Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,498 members, 7,826,872 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (87993 Views)

A Thread For "James Hadley Chase" Readers. / All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Shear Your James Hadley Chase With Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by dagaro(m): 9:39am On Feb 17, 2006
nicetohave:

Believe this you'll believe anything?
Wrong!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 5:17am On Feb 18, 2006
Dagaro please share the answer now  cool

And to all my quiz lovers, the eagle is flying for the last time; the fifth and final quiz is on its way but before i roll it out, please remember:

quiz 1: bagoma won and has collected her chase
quiz 2: cushman won, would have sent his copy but his mailing address crashed with the PMs so please cushman check my profile for my email and send your mailing address to me again, i want to send your copy on thursday 23 feb.
quiz 3: nicetohave won (because no one gave a correct answer)  cheesy
quiz 4: Jalal won and has collected his chase

the eagle is preparing to fly for the last time  cool
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by Jalal(m): 12:04pm On Feb 18, 2006
author=Seun link=topic=2724.msg211003#msg211003 date=1140079050]
The story is a murder story, so I am offended by it. angry
[quote][/quote]
@Seun, thanks for ur comments too, everyone is entitled to his /her opinions, but maybe i will make up a love story specially for u!!!!!!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by Jalal(m): 12:06pm On Feb 18, 2006
oops i got da quote wrong!!!!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 1:19pm On Feb 18, 2006
@ nicetohave, my contact/postal address is in your mailbox grin
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 2:35pm On Feb 18, 2006
@ jalal
you can click on modify button to correct the error. sorry. smiley wink

@ nicetohave, our able quiz master. more greese to your elbow.
now let the eagle fly!!! cheesy
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by Jalal(m): 9:18pm On Feb 18, 2006
Well Seun, heres ur story as promised,
Disclaimer, Any reference to people dead, alive or virtual is purely intentional Oops sorry coincidental!!!!! It is a total creation of the authors creative (?) mind!!!

CHAPTER ONE
Well GET A LOAD OF THIS, my marriage to CADE turned out to be a HIT AND RUN affair, the bitch really HIT me WHERE IT HURTS (my heart) and ONE BRIGHT SUMMER MORNING ran away with my money. It was a SHOCK TREATMENT!!! as I thought she really loved me, but WHY PICK ON ME? Well sooner or later, i will catch up with her, as GOLDFISH HAVE NO HIDING PLACE and since i have AN EAR TO THE GROUND, i figure she has BUT A SHORT TIME TO LIVE, (This sounds familiar no?) Anway I must state once again that I am not BELIEVED VIOLENT.

CHAPTER TWO
BELIEVE THIS YOU WILL BELIEVE ANYTHING, I am going to HAVE A CHANGE OF SCENE once again, this time i am on my way to Naijaland, where i learnt anything goes!!!For a start I am going to smuggle in lots of cash concealed in a COFFIN FROM HONG KONG so as to confuse the EFCC boys!!! THIS IS FOR REAL and YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!

CHAPTER THREE
My contact Mal- Olori (MALLORY) picked me up at the airport and took me to a hotel in Ojuelegba, which he told me was the best area for tasting the FLESH OF THE ORCHID, Later that night, I attended a P-Square concert, that was where i saw Sinazy, It was as if MISS SHUMWAY(had) WAVED A WAND over me,the sight of her was hypnotic, she was a hot-angel and had looks that could MAKE THE CORPSE WALK. She was shaking her bizzy body to the beats. I couldnt resist the temptation to talk to her, So i went over and said, "WELL NOW MY PRETTY, wats your name"? She sized me up and said, "YOU MUST BE KIDDING, DO ME A FAVOUR, DROP DEAD"!!!. But i wasn't to be discouraged. As i was on my way back to the hotel, I was accosted by two policemen, "Oga where's your particulars"?, one of them asked, i was speechless and the only thing i could say turned out to be the P-Square lyrics which i had picked up at the club and which were runnung through my mind, it went like this "Oga police, na wetin be dis? U jus dey stress me, dey vex me, which kind yawa be dis"!! The police officers were apparently shocked as one of them yelled, "Ehen, so u think you are smart ehn? This is refamation, i mean defamation and drunk walking!! U must settle us or u go spend the night for cell nonsense"!!! Well since i had THE WORLD IN MY POCKET, that wouldnt be a problem i thought, i brought out some crisp dollar notes, the WHIFF OF MONEY brought them to full attention and i gave them $100 dollars. Emm "HAVE A NICE NIGHT," sir they exclaimed and saluted. Well seems "I HOLD THE FOUR ACES, now" I thought,
"This one na COME EASY GO EASY o"!!! I heard one say to the other,

CHAPTER FOUR
The next day, I saw her again at Nairaland, the local joint, she was the cyncosure of all eyes, mustering up all my courage i went up to her and offered her a drink saying "HAVE THIS ONE ON ME", she accepted it and poured the contents over my shirt, "TELL IT TO THE BIRDS"!!!, she replied. Her action sent an electric shock through my body, somewhat like A HOLE IN THE HEAD!! "WELL THERES ALWAYS A PRICE TAG", I thought, "WHATS BETTER THAN MONEY"?, its just a matter of time, till "when you are mine", i consoled myself.Thats when Bagoma came up to me and said " Sorry about my friends behaviour, a guy once gave her the DOUBLE SHUFFLE, thats why guys to her should be TRUSTED LIKE THE FOX!!!! But you seem such a goodguy so dont worry, i'll put in a good word for you. "YOU MUST BE KIDDING"!! I said, "not at all", she replied, "anyway nice2have spoken to you". Isheun the owner of Nairaland came up to me and apologized "sorry, sometimes it gets rowdy in here, I keep trying to enforce the rules but to no avail!! He handed me a shirt with the inscription "Nairaland rocks" on the front, "TRY THIS ONE FOR SIZE" as yours is ruined, he said. "Thanks", i said "I shall treasure it", anyway do you have a size TREIZE (13) for my soulsista Nike4luv ? Sure he replied, please dont forget to register as a member, you could stand the chance of winning a place in our Top ten Nairalanders promotion and win some great prizes". "Ok", i replied," hey also i really like this your joint, are you willing to sell? A million dollars STRICTLY FOR CASH"? No thanks, he replied, I WOULD RATHER STAY POOR, than sell Nairaland. "Ok", i replied but dont forget, YOU HAVE YOURSELF A DEAL, if you change your mind". "Hmm", thought Isheun, "first, they want my head for being so strict, now they want my job!!!, Seems I will be SAFER DEAD"!!, Anyway Nairaland and I, WE'LL SHARE A DOUBLE FUNERAL!!!

CHAPTER FIVE
SIX MONTHS LATER,
After a lot of follow ups!!!

KNOCK KNOCK, (pounding on my door) WHO'S THERE?,I asked, "Its me Sinazy"!! "Really!!, Well they say THE VULTURE IS A PATIENT BIRD!!!!, I shouted with joy. "And U'VE GOT IT COMING", she smiled, came in and closed the door,
Well the rest is x-rated, so FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!, but just know that, as I am about to LAY(figure of speech o!!!) HER AMONG THE LILIES, MY LAUGH (still) COMES LAST!!!! Once again!!!!!

THE END
Hahahaha SEUN that was specially for u!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 9:07am On Feb 19, 2006
@jalal, that was brilliant! But tell me something; how many JHCs have you read so far?
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by bagoma(f): 3:09pm On Feb 19, 2006
jalal,
I couldnt believe what i was reading. WOW! that was um um em words fail me. but let borrow cushmans words that was[b] brilliant[/b].
i was laughing all through. very funny i tell you. grin cheesy grin cheesy
well done o.
i hope seun likes the story.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by Jalal(m): 8:01pm On Feb 19, 2006
@Bagoma and Cushman, thanks once again!!!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by twinstaiye(m): 1:26pm On Feb 21, 2006
Nice memories you guys are bringing on here. I love it. Can we make it more interesting by bringing out some of those lines and phrases in the novel that brought the topic. I will start with some of them as follows:

"No deal Mr Sladen, I think you are bluffing, anyway, you will be safer dead"

"If i dont find the killer of my brother, I'll bury my dead"

"if you dont produce my daughter in 3 days time, consider yourself dead

"
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 2:06pm On Feb 21, 2006
twinstaiye:

"If i don't find the killer of my brother, I'll bury my dead"

A little correction here, this one goes like this:

"I'll bury my dead, you see in our family we bury our dead and thats why im going to find my brother's killer."
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by twinstaiye(m): 2:26pm On Feb 21, 2006
niceto have, I concur, you know I did all the above off head, and I must admit it is been a long time say early 80s when I read those novels. But something still tells me, there is a line like the one I posted above. By the way, i am yearning to read some of those novels once again, but I cant find where i can buy them. am resident in abuja, any tip for me? Like yourself, I intend to have a collections too.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 3:23pm On Feb 21, 2006
Hi twinstaiye, youre welcome. I have a contact in Nigeria that is presently selling me my James Hadley chase, i can recommend him because till date i am getting 64 chase from him (including my recent transaction) so if you have an email address id email his email addy to you, you can contact him, i think he's in Kano or something.

Cushman, did you get my email? Please respond o, i am waiting. Thanks.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by corlay(m): 11:46pm On Mar 02, 2006
Quiz time, guys!!!!!! 1.he is lean,wiry with blue eyes and a maddening wife. 2.he is tall,well built,has streaks of grey in hair,a philanderer,has a knack 4 getting out of tough situations and also sometimes an unofficial agent. 3.head of universal services with a brown-eyed beautyas partner find out these characters and remember, THERE IS ALWAYS A PRICE TAG
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 12:03am On Mar 03, 2006
1) Detective Tom Lepski

2) Mark Girland

3) Vic Malloy (his secretary, Paula)

How many did i get right? cheesy
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by corlay(m): 2:09am On Mar 03, 2006
that was brilliant,nicetohave.u are what chase would have called a smart cookie.yes, u got the answers but take this!!!!!! 1.wears an orange wig because he is bald as an egg 2.thin,birdlikewith spectacles 3.cop who controls the cophouse when Terrel is not around, TRY THIS ONE ON FOR SIZE
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by corlay(m): 2:22am On Mar 03, 2006
Most people would not believe it, but Chase has only been to the U.S twice though most of his settings are from there. He had an American slang dictionary and a comprehensive map of the U.S. He was also a salesman in a bookstore and was inspired by the works of Hemmingway,Chandler and others before deciding to try his hand at novel writing. His first,THE FLESH OF THE ORCHID was an instant success.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 3:14am On Mar 03, 2006
corlay your questions are coming with less and less clue, just check out your 1st and 2nd question :

anyway the 3rd one is sergeant ehm, ehm Jezz wtf? the name will come to me later, but please supply the answers:

corlay:

His first,THE FLESH OF THE ORCHID was an instant success.

Yeah you got his biography right but his first novel is NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH, the first and what most chase fans believe is the "hottest", i think so too. The flesh of the Orchids is sequel to NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by simmy(m): 1:20pm On Mar 03, 2006
My favourite JHC o f ALL times is THe weary transgressors. It was such a pathetic story man!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by cushman(m): 11:16am On Mar 06, 2006
I've just picked my own copy of JHC.

@nicetohave, thanks for such a wonderful prize and keeping your word. we need more people like you here wink
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 11:19am On Mar 06, 2006
Im glad you got it cushman.

my apologies to the thread readers. The final question will come soon, been tied up with professional demands but please be on the lookout.

James Hadley Chase is dead, but his work lives on!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by losky(m): 1:11pm On Mar 17, 2006
his books triggered the reading habit for me.i remember my very first - the way the cooky crumbles.
but somewhere along the line,i kinda noticed that they all have a particular pattern (my personal opinion) and that became kinda boring.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 2:19pm On Mar 17, 2006
yeah they kind of have a similar pattern but the plot is worth the read, well i mean how can a single man write over 100 books withour some having similar pattern, even robert ludlum novels have a particular taste to it cool
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by harbbey(m): 5:39pm On Mar 18, 2006
Hello everyone, am an ardent reader of james hadley chase, at my last count i av read about 80 different hadley chase, my read my first chase when i was im primary 4 (WANT TO STAY ALIVE: POKE TOHOLO).I had to wrap the novrl coz my friends were always calling me a bad boy(coz of the screaming front covers).The title of the novel in question is "my laugh comes last" in fact i can remember d summary, it goes thus "the safest bank in the world they call it, at least the press do when it was given a world wide publicity. The man who wanted to break into it was no fool, he was a ghost out of branniger past, murder and blackmail were just games to him"
i just finished another of David baldacci's novel "SPLIT SECOND" man the guy is one of the BOMB.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 8:21pm On Mar 18, 2006
Hi harbbey, nice to have another chase fan in the house cheesy
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by Bishop(m): 6:14pm On Mar 30, 2006
Hey guys
this is a nice place to be,bringing back memories of days gone bye,as a teenager you I.Q are measured then by the nos of James hardley Chase novels you have read.

i look back to those golden days when we where nicknamed james hadley chase by even our fans who follow our conquest of pees in reading competion.

I dont and cant remember our many of chase's book i have read but i know THE WAY THE COOKIES CRUMBLE. KNOCK KNOCK WHO IS THERE ?THE VULTURE IS A PATIENT BIRD,THE WHIFF OF MONEY,COFFING FROM HONG KONG,EVE,THERE IS A HIPPIE ON THE HIGHWAY, OOOOOH dony let me think back a very good memory though,

There is one i am trying to remeber :this guys steal and uses perfumes to kill those who double crossed him
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by beyunce(f): 7:28pm On Mar 30, 2006
WELL I LOVE JAMES HADLEY CHASE NOVEL THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY SUPERBAB.
WELL I DIG THE SEUN STORY OH.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by omogenikky(f): 9:25pm On Mar 30, 2006
i love james hardley chase, i have read almost all his books, i still pick them up at the library to re-read. I remember when I started reading chase in secondary school, I used to think I was such a sleuth, ha, chase,
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by Zino(f): 11:54am On Apr 03, 2006
Chase? Not bad. Especially 'cos you find youself jerking off to them at the end of each novel.
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by ofud: 8:44pm On Apr 12, 2006
NiceToHave, Bagoma and Cushman - where u all at? I just followed this thread and it seems now the heat had died down somewhat but Niceto Have: thanks for the memories.

I used to read Chase in high school in Kenya but now they are nowhere to be found. I heard someone say that there is a dealer in Kano - can someone let me know how to get in touch with them? Would they ship overseas?

Oh - my favourite character was Malik - the Russian. Such a brute! They all have the same plot but for me it is the suspense that always made it worthwhile!!! Long Live Chase!
Re: James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience by nicetohave(m): 8:54pm On Apr 12, 2006
Its been a hectic period but i still have one more post before i round up on james hadley chase. Thanks for the contribution ofud.

Yeah there is a dealer in Kano, and i have bought about 50 from him of recent, i think he might ship abroad if you make the proper arrangements with him. check my email and i'll send you his email addy.

welcome on board ofud and please be part of my last quiz on JHC cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

On The Run (A Blockbuster Series) / Slaves In The Soul : A Novelette / Three Paths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.