as high a price as you can: fake ass entrepreneur. angry angry angry angry

PS - no one really cares a sh*t how much you made on Google. Some of us were on the Google train at the IPO and have not made as much noise as you who bought at $320.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by Seun(m): 12:08am On Oct 17, 2006
Give me 25 billion naira and Nairaland will be yours.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by OldGlory1(m): 4:10am On Oct 17, 2006
Ugwumba

You are tripping!! My point about the Google stock was that it was a smart move for them to acquire Youtube and not for bragging rights. Please check yourself. Google has made a lot of money for their stock holders and therefore we should all assume that the move to buy Youtube for $1.65Billion was the right move. And since the acquisition google stock has risen. You dig?
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by naijafan(m): 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2006
@seun

forget all ur 25billion naira talk. u go beg if person talk say he wan withdraw hin offer of N10million, maybe less self! man must chop na.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by Seun(m): 5:16pm On Oct 17, 2006
If a rational investor wants to buy Nairaland for 10 million naira, it means the site can generate that much. In that case, it would be best for me to stick with the site and earn my 10 million naira naturally while retaining control. It's not as if there's an operation I need to perform urgently that needs 10 million naira. There's no need to hurry.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by naijafan(m): 8:10am On Oct 18, 2006
you still don't understand. you said a rational investor. it probably means the guy has a juicy biz plan and feels with the following you have garnered for nairaland, he could use it as his starting point (same as the google-youtube wahala). If those guys held on to youtube, they wouldnt make a tenth of that amount from it till they died. same thing applies here. probably the 10 mill was a lil' bit small, but come to think of it; you could do something more profitable with that amount, except u're making millions behind our back anyway wink

sincerely, if i had started nairaland, i wouldnt give it away for any amount (alibaba.com style).
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by OldGlory1(m): 5:26pm On Oct 18, 2006
No body will offer N10,000,000. Listen Youtube had 72 Million frequent users from all over the world. They had been in existence for just over a year, and you cannot imagine what they will be in the next 5yrs and i think Google got a deal. Now Nairaland has maybe 4,000 regular users and 99% are Nigerian. Plus we have an administrator that has rules and regulations up the wazoo!! Including the newest an most ridiculous one that says we must all emphasize our location. I am telling you that even with 100,000 members Nairaland maybe worth N150,000-N200,000 Max!!
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by naijafan(m): 6:15pm On Oct 18, 2006
Old Shame, it can't be that bad now. I agree with you that seun has now turned himself to be a dictator here but u'knw, its his stuff. i feel we should just play along. but really, why would i want to buy a forum off someone else? forums <> video sharing sites

one thing i dont accept from seun is deleting people's post if they contradict his views, that's really bad. i've seen a lot of that in some threads and attimes, i'm always unlucky not to have seen the deleted post sad. seun, please we should have some level of freedom of speech and expression in here.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by Seun(m): 12:30am On Oct 19, 2006
Here we go again.
Re: The Monetary Value Of Nairaland by NairalandSARS: 11:23am On Sep 16, 2017
Lol

(1) (Reply)

Long Distance Relatonship: Are They Worth It? / .. / A Lesson To All Those Who Drink And Drive!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.